ADVERTISEMENT

Great tweet in regards to player rankings

C'ville Boiler

True Freshman
Sep 15, 2011

I’ve noticed a couple people down on the rankings of some of our newest commitments. This tweet from a Georgia running back should put some things into perspective. Maybe these guys didn’t attend those camps or many of them to get their rankings boosted. Either way, if the staff has seen them and wants them then that’s good enough for me. Boiler Up

He’s a backup running back as a senior. His ranking is about right
I get what you’re saying. I wasn’t saying he is the next Herschel Walker or some stud, but he is playing at Georgia. The main point is this guy wasn’t rated by anyone then commits and automatically gets bumped up to 3 star. Kind of the opposite effect our basketball commits get. Not saying our lower rated guys are studs but they could possibly be better than what they are rated. The staff took them early in a small class so they must like them

I’ve noticed a couple people down on the rankings of some of our newest commitments. This tweet from a Georgia running back should put some things into perspective. Maybe these guys didn’t attend those camps or many of them to get their rankings boosted. Either way, if the staff has seen them and wants them then that’s good enough for me. Boiler Up
It seems to me that there is an important distinction missing in the ranking of players.
This young man states that he did not attend the ranking service camps. I would guess that this is why he was not ranked. He should not expect to be ranked by a service that has not seen him. The ranking services in turn should simply state “NE or Not Evaluated” later on when his name comes up. If you didn’t evaluate why provide a rank?

It seems to me that there is an important distinction missing in the ranking of players.
This young man states that he did not attend the ranking service camps. I would guess that this is why he was not ranked. He should not expect to be ranked by a service that has not seen him. The ranking services in turn should simply state “NE or Not Evaluated” later on when his name comes up. If you didn’t evaluate why provide a rank?
If a player has no stars, that means he has not been evaluated.

If they later rank someone, they usually do it based on game film, whether Hudl or otherwise.

If a player has no stars, that means he has not been evaluated.

If they later rank someone, they usually do it based on game film, whether Hudl or otherwise.
Got it. So it is conceivable that a no star guy can be good because he has not been evaluated but a one star guy likely isn’t particularly good. I do imagine that scenario is a bit unusual.
Just feeling out the discussion, thanks.

Got it. So it is conceivable that a no star guy can be good because he has not been evaluated but a one star guy likely isn’t particularly good. I do imagine that scenario is a bit unusual.
Just feeling out the discussion, thanks.
I havent seen Rivals award less than 2 stars in a loonnng time.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
Then it sort of becomes "Everybody gets a B", doesn't it?

Geez. We may as well be playing tie-game soccer.

The ranking services aren’t perfect, but they are the best tool we have. With different talent levels in different areas game film isn’t always equal, and stats can be deceiving. Getting eyes on kids and getting them in camps helps. Having said that, I still think there is a bias towards certain areas in ranking services, and everything should be taken with a grain of salt.

What different criteria do they use when ranking someone? If you have 2 different players , both same weight and height, what separates them in the ratings. And who determines skill levels .

Ultimately I guess rankings don’t matter, but I think there’s a pretty strong correlation between rankings and performance.

Usually the “rankings don’t matter” guys come out of the woodwork when we have a bunch of players that are ranked low.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
Ultimately I guess rankings don’t matter, but I think there’s a pretty strong correlation between rankings and performance.

Usually the “rankings don’t matter” guys come out of the woodwork when we have a bunch of players that are ranked low.
Alabama, Clemson, osu, Oklahoma, etc all recruit top level classes every year. it's no coincidence they're always the best teams. But you do need the good coaching to go along with it too to be in that elite tier.

Rankings matter, they’re just not an exact science. They’ll always be outliers and good coaches spot more of them than bad coaches but a 5 star player is going to be a better player than a 3 star player more times than not.

I really don’t understand the debate about this. Pointing out an outlier only proves it’s not 100% accurate, which I agree with.

I think the biggest error in rankings, especially for football, is that they are based on what a 17 year old is today, not what he will be when he is 21-22 years old. Not that there is much you can do about this ranking-wise without a crystal ball, but the result is many late bloomers become the diamonds in the rough and highly ranked busts are often early bloomers. Pro baseball scouts try to account for this when choosing between drafting high school players vs. college players and even older versus younger high school seniors. I’m not sure how much cfb coaches takes this into account, but I suspect the smart and thorough ones are trying to project the eventual strength based on growth rates and genetics.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Considering how many 1st Round NFL Draft picks are complete busts why does HS rankings of players concern anyone. Hire good coaching staffs and trust their judgement, just realize they don’t get anywhere near all the players they want, no team does, including Alabama for a variety of reasons so one moves down their lists and fill the slots you have or need! jmo

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT