ADVERTISEMENT

Hiring A Defensive Coordinator As a Head Coach Is Sure Working Out Well For Purdue!

Oct 30, 2010
How lucky Purdue was to get a DC from Illinois to become their head coach! At the rate Purdue is going, I can see why they were picked to be last in the Big Ten.
Ryan Walters is sure making those prognosticators look good. Is there a chance that there will be another win this season? I know the schedule is formidable, but
I'm wondering if there is any hope at all as long as Walters crew are in charge! Perhaps it is time for Purdue to bite the bullet and get rid of Walters and hire someone else!

I think the AD should be let go first. This shootshow is all on him.
I agree. Sad to say, but I don't believe the AD is committed to having a good football program. Based on the way he operates, if he was looking for a basketball coach his criteria would be: It has to be someone who has never been a head coach and someone who has never been an assistant at a successful program!

Reactions: boilermaker75
How lucky Purdue was to get a DC from Illinois to become their head coach! At the rate Purdue is going, I can see why they were picked to be last in the Big Ten.
Ryan Walters is sure making those prognosticators look good. Is there a chance that there will be another win this season? I know the schedule is formidable, but
I'm wondering if there is any hope at all as long as Walters crew are in charge! Perhaps it is time for Purdue to bite the bullet and get rid of Walters and hire someone else!
The question of the day ….. if we go winless the rest of the season does Bobo pull the trigger? Honestly I’m on the fence if he does. Although he is 66/67 now so maybe he just cashes in and heads down to FL to play golf.

I don’t think hiring a former DC as necessarily bad. However, make sure that DC has head coaching experience and has a track in recruiting, which Walters definitely does not have either.

I agree. Sad to say, but I don't believe the AD is committed to having a good football program. Based on the way he operates, if he was looking for a basketball coach his criteria would be: It has to be someone who has never been a head coach and someone who has never been an assistant at a successful program!

Exactly, this hire was complete incompetence on Bobinski. It is how to give your football program the worst chance of success. We ended up with FUBAR.

You do realize our secondary was supposed to be our team strength this year. And Wisconsin played us without their starting QB and RB.

Our secondary was shredded by a backup.

And their offensive line just pushed our defense any way they wanted.

Now look at Wisconsin’s recruiting classes of the past decade. What’s their priority? It’s not the QB or WR positions. Their team prioritizes the trenches!

I don’t think hiring a former DC as necessarily bad. However, make sure that DC has head coaching experience and has a track in recruiting, which Walters definitely does not have either.
Purdue did a great favor to all the other schools looking for a head coach. By hiring Walters, they took him of the market, so no other school got stuck with him!

Purdue did a great favor to all the other schools looking for a head coach. By hiring Walters, they took him of the market, so no other school got stuck with him!
No other school offered Ryan a HC position. As an Illini fan, when the Colorado job opened up (his alma mater) we all assumed he was gone. Then they hired Deion, so we figured he’d still be gone because he’d be getting a DC spot at a blue blood that we couldn’t compete with. Then ole’ Bobo came calling 😂

This is a true story: as the 2022 season was wrapping up at Illinois, Bret sat down in his office with Ryan and talked to him about the importance of taking a HC job at the right school. If you jump at the wrong fit, you set yourself up for failure. He learned that himself when he crashed and burned at Arkansas. So when Ryan let him know that Purdue was going to offer him the job, Bret called him up and told him “I love you and I want you to be a HC, but Purdue is not the right fit for you. You’d be better off waiting for a better fit.” Understandably, Ryan couldn’t say no to that contract…. But he should have.

It's not Walters fault. You're offered that much money, the worst case scenario is you get fired and walk away set for life.

Hope he's been good with his money. He's likely to never sniff that kind of coin again.

Reactions: Vassar69
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT