ADVERTISEMENT

Green and Smith out again this week

HUD628

Senior
Apr 11, 2007
What a bummer. Two of the most exciting incoming players and both are out again this week for ND. There has to be some real concern here long term now for these guys. Speedsters with bad wheels.

I would feel more comfortable for Nyland Green covering Beaux Collins.
Tarrion Grant is our starting corner. We are asking a lot for our 5* True Freshman to cover man.
However, it is games like this where you make a name for yourself. Last year, Dillon Thienemen was an unknown True Freshman. He is known now.

If Hudson Card wants to change the narrative about him, he will have to ball out against this ND defense.

These big games are opportunities for the unknown names to be known.
ND will come into Ross Ade looking to play bully ball. We have to stand up to that intensity and have a counter punch ready.

The challenge will be in being able to combat whatever ND makes in adjustments from last week to this week. I'm sure Walters/Harrell/Kane can watch the NIU tape and see what they did that worked best, specifically defensively. But we will see a different Notre Dame this week.

Their WR Faison who missed last week with an ankle is supposed to be back. Not sure how much of a needle-mover that is though.

Reactions: cillerdo
The challenge will be in being able to combat whatever ND makes in adjustments from last week to this week. I'm sure Walters/Harrell/Kane can watch the NIU tape and see what they did that worked best, specifically defensively. But we will see a different Notre Dame this week.

Their WR Faison who missed last week with an ankle is supposed to be back. Not sure how much of a needle-mover that is though.

It will be interesting to see what adjustments are made. Our coaches will have tape on Texas AM and NIU game to draw from about their tendencies. ND coaches really have the Indiana State game which was mostly vanilla formations and play calls.

ND media only sees the 2023 Purdue D stats and say that the defense is bad. And Card is only an average 58% completion QB.

CRW defense usually takes a big step in year 2. Will be interesting to see what the defense scheme will really look like this Saturday. I think we will see a lot of wrinkles.

Same for Harrell. See what he has up his sleeves.

Coach Freeman said he had gone up against and is familiar with Harrell when he was a ND DC and Harrell was USC OC.

It will be interesting to see what adjustments are made. Our coaches will have tape on Texas AM and NIU game to draw from about their tendencies. ND coaches really have the Indiana State game which was mostly vanilla formations and play calls.

ND media only sees the 2023 Purdue D stats and say that the defense is bad. And Card is only an average 58% completion QB.

CRW defense usually takes a big step in year 2. Will be interesting to see what the defense scheme will really look like this Saturday. I think we will see a lot of wrinkles.

Same for Harrell. See what he has up his sleeves.

Coach Freeman said he had gone up against and is familiar with Harrell when he was a ND DC and Harrell was USC OC.
I think I'm more concerned with our offense going into this game. Based simply on what ND has and hasn't done for 2 weeks. NIU hit a couple of big plays in route to winning Saturday. For 2 weeks ND hasn't given up much on routine offense.

I think I'm more concerned with our offense going into this game. Based simply on what ND has and hasn't done for 2 weeks. NIU hit a couple of big plays in route to winning Saturday. For 2 weeks ND hasn't given up much on routine offense.
We are massively susceptible to the big play in both the pass and run games until we prove we aren’t.

Was the Achilles heel all year and MY biggest concern.

Agree we likely won’t sustain drive after drive on them but feel we have enough to keep them off balance and score 21-27 points.

We are massively susceptible to the big play in both the pass and run games until we prove we aren’t.

Was the Achilles heel all year and MY biggest concern.

Agree we likely won’t sustain drive after drive on them but feel we have enough to keep them off balance and score 21-27 points.
I think this will be the game you get the proof you need (unless ND is really that bad in the passing game and we get exposed the next week). The secondary is pretty much revamped. If Held lives up to his new monster reputation, ND will be in for a long game relying on the run.

Reactions: RossMackey
I think this will be the game you get the proof you need (unless ND is really that bad in the passing game and we get exposed the next week). The secondary is pretty much revamped. If Held lives up to his new monster reputation, ND will be in for a long game relying on the run.
If we get exposed next week WE are that bad vs the pass. They e looked pretty rotten throwing the ball 2 weeks in a row now.

I’ll admit if we can lock them down and keep them from hitting big plays that’s absolute progress in the secondary. If we keep tabs on the QB in the run game it might be a total revelation and reinvention!

If we get exposed next week WE are that bad vs the pass. They e looked pretty rotten throwing the ball 2 weeks in a row now.

I’ll admit if we can lock them down and keep them from hitting big plays that’s absolute progress in the secondary. If we keep tabs on the QB in the run game it might be a total revelation and reinvention!
I thought the litmus test would come later vs Nebraska, but looks like this is the week we found out who we really are.

But, I will maintain my 6 win expectation this year. Beating ND would be great progress, I still want to beat most of the "lower" B1G.

In Freeman's post game press conferences, he stated "It doesn't get any lower than this"....
Well,Coach Freeman, it can get much lower and alot hotter if you loose to NIU and Purdue and you head into week four of the season 1 & 2.
Boiler up!!

Reactions: SKYDOG
What a bummer. Two of the most exciting incoming players and both are out again this week for ND. There has to be some real concern here long term now for these guys. Speedsters with bad wheels.
Were both these guys damaged goods when they got here or have then gotten banged up since?

I would feel more comfortable for Nyland Green covering Beaux Collins.
Tarrion Grant is our starting corner. We are asking a lot for our 5* True Freshman to cover man.
However, it is games like this where you make a name for yourself. Last year, Dillon Thienemen was an unknown True Freshman. He is known now.

If Hudson Card wants to change the narrative about him, he will have to ball out against this ND defense.

These big games are opportunities for the unknown names to be known.
ND will come into Ross Ade looking to play bully ball. We have to stand up to that intensity and have a counter punch ready.
I think Purdue stacks the box and tries to force Leonard to throw. But, Leonard is a more dangerous runner than thrower, (very similar to Syracuse QB), so even if they get ND in 2nd and 3rd n longs, if they constantly lose containment and let Leonard extend drives, they'll eventually bust a couple big plays.
I think Walters tells his DBs they were recruited and are playing because they can play man D and it's time to prove it.

Theinneman will be playing 30 yards off the ball to try to prevent any huge plays in the passing game.

Were both these guys damaged goods when they got here or have then gotten banged up since?
I believe Smith did have a hard time staying healthy at UGA. so to already have a hamstring does not bode well I don't think. I don't remember hearing of any injury issues for Green.

Reactions: pboiler18
It’s not about HIM. It’s where they had him play.

The team total defensive passing stats would tell you all you needed to know there
Nonsense. Almost all of his picks were on deep balls where he was seeing it and in position to get there and make the play with his speed. He was put in good position to make interceptions by…wait for it…you hate it and will deny it…but the fact is…it was the scheme. 🤯

Nonsense. Almost all of his picks were on deep balls where he was seeing it and in position to get there and make the play with his speed. He was put in good position to make interceptions by…wait for it…you hate it and will deny it…but the fact is…it was the scheme. 🤯
Right. What about all the other huge plays we gave up?

Food for thought......Is an injured 4 star transfer player who has not yet played in a game still a four star player? or does the star value decrease as games are missed?

What about them? Idk you tell me. I’m sure Thieneman being up closer to the line would have stopped Brown and Rogers and Allen from getting beat. Right?

Would Purdue have had an all American safety last year as a part of your hero’s corporation?

What about them? Idk you tell me. I’m sure Thieneman being up closer to the line would have stopped Brown and Rogers and Allen from getting beat. Right?

Would Purdue have had an all American safety last year as a part of your hero’s corporation?
I think what’s lost on you and others is that with this scheme, it takes elite elite guys. Maybe we have 1. Maybe even 2 or 3. But if we don’t have 4 or 5 and the depth to back it up we’ll continue to get thrashed on D.

With our system it only takes 1 guy making 1 mistake to be exploited for a TD. Happened over and over last year where it wasn’t a gang of guys making a mistake but one.

Yes, I’d like that to change.

We need to help the weak links out…not put them in islands or ask them to have assignments they can’t handle. That’s a start!

A huge amount were on cam Allen and sanoussi Kane. Breedlove looks much faster than Allen. Scourton is a great athlete, but he lost contain and misread read hands offs a lot

Sillah looked invisible last week though to be fair. But sillah is also what you get when you are at a certain dollar level

Last edited:
A huge amount were on cam Allen and sanoussi Kane. Breedlove looks much faster than Allen. Scourton is a great athlete, but he lost and misread read hands offs a lot

Sillah looked invisible last week though to be fair. But sillah is also what you get when you are at a certain dollar level
Was really impressed with Antonio stevens the first game....our safeties are probably the strength of this d....along with the dline....my main concerns are speed at lb and depth and inexperience at cb....

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
A huge amount were on cam Allen and sanoussi Kane. Breedlove looks much faster than Allen. Scourton is a great athlete, but he lost and misread read hands offs a lot

Agreed on Scourton. He also seemed to get sucked in allowing ingredients the QBs to run freely outside, especially the first handful of games of the season.

I was kind of hoping CJ Madden would be starting opposite Heldt based on the hype. Guess he's not there yet.

HUD, Purdue is playing a Notre Dame team that is struggling to throw the forward pass to this point and has a QB with a bruised labrum.
ND will be run heavy, thus #31 will need to play closer to the box.

HUD, Purdue is playing a Notre Dame team that is struggling to throw the forward pass to this point and has a QB with a bruised labrum.
That's not what I was responding to. I was responding to a guy saying that how Thieneman was deployed last year was bad, which is demonstrably false.

Reactions: Bippus33
agree, w/ Leonard being banged up a bit, it will be easier for Tyreek Hill to put together a cohesive sentence than Leonard to throw an accurate deep ball saturday

• Haha
Reactions: Chi-Boiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT