ADVERTISEMENT

Hewitt in Transfer Portal

"But you can’t under-recruit a position, perhaps to keep your other recruits at that position happy, only to have 75% of them turn around and transfer."

Are you suggesting the Purdue coaching staff purposely kept the depth low at running back to avoid upsetting Horvath?
No, I think he's suggesting that roster management hasn't been all that good. You could argue that our only position of strength for the past couple of years has been at WR.

Reactions: DAG10
No. But maybe Doerue and Murphy? It happens. Not sure why else you’d under-recruit a position so severely.
One back a year is about right unless youre empty. I dont think they anticipated Murphy leaving and were too late in the recruiting cycle when he did.

That is the one thing, It is hard for them to pick up protection. But for a third RB, im not worried. Also, protection pick up wasnt why Murphy was on the sideline all year.

Defense is our biggest worry. OL should be fine unless there is a string of injuries.
I agree defense is our biggest worry. But I don't see how that can get any worse.

I understand why Murphy was sidelined (loving the weed). But why was Hewitt on the sideline all of last year? And I'm not asking because I'm wanting to be sarcastic. Really haven't heard any reasoning, which I guess means he wasn't developing?

One back a year is about right unless youre empty. I dont think they anticipated Murphy leaving and were too late in the recruiting cycle when he did.
I think you have to recruit with the mindset that some transfers will happen. But if there is a high transfer rate at a particular position that should set off some alarms - whether it is what recruits you are targeting, what you are selling them, or how they are being coached.

Reactions: Wolegib and DAG10
I agree defense is our biggest worry. But I don't see how that can get any worse.

I understand why Murphy was sidelined (loving the weed). But why was Hewitt on the sideline all of last year? And I'm not asking because I'm wanting to be sarcastic. Really haven't heard any reasoning, which I guess means he wasn't developing?

From Barclay's and Hewitt's spring interviews, it sounded like Hewitt wasn't at a good weight during his first year. In the last interview, he said he had been working on nutrition and improving eating habits to play faster. The most plausible explanation to me is that he fell to 4th on the depth chart after spring practice and saw the writing on the wall with Cross joining in the summer.

Reactions: purduepat1969
That is the one thing, It is hard for them to pick up protection. But for a third RB, im not worried. Also, protection pick up wasnt why Murphy was on the sideline all year.

Defense is our biggest worry. OL should be fine unless there is a string of injuries.
"OL should be fine unless there is a string of injuries"...you mean like exactly what happened last year?

The problem is this...you are absolutely correct in that Defense is the biggest worry, but, so is OL (and it remaining healthy), so is RB (now more so than before), and, there is still no answer at QB either.

Is there another P5 program that has 4 RBs on their roster, with only one of said 4 recruited for the position (maybe 1.5 in the case of Cross)? It does not make sense...at all...and, in light of that, it is just another concern about this staff and where the program is at the moment under its guidance (or misguidance?).

"OL should be fine unless there is a string of injuries"...you mean like exactly what happened last year?

The problem is this...you are absolutely correct in that Defense is the biggest worry, but, so is OL (and it remaining healthy), so is RB (now more so than before), and, there is still no answer at QB either.

Is there another P5 program that has 4 RBs on their roster, with only one of said 4 recruited for the position (maybe 1.5 in the case of Cross)? It does not make sense...at all...and, in light of that, it is just another concern about this staff and where the program is at the moment under its guidance (or misguidance?).
OL was fine last year. Certainly good enough to win with.

As to RB, who wasnt recruited for the position. Horvath was. Downing was. Cross certainly was. Doerue was. Are you making shit up to fit your narrative? How Wole of you

• Angry
Reactions: Wolegib

As to RB, who wasnt recruited for the position. Horvath was. Downing was. Cross certainly was. Doerue was. Are you making shit up to fit your narrative? How Wole of you
Umm...Horvath walked on, Doerue was, Downing is a transfer (and could not be more marginal of one), and, Cross is a WR/athlete that Purdue is going to have at RB largely because they have so few bodies there, not because he is an actual RB.

The OL was not fine last year...perhaps when healthy it might have constituted "fine", but, it was awful at the point that the season ended...certainly not "good enough to win with", evidenced by the fact that they could not win, and, that the OL had a lot to do with that.

Umm...Horvath walked on, Doerue was, Downing is a transfer (and could not be more marginal of one), and, Cross is a WR/athlete that Purdue is going to have at RB largely because they have so few bodies there, not because he is an actual RB.

The OL was not fine last year...perhaps when healthy it might have constituted "fine", but, it was awful at the point that the season ended...certainly not "good enough to win with", evidenced by the fact that they could not win, and, that the OL had a lot to do with that.
Horvath was a preferred walk on recruited to play HB. They offered knowing that if he did well he would earn a schollie.

OL was fine. QBs had enough time to throw. Horvath averaged 5 yards a carry. Doerue averaged 3.8. Coach abandoned the run. OL wasnt the issue.

The issue was the defense.

Perhaps this position doesn't have much with being a running back who runs, but is mainly for pass protection and catching passes. With a better OL maybe running will enter more into it

Horvath has become a stud. Would not be surprised to see him playing on Sundays (see pretty much all of the Saints' FB over the last 15 years). Doerue was a pretty highly regarded RB coming out of HS and had success his frosh year. I expect good things from him this year. Between those 2 and given how much we throw there really isn't room for a 3rd RB getting game reps unless of course there is injury. Like the poster above stated, Hewitt saw the writing on the wall and decided he would have a better chance playing elsewhere. That's completely fine especially in today's world of transfers.

Reactions: Tommaker
Perhaps this position doesn't have much with being a running back who runs, but is mainly for pass protection and catching passes. With a better OL maybe running will enter more into it
Good point on the catching ability. Horvath is a reliable option in the flat. Important for Plummer.

Horvath has become a stud. Would not be surprised to see him playing on Sundays (see pretty much all of the Saints' FB over the last 15 years). Doerue was a pretty highly regarded RB coming out of HS and had success his frosh year. I expect good things from him this year. Between those 2 and given how much we throw there really isn't room for a 3rd RB getting game reps unless of course there is injury. Like the poster above stated, Hewitt saw the writing on the wall and decided he would have a better chance playing elsewhere. That's completely fine especially in today's world of transfers.
95% this ⬆️. As long they stay healthy, no reason to think Horvath & Doerue can't carry the relatively light work load expected out of the running game.

A valid 5% is the natural anxiety to always think a year or two ahead because both of those guys are upper classmen right? What's in the hopper?

I don't get the issue with RB. We had arguably the best fullback in the nation in the last 30 years here and couldn't put together a winning season with him. Yes, you need a ground game to eat up clock, yes, you need a ground game to keep the D honest, but in the entirety of Purdue football for the last 25 years it's been smart, accurate QB's that have brought us winning seasons. We will never stock up on that position because we will never have the O-line you need to win with a running game.

I don't get the issue with RB. We had arguably the best fullback in the nation in the last 30 years here and couldn't put together a winning season with him. Yes, you need a ground game to eat up clock, yes, you need a ground game to keep the D honest, but in the entirety of Purdue football for the last 25 years it's been smart, accurate QB's that have brought us winning seasons. We will never stock up on that position because we will never have the O-line you need to win with a running game.
You could argue the 2003 team was an 11 win team with Joey Harris. They do matter, but as you say, the other pieces have to be in place.

Unless of course there is injury.

Well, yeah. It’s football and the position that takes the most abuse in football. Spreading the load also helps prevent injury, not to mention promoting competition.

IMO going into a season you should be at least 4 deep at RB before you start sniffing any walk ons.

Take a look at our RB depth chart in 2017:
Knox
Jones
Fuller
Worship
Lankford-Johnson

Last edited:
You could argue the 2003 team was an 11 win team with Joey Harris. They do matter, but as you say, the other pieces have to be in place.
Joey Harris, there's a name from the way-back machine. I think that's the year the printed version of GBI featured him prominently on the cover for the "first look" football issue...right before the academic issues. Followed a year or two later by doing the same thing with the top returning BB player. Man, I love my school. 🙄

95% this ⬆️. As long they stay healthy, no reason to think Horvath & Doerue can't carry the relatively light work load expected out of the running game.

A valid 5% is the natural anxiety to always think a year or two ahead because both of those guys are upper classmen right? What's in the hopper?
Got a point there for sure. I was mainly focused on Hewitt. He is in the same class as Doerue. I guess Cross will at least start off with RBs. I know he appears to have been recruited as an RB. He has great hands from the highlights I've seen. Seems like a natural fit to slot and use him like we did with Rondale. I guess we'll see.

Have you been watching any games the last couple of seasons? We've had the lead numerous times with 2 and 3 minutes left on the clock and couldn't run out the clock, leaving the defense (which couldn't have stopped a Jr varsity high school offense) on the field to lose the game. The Nevada game was a prime example. Not having a decent running game is how you lose close games. And I haven't seen us put up enough points to blow anyone out over the last 2 seasons. Now I know the OL has a lot to do with this. But so does the RB...

horvath had d1 offers
He did? I checked 247 sports and either they take that info off after awhile or he did not have it on their site.
https://247sports.com/player/alexander-horvath-91422/

Regardless, he is a valued contributor and I'm happy he is a Boiler.
I won't speak of the other dude till he gets on the field and performs in red zone ala Mike Alstott based on shear power and upper body strength. Oh and one more positive for that young man, he isn't a quitter!

Reactions: Riveting
Have you been watching any games the last couple of seasons? We've had the lead numerous times with 2 and 3 minutes left on the clock and couldn't run out the clock, leaving the defense (which couldn't have stopped a Jr varsity high school offense) on the field to lose the game. The Nevada game was a prime example. Not having a decent running game is how you lose close games. And I haven't seen us put up enough points to blow anyone out over the last 2 seasons. Now I know the OL has a lot to do with this. But so does the RB...
the OL yes, but the play calling also. The short passing game can be effective as running down the clock and keeping the D from bunching up on the run.

We had a solid running game in 18. My hope is that King can get healthy and start getting some DJ-like chunks.

I never mad e stuff up. you just never believed it was true. and now look where our program is - a losing program where you are hoping for 5 wins. Where are those stupid fans who were predicting 8-9 wins two years ago? Where did they all go? They are still here , but none of them will admit they know nothing other than to berate others with a differing opinion. the facts are, purdue is losing its best players. These were 4 star players , and they're leaving. You can't win BIG 10 games with walk -ons.

and gosh golly, we had another player that we recruited who was undersized so he didn't play. When is that going to stop? So he tried his best to gain weight and strength using our tremendous red shirt development program. and low and behold, he still doesn't have the strength and weight required. This is not the 70's. high school players have weight and strength training at their high schools. look at rondale moore. he was not a freak athlete. rather, he was an elite athlete who knew the importance of weight and strength training in high school . if the player is not ready to perform at the BIG 10 level when he arrives, redshirting him a year at purdue is not really going to improve his weight or strength .

But go ahead ad say we'll be just fine . RB is the least of our worries. and out the other side of your mouth you predict a 5-7 season. I guess to you going 5-7 is just fine and a reason to celebrate. and next you'll be saying that's twice as many wins as last year.

face it, All those guys who helped make our recruiting rankings look good two years ago are now all leaving. Subtract them from from that recruiting class nd the class was basically the same as what Hope and hazell were bringing in.

and now our hopes are that a Qb can play Te and another Qb can play RB ? How about in the future, we recruit TEs and RBs rather than continuing to convert Qbs to positions they never played before. Those last two Qb conversions worked really well, didn't they.

it saddens me that so many people here are so optimistic in their posts, and the n when prediction time comes around, they predict 5-6 wins at most. is that really something to brag about ? or be optimistic about? Hope could have easily gotten us 5 wins a year. And with a few breaks, hazell could have gotten 4-5 wins.

I'm sorry, where i now live, coaches get fired for 7 win seasons not being acceptable. and they are paid less than what purdue is paying brohm.

as for Carr, he played PF in high school there was never a chance he'd see any minutes at PF at purdue and he knew it. and he wasn't skilled enough to be a 3. and while i'm not on the topic, redshirting Wheeler worked out great didn't it? i highly doubt Carr will see any real time playing basketball at MSU. he basically left purdue because he didn't want to play TE. he would have made an awesome TE. Purdue had a history of previous TE's known for their catching ability. i don't know why Carr didn't want to ply TE. but that's his decision.

As i said, brohm's biggest selling point was his ability to recruit elite players. if you subtract all those elite players, how well does his ranking stand up? and by transforming QBs into TEs and RBs , their rating is inflated.

i still remember the chosen few who laughed at me when i suggested alstott be converted to RB because of his size and the fact he was an option RB in high school. and also because of the fact with all of our other QBs, he'd never throw a pass at purdue. Boy was I stupid. You surely told me where to go with that crazy idea. So how many passes did Alstott throw at purdue? and you truly believe this other Qb will make a great RB ? Wow, why didn't i think of that?

and NT, in the future, don't compare other people to me. You're a happy guy after three consecutive losing seasons, and you predicted 5 wins, and you say things will be just fine? We should have let brohm go to Louisville when he had the chance. and no, i didn't want miles or the rowing boat guy. i wanted a guy with a proven track record at a major school. I also preferred boring wins over some exciting pass happy offense. it works at iowa nd UW. Their fans are real happy with wins over pass happy teams. they attend their games to see boring low scoring grind it out wins.

i can't believe we are STILL talking about lack of depth and how 1-2 injuries could be devastating. We've had 5 years to build depth, and we still don't have it. and we never will.

ask yourself, what has brohm done besides produce a couple of high ranked recruiting classes? now subtract all those highly ranked players who left. and ask yourself again, what has brohm done? he won a mini bowl game with players hazell gave him. he beat OSU on a very emotional high game. he almost beat powerhouse nevada. and people were happy our preseason games last year were canceled and our schedule was adjusted to make it the easiest schedule in the BIG 10 last year.

i doubt purdue fires Brohm any time soon. i also doubt his replacement will be any better. i don't expect much, but at least i'm realistic. and i'm sorry going 5-7 will not make me happy or satisfied. You should never be proud or satisfied with mediocrity. and at this time many of yo u will be very happy if we go 6-6.

i want to see those posters who were predicting those 8-10 win seasons stand up and say , i'm sorry Wolegib, i was wrong and didn't know what i was talking about. because the reality is, as i've said many times before, I don't know very much about sports, but the vast majority of you that bad mouth my opinions, don't know any more than i do.

Nice baseball season for SIU. oops that's a different sport and i know how you hate me bringing up different sports.

I never mad e stuff up. you just never believed it was true. and now look where our program is - a losing program where you are hoping for 5 wins. Where are those stupid fans who were predicting 8-9 wins two years ago? Where did they all go? They are still here , but none of them will admit they know nothing other than to berate others with a differing opinion. the facts are, purdue is losing its best players. These were 4 star players , and they're leaving. You can't win BIG 10 games with walk -ons.

and gosh golly, we had another player that we recruited who was undersized so he didn't play. When is that going to stop? So he tried his best to gain weight and strength using our tremendous red shirt development program. and low and behold, he still doesn't have the strength and weight required. This is not the 70's. high school players have weight and strength training at their high schools. look at rondale moore. he was not a freak athlete. rather, he was an elite athlete who knew the importance of weight and strength training in high school . if the player is not ready to perform at the BIG 10 level when he arrives, redshirting him a year at purdue is not really going to improve his weight or strength .

But go ahead ad say we'll be just fine . RB is the least of our worries. and out the other side of your mouth you predict a 5-7 season. I guess to you going 5-7 is just fine and a reason to celebrate. and next you'll be saying that's twice as many wins as last year.

face it, All those guys who helped make our recruiting rankings look good two years ago are now all leaving. Subtract them from from that recruiting class nd the class was basically the same as what Hope and hazell were bringing in.

and now our hopes are that a Qb can play Te and another Qb can play RB ? How about in the future, we recruit TEs and RBs rather than continuing to convert Qbs to positions they never played before. Those last two Qb conversions worked really well, didn't they.

it saddens me that so many people here are so optimistic in their posts, and the n when prediction time comes around, they predict 5-6 wins at most. is that really something to brag about ? or be optimistic about? Hope could have easily gotten us 5 wins a year. And with a few breaks, hazell could have gotten 4-5 wins.

I'm sorry, where i now live, coaches get fired for 7 win seasons not being acceptable. and they are paid less than what purdue is paying brohm.

as for Carr, he played PF in high school there was never a chance he'd see any minutes at PF at purdue and he knew it. and he wasn't skilled enough to be a 3. and while i'm not on the topic, redshirting Wheeler worked out great didn't it? i highly doubt Carr will see any real time playing basketball at MSU. he basically left purdue because he didn't want to play TE. he would have made an awesome TE. Purdue had a history of previous TE's known for their catching ability. i don't know why Carr didn't want to ply TE. but that's his decision.

As i said, brohm's biggest selling point was his ability to recruit elite players. if you subtract all those elite players, how well does his ranking stand up? and by transforming QBs into TEs and RBs , their rating is inflated.

i still remember the chosen few who laughed at me when i suggested alstott be converted to RB because of his size and the fact he was an option RB in high school. and also because of the fact with all of our other QBs, he'd never throw a pass at purdue. Boy was I stupid. You surely told me where to go with that crazy idea. So how many passes did Alstott throw at purdue? and you truly believe this other Qb will make a great RB ? Wow, why didn't i think of that?

and NT, in the future, don't compare other people to me. You're a happy guy after three consecutive losing seasons, and you predicted 5 wins, and you say things will be just fine? We should have let brohm go to Louisville when he had the chance. and no, i didn't want miles or the rowing boat guy. i wanted a guy with a proven track record at a major school. I also preferred boring wins over some exciting pass happy offense. it works at iowa nd UW. Their fans are real happy with wins over pass happy teams. they attend their games to see boring low scoring grind it out wins.

i can't believe we are STILL talking about lack of depth and how 1-2 injuries could be devastating. We've had 5 years to build depth, and we still don't have it. and we never will.

ask yourself, what has brohm done besides produce a couple of high ranked recruiting classes? now subtract all those highly ranked players who left. and ask yourself again, what has brohm done? he won a mini bowl game with players hazell gave him. he beat OSU on a very emotional high game. he almost beat powerhouse nevada. and people were happy our preseason games last year were canceled and our schedule was adjusted to make it the easiest schedule in the BIG 10 last year.

i doubt purdue fires Brohm any time soon. i also doubt his replacement will be any better. i don't expect much, but at least i'm realistic. and i'm sorry going 5-7 will not make me happy or satisfied. You should never be proud or satisfied with mediocrity. and at this time many of yo u will be very happy if we go 6-6.

i want to see those posters who were predicting those 8-10 win seasons stand up and say , i'm sorry Wolegib, i was wrong and didn't know what i was talking about. because the reality is, as i've said many times before, I don't know very much about sports, but the vast majority of you that bad mouth my opinions, don't know any more than i do.

Nice baseball season for SIU. oops that's a different sport and i know how you hate me bringing up different sports.
You have had several posts where you posted shit that was later proven untrue because you are either too lazy to look or pathological. Which is it?

A lot to digest here...

I will just for the sake of being concise say that I agree with some points made (position switches not working and trying to cover recruiting misses or mistakes), too many talented guys that made up higher rated recruiting classes having left...too much reliance on walk-ons, and, just quite frankly underachieving (and I will add to it that you left out poor staff decisions).

One thing that I will strongly disagree on, however, is the notion that Hazell would have this program even remotely close to where it is, or, win 4-5 games...never has there been a more incompetent HC, who compounded it by surrounding himself with largely incompetent assistants...that guy could not win 4-5 games if the present day KC Chiefs were at his disposal.

A lot to digest here...

I will just for the sake of being concise say that I agree with some points made (position switches not working and trying to cover recruiting misses or mistakes), too many talented guys that made up higher rated recruiting classes having left...too much reliance on walk-ons, and, just quite frankly underachieving (and I will add to it that you left out poor staff decisions).

One thing that I will strongly disagree on, however, is the notion that Hazell would have this program even remotely close to where it is, or, win 4-5 games...never has there been a more incompetent HC, who compounded it by surrounding himself with largely incompetent assistants...that guy could not win 4-5 games if the present day KC Chiefs were at his disposal.
Hazell was a dumpster fire of a coach. Wole is either trolling or has shit for brains.

A lot to digest here...

The Haze hired Weird Beard as his OC for THREE YEARS. That’s all you need to know.

Diaco had a track record of success. Shoop? Lol
I had forgotten about Shoop, and was surprised to read about him in a hero role:

I had forgotten about Shoop, and was surprised to read about him in a hero role:

Lol, did you read the article in 2017. It magically came out after he was fired for performance. What an asshat

I never mad e stuff up.
that's just not true. (I guess, one could say you're making THAT up.)

You made up the nonsense about the Iowa OL who didn't redshirt (but did).

You made up all that nonsense about Kyle "Bonecrusher" Williams.

You were called out on both and failed to respond.

Bigs, I like you, and I like you posting here.

NOT ... ! ... so people can argue with you. I just like a myriad of perspectives, even if said "perspectives" are convoluted, contrived, confabulated, or otherwise.

With that said, you should NEVER claim you "never mad e (sic) stuff up".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT