ADVERTISEMENT

Hewitt in Transfer Portal

buffboiler

True Freshman
Mar 4, 2002
This means that we have two existing RBs and a UNLV transfer.
What is going on in our RB situation?
I thought we have a good OL coming together.

More of WR sweep/reverses this year?

Boiler Up!!

Reactions: DAG10

Boiler Up!!

I wasn’t expecting much anyway

Boiler Up!!

Converting one of the QBs.

Boiler Up!!
How many RBs do you think we need? We only play one at a time.

I think that makes 6 guys in the last 3 years to commit or be on the team and leave. Reminds me of the CB position a bit. Barclay seems to be a pretty good recruiter, I wonder if its system or Barclay issues.

How many RBs do you think we need? We only play one at a time.
Way more than what they have...need at least a couple that can play and carry the load, and, a couple that can provide depth, develop and spell the couple that are carrying the load.

This is just another problem in what has become a long list of such...Purdue has like 10 WRs (and continues to offer multiple others), but, with arguably the best duo perhaps ever, they could not figure out a way to utilize that, and, cannot get others on the field.

I like Horvath and respect what he has done, but, let's be real...it is strictly good fortune.

As has been the case so many times and with so many other positions, Purdue is one injury away from virtual disaster.

Maybe this is all much more difficult than I seem to grasp...an offensive-driven system with offensive-minded coaching staff, and, an inability thus far (depending on what Allen ultimately is/does) to secure any sort of elite QB, and, an inability to land even a capable RB...with what was a bad excuse for an OL for at least a year, if not two, while ignoring much of the other side of the ball seemingly...and running through coaches on that other side of the ball as if they were going out of style.

If only Purdue had like 10 years to assemble a decent team...as that is about the pace it is going at...it is as if they address a position at a time as if guys don't/won't use eligibility and be there forever.

Sorry, I don't follow you point on Horvath. The guy has gotten much better each season. And he catch passes pretty well.

Maybe the plan is to use the UCLA qb to run some series...?

Reactions: Bippus33
Sorry, I don't follow you point on Horvath. The guy has gotten much better each season. And he catch passes pretty well.

Maybe the plan is to use the UCLA qb to run some series...?
He has...credit to him...pretty admirable kid, but, imagine if Purdue may have actually recruited someone in the last 5 years that was really good and could catch passes pretty well, and, that he got better each season...crazy and novel concept...what if they maybe recruited two of them?!?

I am just bothered that at this point, this program has maybe less stability than at any point...the fact that they have this problem now is like I said, just a continuance of a problem that has plagued them every year at one position or another...at what point does the HC and staff realize that you need to have quality guys that are capable at every position, and, depth as well...opposed to fixing one thing while another hole in the dam pops open somewhere else. It is not something that happens, or with any frequency or regularity, at/with other programs...never mind good ones.

He has...credit to him...pretty admirable kid, but, imagine if Purdue may have actually recruited someone in the last 5 years that was really good and could catch passes pretty well, and, that he got better each season...crazy and novel concept...what if they maybe recruited two of them?!?

I am just bothered that at this point, this program has maybe less stability than at any point...the fact that they have this problem now is like I said, just a continuance of a problem that has plagued them every year at one position or another...at what point does the HC and staff realize that you need to have quality guys that are capable at every position, and, depth as well...opposed to fixing one thing while another hole in the dam pops open somewhere else. It is not something that happens, or with any frequency or regularity, at/with other programs...never mind good ones.
It’s less stable now more so than ever? Or ever during the brohm regime

Don’t get caught up in the transfers. None of these kids played last year and weren’t going to this year.

Reactions: BBG and DAG10
Let's see we have Horvath, the King, transfer from UNLV, and I think Cross (frosh) may get some looks. Unless we have injuries and that's a biggie, we shouldn't feel the effects of losing Hewitt much, if at all.

Pretty thin nevertheless.

It’s less stable now more so than ever? Or ever during the brohm regime

Don’t get caught up in the transfers. None of these kids played last year and weren’t going to this year.
A significant point that I definitely should have qualified...I was referencing during the Brohm regime.

I am not caught up in the transfers...I am caught up in what a disaster last year's shortened season was...in large part because of a horrible hiring at DC, on the heels of a questionable firing...then, just a lot of other issues as well.

I am caught up in the constant instability at so many positions on an annual basis, with at least one position being critically unstable every year.

I am caught up in many things aside of the transfers...the concern there is not that those kids did not play, and, were likely not going to...it is that they are there and that was/is the case.

Again...I like Brohm...personally and professionally...I absolutely want him and Purdue football to succeed...but, on the heels of all that happened last year, it is critical for Purdue to have some genuine success this year...on the field, and, off of it...and, I am skeptical...skeptical given what happened, and, skeptical as well with what is happening (like no depth at the RB position...never mind any quality depth).

Huh? They brought in several transfers.
I know...just being sarcastic. They actually added some guys that will fill some roles and have some impact here, despite not doing so where they were.

One would think that RB might have been a position that they would have/will address.

I know...just being sarcastic. They actually added some guys that will fill some roles and have some impact here, despite not doing so where they were.

One would think that RB might have been a position that they would have/will address.
They brought in cross. Transfer season ain’t done

Boiler Up!!
There has to be a quality grad transfer, smart JC talented transfer or (sigh) portal transfer that can be the lightening to the Horvath and NV transfer Thunder.
Note: I only speak somewhat negative about “portal transfer” as I’ve mostly seen portal transfers as unhappy players. Most unhappy players will not magically flip and become phenomenal performers. They may become adequate performers and for our sake, I hope they do.

I think this probably tells us that he was not improving or impressing the coaches. Probably was no better than 4th on the depth chart currently.

I also think I heard in one of Brohms interviews that they were looking to use Anthrop and Sheffield out of the backfield to get more speed at the position.

Maybe Hewitt just saw the writing on the wall and wants a fresh start somewhere else.

If Purdue has 3 rbs they are comfortable with that is 2 more than they started last year with. Obviously I would like to see Cross come in and develop and give us more depth but I am certainly not going to panic over the 4th guy on the depth chart transferring.

Reactions: Purdue85
A significant point that I definitely should have qualified...I was referencing during the Brohm regime.

I am not caught up in the transfers...I am caught up in what a disaster last year's shortened season was...in large part because of a horrible hiring at DC, on the heels of a questionable firing...then, just a lot of other issues as well.

I am caught up in the constant instability at so many positions on an annual basis, with at least one position being critically unstable every year.

I am caught up in many things aside of the transfers...the concern there is not that those kids did not play, and, were likely not going to...it is that they are there and that was/is the case.

Again...I like Brohm...personally and professionally...I absolutely want him and Purdue football to succeed...but, on the heels of all that happened last year, it is critical for Purdue to have some genuine success this year...on the field, and, off of it...and, I am skeptical...skeptical given what happened, and, skeptical as well with what is happening (like no depth at the RB position...never mind any quality depth).
Get ready to be happy about a 5-7 season if that

Reactions: purduepat1969
Let's see we have Horvath, the King, transfer from UNLV, and I think Cross (frosh) may get some looks. Unless we have injuries and that's a biggie, we shouldn't feel the effects of losing Hewitt much, if at all.

Pretty thin nevertheless.
We had no depth last year because Doerue was injured, Hewitt apparently wasn't ready, and the 4* freshman preferred to smoke weed rather than concentrate on football. Do we really want to be in that same position again this year with essentially no speed or depth at running back? Because if either Horvath or Doerue gets injured, we're back to the same old same old.

We had no depth last year because Doerue was injured, Hewitt apparently wasn't ready, and the 4* freshman preferred to smoke weed rather than concentrate on football. Do we really want to be in that same position again this year with essentially no speed or depth at running back? Because if either Horvath or Doerue gets injured, we're back to the same old same old.
We have a few other guys also - but yes, the 4* was a setback...

That's great. So we have a total of 4 RBs, 2 of which have never played a down at Purdue...
Okay. RB is one of the easier positions for a Freshman to come in and play physically. RB is the least of our worries.

Let’s review the RB recruiting the past 5 years.

Tirek Murphy - transferred

King Doerue
Da’Juon Hewitt - transferred

Evan Anderson - transferred
Zander Horvath*
Alfred Armour* - transferred

(empty)

Brian Langford-Johnson - transferred
Jack Wegher - transferred

*walk on

You can over-recruit a position (see WR) and absorb transfers. But you can’t under-recruit a position, perhaps to keep your other recruits at that position happy, only to have 75% of them turn around and transfer/bust. Something needs to change with recruiting philosophy and/or coaching. We are once again badly lacking bodies and experience in the RB room.

Last edited:
Let’s review the RB recruiting the past 5 years.

Tirek Murphy - transferred

King Doerue
Da’Juon Hewitt - transferred

Evan Anderson - transferred
Zander Horvath*
Alfred Armour* - transferred

(empty)

Brian Langford-Johnson - transferred
Jack Wegher - transferred

*walk on

You can over-recruit a position (see WR) and absorb transfers. But you can’t under-recruit a position, perhaps to keep your other recruits at that position happy, only to have 75% of them turn around and transfer. Something needs to change with recruiting philosophy and/or coaching. We are badly lacking bodies and experience in the RB room.

"But you can’t under-recruit a position, perhaps to keep your other recruits at that position happy, only to have 75% of them turn around and transfer."

Are you suggesting the Purdue coaching staff purposely kept the depth low at running back to avoid upsetting Horvath?

Okay. RB is one of the easier positions for a Freshman to come in and play physically. RB is the least of our worries.
But I kept hearing last year that it was hard for freshmen RB's to pick up protection schemes and that's why no one but Horvath was getting carries. So which is it? And I would say RB and OL are two of our biggest worries seeing as how any defense with a pulse shut down our running game last year...

"But you can’t under-recruit a position, perhaps to keep your other recruits at that position happy, only to have 75% of them turn around and transfer."

Are you suggesting the Purdue coaching staff purposely kept the depth low at running back to avoid upsetting Horvath?
No. But maybe Doerue and Murphy? It happens. Not sure why else you’d under-recruit a position so severely.

But I kept hearing last year that it was hard for freshmen RB's to pick up protection schemes and that's why no one but Horvath was getting carries. So which is it? And I would say RB and OL are two of our biggest worries seeing as how any defense with a pulse shut down our running game last year...
That is the one thing, It is hard for them to pick up protection. But for a third RB, im not worried. Also, protection pick up wasnt why Murphy was on the sideline all year.

Defense is our biggest worry. OL should be fine unless there is a string of injuries.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT