ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga

You’re correct in that Gregg is 6’10 and probably stronger than Loyer. I wonder if Zach can play somewhat of a floating zone to help out with other post ups…either way it’s going to be a great chess match to watch.
The problem with a Big helping like Zach is Zach's man on the boards and possible dump depending on who is defending him. That is always the risk. It could be as simple as Ike setting a ball screen for Hickman and Hickman threatens the drive and Zach is now on D containing Hickman and Ike rolls to the rim with Lance or Braden fronting him all the while Hickman holds Zach's attention as a threat to score. Now which 3 or 4 is in the area to take Ike and switch with Braden or Lance on this 6'9" guy...can Trey get to him or is he occupied on a shooter elsewhere? There are many other ways, but when a 6'8" or 6'10" is on a screen with anyone who is 6' to 6'4" (screens with the 1,2 or 3) problems can be seconds away.

I don't know whether we see Zach in drop or the way he played against Gonzaga and other teams that spent a lot of time with 5 behind the arc. I know Purdue needs to keep them out of the lane as much as possible or hope they miss the mid range shots and I don't like "hope" as an effective ploy. Purdue does not want to lose ZAch and so he will be a bit passive to protect fouls until later in the game "IF" he is in good shape to start to challenge shots. Their starting 3 man is bigger and Purdue's starting 3 man is probably quicker and who wins that may cause the first change. Zach is very vulnerable to the bounce pass in drop or a bit higher in the lane with a player driving the ball that can pass. How Purdue's 3 man play will be interesting as well as Zach and Braden. I have to believe that Purdues 2 & 4 hold their own, but again all of this is from other's statements and not me seeing them in depth.

The less Zach is in space and moving the less likely he gets much activity and chances for a foul, but if you bring the sag to stop penetration, then you give a better look for their 3 ball. Hopefully Purdue has a few openings to push the ball and we get the controlled, but fast Lance to finish. Watch to see if and on what players if any Purdue goes under the screen. The more Purdue can go under if Matt chances that the better position Purdue can defend....as long as going under doesn't result on a 3 ball made

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Gonzaga had its way against Kansas’s drop coverage and the Zags’ analysts seem to feel like they will really try to test Edey with Nembhard and Eke surrounded by shooters. There is also the real possibility that they try to isolate Gregg against Loyer in the post, but this is where I think it helps that Ike isn’t a shooter and Edey should be able to help.

There is also the possibility that they try to go with five shooters either by choice or because of Ike foul trouble and try to force Edey to guard the perimeter. It won’t be the first time that Edey will have had to do so, with Nebraska being the school who did so with the most success. That said, I think they lose a lot on the defensive side with Ike out and I have a hard time thinking that’s Few’s preference.
With what I understand that they have many shooters it may very well be that Zach plays them like the first time on the man but a bit of sag as opposed to drop. This is why I hope Trey comes out and establishes inside and draws some fouls early. They lose a big man to fouls, it should help Purdue since they seem to be limited in depth and probably go a bit smaller allowing Purdue's 3 man to have someone more his size. Zach will give token D on the perimeter hopeful that Ike doesn't hit the 3 ball. If I'm few Ike is putting up a LOT of shots on top of the arc this week. Who executes? Who plays the best D? leads in boards and has the fewest turnovers while shooting as well or better than the opposition. This is where I would love to see a really quick Purdue team on D forcing them to move a step quicker than usual...to have slightly less time to shoot than usual and to catch a Purdue team pushing the ball when possible while Purdue plays with possibly better depth play?

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
As long as G doesn't win by some guy getting hot and hitting some wild banked 3, as per Kstate, I am good.

My wife though much prefers these blowout games. Wants 4 more of them. She goes nuts watching the games, as she cannot take the fouling underneath when the refs aren't calling the fouls.
Ugg... I was at that game in Detroit at the old Silver Dome... that game still haunts me.

I think you let Ike shoot from three and take your chances…at least initially
yes, that is what they did the first game. If he misses...easy, but if not, then what? Still prefer Zach not chasing people as Purdue trails on screens to keep them from shooting 3 ball as that increases Zach's chance at a foul. The less Zach has to help the better for Zach and Purdue. Yes, I, you and Few expect that. Now, I still have a concern about the "potential" size advantage at the 3 on boards and inside scoring. Maybe neither team can stop the other most the time and it becomes a scoring feast.

Reactions: jtanoos1
I still have the bad taste in my mouth from the 1988 tournament loss. You know, the K State thing where we beat them, then play them in the tournament and lose. I dont think I can handle that. Again.....
That scenario could happen again this weekend, which we hope doesn't. We all remember Mitch Richmond banking in a 3 ball and Everette dribbling off his leg. I think Purdue handled them well the first game. KSU played a match-up zone and Purdue ran Flex (which I'm VERY familiar with) against it and in the second game KSU went totally man I think? Flex is an offense against man that Gene and Iowa used for many years and can't recall if it was the primary use in the second game or not. It may have been?

That scenario could happen again this weekend, which we hope doesn't. We all remember Mitch Richmond banking in a 3 ball and Everette dribbling off his leg. I think Purdue handled them well the first game. KSU played a match-up zone and Purdue ran Flex (which I'm VERY familiar with) against it and in the second game KSU went totally man I think? Flex is an offense against man that Gene and Iowa used for many years and can't recall if it was the primary use in the second game or not. It may have been?
KSU played zone quite a bit in the 2nd game also. It's on Youtube if you want to torture yourself and watch it again.....

• Haha
Reactions: tjreese
Definitely could expect a slightly different dynamic for this game than that from the Maui game in November. Gonzaga did get out to a 17-9 lead and maintained up to 30-21 late in the first half, eventually leading 35-30. Both teams did not shoot from distance particularly well, especially Gonzaga (6/32 for 18.75%), and both teams also turned it over fairly frequently. Gonzaga had 14 turnovers and Purdue with 13, 12 of which were Gonzaga steals.

Purdue used a second half surge of 43-28 to prevail 73-63 in one of the few games this year the Boilers did not outrebound the opposition and were beaten on the offensive glass (13-8).

Painter's thoughts after the game:

The start of the second half was key for us, getting some transition baskets, getting some steals, I thought we had some active hands at that time and I think that kind of set the tone for us in the second half. The other difference, I thought, was their inability to make 3s in the second half.”

I think this will be a spirited contest and very competitive - each team will need to out-execute the other to prevail is my first hunch - high intensity/high drama could be the theme heading into the weekend games.

Oh.....By the way, for any pronunciation officianados.......it's Zag.......rhymes with Shag.......

Yeah, Baby......

how.gif

Reactions: punaj
KSU played zone quite a bit in the 2nd game also. It's on Youtube if you want to torture yourself and watch it again.....
not now. ;) I think I was in the folding chairs behind the players in the first game and watching TV on the second. Flex was a man offense, but you run a man offense against a match-up zone since they match up in man. I could catch that and quickly see if Purdue ran Flex. If Purdue gets through this weekend I may just because I thought Purdue may have thumped them by 10-20 in the first game and can't recall what happened in the second other than the obvious and what we recall. If Purdue has a great weekend, my body can handle that second game just fine! ;)

Reactions: Do Dah Day
If he hits 4 or 5 in 6 attempts then I agree. If he has to take a high volume to get there..say, 8-10, I think it’s in our favor. I don’t think he’s going to shoot that much if he has missed 3-4 already tho.
he isn't going to shoot that many if he misses as you say

The key for me is if and who gets the foul called in the first 5 minutes. If Zach picks up an early one, that could make things difficult... maybe. If the Zags get one early, then that might open things up.

The key for me is if and who gets the foul called in the first 5 minutes. If Zach picks up an early one, that could make things difficult... maybe. If the Zags get one early, then that might open things up.

WHERE have you been - I was worried. - My son retired in January, BTW ...

Reactions: BBG and ChoiceBeef
OMG - The FLEX - I spent so many years coaching that It was tough for young kids to get into the rhythm.

Reactions: tjreese
WHERE have you been - I was worried. - My son retired in January, BTW ...
Sorry I was off waiting to see how the whole site split shook out and the other site is just, toxic anymore. I am not innocent in that regard, but it's just too easy to fall in to that trap. It's much more jovial over here which is what I missed :)

And congrats to your son!

Just re-watched. G put it on us in most of H1 where they had 6 threes.

Not many Purdue players played extremely well. Especially in H1 where Purdue was piss poor.

Furst played poorly. Morton on the other hand was good on D, his size helped when he was in there. Wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't see a few minutes

In H2 adequate to win, yes. Jones was good defensively & getting out on the break in H2. But overall, I have seen tons better play out of our complimentary players as the year has gone on. I am sure Purdue players re-watched too, and know they can do better. Gives me more faith at increased probability of win % tomorrow.

Last edited:
I am saying nothing but posting because a thread about IU is at the top of the board the night before Purdue ( not IU) plays in the s16.

• Haha
Reactions: BoilerAndy
Does anyone else think Ian Schieffelin remind them of Matt Howard from Butler? Just looks like a smart, unathletic basketball player.

• Haha
Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I am saying nothing but posting because a thread about IU is at the top of the board the night before Purdue ( not IU) plays in the s16.
that's pretty sad, if you truly don't care about that program why be engaged w/ a clown from their board

Reactions: RossMackey
Good offense beats good defense, not sure ISU can score with Illinois

ISU defense is holding ILL to 5/14 from the FT line
I mean that's the only thing Illinois isn't doing well. That's a 40+ pts half if they hit their FT average, which is very good offense.

26 pts is pretty bad offense.

Reactions: punaj
Just re-watched. G put it on us in most of H1 where they had 6 threes.

Not many Purdue players played extremely well. Especially in H1 where Purdue was piss poor.

Furst played poorly. Morton on the other hand was good on D, his size helped when he was in there. Wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't see a few minutes

In H2 adequate to win, yes. Jones was good defensively & getting out on the break in H2. But overall, I have seen tons better play out of our complimentary players as the year has gone on. I am sure Purdue players re-watched too, and know they can do better. Gives me more faith at increased probability of win % tomorrow.
When you look at that game you see just how bad the play was that early. I don’t know about Gonzaga, but Purdue is much better today…if today is a typical recent game.

Hickman and nembhard are quick and slippery. It may not make a difference which Braden and Lance have since they switch as needed, but if we assume they see Lance as the better D player or at least the player they should take on more D due to Braden running the offense, do they put Lance on nembhard and try to make getting into their offense harder or is he on Hickman? Want to break even or win that battle with Watson or whoever is playing at the time the 3. Soon we shall know

If Illinois wins we definitely gotta win or we won't hear the end of it all summer and next season

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT