ADVERTISEMENT

Hire Tiller

Purduethruandthru

True Freshman
Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
As associate AD in charge of all Football operations. Show Hazell the door and Tiller can serve as interim coach. Let Tiller hire the next Football Coach.

Reactions: Redhotfill
Couldn't be any worse than what we are doing now.

heck - just make him AD. Burke's under contract you say? Well, I'm sure we can find other responsibilities for him. Move his desk down into the basement, and ask him to take care of the roach problem, or let him take over as head lifeguard at The Burke Natatorium.

As associate AD in charge of all Football operations. Show Hazell the door and Tiller can serve as interim coach. Let Tiller hire the next Football Coach.
Yes, because his selection of Hope as his successor was sheer brilliance and such a success.

I believe that there is merit to having Tiller perhaps involved in that he was the last coach to have any sustained and measurable success at Purdue in a long time, but I don't know that having him in charge of football is a great idea necessarily as the Titanic that is Purdue football was guided directly at the iceberg by him.

Yes, because his selection of Hope as his successor was sheer brilliance and such a success.

I believe that there is merit to having Tiller perhaps involved in that he was the last coach to have any sustained and measurable success at Purdue in a long time, but I don't know that having him in charge of football is a great idea necessarily as the Titanic that is Purdue football was guided directly at the iceberg by him.
Wrong. Tiller wanted Spack. Moron Burke wanted Hope.

I have an idea... We allegedly can't fire hazel cause of dollars owed? Ok so bring in tiller as a consultant and make everything these coaches do from drills to terminology to where they eat on the road something tiller has to sign off on...

I have an idea... We allegedly can't fire hazel cause of dollars owed? Ok so bring in tiller as a consultant and make everything these coaches do from drills to terminology to where they eat on the road something tiller has to sign off on...

Nobody has said that "we can't fire Hazell cause of dollars owed" except people on this forum.

I appreciate Tiller, but no thanks. He showed a lack of interest in his latter years of coaching and I don't think he's remotely interested in coaching anymore (given that he hasn't been...). I think you're forgetting Purdue's slide started with him under the helm.

And let Tiller fire Hazell's entire staff and pick new assistants for him.

I appreciate Tiller, but no thanks. He showed a lack of interest in his latter years of coaching and I don't think he's remotely interested in coaching anymore (given that he hasn't been...). I think you're forgetting Purdue's slide started with him under the helm.
What about in a "CFO" position (Chief Football Officer) until we get a new AD hired?

You'll never convince me that Tiller's last few years weren't largely the result of being tired of fighting Morgan for every dime and change and having a fly rod in WY as a retirement goal became easier and more attractive than continuing to fight. Purdue doesn't have the $$$ to get him to come back and why in the hell would a contented retiree want to?

What about in a "CFO" position (Chief Football Officer) until we get a new AD hired?

This thread is crazy town. Tiller hiring our next coach? Firing Burke and making Tiller interim AD/head coach?

You're talking incredible hypotheticals here.

This isn't a good idea nor will it ever happen.

Reactions: Bully4OldPurdue

I can just see it now:

furnace_zpse8470189.png

heck - just make him AD. Burke's under contract you say? Well, I'm sure we can find other responsibilities for him. Move his desk down into the basement, and ask him to take care of the roach problem, or let him take over as head lifeguard at The Burke Natatorium.

Ummm... is Captain Morgan even QUALIFIED for that position either??

smartass_pool_zpsvpwg00q4.jpg

Wrong. Tiller wanted Spack. Moron Burke wanted Hope.
I don't get this love fest for Spack and why they long for him to be the Head Coach. Ok he did well as a DC here, but he's not setting the FCS on fire or anything. Been at Illinois State for 7 years and no one else is knocking his door down to have him be their coach. He's came in 1st in his conference once. That includes finishes of 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 6th, and finally 1st last year. By comparison, Hope, at Eastern Kentucky, finished 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 4th, and 1st in his conference of FCS. Think Spack is in a perfect place for his head coaching talents, and that's at the FCS level.

Reactions: Inspector100
The people who argue for tiller back in some capacity are probably same ones who want cardinal as next AD. They just yearn a big name and that's an easy one to think of, never mind it makes no logistical sence. No way tiller has any desire to do anything other than drive his camper and host a tailgate.

That said, I certainly don't think things would be any worse with him at the helm, but that's not saying much.

I just threw this out here to start some conversation. I don't long to have Tiller back. What I do know is football was fun while he was here and we need to bring back the fun. I also know that the answer is somewhere "outside the box". I don't think MB can get outside the box.

Tiller was the beginning of this mess. While we are at it. Why don't we bring back Gene Keady?

Both of those two mailed in their final 3-4 years and caused big chunks of this existing problem.

Tiller was the beginning of this mess. While we are at it. Why don't we bring back Gene Keady?

Both of those two mailed in their final 3-4 years and caused big chunks of this existing problem.

Comparing those 2 situations is not really accurate.

Keady went to the Sweet 16 his second to last "real" year. And also recruited Carl Landry to Purdue. Keady definitely faced challenges recruiting - and it was flat out said people were recruiting negatively against him because of his age (putting false rumors about him quitting out there and such).

Comparing those 2 situations is not really accurate.

Keady went to the Sweet 16 his second to last "real" year. And also recruited Carl Landry to Purdue. Keady definitely faced challenges recruiting - and it was flat out said people were recruiting negatively against him because of his age (putting false rumors about him quitting out there and such).

Go back and look at your basketball history. From 2001-2006 Keady mailed it in ( leaving in '05). During that time we went to the Nit twice and the ncaa in 2003.

Burke enabled this behavior with both Keady and Tiller.

It appears Painter had been able to overcome.

F Tiller. He is the guy who retired on the job and started this trip to the BT basement. What we need is Kim Il Jung as AD. First guy to fall asleep gets executed (vbg).

Go back and look at your basketball history. From 2001-2006 Keady mailed it in ( leaving in '05). During that time we went to the Nit twice and the ncaa in 2003.

Burke enabled this behavior with both Keady and Tiller.

It appears Painter had been able to overcome.

I'm well aware of Purdue's basketball history. I'm also well aware you don't make the Sweet 16 when "mailing it in". Keady's age was the biggest issue - not him mailing it in.

Reactions: Inspector100
I'm well aware of Purdue's basketball history. I'm also well aware you don't make the Sweet 16 when "mailing it in". Keady's age was the biggest issue - not him mailing it in.

Please check your facts, as you are wrong. When exactly in this timeframe was Purdue in the sweet 16? From 2001 to 2006 we made the tournament one time. That was in 2003. We made it to the second round and lost to Texas.

We made the elite 8 in 2000 and then took until 2009 to make it back to sweet 16

Burke had no plan on how to deal with this and Keady mailed in his last 3-5 years. You can call it what you like - he was getting old, other coaches were making stuff up. Fine. Bottom line, athletics faltered in the final years of both Tiller and Keady.

Perhaps you have some other "memories" of Purdue in the Rose Bowl under Danny Hope that you can use to make the case for him.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Please check your facts, as you are wrong. When exactly in this timeframe was Purdue in the sweet 16? From 2001 to 2006 we made the tournament one time. That was in 2003. We made it to the second round and lost to Texas.

We made the elite 8 in 2000 and then took until 2009 to make it back to sweet 16

Burke had no plan on how to deal with this and Keady mailed in his last 3-5 years. You can call it what you like - he was getting old, other coaches were making stuff up. Fine. Bottom line, athletics faltered in the final years of both Tiller and Keady.

Perhaps you have some other "memories" of Purdue in the Rose Bowl under Danny Hope that you can use to make the case for him.

I resent that people think the GK mailed in the last few years he coached. That is not, was not, and never will be in his DNA. GK was one of the finest and most respected of anyone ever to be employed in Purdue athletics

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT