ADVERTISEMENT

Hire Bob Lamey to announce our games....

Nov 28, 2012
Bob Lamey resigned as the Colts announcer. He is one the most enthusiastic guys calling a game, and I am not even a Colts fan. We could inject some energy in the fan base having Bob call the games instead of Tim Newton. Newton is OK, but not that exciting.

Bob Lamey resigned as the Colts announcer. He is one the most enthusiastic guys calling a game, and I am not even a Colts fan. We could inject some energy in the fan base having Bob call the games instead of Tim Newton. Newton is OK, but not that exciting.
You do realize Lamey retired because he used a racial slur, right? Sorry but don't let him near our program and Tim does an awesome job imo. Highly knowledgeable and rarely makes a mistake on the air.

https://apnews.com/9271f613fb8d4750a58186a60c840b9e

Reactions: Inspector100
The "racial slur" was something he repeated from an interview in 1980 that someone else said. I think Newton is fine, just not super exciting.
Perception vs. reality.....unfortunately perception is sometimes stronger than reality and in today's world, that has to be taken in to context. The last thing I want our university explaining is...'well, it was just an interview from 1980.......'.

Perception vs. reality.....unfortunately perception is sometimes stronger than reality and in today's world, that has to be taken in to context. The last thing I want our university explaining is...'well, it was just an interview from 1980.......'.
Good point. Newton is way better than Clisby - who tends to whine the whole game. I don't think (in Larry's opinion) the refs have ever made a correct call against us. That being said - I do wish Larry the best of luck with his recovery.

Yeah, whatever you think of the logic behind Lamey's retirement/firing, he's pretty much an untouchable right now. Unfortunately, no excuse that gets made for the comments and repeating of comments is going to make the stain go away. That's just where we are in society these days. The rules are just not the same.

Putting aside the needless public relations fiasco in which hiring Lamey would result, has he been making glaring mistakes during his play-by-play the last few seasons?

I believe I read something to that effect in a comments section somewhere and wondered if there is anything to that.

Lamey did have the privilege of being a part of one of the greatest radio calls in sports history ("BOB JENKINS, WHO'S GONNA WIN IT?!"):

I have always thought Lamey was enthusiastic,but he made a lot of mistakes.A few years ago,he kept referring to a linebacker named Bart Scott as Bart Starr.

Reactions: LLaswell
Putting aside the needless public relations fiasco in which hiring Lamey would result, has he been making glaring mistakes during his play-by-play the last few seasons?

I believe I read something to that effect in a comments section somewhere and wondered if there is anything to that.

Lamey did have the privilege of being a part of one of the greatest radio calls in sports history ("BOB JENKINS, WHO'S GONNA WIN IT?!"):
"He fumbled the friggin ball"

Reactions: Roeder
I have always thought Lamey was enthusiastic,but he made a lot of mistakes.A few years ago,he kept referring to a linebacker named Bart Scott as Bart Starr.
Yeah and Jeff Friday, and the F bomb live on the air a couple years ago, and he’s 78 years old... hard pass.

Terrific call.

Terrific call.
Speaking of the Indy 500, anyone see that Tony Stewart is running in the 2019 race? Combined with F1 driver Fernando Alonso, Helio Castronevous, (and what I would hope would either be one of the Busch brothers or maybe Jeff Gordon running), it should make for a great race. I'm hoping Gene Haas and Stewart take their F1 and NASCAR experience and create another Indy Car team that can compete with Andretti and Penske. Bringing some of those F1 rivalries (Haas F1 and McClaren) would do the sport some good.

Reactions: 72Boiler
Speaking of the Indy 500, anyone see that Tony Stewart is running in the 2019 race? Combined with F1 driver Fernando Alonso, Helio Castronevous, (and what I would hope would either be one of the Busch brothers or maybe Jeff Gordon running), it should make for a great race. I'm hoping Gene Haas and Stewart take their F1 and NASCAR experience and create another Indy Car team that can compete with Andretti and Penske. Bringing some of those F1 rivalries (Haas F1 and McClaren) would do the sport some good.

I hadn't, getting Smoke is great alone but snagging the Busch brothers would make it epic. Alonso was great to follow 2 years ago.

I don't think Stewart is a lock to run yet? I might be wrong. I consider Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend an absolute formal holiday. I love the 500.
I know he wants to and said if he does it, it’s going to be a legit shot to win and took a swipe at Danica’s half effort this past year. My guess is it would either be a SHR-Penske one off team or a way to jumpstart a SHR Indycar team that is partnered with McClarrn (Alonso) or a partnership with a smaller team like Rahal-Letterman or even Foyt.

Honestly...if SHR and Foyt put their resources together, that would be amazing for the sport.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT