ADVERTISEMENT

Homeless student report - guess it depends on how one defnines homeless

hunkgolden

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saw a report on wthr (linked) which gave figures on how many homeless students are enrolled in schools by county in the state. Homelessness, as defined by the DOE, means a student is living in a home in which his parent(s) name is not on the deed, mortgage, or lease. By this definition, I know lots and lots of fairly "well off" families who have been homeless at one time or another - my immediate family included. Several years ago, I received a promotion and moved from Ohio back to Indy. We lived with my parents for several months until our house sold in Ohio and then purchased a home here. I know several families that have done the same. Little did I know that we were all considered "homeless".

Kids of divorced parents who move with their mom into her parents home til she can find a place of her own are considered "homeless". I know lots of lots of people who fall into this category. All of them could afford a place of their own but it's much easier to move into a furnished home with built in babysitters/daycare (aka grandparents) so why not do it?

Kids of families who very much intentionally live in very large homes with other families are considered homeless. This multi-family living style is a very common practice amongst certain ethnic groups.

A kid who lives with his/her mom in their boyfriend's home would be considered "homeless" if the mom's name was not on the mortgage or lease.

My wife would've been considered homeless for the first two years we were married as my name was the only one on our apartment lease. She was making more money than I at the time too - LOL.

No doubt there is an agency somewhere that is using these figures in an attempt to garner local, state, and federal funds to help deal with the "homeless" problem.

This post was edited on 6/23 10:47 AM by hunkgolden

Agencies padding #'s looking for $?

Follow the money

We have incentivized poverty, homelessness, illegitimacy, etc. Hence, we get more of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT