ADVERTISEMENT

Good to see that Purdue is pushing for OL including JUCO help.

MilwaukeeBoilerFan

All-American
May 29, 2001
As a fan, I was disappointed that our OL talent was lacking as compared to skill position talent. How painful the 1st four games glared at us viewing fans. I know young OL development does not magically happen either. Not being in synch with skill talent & OL appeared to lite a fire under the coaches butts as the recruiting trail is heating up with OL. I see today's headline + yesterday's commitment of Nalin Fox along with Arkansas player de-commitment Ty'kieast Crawford (dude appears to be a nasty beast and hopefully we get him) and have hope that Purdue is rectifying the situation ASAP. The old adage of "creating competition at all positions" will serve Purdue well moving forward. I don't think we would have seen that adjustment this quick under the Haze days regime.

As a fan, I was disappointed that our OL talent was lacking as compared to skill position talent. How painful the 1st four games glared at us viewing fans. I know young OL development does not magically happen either. Not being in synch with skill talent & OL appeared to lite a fire under the coaches butts as the recruiting trail is heating up with OL. I see today's headline + yesterday's commitment of Nalin Fox along with Arkansas player de-commitment Ty'kieast Crawford (dude appears to be a nasty beast and hopefully we get him) and have hope that Purdue is rectifying the situation ASAP. The old adage of "creating competition at all positions" will serve Purdue well moving forward. I don't think we would have seen that adjustment this quick under the Haze days regime.
Under Haze we never reached this stage to make that adjustment. Under Haze our program was like a career of a Proctologist, you start at the bottom and stay at the bottom.

Under Haze we never reached this stage to make that adjustment. Under Haze our program was like a career of a Proctologist, you start at the bottom and stay at the bottom.
I don’t care what that job pays...could not do it.

as jucos go, how did Smart work out ? I know he played, but how good was he ?

looking at his bio, he's a center. We already have Beach, and Hartwig coming in as a center. I could see him starting at Center and allowing Hartwig to redshirt. But what does this move say about Beach's status? I can't believe Brohm would be looking at a juco for his bench and not starting him.

looking at his bio, he's a center. We already have Beach, and Hartwig coming in as a center. I could see him starting at Center and allowing Hartwig to redshirt. But what does this move say about Beach's status? I can't believe Brohm would be looking at a juco for his bench and not starting him.
Smart didnt play a down of meaningful football.

Pass on JUCO OL.
tumblr_mpkbxjbcTj1rf9wf0o2_500.png

Smart didnt play a down of meaningful football.

Thanks. I can appreciate that answer.

As I recall the juco linemen Hazell brought here were even worse.

I would agree you should not bring any juco player here unless you expect him to be a starter, or in the event the player was originally recruited , but had academic issues.

If the staff sees the recent Juco prospect as a contributor next year that's good with me. If he doesn't fit that mold I'd prefer they go after prospects on the grad transfer market - someone who's performed at the D1 level.
Purdue currently has 12 underclassmen linemen(7 of whom have freshmen eligibility) on the roster, and 1 contributor in the junior class. Bringing in a grad transfer or Juco with 2 years' eligibility remaining would help somewhat to balance out the classes.

He has been oddly quiet since the win. Somebody show up to Section 115 over the weekend?

Careful Nat, you just made the list buddy. Maybe he swallowed his aggression(along with a lot of pizza).

Can Spegal play tackle or guard? I mean, we really should be recruiting him for something since so many here have a man crush on him...

I have a gut feeling that Beach might not be the center for the future. Maybe he isn't the best center. Maybe he will be one of these always injured types. And maybe if he gets healthy, he might be a better guard. If we take a JUCO OL that player will be given first shot at his position.

One positive is that, other than McCann every other scholarship lineman could return next season, hopefully further along strength-wise. Criddle is a senior academically but has a 5th year should he choose to utilize it.
The reason this is a positive is that the development of a good unit requires individual strength improvements AND technique/cohesion improvement. Having the underclassmen together through this year should start paying off into the next season.

Reactions: Purdue85

Not necessary. You’re overreacting.

Again, I would have thought Brohm would have addressed the line...both sides....first before any other position. But....he didn't and now he's having to attempt to catch up to everyone else.

Again, I would have thought Brohm would have addressed the line...both sides....first before any other position. But....he didn't and now he's having to attempt to catch up to everyone else.

I can’t believe he didn’t get here after the 2016 season and start ripping off 5.7 RR commits.

“Wanna Be a linesman for a dumpster fire?”

Well he certainly had playing time to offer didn't he.

He recruited grad transfers and a juco to be competitive sooner. He could’ve used them on other high school players however wouldn’t have gained momentum so quickly. Had he landed cronk, like he thought he had, the situation may be much different.

Purdue has offered Max Schumann, OL, (C or G) from College of DuPage. 6'4" 310. Attended St. Charles East HS, which might be same as Kendall Stephens. Can't remember which St. Charles KS went to.

I find this board very interesting.

on one day, you say, we trust brohm, even if the player's rating is bad. brohm must have seen something in this guy. and you totally ignore the player's shortcomings.

So brohm is now recruiting a juco player, and you then say pass - he's a loser. You don't want him.

but Brohm's recruiting this guy, so he must see something in him. You can't have it both ways. Either you trust Brohm's recruiting eye for talent. or if this guy's a loser and pass, then you should say the same thing about previous brohm pick-ups.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
I find this board very interesting.

on one day, you say, we trust brohm, even if the player's rating is bad. brohm must have seen something in this guy. and you totally ignore the player's shortcomings.

So brohm is now recruiting a juco player, and you then say pass - he's a loser. You don't want him.

but Brohm's recruiting this guy, so he must see something in him. You can't have it both ways. Either you trust Brohm's recruiting eye for talent. or if this guy's a loser and pass, then you should say the same thing about previous brohm pick-ups.
Maybe different posters are saying different things. It's not exactly easy to reach a consensus here on most things.

Reactions: jindy and Purdue85
according to what?

I recall seeing his name batted around on this forum, but never a report that Brohm thought he had him.

Maybe I missed it.

that does bring up a good point. I believe we can all agree that Brohm is a very active recruiter and he does not shy away from recruiting jucos and grad transfers.

Sort of like the Dickinson scenario in basketball. Some posters and Brian indicated that painter thought he had an agreement with Dickinson, and that is why the two other centers looked elsewhere and painter stopped recruiting them, only to lose out on Dickinson as well.

Now apply that to Cronk. the previous years Brohm signed juco Smart and signed the grad transfer C/G from WKU late in the season. Last year brohm signed holt as a grad transfer but no experienced o-line help. I have to believe brohm knew our o-line was inexperienced. And I have to believe he was looking for an experienced lineman. however, if the word was out and Brohm believed Cronk was coming to Purdue, he may have backed off his recruiting efforts of adding a grad transfer to the line, believing that need would be filled by Cronk. and the n when Cronk changed his mind and decided to stay at IU, it was too late in the process and the transfers brohm had contacted all signed elsewhere.

That's where I believe losing out on Cronk was a double whammy. We not only lost out on Cronk, we also lost out on recruiting other potential grad transfers at the position.

A similar case was in basketball and football. In basketball , Swanigan waited a long time before declaring for the pros. And several elite big men signed elsewhere because they couldn't wait for the decision to be made. and in football, we've told several athletes in the past, we were at our scholarship limit, and if one was available, we'd give it to them, and they went elsewhere for the sure thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT