ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Brown out as well

DAG10

All-American
Nov 2, 2018
Well, if nothing else, at least there is some recognition of the huge shortcomings on the other side of the ball. There are some personnel issues there, but, scheme was poor as well...rather than hiding or trying to overcome those, they were on full display, and, exploited as such.

It is disappointing to be 4 years in and in some ways, starting over again on that side...definitely work to do from a personnel standpoint still, but, critical to get a quality DC, and, hopefully a solid DB coach as well. In both Diaco's and Brown's case, the resumes are misleading...hopefully that is noted in the hiring process this time around.

Waiting for that last shoe to drop in the 3-legged race to unemployment....

I thought the secondary was the worst part of a bad defense this year. Consistent blown coverage where players didn’t even seem to know what was called.

I think Brohm has realized he can consistently create a decent, and sometimes, great offense at Purdue but has to get the defense to be at least middle of the pack or he’ll never have significant success.

I suppose it’s reassuring to see that he at least admits that he has a problem there. Isn’t that the first step to recovery?

I thought the secondary was the worst part of a bad defense this year. Consistent blown coverage where players didn’t even seem to know what was called.

I think Brohm has realized he can consistently create a decent, and sometimes, great offense at Purdue but has to get the defense to be at least middle of the pack or he’ll never have significant success.

I suppose it’s reassuring to see that he at least admits that he has a problem there. Isn’t that the first step to recovery?

I agree. There was one play, I think the Nebraska game, where there were three receivers to the right and two defenders. I was screaming at the TV. The players were clueless and so were the coaches who didn't call a time out. The result was a TD.

As Dienhart noted in his front page article, "After 2019, Purdue had four cornerbacks transfer: Jordan Rucker, Kenneth Major, Tyler Hamilton and Byron Perkins. After this season, Purdue saw cornerback Geovonte Howard enter the transfer portal." That's WAY TOO MANY in a program where we're looking for someone to emerge as a player. These transfers weren't a case of "There is SOOOO much talent in front of me that I'll never see the field at Purdue."

I sure hope BrohmCorp get's his defensive hires in place soon, so that he/they can hit the transfer portal to secure some talent for next year. Pretty hard to recruit to a school that had a poor defensive year...and entering the transfer period with no DC, no LB coach, and no secondary coach. We want guys on campus within a month when the spring semester starts.

Reactions: DAG10
another smart decision and must fire. After our wide receivers, our most talented recruiting group prior to this season were defensive backs. A lot was expected of them. their performance on the field didn't come close to their talent.

Will our special teams and strength and conditioning coaches be next?

it all kinda feeds each Other .. if we can develop Hunter and Faucheux to join Johnson and karlaftis by september and yanni solidifies the linebackers along with Alexander and Khali Saunders .. a new DC and CB coach should be able to join poindexter and we should have grant and Allen out there day one. Then it’s just about finding an athlete who can beat mackey out opposite trice.

real programs get their athletes to beat the Thienemanns and mackeys. And then you have those guys as backups or in case of injuries or as depth. But there’s a talent level that you have to have to not be exploited by big ten coaches and players .

if we are still rolling Mackey and 38 out there against ND.. cover your midsection boys

another smart decision and must fire. After our wide receivers, our most talented recruiting group prior to this season were defensive backs. A lot was expected of them. their performance on the field didn't come close to their talent.

One of ur better takes Wole. Agree totally.

Strictly a hunch. Have a feeling the D.C. may have already been picked and wants to bring DB Coach along. There might be other come alongs as well, but it seems interesting that both the DC and DB were not let go on the same day if it were standard cleaning house. Other coaches could have had peaceful holidays till afterward. A D.C. may have had a stipulation needing fulfilled before saying yes.

Strictly a hunch. Have a feeling the D.C. may have already been picked and wants to bring DB Coach along. There might be other come alongs as well, but it seems interesting that both the DC and DB were not let go on the same day if it were standard cleaning house. Other coaches could have had peaceful holidays till afterward. A D.C. may have had a stipulation needing fulfilled before saying yes.
I doubt Biagi is having peaceful holidays!

Strength and Conditioning has to get a look. So weak and near constant struggles with injury.

Another possibility is maybe the new DC will double as the CB coach instead of linebackers?

I'd love to see purdue hire that linebackers coach yanni liked at Michigan 2 years ago before he left. 2 years ago, michigan had a dominating defense.

I'd love to see purdue hire that linebackers coach yanni liked at Michigan 2 years ago before he left. 2 years ago, michigan had a dominating defense.
You mean the 71 yr old Greg Mattison? I don't see any merit in hiring him. He's currently making 1.1 mil per yr as OSU's co- def coordinator.

You mean the 71 yr old Greg Mattison? I don't see any merit in hiring him. He's currently making 1.1 mil per yr as OSU's co- def coordinator.
He would not even take the call if Purdue were to make it...guy has experienced great success everywhere he has been and is a great coach (as well as recruiter).

It is unlikely that Purdue makes a "splashy" hire...in part, because the job is probably not that appealing to begin with to a lot of people, but, also because Purdue is not going to spend a lot of money (especially in that they are still paying Diaco...for genuinely not doing anything opposed to pretending to do something of consequence).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT