ADVERTISEMENT

Harris developing at right time for Purdue; Green Bay sidebar ...

KODK

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
SOUTH BEND, Ind. — Probably no coincidence that Purdue’s winning streak — it’s won eight of its last nine, including the NCAA opener vs. Green Bay Friday — has corresponded with Ae’Rianna Harris’ entry into the starting lineup.

Because the freshman post is having an impact on about every aspect of the Boilermakers right now. She did so Friday, scoring 12 points on only six shots with seven rebounds, three blocks and a steal in a 74-62 win over the Phoenix.

“(Ae’Rianna) has done that all year, but she’s more dominant right now,” said Coach Sharon Versyp, whose team plays Notre Dame Sunday. “I think that’s just the experience of playing the Big Ten.

“And she’s an explosive, exciting, fun athlete to watch. Everybody has so much confidence in her. Now, not only on the defensive end, but they’re seeing her capabilities on the offensive end. That’s how we’ve grown as a team.”

Harris has had moments where parts of her performance have excelled, like a 14-rebound game vs. Rutgers, or the back-to-back double-figure scoring outings the next two dates, or the Purdue freshman record 73 blocks this season.

But perhaps never has it all come together on the same day like it did Friday.

Harris’ defensive presence allowed the rest of the Boilermakers to execute their zone, as she occupied the lane and redirected drivers, while other defenders could cover the perimeter. Green Bay hit only 10-of-36 triples, as its dribble-drive offense was stymied.

“She’s a shot blocker and going in Green Bay knew that, so they were afraid of her,” junior Andreona Keys said. “She was being big. She knew not to foul them too much but just being a presence, getting her hands up and making them scared to go inside. Even grabbing the boards, she’s jumping out of the gym to get those rebounds over people.”

Harris says she’s only filling a role.

“It’s easier when you’re entire team is doing what it’s supposed to do,” the 6-foot-1 forward said. “But a little mess-up does happen every now and then, and I’m there or Nora (Kiesler) or Dom (McBryde) or (Bridget Perry) is there to clean it up and help out. It really boosted our energy and definitely helped the defense.”

But Harris was a force on offense, too. She made all six of her field goals, including three in the first eight minutes as Purdue built a 19-6 in the first eight minutes. Ashley Morrissette found her for a layup in the second. Then, early in the third, she got deep position for an easy two.

“A big mismatch,” Dominique Oden said. “She’s not the tallest post on our team but she can jump out of the gym. They didn’t truly have a post who was big enough and could jump as high in order to guard her.”

But the highlight was at the 9:15 mark of the fourth, when she received a long pass from Keys on the fastbreak, taking the alley-oop layup for a game-high 60-42 lead.

“Coach V was saying, ‘Just throw it up to her. She’ll get it,’” Keys said. “But Ashley kicked it out and we were on a fast-break. I saw her out of the corner of my eye and (the Green Bay defender) came up to me, so I just threw it up and she got it. It was a great play.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT