ADVERTISEMENT

Haralson update

Kind of wild Purdue is getting last visit. Trying not to get hopes up..as this is still likely a long shot.

That being said, both of those oth er programs are not what they used to be. Sparty has become a winnable game for most teams in B1G, and Woodson would likely not have a job if he wasn't 3-3 vs Purdue. Think about that for a second.....that is the only thing he's accomplished in 3 years.

I'm glad Purdue gets last shot. Putting Haralson in rotation with Smith, Loyer, Colvin, Harris, Heide, TKR, Jacobson as top 8 would be deadly. He is literally the missing piece and it's an easy sell.

For those saying Painter wouldn't play him is BS. Of course he would get lots of minutes. I think Haralson has mental toughness to embrace being told he will have to earn them though.

We'll see what happens....

Kind of wild Purdue is getting last visit. Trying not to get hopes up..as this is still likely a long shot.

That being said, both of those oth er programs are not what they used to be. Sparty has become a winnable game for most teams in B1G, and Woodson would likely not have a job if he wasn't 3-3 vs Purdue. Think about that for a second.....that is the only thing he's accomplished in 3 years.

I'm glad Purdue gets last shot. Putting Haralson in rotation with Smith, Loyer, Colvin, Harris, Heide, TKR, Jacobson as top 8 would be deadly. He is literally the missing piece and it's an easy sell.

For those saying Painter wouldn't play him is BS. Of course he would get lots of minutes. I think Haralson has mental toughness to embrace being told he will have to earn them though.

Couldn’t agree more especially on him getting minutes. He would be incredible at Purdue. I think he’d put them over the top. Come on, Paint 😂

Who is saying Painter wouldn’t play him?

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
Nojel was a terrific athlete and defender and by any accounts I've heard was a solid teammate. It's unfortunate that his offensive game started as limited and regressed from there.
He had so many mechanical issues with this shot and the lack of success led to his fear at the line and even shots on drives that were maybe 5 ft away. Been a while, but seem to think it was an inconsistent shooting pocket and lack of follow through. We all recall the D dropping off of him and I know I posted a few times about him being a screener for a shooter when they dropped off to free a shooter OR if the shooter was successful enough to force Nojel's man to go to the perimeter to defend the shooter Nojel was screening for and preventing his defender from defending the shot...it now opened up the inside. There were a couple of games after I typed such that he did try to do that for sections of the game and suspect it was his mother reading here. Anyway, I wish him well and understand that he has switched shooting hands and now shooting better.

We all recall the "effective turnover" he was when sent to the line and also recall a student manager working with him in the line that and the improvement he made. He was capable of being a better shooter on the perimeter as well IMO. Lastly, I recall a home game with MSU that was very tight and Izzo deciding to foul him the last couple of minutes and Nojel under the pressure made the FTs. It was a good approach by Izzo that didn't work that day. ;)

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Nobody on here. I think there is a general misconception in the college basketball world that Painter's hard stance on earning minutes and not guaranteeing minutes to recruits equals he won't play elite Freshman over his older players.
Your comments suggest just how stupid some are which seems to grow (population) over time. ;) What coach doesn't want to play who he thinks is the best player at at given position due to class? Now he could be wrong, but his desires are not. If you were playing people with the considered upside rather than actual results, then that would favor the younger players. If you played players based upon experience rather than results, the players know this, the coach loses games he shouldn't, and the coach sooner or later is on the hot seat. Sadly I know there are those that parrot this and it just goes to show that some are not smarter than a slug. :(

Nobody on here. I think there is a general misconception in the college basketball world that Painter's hard stance on earning minutes and not guaranteeing minutes to recruits equals he won't play elite Freshman over his older players.
There really is a misconception that Freshman don't get minutes at Purdue. They've had freshman leaders the past few years. Ivey, Smith, and Loyer are examples. Haralson is like a more polished Jaden Ivey imo, but perhaps not as explosive. I think he kind of has more of the Purdue traits as far as valuing the team and including teammates more than Ivey prolly did.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Your comments suggest just how stupid some are which seems to grow (population) over time. ;) What coach doesn't want to play who he thinks is the best player at at given position due to class? Now he could be wrong, but his desires are not. If you were playing people with the considered upside rather than actual results, then that would favor the younger players. If you played players based upon experience rather than results, the players know this, the coach loses games he shouldn't, and the coach sooner or later is on the hot seat. Sadly I know there are those that parrot this and it just goes to show that some are not smarter than a slug. :(
IMO a lot of those views are just trying to support their own narrative. I don't know how you can look at someone like MP and his experience with Biggie, Carsen, etc., and say that he doesn't balance winning now versus allowing young players to make mistakes unless you're trying to promote a narrative.

There really is a misconception that Freshman don't get minutes at Purdue. They've had freshman leaders the past few years. Ivey, Smith, and Loyer are examples. Haralson is like a more polished Jaden Ivey imo, but perhaps not as explosive. I think he kind of has more of the Purdue traits as far as valuing the team and including teammates more than Ivey prolly did.
Jaden Ivey has been nothing short of an ambassador for Purdue! We need players like Ivey who have nothing but love for the program and express it! He just doesn't brag about his efforts or the huge contributions to the NIL. You can count on Ivey and Painter does. One thing Painter does as well as anyone he keeps his family close. Jaden is family!

Jaden Ivey has been nothing short of an ambassador for Purdue! We need players like Ivey who have nothing but love for the program and express it! He just doesn't brag about his efforts or the huge contributions to the NIL. You can count on Ivey and Painter does. One thing Painter does as well as anyone he keeps his family close. Jaden is family!
Yeah I didn't mean to come off as throwing shade to Ivey. He's a great Boiler. Just recall that team seeming to not have as tight knit of a locker room it appeared compared to other teams.

Reactions: oldboiler52
IMO a lot of those views are just trying to support their own narrative. I don't know how you can look at someone like MP and his experience with Biggie, Carsen, etc., and say that he doesn't balance winning now versus allowing young players to make mistakes unless you're trying to promote a narrative.
Yep. Smith and Loyer have started since they were freshmen.

Ivey has helped with NIL? Love that if true.

Reactions: jtanoos1
While I agree…he did leave his HS to go to a prep school (La Lu) 😂 …but tbh that doesn’t bother me. Hope we somehow land him.

but I think them supporting their own narrative as you said, also "suggest just how stupid some are which seems to grow (population) over time." I see agreement that their own narrative is stupid! ;)

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I am NOT saying it is IU for Haralson.

I do think it's very likely down to two teams; MSU and IU.
IU under Woodson just doesn't make much sense at this time in my opinion. I heard there selling pitch is JHS. I don't think that's a very good selling pitch. Sure, he went one and done and drafted in the first round, great. Pretty sure he's stuck in the G league.... Just like Romeo Langford is...

IU under Woodson just doesn't make much sense at this time in my opinion. I heard there selling pitch is JHS. I don't think that's a very good selling pitch. Sure, he went one and done and drafted in the first round, great. Pretty sure he's stuck in the G league.... Just like Romeo Langford is...
Like any school, IU or Purdue doesn't solely sell a player comparison. They're going to show film of guys they've developed that play the same position, so Hood-Schifino is the likely guy IU would show Haralson film of. Purdue would show film of Ivey - a lottery pick that was a not a pure point, but who played with the ball in his hands a ton.

Hood-Schifino was mid-first round pick 6'5" combo guard who is a great comp. He had back surgery and was injured or limited most of last year. Romeo Langford is irrelevant to Woodson's staff.

For any school it's a combination of
  • NIL
  • Coaching staff interaction - a big part of that is talking with former players about their experience
  • Evidence that the staff has developed players to the next level
  • Ability to win
  • Fan base -school love for the sport
  • Playing style, (but every team tells recruits that they want to play a fast, NBA style).

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr.Hoop
Like any school, IU or Purdue doesn't solely sell a player comparison. They're going to show film of guys they've developed that play the same position, so Hood-Schifino is the likely guy IU would show Haralson film of. Purdue would show film of Ivey - a lottery pick that was a not a pure point, but who played with the ball in his hands a ton.

Hood-Schifino was mid-first round pick 6'5" combo guard who is a great compo. He had back surgery and was injured or limited most of last year. Romeo Langford is irrelevant to Woodson's staff.

For any school it's a combination of
  • NIL
  • Coaching staff interaction - a big part of that is talking with former players about their experience
  • Evidence that the staff has developed players to the next level
  • Ability to win
  • Fan base -school love for the sport
  • Playing style, (but every team tells recruits that they want to play a fast, NBA style).
Pretty sure Haralson cancelled his visit this weekend so this whole thread is irrelevant

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT