ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga

They inflate their stats against a mostly talentless conference. St. Mary spanked them. They need a miracle.

Miracle?
TOs, missed foul shots, and Edey or Smith sitting on the bench for fouls, cold 3 shooting, or G shooting like NE..... a combo of a couple of those those and that's your miracle.

Some call a miracle, getting outplayed....NE, Rutgers. OSU, Wisconsin. Apparently miracles have already happened. Hope there isn't a 5th.

Last edited:
I like the approach of the players. Take one game at a time. This team is built differently and seem to be focused. Let's just play within the game plan and we win...IMO.

Reactions: Roeder
I think people don't give enough credit to Few. Another thing to watch is high screens. IMO Gonzaga will really try to get switch offs and have Zack out away from the basket to draw fouls or get better interior looks. They have good 3 pt shooters and I just don't want to see another Little Rock situation with a guard going off from 3 hitting buzzer beaters from half court banked in... Lol

I think it will be curious to see if they double or let their bigs go 1on1 v Zach. I’m sure he would rather get buckets at the rim than shooting FTs. I think depending on lineup for them, they will throw a few different things at Zach to slow him down. Guarding Zach is 40 minutes of hell and if take a second off, he will make you pay.

I don’t see us having the same slippery ball issues and inability to hit open shots against them. I keep telling myself the Mason game where he knocks down 4-5 3s and grabs 6 boards is right around the corner.

Part of me believes this game is close (3-5 pt Boiler lead at halftime) and around the under 12 is when Purdue stretches and never looks back. Gonzaga is playing in Mackey north and once the crowd is behind them, they aren’t giving it back.

First game Zaga FG% was 37.7% they were 60.3% against Kansas... First game 3pt % 18.8% against Kansas: 53%... Will they repeat? Certainly hope not because those are winning numbers... Is Kansas that bad... Probably not nearly as good as a normal 3 seed would be imo... Lets hope the hot shooting is curtailed...

First game Zaga FG% was 37.7% they were 60.3% against Kansas... First game 3pt % 18.8% against Kansas: 53%... Will they repeat? Certainly hope not because those are winning numbers... Is Kansas that bad... Probably not nearly as good as a normal 3 seed would be imo... Lets hope the hot shooting is curtailed...

That Kansas team was not interested at all in playing basketball the 2nd half, Dickinson especially. They weren't real interested in defense the whole game but were at least hitting shots.

We were 46 and 23 game 1 against them.

Against USU we were 56 and 48 and that includes garbage time misses by our walk ons as well as Braden having an okay night and sitting a lot.

They hope we don’t shoot that well.

So rewatched the whole game.

Purdue actually didn’t play particularly well in the first game. Like, I don’t wanna make excuses, but I feel like jet lag could have been an issue game #1

Mason Gillis took several passes off this face

Jones dribbled several off his foot

Loyer had several lazy passes

Loyer had several good looks, even airballed one.

We shot horribly from 3

Edey missed ALOT of shots he normally makes

Gonzaga shooting absolutely horribly from 3 was a big factor

Heide and Colvin both played a decent amount and played well

Can’t expect the zags to shoot that bad again, but can’t really expect us to play that sloppy again. Should be a good game

Zags are scoring 84.9/game, 35.4% from 3, 51.6 % overall… Hickman 41.8%/3 & 50% of his shots are from 3 (76/182) on high volume… average 13.9/game, Watson 40.8%/3 (20/49) more drives /inside game avg 14.5, Ike 5/15 from 3 on the year avg 16.4, Gregg 38.5%/3 (40/104) avg 9.2…most shot attempts 1) Hickman 367, Ike 366, Nembhard 357, Watson 340…

I think it will be curious to see if they double or let their bigs go 1on1 v Zach. I’m sure he would rather get buckets at the rim than shooting FTs. I think depending on lineup for them, they will throw a few different things at Zach to slow him down. Guarding Zach is 40 minutes of hell and if take a second off, he will make you pay.

I don’t see us having the same slippery ball issues and inability to hit open shots against them. I keep telling myself the Mason game where he knocks down 4-5 3s and grabs 6 boards is right around the corner.

Part of me believes this game is close (3-5 pt Boiler lead at halftime) and around the under 12 is when Purdue stretches and never looks back. Gonzaga is playing in Mackey north and once the crowd is behind them, they aren’t giving it back.
Many games, and I realize this isn't many games, Purdue starts to make a move with less than 10 in the first half. If ZAch is on and they play him straight up and no mugging he will score at a higher clip than Gonzaga will with the 3 ball I believe. He will be 60+% and if Purdue covers them decent I'm looking at 35% or less from behind the arc and all that is gut. If Purdue does not help off the shooters and Purdue is close enough to cover quickly to give them little room to shoot and they drive and hit the mid range I think Zach at the rim (if no mugging and a good game) hits a higher % than they do after being run off the arc. Course we have rebounds, putbacks, turnover and just cold shooting...any of those could weigh heavy in determining the game. Now if Ike shoots over his 33% from behind the arc and Zach is struggling it can be tough. Purdue is the better team and why I hope they just don't have a bad game. Kids and coaches have put too much into it . Other than Zach and Braden, Purdue could win with Fletch or Mason or Lance ..if only one is off. Can Gonzaga win if one of their shooters is off? Zach is key...because he can score when things break down and I'm not sure they have a consist producer when things break down.

If they send too many to the O boards and Zach still gets it Purdue will push it and try to steal some...maybe where Lance shines. Personally I see Cam getting a lot of minutes in this one.

Many games, and I realize this isn't many games, Purdue starts to make a move with less than 10 in the first half. If ZAch is on and they play him straight up and no mugging he will score at a higher clip than Gonzaga will with the 3 ball I believe. He will be 60+% and if Purdue covers them decent I'm looking at 35% or less from behind the arc and all that is gut. If Purdue does not help off the shooters and Purdue is close enough to cover quickly to give them little room to shoot and they drive and hit the mid range I think Zach at the rim (if no mugging and a good game) hits a higher % than they do after being run off the arc. Course we have rebounds, putbacks, turnover and just cold shooting...any of those could weigh heavy in determining the game. Now if Ike shoots over his 33% from behind the arc and Zach is struggling it can be tough. Purdue is the better team and why I hope they just don't have a bad game. Kids and coaches have put too much into it . Other than Zach and Braden, Purdue could win with Fletch or Mason or Lance ..if only one is off. Can Gonzaga win if one of their shooters is off? Zach is key...because he can score when things break down and I'm not sure they have a consist producer when things break down.

If they send too many to the O boards and Zach still gets it Purdue will push it and try to steal some...maybe where Lance shines. Personally I see Cam getting a lot of minutes in this one.
Ike hasn’t hit a 3 since January 27th and missed the other 3 he has taken since. Our game was the most made 3s attempted for him all season. I think if he is taking 3s and missing, that shows they are in desperation mode. Just my 2 cents.

I am more concerned with us contain Gregg since he can hit consistently from deep. That is where our switched and assignments can’t be off.

Ike hasn’t hit a 3 since January 27th and missed the other 3 he has taken since. Our game was the most made 3s attempted for him all season. I think if he is taking 3s and missing, that shows they are in desperation mode. Just my 2 cents.

I am more concerned with us contain Gregg since he can hit consistently from deep. That is where our switched and assignments can’t be off.
What you said was that if Ike is out Zach only has a worry if he is a screener for a shooter behind the arc. If he stays deep Zach has to maybe be closer than drop to him, but can play in the lane somewhat and hope if Zach covers a driver that someone takes out Ike. Hopefully, Trey adds to Zach's inside influence. Purdue is short with Braden and Lance. fletcher has a couple more inches but is more frail. I'm hopeful that Trey can handle Gregg, but we have a size mismatch with Watson. Any screen that Watson is in can result in someone being smaller defending a larger body and why I can see Cam getting minutes and them using Watson in a lot of screens...especially knowing Purdue switches a lot. What I don't know is whether he drives the ball. A shooter that doesn't drive the ball...fletcher can defend him...but then what about the switch. It would be great if Trey starts out like he did and puts a couple of early fouls on one of their bigs. I say all this and I haven't really watched Gonzaga to have an informed opinion. I know Hickman and Nembhard can change pace and are slippery. Can Purdue make dribbling towards the lane tough without giving an open 3 ball look?

I just don't know or have an informed feel about how physical they are inside, whether the 3 and 4 man drive the ball and have a mid range game or just go to posts depending who the smaller player is on the 3 man. Last time when their ball side guard went to dig at the ball the other Gonzaga defender split the distance between the offensive player he had and the offensive player that the defender went to dig on the ball had...Purdue players need to relocate a couple of steps to buy time off the recover. It will come down as games always due to execution and if Zach is on it is a big advantage to always have that go to player to deliver...

What you said was that if Ike is out Zach only has a worry if he is a screener for a shooter behind the arc. If he stays deep Zach has to maybe be closer than drop to him, but can play in the lane somewhat and hope if Zach covers a driver that someone takes out Ike. Hopefully, Trey adds to Zach's inside influence. Purdue is short with Braden and Lance. fletcher has a couple more inches but is more frail. I'm hopeful that Trey can handle Gregg, but we have a size mismatch with Watson. Any screen that Watson is in can result in someone being smaller defending a larger body and why I can see Cam getting minutes and them using Watson in a lot of screens...especially knowing Purdue switches a lot. What I don't know is whether he drives the ball. A shooter that doesn't drive the ball...fletcher can defend him...but then what about the switch. It would be great if Trey starts out like he did and puts a couple of early fouls on one of their bigs. I say all this and I haven't really watched Gonzaga to have an informed opinion. I know Hickman and Nembhard can change pace and are slippery. Can Purdue make dribbling towards the lane tough without giving an open 3 ball look?

I just don't know or have an informed feel about how physical they are inside, whether the 3 and 4 man drive the ball and have a mid range game or just go to posts depending who the smaller player is on the 3 man. Last time when their ball side guard went to dig at the ball the other Gonzaga defender split the distance between the offensive player he had and the offensive player that the defender went to dig on the ball had...Purdue players need to relocate a couple of steps to buy time off the recover. It will come down as games always due to execution and if Zach is on it is a big advantage to always have that go to player to deliver...
Watson is more of an inside threat and does have a quick first step on drives. I actually think it might be worth a shot trying Loyer on Gregg instead of Watson. I agree that both Heide and Gillis could see increased minutes and possibly even Colvin. I think this is a coaching chess match, at least on paper and we’ll see how it plays out on the court. If we’re scoring effectively I think it’s hard for them to stay with us the entire game

My fear is we will get old high knees and I am fairly certain he was officiating our losses/games we struggled in.

As Painter yelled at him once (paraphrasing): "It's all about you". He's a worse version of TV teddy.
Tim Anderson isn’t that bad but he can make some bad calls but he is used to seeing and calling Edey which can be beneficial. I think it depends who he is paired with that makes a difference on how the game goes.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Yes. I saw they released the names of refs who are in for the next 2 rounds and Courtney Green is on the list. Lot of moans and groans of course from the Purdue faithful. Part of me thinks the NCAA is tired of Hurley running his mouth and sends Courtney out there to cool him off….
Yeah saw that list and saw green and just am hoping he’s nowhere near Detroit

The more I research Gonzaga, the more I think that they have become one of the best offensive teams in the country. Few has figured out how to play with three bigs and use that to his advantage on offense which creates mismatches against everyone and not just Purdue, but by bringing Heide off the bench, Purdue can match up a lot better than most. Also, if Edey can neutralize Ike inside, that will go a long ways.

On D, I think that Gonzaga’s big lineup creates its own matchup challenges which Few is a good enough coach to hide. This is where it becomes a chess game. I like the matchup from Purdue’s perspective on this side of the court. Purdue has come a long ways since the first game in terms of surrounding Edey with shooting and I expect Purdue to make Gonzaga to pay as they try to use their size to bring help on Edey. It should be interesting to see if Painter tries to match their size more with TKR or spread them out more with Gillis.

Reactions: BBG and ChoiceBeef
Miracle?
TOs, missed foul shots, and Edey or Smith sitting on the bench for fouls, cold 3 shooting, or G shooting like NE..... a combo of a couple of those those and that's your miracle.

Some call a miracle, getting outplayed....NE, Rutgers. OSU, Wisconsin. Apparently miracles have already happened. Hope there isn't a 5th.

Watson is more of an inside threat and does have a quick first step on drives. I actually think it might be worth a shot trying Loyer on Gregg instead of Watson. I agree that both Heide and Gillis could see increased minutes and possibly even Colvin. I think this is a coaching chess match, at least on paper and we’ll see how it plays out on the court. If we’re scoring effectively I think it’s hard for them to stay with us the entire game
I don't know if anybody has already noted this, but Gillis and a few others played very sloppy against round 1 with Gonzaga. The rotation we have now could really pose another HUGE threat against Gonzaga. I have really liked Painters rotation these last few games.

I don't know if anybody has already noted this, but Gillis and a few others played very sloppy against round 1 with Gonzaga. The rotation we have now could really pose another HUGE threat against Gonzaga. I have really liked Painters rotation these last few games.
Great point. There was a lot of sloppy play the first time around that will no doubt be cleaned up next time around.

I fully expect the game to be tight to start, the Zags may even get a lead again.. but by the first 5 minutes of the second half we sort it out, get a lead and never let it go.

Great point. There was a lot of sloppy play the first time around that will no doubt be cleaned up next time around.

I fully expect the game to be tight to start, the Zags may even get a lead again.. but by the first 5 minutes of the second half we sort it out, get a lead and never let it go.
Also, Iv'e mentioned it before, but Purdue just seems to hold back first half to see where we are with fouls, then second half , releases so much more energy. Has anyone else noticed this? I would NOT want another team getting an early big lead, but I always feel pretty good being within 5-6 at the half.

Lots of ways to lose a game, as per last Wisky game, but I expect this team to be ready and play better with less silly TOs than last time with an even more experienced Smith leading the offensive charge. As long as G is not on fire from 3 I think we are good.

This team feels like they are dialed in and on a mission. Teams of the past felt like we’d give up leads and play with our food a bit. Hoping we keep that focus and energy.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I thought Gregg was 6'10"? If Watson is inside then we have Trey on him. Fletcher giving up 6" and weight to Gregg is a concern, if he has any play inside. Fletcher needs someone his size and preferably someone that doesn't drive. All this is why I see Cam being very valuable on D, but then you need Lance or Fletch to get some behind the arc because I don't see Cam contributing a lot on offense. Mason could be physical enough that he could take Watson and still give an outside threat. Any screen by Watson or Gregg with a player that Lance or Braden has is an issue unless Watson's defender goes under because you don't want Hickman or Nembraud (sp?) defenders giving up more size for Watson or Gregg to drive.

I just hope Purdue is quick on D and gets some run outs...I wish I knew more about Gonzaga to not guess as much, but actually know their players better better

I thought Gregg was 6'10"? If Watson is inside then we have Trey on him. Fletcher giving up 6" and weight to Gregg is a concern, if he has any play inside. Fletcher needs someone his size and preferably someone that doesn't drive. All this is why I see Cam being very valuable on D, but then you need Lance or Fletch to get some behind the arc because I don't see Cam contributing a lot on offense. Mason could be physical enough that he could take Watson and still give an outside threat. Any screen by Watson or Gregg with a player that Lance or Braden has is an issue unless Watson's defender goes under because you don't want Hickman or Nembraud (sp?) defenders giving up more size for Watson or Gregg to drive.

I just hope Purdue is quick on D and gets some run outs...I wish I knew more about Gonzaga to not guess as much, but actually know their players better better
You’re correct in that Gregg is 6’10 and probably stronger than Loyer. I wonder if Zach can play somewhat of a floating zone to help out with other post ups…either way it’s going to be a great chess match to watch.

Welcome back, BBG.

Will we see any recipes? :D

But yes......Welcome, back.....old friend.

welcome-back.gif

• Love
Reactions: BoilerAndy and BBG
Gonzaga had its way against Kansas’s drop coverage and the Zags’ analysts seem to feel like they will really try to test Edey with Nembhard and Eke surrounded by shooters. There is also the real possibility that they try to isolate Gregg against Loyer in the post, but this is where I think it helps that Ike isn’t a shooter and Edey should be able to help.

There is also the possibility that they try to go with five shooters either by choice or because of Ike foul trouble and try to force Edey to guard the perimeter. It won’t be the first time that Edey will have had to do so, with Nebraska being the school who did so with the most success. That said, I think they lose a lot on the defensive side with Ike out and I have a hard time thinking that’s Few’s preference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT