ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga

Aug 20, 2010
There is going to be a lot of talk about how much better Gonzaga are now than they were when we beat them by 10. This, of course, would be correct. However, Since that game Purdue has come a LONG way. They have 2 guys I'm seriously worried could go off from 3. Anton Watson and Nolan Hickman. Both of them are over 40% from the 3pt line with Hickman being the better of the 2 at closer to 43%. We are really going to need to stay focused on those 2 as well as Ben Gregg who's 38%... Ike will be the match up against Edy and he is a 33% 3 points shooter as well so also something to look at. Watson is 6'8 so it will be interesting how we guard him. Gregg is also 6'10 and they both start... This team is pretty tall and long but not deep. If Edy can get a couple fouls early on Ike it would be a major plus. Also would be a very positive sign if TKR can get going early like the UT ST game. Will be a tense game that I think will be close. Purdue play loose and confident like this last one we should be moving on... Also we need to be very aware of how long these guys are. Interior passing and passing in general need to be on point or we could commit too many TO's...

Once again, the foul situation will be key. If they can play their core 7 without foul issues, they will score on us. Their offense is really good and we will struggle to contain them if they can play Ike, Gregg and Watson together for long stretches. They do a ton of roll and replace to get guys open looks and our guys will need to be locked in if their starting five is able to get into a rhythm. Doesn't mean we can't beat them but we may have to match them offensively.

If we get them in foul trouble, I'm just not sure they have enough to hang with us if our offense is humming.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
My wife doesn’t believe me when I tell her that this is going to be a tough game. I lost all credibility building up Utah St.
So has much of the media building that team up as a potential upset alert, then to lose by a million. AFA Gonzaga goes, they recently lost to St.Mary’s in their soft conference tournament. We might play sub-par and they might beat us because of that, but I’m not buying they are now some mighty juggernaut. Like we all are seeing and saying, Purdue has improved since the last time we played the Zags as well.

My wife doesn’t believe me when I tell her that this is going to be a tough game. I lost all credibility building up Utah St.

As long as G doesn't win by some guy getting hot and hitting some wild banked 3, as per Kstate, I am good.

My wife though much prefers these blowout games. Wants 4 more of them. She goes nuts watching the games, as she cannot take the fouling underneath when the refs aren't calling the fouls.

There is going to be a lot of talk about how much better Gonzaga are now than they were when we beat them by 10. This, of course, would be correct. However, Since that game Purdue has come a LONG way. They have 2 guys I'm seriously worried could go off from 3. Anton Watson and Nolan Hickman. Both of them are over 40% from the 3pt line with Hickman being the better of the 2 at closer to 43%. We are really going to need to stay focused on those 2 as well as Ben Gregg who's 38%... Ike will be the match up against Edy and he is a 33% 3 points shooter as well so also something to look at. Watson is 6'8 so it will be interesting how we guard him. Gregg is also 6'10 and they both start... This team is pretty tall and long but not deep. If Edy can get a couple fouls early on Ike it would be a major plus. Also would be a very positive sign if TKR can get going early like the UT ST game. Will be a tense game that I think will be close. Purdue play loose and confident like this last one we should be moving on... Also we need to be very aware of how long these guys are. Interior passing and passing in general need to be on point or we could commit too many TO's...

Gregg doesn’t take too many, his most are 7 but other than that it’s around 3 to 4 a game. Ike has a horrible 3 pt shot, even tho he banged two against us, I would assume paint will let edey sit back and let Ike shoot all day from 3 if that’s what he wants to do.

I think the guys are aware how long they are as they played earlier this year. I wonder if few will mix up looks on edey…doubling from different areas of the floor etc. if so, I hope Zach can read it and we can take advantage with our shooters.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
On the re-watch I was amazed how close the first 13 minutes of the UState game was....1 pt game

Then rebounding, D and increased pace put them away regardless of who was out there.

This D wasn't there early on in the game.....and will be needed next weekend if we are to advance.

Edey has difficulty guarding out high. Got his first foul doing that & then out of position & slow getting back creating the foul.

I am sure Zags took note of that, and will use RnR to try to get ZE on the bench early. Hope CMP noted that too, & has an answer by keeping him on the interior as much as possible.

I’ll have to go back and look at the stat line from our first game but Fletch was a no show and Morton + Furst had 20+ minutes. Those won’t be happening.

Reactions: rjmpu82 and Roeder
I’ll have to go back and look at the stat line from our first game but Fletch was a no show and Morton + Furst had 20+ minutes. Those won’t be happening.
That will be a big time improvement right there.

Although, @ least Furst played ok in that game as my bad memory serves me. Think he had a bucket & a few Rs?

Feels like this is definitely a game where we simply do what we do. Post up Edey and dare them to either guard him one on one, in which case they foul out pretty quick with only 7 in their rotation, or they double him in which case there's going to be openings just like this last game.

The only real concern is Edey's on defense and him picking up 2 quick fouls. If that happens, gonna increase the degree of difficulty by a bit.

I'm glad we got to see that 4/5 screen action against USU. Painter himself said they hadn't seen that before and it got us confused for awhile, and we are probably a little fortunate Edey didn't get two early fouls out of that.

So I'm going to guess the team will scheme and practice that. Really didn't like seeing Edey switch that to the outside guy. Would have rather he simply stayed with whomever went low and TKR fights through to the high guy. Maybe you give up a three or two but you don't risk Edey and a cheap foul on the perimeter or drawing him away and opening up the middle to penetration elsewhere.

At any rate, thanks USU for the inexpensive lesson.

Starters were 1/12 from three and Loyer was 0/6.

Edey had his normal great game, Jones and Smith each had 13. Colvin also hit 2 threes.

To be fair, their starters were even worse from three. And both their starting bigs had 4 fouls.

I don't expect either team to replicate that poor of a shooting effort from three, but I kinda do expect their two starting bigs to be in foul trouble.

So the good news is we didn't really bring our A game last time. It's not like we blew up from 3. They even got more offensive rebounds, which I don't expect again.

So I think we are capable of playing significantly better than we did that game.
Doesn't mean Gonzaga can't win, they can for sure, but I like our chances unless something crazy happens.

The only real concern is Edey's on defense and him picking up 2 quick fouls. If that happens, gonna increase the degree of difficulty by a bit.

I'm glad we got to see that 4/5 screen action against USU. Painter himself said they hadn't seen that before and it got us confused for awhile, and we are probably a little fortunate Edey didn't get two early fouls out of that.

So I'm going to guess the team will scheme and practice that. Really didn't like seeing Edey switch that to the outside guy. Would have rather he simply stayed with whomever went low and TKR fights through to the high guy. Maybe you give up a three or two but you don't risk Edey and a cheap foul on the perimeter or drawing him away and opening up the middle to penetration elsewhere.

At any rate, thanks USU for the inexpensive lesson.

Yep agree.....Edey out high or in screen action is a potential recipe for bench time. I really think ZE on bench is the only way Zags win unless some dude goes crazy from 3.

Assuming our TOs are under 12 and reasonable FT shooting. Above that seems to be the formula for losses

But back to USU, once they got the D figured out after the 13 minute mark of H1, where it was a 1 pt game, the route was on.

Last edited:
Here is the game. I have NOT seen Gonzaga play since Purdue. I know historically their schedule inflated some numbers. Being towards the end of the season I would expect Gonzaga to knock down some shots they missed previously. In this game you didn't see the drop we have seen for some time. Zach went out a few steps, but did sag off enough he thought he could contain the dribble. IMO Purdue is substantially better now than then or at least in that game assuming a typical game for Purdue. Myles hit two shots in that game and so they know he is capable and Cam although I'm not sure he scored got some minutes early. Ethan and Caleb got minutes and this was early for Trey to adjust to playing with Zach and so I think he is generally better. Mason for whatever reason had "fumblitis" in this game too. Obviously, Purdue has to contend the 3 pt shot and they must deal with not only Zach but Trey inside...as well as Purdue's 3 ball. There were times Purdue looked like the bad news bears. I think we were so happy we didn't see all the mistakes in the game. I wonder if their very quick PG is a shooter from the perimeter. I would love for Purdue to cover the perimeter and Zach stay in the lane. Hickman is very smooth.

Reactions: mediaexpert
IMO we win if we do these 4 things: play hard, rebound, limit turnovers and hit threes at our average. I’m not worried about Gonzaga.
You have to play smart inside all of that such as defense and not all turnovers are the same, but compiled with your thoughts should lead to winning...if all players are playing as capable

I’m having hard time remembering the game. I remember we only won by 10 but it felt like an easier win. Like we didn’t pull away, but didn’t really get threatened either. I know we were down at half, but took over shortly after the break

I seem to recall our offense being stagnant at times, and even though I like Morton, he slows down the offense. Having in Heide or Colvin in instead makes us different too.

Should be an interesting game. If we play like Sunday we win easy. If we play like Wisconsin, it’s close. Hopefully it’s a fun game to watch

I’m having hard time remembering the game. I remember we only won by 10 but it felt like an easier win. Like we didn’t pull away, but didn’t really get threatened either. I know we were down at half, but took over shortly after the break

I seem to recall our offense being stagnant at times, and even though I like Morton, he slows down the offense. Having in Heide or Colvin in instead makes us different too.

Should be an interesting game. If we play like Sunday we win easy. If we play like Wisconsin, it’s close. Hopefully it’s a fun game to watch
Just rewatched most of it. My take was way off. This was an ugly game, and neither teams hit shots and was close pretty much until the end. Gonna be a war the whole game lol

I don't think our defense has been good at all this year, except for the last 30 minutes we've played. I thought our coverage of USU was pretty special - but eventually they just kind of "gave up" and it became easy. Containment, knowing your defensive assignment and vision will make or break this game, imho. Hopefully the Kansas tape will give us a really good idea of what to prepare for. Still, I expect us to struggle defensively and hopefully adapt - and maybe they will miss some shots. They shot lights out against Kansas. But Kansas was totally lost on defense.

I don't think our defense has been good at all this year, except for the last 30 minutes we've played. I thought our coverage of USU was pretty special - but eventually they just kind of "gave up" and it became easy. Containment, knowing your defensive assignment and vision will make or break this game, imho. Hopefully the Kansas tape will give us a really good idea of what to prepare for. Still, I expect us to struggle defensively and hopefully adapt - and maybe they will miss some shots. They shot lights out against Kansas. But Kansas was totally lost on defense.

We have had good defensive games. Not consistent, yes. But @ Illinois was good for one example. Shut them down, save Domass, in H2.

Didn’t realize we trailed at halftime to them in Maui. 15 minute mark was when we took the leads and never looked back.

I have a feeling this is a Mason game. Something about him finding his confidence last game and something about how their defense will play against Zach says there is a chance he gets looks.

Agree with most others that everyone needs to do their jobs and we will take care of business.

Everything is relative and Purdue’s D does what it is designed to do which is to force low percentage shots without fouling or giving up second chance points. It doesn’t force a lot of turnovers and it pretty much lets the offense have certain shots, but it is all about containing points per possession over the course of a game.

Always thought TKR was our key. He’s rarely productive offensively. If he can put the ball though the hoop, it’s a major bonus for us.
He has been feasting in the tourney. Painter and crew have these guys dialed in and are going to find more ways to let him score.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Gregg has been battling ankle issues on both feet all year long……

Always thought TKR was our key. He’s rarely productive offensively. If he can put the ball though the hoop, it’s a major bonus for us.
I think he shot maybe three 3pt shots. That could be 3 extra possessions since he rarely shoots those. If Purdue defends the arc I think Purdue can beat them up inside. If not Purdue plays four out

Just rewatched the Maui game. We did not play well in the grand scheme of things compared to many games this season. Didn’t shoot particularly well, Edey missed quite a few shots that he often makes. Hit his first two then went 1 for his next 7… Gillis had trouble holding onto the ball, and we had 13 TO. Shot 23 % but they shot wotse from beyond the arc. Smith sat out a few times and Colvin and Heide actually played pretty well. Furst was good on the boards.
We can definitely play much much better than we did in that game!

Rewatching and we are a fairly different team now:

Furst and Morton played significant minutes.
Gillis had three inexplicable turnovers from just fumbling the ball.
Absolutely horrid three point shooting.

Just thinking on the chatter that Gonzaga is a totally different team now, but the team that showed up Sunday is significantly better than the one that played Gonzaga at least in Maui.

Just rewatched the Maui game. We did not play well in the grand scheme of things compared to many games this season. Didn’t shoot particularly well, Edey missed quite a few shots that he often makes. Hit his first two then went 1 for his next 7… Gillis had trouble holding onto the ball, and we had 13 TO. Shot 23 % but they shot wotse from beyond the arc. Smith sat out a few times and Colvin and Heide actually played pretty well. Furst was good on the boards.
We can definitely play much much better than we did in that game!
The 2nd game will be heavily influenced by the Colvin/Heide effect. G has no depth.

The 2nd game will be heavily influenced by the Colvin/Heide effect. G has no depth.

Colvin & Heide actually played decent in Game 1 with Zags. They are better defenders now is the only difference.

Unless someone goes Carsen Edwards on, us the only thing that stops us is ...
1. TOs
2. Missed FTs
3. Or Z or Smith on bench for lengthy stays.

The last item hasn't happened much this year. The first two unfortunately we are familiar with.

Colvin & Heide actually played decent in Game 1 with Zags. They are better defenders now is the only difference.

Unless someone goes Carsen Edwards on, us the only thing that stops us is ...
1. TOs
2. Missed FTs
3. Or Z or Smith on bench for lengthy stays.

The last item hasn't happened much this year. The first two unfortunately we are familiar with.
Spot on. I do think Colvin or Heide could go off in the game due to their improved confidence and unlimited ceiling, IMO. Our bench depth will be crucial against Gonzaga.

Reactions: Schnelk
They inflate their stats against a mostly talentless conference. St. Mary spanked them. They need a miracle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT