ADVERTISEMENT

Graham Harrell pre-Wisconsin media video

DubJellison

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 26, 2022
Purdue offensive coordinator Graham Harrell talks fumbling troubles, short yardage situations and more pre-Wisconsin.

He said they were 7 of 9 on 3rd downs with more than 3 yards. But, was like 2 of 6 when less than 3 yards.

That is likely because we are very predictable in the run game, which is the goto for short yardage plays. We don't have the Oline, yet, to consistently run and get 2-3 yards.

I would think Putdue would do well to air it out on 1 and 2 downs to avoid the 3rd and shorts.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
He said they were 7 of 9 on 3rd downs with more than 3 yards. But, was like 2 of 6 when less than 3 yards.

That is likely because we are very predictable in the run game, which is the goto for short yardage plays. We don't have the Oline, yet, to consistently run and get 2-3 yards.

I would think Putdue would do well to air it out on 1 and 2 downs to avoid the 3rd and shorts.
I think we probably need to throw to set up the run and go more quick tempo.

I understand we've been moving the ball. The problem is we need to score more to overcome our porous defense.

If you can't pick up 1 or 2 yards on third down at a fairly good clip, you have no choice but to pass first and keep your opponent off balance with the run (aka Purdue in Tiller years). Even if we were in a position to consistently gain 4 or 5 yards running on first down, we're still in a passing situation on second down given our short yardage game. It's hard to maintain drives if you can't pick up those third and ones, so you might as well air it out. The question is when do you give up on the short yardage game and take a different approach?

If you can't pick up 1 or 2 yards on third down at a fairly good clip, you have no choice but to pass first and keep your opponent off balance with the run (aka Purdue in Tiller years). Even if we were in a position to consistently gain 4 or 5 yards running on first down, we're still in a passing situation on second down given our short yardage game. It's hard to maintain drives if you can't pick up those third and ones, so you might as well air it out. The question is when do you give up on the short yardage game and take a different approach?
as far as the Tiller years, we used that one play to Vinnie, the zig route either left or right for a sure 4 to 7 yds that is not in this coach's scheme. There's alot of quick outs but still waiting for a pump fake by Card and go go deep like Brees did

I think we probably need to throw to set up the run and go more quick tempo.

I understand we've been moving the ball. The problem is we need to score more to overcome our porous defense.
some teams go full house backfield w/ a big lineman

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT