ADVERTISEMENT

Got to give Haarms some much due credit

ImRonBurgandy?

All-American
Aug 14, 2008
Let's face it, he has been rather disappointing for a big part of the season thus far. Maybe he reads these message boards. I tuned in about the 17 min mark or so, and Haarms made an aggressive move to the hole for a bucket. I thought to myself, where's that been for the past --- well season. He had a nice 15-16 footer too, which really is there anytime he wants it at 7'3". I'd like for him to be a bit more assertive throughout the time he's in the game and at the same time incorporated more into the offense, which I think is part of the issue. Man, if we can have Haarms and Wheeler giving us 10-12 pts a game each and disrupting shots, we're really all of a sudden in great shape as I don't expect Cline to 0-for much. Best lineup IMO is Eastern, Edwards, Cline, Haarms, Wheeler.

PS: Matt, if you're reading, good game!

Let's face it, he has been rather disappointing for a big part of the season thus far. Maybe he reads these message boards. I tuned in about the 17 min mark or so, and Haarms made an aggressive move to the hole for a bucket. I thought to myself, where's that been for the past --- well season. He had a nice 15-16 footer too, which really is there anytime he wants it at 7'3". I'd like for him to be a bit more assertive throughout the time he's in the game and at the same time incorporated more into the offense, which I think is part of the issue. Man, if we can have Haarms and Wheeler giving us 10-12 pts a game each and disrupting shots, we're really all of a sudden in great shape as I don't expect Cline to 0-for much. Best lineup IMO is Eastern, Edwards, Cline, Haarms, Wheeler.

PS: Matt, if you're reading, good game!

Again, I think there's perception vs. reality. This notion that Haarms is "disappointing" - well, when he was thrust into the spotlight last year, it's not like dominated and has regressed. He got to play against team's second stringers last year when Haas got some rest.

Haarms has some tools, but he's also inexperienced as a starting center (which is a position that typically takes the longest to develop). I think he'll get there - I think people just had these crazy expectations going into the year that we were gonna pick off where we stopped - even though we were returning 3 players with more than 1 year of experience basically.

But yes, I agree, that I'd like to see Matt continue to be more involved - doesn't mean it has to be him shooting all the time or anything, but we need some post presence to free up the perimeter. Hopefully Matt continues to be active and the guards find opportunities to feed him the basketball.

Again, I think there's perception vs. reality. This notion that Haarms is "disappointing" - well, when he was thrust into the spotlight last year, it's not like dominated and has regressed. He got to play against team's second stringers last year when Haas got some rest.

Haarms has some tools, but he's also inexperienced as a starting center (which is a position that typically takes the longest to develop). I think he'll get there - I think people just had these crazy expectations going into the year that we were gonna pick off where we stopped - even though we were returning 3 players with more than 1 year of experience basically.

But yes, I agree, that I'd like to see Matt continue to be more involved - doesn't mean it has to be him shooting all the time or anything, but we need some post presence to free up the perimeter. Hopefully Matt continues to be active and the guards find opportunities to feed him the basketball.
Your last statement is a key. The guards need to look for him and get him the ball when he is in a position to score. This is true for the entire team from an offensive perspective. We have seen that there will be games where our top 2 options aren't scoring. Opening up the offense to the other players opens it up for everyone, including the top 2 options.

Your last statement is a key. The guards need to look for him and get him the ball when he is in a position to score. This is true for the entire team from an offensive perspective. We have seen that there will be games where our top 2 options aren't scoring. Opening up the offense to the other players opens it up for everyone, including the top 2 options.
Yep exactly what I've been saying!

I concur sir more balance is what is needed if that happens Purdue will be hard to beat. Expose matchups with Nojel and Haarms combo could be lethal.

Yes, our guards need to look for 4/5 inside more, particularly Haarms. He can be a guy who shoots at a high efficiency. We can't simply be a perimeter team. It's easier said than done - last year we got away from it at times and had a center who made 60%+ of his shots.

Yes, our guards need to look for 4/5 inside more, particularly Haarms. He can be a guy who shoots at a high efficiency. We can't simply be a perimeter team. It's easier said than done - last year we got away from it at times and had a center who made 60%+ of his shots.
I thought that Carsen did a much better job last night of not forcing the offense. The offense looked much more balanced, despite the low score.

I love the upside of Haarms and Wheeler at the 4 and 5.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
I thought that Carsen did a much better job last night of not forcing the offense. The offense looked much more balanced, despite the low score.

I love the upside of Haarms and Wheeler at the 4 and 5.

I said over and over again before the season that it would be a challenging year for Carsen because of simply his role. Last year, he had 4 starters who regularly scored 10+ a game around him which led to a massive challenge for teams on how to defend him and Purdue overall. This year, teams are laser focused on him.

The more involved his teammates get, the better it will be for Purdue - even though Carsen's "points" may be fewer. I don't think Carsen is selfish, I think it's a combination of him trying to carry the team while seeing these guys around him needing to get acclimated. Carsen can shoot 15 times a game - but they need to be 15 good shots. Right now, there's some forcing on his part, but it requires his teammates to draw attention from the defense and you gotta be confident to get involved. We've seen Wheeler start to build that - I wouldn't say consistently, which is ok. We need some other guys to figure out ways that they can contribute more offensively.

I said over and over again before the season that it would be a challenging year for Carsen because of simply his role. Last year, he had 4 starters who regularly scored 10+ a game around him which led to a massive challenge for teams on how to defend him and Purdue overall. This year, teams are laser focused on him.

The more involved his teammates get, the better it will be for Purdue - even though Carsen's "points" may be fewer. I don't think Carsen is selfish, I think it's a combination of him trying to carry the team while seeing these guys around him needing to get acclimated. Carsen can shoot 15 times a game - but they need to be 15 good shots. Right now, there's some forcing on his part, but it requires his teammates to draw attention from the defense and you gotta be confident to get involved. We've seen Wheeler start to build that - I wouldn't say consistently, which is ok. We need some other guys to figure out ways that they can contribute more offensively.
I concur. Team, through the First portion of the year, feels like Big Dog's First year. Him and not much else in regards to offensive weapons. However, potentially, our guys could come together much faster, as in this year. Haarms and Wheeler are the key.

Reactions: BoilerAndy

And if he gets his teammates involved, it will open up more for him because teams will realize that they have to stop more than just CE.

And I have to believe it is what the NBA is looking for from him.

This has been one of the best threads I have seen in a long time. Agree 100% with the posters who state we need to get the ball inside some and not be totally perimeter oriented. Getting Nojel and Haarms more involved will only help everyone else. Good to see a thread where people can be respectful, after all we are all on the same team.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
This has been one of the best threads I have seen in a long time. Agree 100% with the posters who state we need to get the ball inside some and not be totally perimeter oriented. Getting Nojel and Haarms more involved will only help everyone else. Good to see a thread where people can be respectful, after all we are all on the same team.
I think we all think the same thing. I believe it will help 1 balance the scoring and 2 there scoring will help carsen and Cline to get more opportunities to score bcuz all the focus won’t be on just 2 players but Nojel Haarms Cline carsen including Aaron Eifert Evan. That is why teams like Mich wins they spread the offense out now it becomes hard to guard 5/6 players verses 2. Why last years team was so Lethal the offense went through 4/5 guys which had teams scrambling to guard each of those players. Spread it out more noje inside and Haarms duo low post high post could be special just gotta invole both in the offense more.

Pretty decent game. Not the best, but really was the only other guy Who gave us something of a threat offensively tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT