ADVERTISEMENT

Graham Harrell OC

This is great! Leach disciple. It’s hard to believe I was watching him at old Texas Stadium when he was the QB at Ennis HS in the state championship.
Legend. He should have connections in this area for recruiting.

I like it! A young (Leach disciple) Air Raid offense with heavy recruiting ties in Texas. Being a football coach in the blood for the family. Grandfather, Dad, and both brothers all coached or currently coaching. Super Bowl ring from Packers, and from the top rope named his son Herschel Hawk Harrell. (HHH)
This is crazy:

Walters, Harrell, and Brian Brohm all on the list.

I hope he can come be part of the bowl game and start assessing current talent right away!! Rid ourselves of locker room drama and maybe get AOC and Charlie to come back and put up big numbers!!

Regardless, I like the young eagerness in both of these hires. I hope the rest of staff can compliment them and their talents. Maybe find an older, experienced coach for some experience to help mentor these guys.

This could be a good thing for Purdue football!!! I mean no disrespect to CJB and appreciate all he has done in getting Purdue Football where it is today. But if these two D & O minded coaches can build some synergies, build an equally impressive coaching staff, then this may work out.

Love the hire. Leach disciple. There were a lot of rumors he was going to be the next UNT HC until they hired Eric Morris (another Leach disciple). So he's thought of well enough to be considered for HCing positions. He did alot of good things with his QBs when he was at USC. They had Dart, Slovis, and Daniels and made them all look really good.

If you look at his college accomplishments, they very much resemble Drew Brees' college accomplishments.

Reactions: RBryant311
It would be a crazy thing to like…give the guy a fair shot…right?

This was his first real test. I'd give him an A on it.

His next real test will be putting the rest of his staff together. Then what he can do by using the portal to put a reasonable roster together for next year

And BTW, my issue was with Bobinski, not Walters. I still think it was a very risky hire. But we won't find out for another couple of years.

I hope he can come be part of the bowl game and start assessing current talent right away!! Rid ourselves of locker room drama and maybe get AOC and Charlie to come back and put up big numbers!!

Regardless, I like the young eagerness in both of these hires. I hope the rest of staff can compliment them and their talents. Maybe find an older, experienced coach for some experience to help mentor these guys.
They are not going to play in bowl game!

This was his first real test. I'd give him an A on it.

His next real test will be putting the rest of his staff together. Then what he can do by using the portal to put a reasonable roster together for next year

And BTW, my issue was with Bobinski, not Walters. I still think it was a very risky hire. But we won't find out for another couple of years.
Overall, I think we were a victim of being late in the coaching carousel cycle more than anything. That’s not Bobinski’s fault.

Chadwell, Herman, “Coach Prime” and a few others who already had gigs would have likely jumped at the chance at ours if offered. They already had jobs and the optics of offering those guys are bad…the optics of those guys walking away from just inked contracts for us would be worse.

Results might have been “splashier” with guys like that but that group also has huge question marks and comes with its own baggage too. No assurances any of those guys are successful in their current gigs and all 3 got hired to lesser programs than ours.

I look at it this way…we hired a guy who might not be ready. But, he wants to be here and there’s not a soul who will say something bad about him. He’s young and seemingly hungry. He won the press conference. We haven’t lost a single current player from the roster since he’s been here. There are teams with long tenured and successful coaches that can’t even say that.

It’s obvious to fans (and I’m sure him) what needs to be done to be successful here. I doubt he really wanted to hire a guy like Harrell, but…he did it because that’s the brand of offensive football we play here. He’s appealing to the fans, and common sense, and the history, heritage and results of what’s worked here in the past. That sticks out to me as a guy who is willing to learn, adapt and grow to get better.

It’s been a solid about 66 hours for the guy. I’m not yet ready to throw in the towel on him!

Overall, I think we were a victim of being late in the coaching carousel cycle more than anything. That’s not Bobinski’s fault.

Chadwell, Herman, “Coach Prime” and a few others who already had gigs would have likely jumped at the chance at ours if offered. They already had jobs and the optics of offering those guys are bad…the optics of those guys walking away from just inked contracts for us would be worse.

Results might have been “splashier” with guys like that but that group also has huge question marks and comes with its own baggage too. No assurances any of those guys are successful in their current gigs and all 3 got hired to lesser programs than ours.

I look at it this way…we hired a guy who might not be ready. But, he wants to be here and there’s not a soul who will say something bad about him. He’s young and seemingly hungry. He won the press conference. We haven’t lost a single current player from the roster since he’s been here. There are teams with long tenured and successful coaches that can’t even say that.

It’s obvious to fans (and I’m sure him) what needs to be done to be successful here. I doubt he really wanted to hire a guy like Harrell, but…he did it because that’s the brand of offensive football we play here. He’s appealing to the fans, and common sense, and the history, heritage and results of what’s worked here in the past. That sticks out to me as a guy who is willing to learn, adapt and grow to get better.

It’s been a solid about 66 hours for the guy. I’m not yet ready to throw in the towel on him!

He's done everything right in the past 66 hours. He deserves a lot of credit for that. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

The issue I have with Purdue and Bobinski is we're still at the same damn overall salary pool budget we were with Brohm. The assistant pool was raised by $1MM because we got Walters for less, and that's the only reason. That tells me they likely went after coaches who were interested based on the type of money Brohm was being paid. What established head coach is coming to Purdue for that? It's just stupid to risk a program to save $4MM or $5MM when the Big Ten Money is huge. That's the problem I have with all of this...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT