ADVERTISEMENT

Graham Harrell’s Air Raid Offense

Dec 14, 2023
Since this is a bye week, let’s talk about the Air Raid offense. Particularly Graham Harrell’s Air Raid Offense.
Many criticized Harrell for his offense last year. I have maintained that he did not have the pieces he needed to run the Air Raid offense as it should have. We saw glimpses, but it was not fully executed.

The OLine has been beefed up and there is more depth. And we have bigger receivers like Edrine.

“We wanted big guys that could run and catch contested balls. We didn’t have a lot of length last year. We had one guy that had some speed. So, I feel like we got a lot of length and a lot of speed out on the edge.” - Ryan Walters on what he is looking for in WRs

Tune up games like Indiana State is valuable so the offense can fine tune its schemes. How will this translate to Norte Dame? We shall see. Norte Dame and Al Golden has seen their share of Air Raid offense from Clemson and USC and dealt with it with mixed results.

Here is an article from Hammer and Rail. Written by Drew S. I like to see more articles like this where we break down specific plays.

Since this is a bye week, let’s talk about the Air Raid offense. Particularly Graham Harrell’s Air Raid Offense.
Many criticized Harrell for his offense last year. I have maintained that he did not have the pieces he needed to run the Air Raid offense as it should have. We saw glimpses, but it was not fully executed.

The OLine has been beefed up and there is more depth. And we have bigger receivers like Edrine.

“We wanted big guys that could run and catch contested balls. We didn’t have a lot of length last year. We had one guy that had some speed. So, I feel like we got a lot of length and a lot of speed out on the edge.” - Ryan Walters on what he is looking for in WRs

Tune up games like Indiana State is valuable so the offense can fine tune its schemes. How will this translate to Norte Dame? We shall see. Norte Dame and Al Golden has seen their share of Air Raid offense from Clemson and USC and dealt with it with mixed results.

Here is an article from Hammer and Rail. Written by Drew S. I like to see more articles like this where we break down specific plays.

Sounds like you’re trying to convince yourself.

The offense wasn’t great at times last year but the defense was by far our weak link. If we can get incrementally better on Offense and not give up big plays on D we will be in a solid position to beat the teams we should on our schedule.

Reactions: Bippus33 and BBG
Sounds like you’re trying to convince yourself.

The offense wasn’t great at times last year but the defense was by far our weak link. If we can get incrementally better on Offense and not give up big plays on D we will be in a solid position to beat the teams we should on our schedule.

I see. Trying to be your usual stick in the mud.

I do not need to be convinced. Just pointing out things I see.

Go troll on someone else’s thread.

Reactions: z_one
I see. Trying to be your usual stick in the mud.

I do not need to be convinced. Just pointing out things I see.

Go troll on someone else’s thread.
If stating what needs to happen to be successful is trolling….you may need to toughen up.

Plenty to be proven over the next few weeks about where this team actually stands. Just think the chest pumping after beating a team that was a half step above running our plays vs air is a bit much.

Nice article.

I love the RPO concept. Especially with the run/pass balance Harrell has. I also agree that he has the WR options he needs to execute the offense.

Tune up games are nice. Also they allow you to show some tendencies on film, then hopefully add a wrinkle or two to take advantage of the defense adjustments they make on film. Tiller's teams used to install their base offense early, the add new wrinkles every week to stay ahead of defenses.

I'm looking forward to ND!

If stating what needs to happen to be successful is trolling….you may need to toughen up.

Plenty to be proven over the next few weeks about where this team actually stands. Just think the chest pumping after beating a team that was a half step above running our plays vs air is a bit much.
Come on, man. The guy posts a good article about offense, and you automatically derail it with an OT post about dissatisfaction of the defense.

We know you don't like Walters defense. Everyone knows your position. We get it. We don't need to see it everywhere.

I was listening to Boilers in the Stands and I think they said something like PFF has a stat call rushing yards caused by OL. Both vs isu

In 2022, 2.3 yards per carry was due to OL.
In 2024, 4.7 yards per carry was due to OL.

I don’t hate that. Now get the LT back and Purdue’s offense could cook this year.

Come on, man. The guy posts a good article about offense, and you automatically derail it with an OT post about dissatisfaction of the defense.

We know you don't like Walters defense. Everyone knows your position. We get it. We don't need to see it everywhere.
Wish he’d give Walter’s a chance to build the D… he’s bringing in a ton more talent than we’ve seen on the defense. It’s not like Walter’s defense has only worked at major programs with 5 star recruits.

I was listening to Boilers in the Stands and I think they said something like PFF has a stat call rushing yards caused by OL. Both vs isu

In 2022, 2.3 yards per carry was due to OL.
In 2024, 4.7 yards per carry was due to OL.

I don’t hate that. Now get the LT back and Purdue’s offense could cook this year.
Nothing like comparing one game against a patsy against a whole season where probably every team was better than ISU except perhaps one was ISU.

• Haha
Nothing like comparing one game against a patsy against a whole season where probably every team was better than ISU except perhaps one was ISU.
I didn’t realize comparing 1 game vs isu to 1 game vs isu was an issue? Read my post again and you will see that it is only the two isu games being looked at.

So do you want to comment again? Because this is comparing apples to apples.

I didn’t realize comparing 1 game vs isu to 1 game vs isu was an issue? Read my post again and you will see that it is only the two isu games being looked at.

Corey Stewart is back. Looking forward to seeing him anchor the left side.

Again. These tune up games are valuable for the team to fine tune whatever they are doing before the bigger games. I mean IU has three tune up games before conference play.

When Tennessee or OU has patsy games it is fine, they ran up the score. They look like a stud team. But when we play a patsy, “it’s just Indiana State”.

The 2024 offensive line is very promising. it will be good to see them against ND and Oregon State D line.

You haven’t heard shit yet lol. Notre dame handily beat our best team in 20 years (2021) and if we lose by 21, you’re gonna see guys coming out of the wood work with the most bizarre takes about how Walters is worse than hazell.

And I’m telling you. You’re gonna read some of this shit and be like “was brohm fired”

Apologies. I guess I didn't see that isu was mentioned in your text when reading it the second time before replying.

Reactions: z_one and BoilerN
You haven’t heard shit yet lol. Notre dame handily beat our best team in 20 years (2021) and if we lose by 21, you’re gonna see guys coming out of the wood work with the most bizarre takes about how Walters is worse than hazell.

And I’m telling you. You’re gonna read some of this shit and be like “was brohm fired”
Purdue would have won that game if the ole QB guru played the right QB…. I stand by that.

That is kinda sad. Instead of rooting for your team, hoping for a team to fail.

I think Harrell is a very good OC. Young and still getting better. He gets a ton of misguided hate around here imo. In his first season at Purdue, installing a new system, working with sub par talent at WR and on the OL and a hurt QB, he fielded an offense very nearly as good as the vaunted Brohmco team of 2023. I’m excited to see what he’s able to do with this group, with a 2nd year QB and improved talent up front and at WR.

that game wasn’t a blow out by any means. It was 17-13 in the 4th quarter and 20-13 until their back broke a long one with like 5 minutes to go

I think Harrell is a very good OC. Young and still getting better. He gets a ton of misguided hate around here imo. In his first season at Purdue, installing a new system, working with sub par talent at WR and on the OL and a hurt QB, he fielded an offense very nearly as good as the vaunted Brohmco team of 2023. I’m excited to see what he’s able to do with this group, with a 2nd year QB and improved talent up front and at WR.
Better not compare it to closely to Brohm or people will come at you, even though it is factually true.

that game wasn’t a blow out by any means. It was 17-13 in the 4th quarter and 20-13 until their back broke a long one with like 5 minutes to go
Now take that team and sell karlaftis off to Alabama. How does it go then?

31-10 Irish should be what’s expected. No better. If we get better, great
Why should that be expected? I just watched them play a meh team with a crap QB and now I’m to believe ND is great because they struggled with them for 3 quarters?

I expect Purdue to have a chance to win. Why shouldn’t I? Did the same in 2021. And they had every chance to win.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Why should that be expected? I just watched them play a meh team with a crap QB and now I’m to believe ND is great because they struggled with them for 3 quarters?

I expect Purdue to have a chance to win. Why shouldn’t I? Did the same in 2021. And they had every chance to win.
TAMU isn’t a meh team but you also might have undersold just how bad their QB is/was.

Loaded with talent on both lines. They’ve just struggled to get and keep a good QB for like 5 years now.

I think we have a better QB for sure. Probably equal levels of skill playmakers. Our lines probably aren’t as good. If we move card around and get WRs open we have a chance.

As I shared before today and got jumped on…our ultimate success is tied to rapid and extreme improvement on D and not as much the offense.

TAMU isn’t a meh team but you also might have undersold just how bad their QB is/was.

Loaded with talent on both lines. They’ve just struggled to get and keep a good QB for like 5 years now.

I think we have a better QB for sure. Probably equal levels of skill playmakers. Our lines probably aren’t as good. If we move card around and get WRs open we have a chance.

As I shared before today and got jumped on…our ultimate success is tied to rapid and extreme improvement on D and not as much the offense.
I agree with the D 100%. It will likely take a step. It’s a matter of how big. If Purdue can match their physicality somewhat close, which I think they can, it will be a good game. Also need Jenkins to make a step, which I think he could. Walter’s said he was hesitating early in the game vs isu, adjusting to new position. Saw him playing quicker a bit later before being done.

I agree with the D 100%. It will likely take a step. It’s a matter of how big. If Purdue can match their physicality somewhat close, which I think they can, it will be a good game. Also need Jenkins to make a step, which I think he could. Walter’s said he was hesitating early in the game vs isu, adjusting to new position. Saw him playing quicker a bit later before being done.
Last year the D was good about 80% of the time. Lots of sacks and QB pressure. Generally good at stopping the run (outside of the QB counter stuff).

Issue was the other 20% of the time it was giving up huge chunk plays and negating really any of the success from the other 80%.

Cut the miscues down to 5% and we’ll be competitive.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Last year the D was good about 80% of the time. Lots of sacks and QB pressure. Generally good at stopping the run (outside of the QB counter stuff).

Issue was the other 20% of the time it was giving up huge chunk plays and negating really any of the success from the other 80%.

Cut the miscues down to 5% and we’ll be competitive.
Ya. Good news is, we can expect a year two jump based on history. DB’s are much better this year as well.

The OL was horrid in both pass and run blocking today. The WR's were basically MIA today. They were unable to create separation leading to a number of Card sacks.

In summation the Air Raid Offense SUCKS!.......or maybe just the offensive coordinator does.

Reactions: BBG and pboiler18
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT