ADVERTISEMENT

Hate This Recruiting Trend: IpUke Up & Purdue Flat

Time will tell. We haven't played the first minute under Miller yet -- and let's face it: we've got a ton to replace this year, and from a team that wasn't very good to begin with. Further, our '17 class consists of all Plan B's (or C's, even).

And, from the looks of it, MSU is going to be stacked for the next few seasons.
Realistic assessment. Thanks for that. We all hope you guys can kick MSU's butt back to EL. Wish you success in every game but those against Purdue.

Reactions: PaBoiler78
We'll see. My personal projection is that IU will see less volatility than Crean with Miller as coach and make the tournament almost every year. I don't see his teams having the same upside as Crean's did either because you never knew when his team would hit 60% from deep in a given game and they could beat anyone if they did.

My projection. Fewer peaks and fewer valleys. More consistent. Will IU fans be satisfied 5 years from now if he hasn't been ranked #1, or advanced past a Sweet Sixteen, or won a Big Ten title? I doubt it.
I agree with the first paragraph and may agree with the second..
Just not sure how the iu fans will react.

I like that once again IU is on the hook for a YUGE contract that they will regret if Archie coaches more like Betty or Veronica.

Reactions: mathboy
I like that once again IU is on the hook for a YUGE contract that they will regret if Archie coaches more like Betty or Veronica.
In fairness, nearly every big school who is paying big bucks and trying to win is (for the most part) on the hook for a huge contract if they term early. No different at Purdue.

In fairness, nearly every big school who is paying big bucks and trying to win is (for the most part) on the hook for a huge contract if they term early. No different at Purdue.
Hey, we're talking IU here. Fairness does not apply.

Same old song and dance, every 5-7 years IU gets a new coach to bring them back to blue blood status. Indiana kids say hey we like this bring IU back pitch. Should be fully expected , just as in 5-7 years now it will be rinse repeat
Trust me....the Knight curse is still alive and well. Have to add a few more dollars to the VooDoo Ladies donation this year.

It's not that he's a high highly rated recruit it's the point that we was recruiting him the longest he visited our school several times almost committed but now he's committed to Indiana. I'm sorry but that does not look good for painter and I don't care how you spin it. Archie basically slap painter in the face and said thank you for finding him I take it from here. We are no longer than little brother we are now The Stepbrother

You've got major issues! Just slide back over to the board you were ranting at and stay! Anderson was one recruit that was decent to good, but not great. We can't get our panties in a bunch for the loss of a 90-100 recruit.

We recruited him hard and it didn't pan out. IU has many options for PT coming up and you have to remember we have a top 60 guy that is a freshman at his spot. I like our 2-3 spot for the next 3-4 yrs with Eastern.

We recruited him hard and it didn't pan out. IU has many options for PT coming up and you have to remember we have a top 60 guy that is a freshman at his spot. I like our 2-3 spot for the next 3-4 yrs with Eastern.
Eastern is gonna play a lot of 1, especially after PJ is gone. That's why he came to Purdue and that's how he will get to the NBA. Nothing more than Archie just won out on Anderson. We move onto the next recruit.

It's not that he's a high highly rated recruit it's the point that we was recruiting him the longest he visited our school several times almost committed but now he's committed to Indiana. I'm sorry but that does not look good for painter and I don't care how you spin it. Archie basically slap painter in the face and said thank you for finding him I take it from here. We are no longer than little brother we are now The Stepbrother

I don't see little brother beating up on big brother that often so I question the analogy.

Reactions: tjreese
I enjoy two things a lot: beating IU when they are really good and watching their fanbase explode over a coach/team they think is amazing but lay eggs.

Lol, they think every coach and team put in front of them is going to be amazing. In Crean's first season, some of them were predicting Kyle Taber for B10 POY and a Final Four run.

I dislike Indiana as much as anyone, but I wouldn't mind seeing both teams ranked in the top 15 for a few years in a row. It always seems like when one team is solid, the other one sucks. It'd be cool to see both programs really go at it.

Reactions: jadeezra and punaj
Time will tell. We haven't played the first minute under Miller yet -- and let's face it: we've got a ton to replace this year, and from a team that wasn't very good to begin with. Further, our '17 class consists of all Plan B's (or C's, even).

And, from the looks of it, MSU is going to be stacked for the next few seasons.

The team wasn't very good last year because Crean's a horrific coach.

Archie's a stud.

The team wasn't very good last year because Crean's a horrific coach.

Archie's a stud.
As in "thick as a 2x4" stud?

I love these trolls that feel compelled to come over to their big brother's board to make some useless brag about something that they have no clue about. I doubt this yo-yo has even met Archie. ...but no doubt "he is a stud..." before he has coached a single game at IU. I think it is both strange and sad that this psychology is at work here, and that these guys have such small self esteem that they need to do this.

Basically... LOL.

Purdue die hard , but I really think Arch is going to make us eat our words , not only this year , but years to come . :mad::mad::(

As in "thick as a 2x4" stud?

I love these trolls that feel compelled to come over to their big brother's board to make some useless brag about something that they have no clue about. I doubt this yo-yo has even met Archie. ...but no doubt "he is a stud..." before he has coached a single game at IU. I think it is both strange and sad that this psychology is at work here, and that these guys have such small self esteem that they need to do this.

Basically... LOL.
I can tell you what it is. When I was younger I rode my bike out the state road 26 in January. It was about 1 degree out and IU was coming to town to play Purdue. I timed the ride pretty well because I only had to wait about a half an hour before the two IU busses came rolling by. Why was I there? To give them the double middle finger. The thing is I was 12.

We'll see. My personal projection is that IU will see less volatility than Crean with Miller as coach and make the tournament almost every year. I don't see his teams having the same upside as Crean's did either because you never knew when his team would hit 60% from deep in a given game and they could beat anyone if they did.

My projection. Fewer peaks and fewer valleys. More consistent. Will IU fans be satisfied 5 years from now if he hasn't been ranked #1, or advanced past a Sweet Sixteen, or won a Big Ten title? I doubt it.
Yet, many Purdue fans based on what is shared on here are way more than satisfied more than twice that time in with Painter never having been ranked #1 or advanced past a Sweet Sixteen...and, it has been discussed multiple times on this forum already, a Big Ten title is diluted anymore, never mind not very relevant or important...but if you are not able to win anything else, it is easy to make it seem more relevant or important than it is.

Yet, many Purdue fans based on what is shared on here are way more than satisfied more than twice that time in with Painter never having been ranked #1 or advanced past a Sweet Sixteen...and, it has been discussed multiple times on this forum already, a Big Ten title is diluted anymore, never mind not very relevant or important...but if you are not able to win anything else, it is easy to make it seem more relevant or important than it is.
I don't know whether a big title is diluted, but it may leave more debate on who is the best team due to unbalanced schedule. Which makes the tourney and hand picked routes debatable as well

I don't have those expectations. I wouldn't have them if I were an IU fan. Those are just some things that have been introduced by some of their fans as standards for Archie Miller to be successful. I think those are ridiculous expectations (good goals to have, but ridiculous expectations) but if they want to set them there then so be it. It's the program they cheer for, not me. I'm pleased with the job Coach Painter has done and is doing at Purdue.

So, elite 8, 32, and two 64's..not that bad. The teams in those years that beat Dayton were very good teams, including Wichita state, runner-up Syracuse, and #1 seed Florida. Granted most matchups are tough in the tourney, but it's tough to face the first two in the first weekend and survive in those years.

You also mentioned Atlantic-10 being a bigger step up than Marquette, I believe? Do you know the teams that comprise the Atlantic-10? Davidson, Richmond, George Washington, UMass, Rhode Island, St. Joes, St. Louis, VCU, etc. I'm sure most of these are familiar as the majority of them have had great success over recent years...it's not as big of a step as it seems. Will he have the same or more success..who knows...it's a huge game of hit and miss when it comes to up and coming coaches.

I hope that you realize that when VCU made its deep run they were not a member of the A10. Also, when Davidson made their's with Curry they were not a member either, iirc. Butler spent only about 1 year in the A10 before moving to the BigEast. While the A10 has been a decent league for a while, some of the strong teams that you pointed to were not members at the time of their performance.

I don't have those expectations. I wouldn't have them if I were an IU fan. Those are just some things that have been introduced by some of their fans as standards for Archie Miller to be successful. I think those are ridiculous expectations (good goals to have, but ridiculous expectations) but if they want to set them there then so be it. It's the program they cheer for, not me. I'm pleased with the job Coach Painter has done and is doing at Purdue.
Which is fair certainly, and, largely why IU people/fans are equally pleased with the job Coach Painter has done and is doing at Purdue.

Reactions: StewieRobinsonNW26
Which is fair certainly, and, largely why IU people/fans are equally pleased with the job Coach Painter has done and is doing at Purdue.

I guess I've never shaped my views by what IU fans think. But if they are pleased by having a coach at Purdue that beats IU more often than he loses to them then that tells me plenty.

How is it a load of crap? We have a large sample size on Painter.

He's not going to all of a sudden start consistently recruiting at a top 3 level in the conference. He'll get one or two two 100 guys per class, on average.

We also have a large sample of fear-mongers (some in gold and black, others crimson & cream) who start this same theme every time IU fires and hires a new coach....really a very old headline that rarely proves to be an issue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT