ADVERTISEMENT

Give it a rest

FLAG HUNTER

Junior
Oct 2, 2014
A few early comments about the Offensive line, and alot of people jumped on the bandwagon, saying the O Line has them worried, etc etc. How do you know how good the line will be until they play? Why not worry about the defense, it wasn't good most games last year. Maybe a very few do know, but alot are going by others comments . Ok I feel better now, carry on!!

Reactions: Dakota Girl
My personal opinion only.....I think the line will be fine. I think the coaches are down playing it a little bit. No doubt we are thin there and injuries could really hurt us at that position. The play calling in the Nevada game will be quick release passing in the first couple of QTRS to get everyone's feet wet. I am just as curious to see where we are at Defense as compared to last year. Need to rely heavily on these guys until the offense clicks.....

A few early comments about the Offensive line, and alot of people jumped on the bandwagon, saying the O Line has them worried, etc etc. How do you know how good the line will be until they play? Why not worry about the defense, it wasn't good most games last year. Maybe a very few do know, but alot are going by others comments . Ok I feel better now, carry on!!
Our offensive line has been one if not the weakest spot on the team for a while now. So being worried about it above everything else is very justified. Hard to score points if the QB doesn't have time to throw or they can't make a hole for a runner.

But that is what forums are for anyway right? Speculation and what not?

Reactions: phila
I predict that there will be an offensive line. I trust Brohm and the other coaches to have schemes to compensate for any deficiencies. After all, they've now had two years to work on this.

Reactions: spradecki
Our offensive line has been one if not the weakest spot on the team for a while now. So being worried about it above everything else is very justified. Hard to score points if the QB doesn't have time to throw or they can't make a hole for a runner.

But that is what forums are for anyway right? Speculation and what not?

I get the worry, but it seems so overblown this year when it wasn't good the last how many years? Maybe because there were so many other problems before the O-Line was just one of them; instead of a pretty decent situation every where else (except possibly RB now) with O-Line dragging behind.

I get the worry, but it seems so overblown this year when it wasn't good the last how many years? Maybe because there were so many other problems before the O-Line was just one of them; instead of a pretty decent situation every where else (except possibly RB now) with O-Line dragging behind.
For me it's a primary worry because it has been such a problem for a while now. Once we get a game in or two if it performs well, then the worry will go somewhere else.
Just how these things work.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
It's a multi-faceted worry. One, our RB experience and depth is not optimal. We can't rely on the run game as much to balance the offense and keep the opposing pass rush at bay. Two, Sindelar is quite less mobile than Blough, so he won't be able to mask the OL by scrambling and moving the pocket. Three (notably), three of our starters on the OL have near zero game experience.

1. posters voice their trust in Brohm.
2. Brohm issues criticism of both line and King's lack of blocking skills. As a coach, you are never critical publically. But from his comments and team's practices, he can't be happy.
3. Sindelar not very mobile, needs time to make passes. Brohm also a little critical of Sindelar saying he has to eliminate mistakes. Sindelar not overly impressive in intrasquad game.
4. posters say Oline will be fine .
5. line has a long history of being mediocre at best.
6. line brings back one starter, and 2 players with injury history.
7. Saying the back-ups are at the same level as the starters isn't the greatest compliment in the world, as history has dictated, a lot of times our oline starters end up being benched for being ineffective..
8. so rather than review history, or Brohm's take, we MUST believe our learned posters who seem to contradict both Brohm and history.

Pardon me, if I'm not overly optimistic. Sure it will probably be good enough for Purdue to beat most opponents. but it's never going to dominate or roll over anybody like an OSU or UW line. What worries me most is I doubt our offense will be able to consistantly generate those long 5-7 minute game ending drives and we will be dependent on our young defense to make the game winning stops. .

Brohm is a straight shooter, not a b*llsh*tter.

as for brohm being a straight shooter verses a bull shooter, I have to believe the opposite is true. I have to believe he might not BS a lot, but he also is not transparent or very forthcoming. I have to believe he knew about Moore committing long before it was announced. he also said very little about Sindelar's injury and benching last year. He said nothing about Cronk. He wasn't totally forthcoming about the Louisville offer either. I have to believe some type of contact was made. he might not BS, but he also very seldom tips his hand.

Last edited:
as for brohm being a straight shooter verses a bull shooter, I have to believe the opposite is true. I have to believe he might not BS a lot, but he also is not transparent or very forthcoming. I have to believe he knew about Moore committing long before it was announced. he also said very little about Sindelar's injury and benching last year. He said nothing about Cronk. I have to believe some type of contact was made. he might not BS, but he also very seldom tips his hand.

Coaches can't comment on verbal commits until they are signed. No BS involved. I don't know if he knew or not but he can't talk about it one way or the other.

What should he have said about benching Sindelar besides what he did say, about needing to cut down on mistakes?

Who cares about Cronk? I'm sure there's a rule somewhere about not talking about other team's players.

There's a big difference between BS and not tipping ones hand.

Remember never as bad as it seems nor as good as it seems. Brohm not getting a grad transfer from the Xfr portal says he has confidence in the O-Line.
IMHO, I believe we’ll be fine as long as o-line doesn’t get decimated with injuries throughout the season.
7-5 season +/- 1.

This board is rightfully worried. At 9'4", 225 a stiff breeze could cause a lot of issues for Sindelar. OL gonna have to stop the DL AND mother nature.

Reactions: ejs1111
most recent comments from Brohm: " Thinks the offensive line will be solid and doesn't feel like there is much separation in personnel."
Just listened to Brohm's Monday Press Conference.
Starting @ the 8:45 mark, I don't think you'll find him mentioning how the OL " WILL be solid ". Certainly not in connection to the Nevada game.
Did remark about how close MANY of the O-linemen are, right now, in performance.

Remember never as bad as it seems nor as good as it seems. Brohm not getting a grad transfer from the Xfr portal says he has confidence in the O-Line.
IMHO, I believe we’ll be fine as long as o-line doesn’t get decimated with injuries throughout the season.
7-5 season +/- 1.
Brohm not " getting " an OL transfer, or not TRYING to get a transfer ??

Big difference. Try #2 for your answer.

Just listened to Brohm's Monday Press Conference.
Starting @ the 8:45 mark, I don't think you'll find him mentioning how the OL " WILL be solid ". Certainly not in connection to the Nevada game.
Did remark about how close MANY of the O-linemen are, right now, in performance.

Talk to Gold & Black. That was one of their bullet points from his comments. It was on the main page.

Goodness.

7-5 season +/- 1.

7-5 season +/- 2 seems more likely to me.

This board is rightfully worried. At 9'4", 225 a stiff breeze could cause a lot of issues for Sindelar. OL gonna have to stop the DL AND mother nature.

I saw what you did there and wanted to personally let you know that I appreciated it.

Reactions: purduepat1969
This thread sucks. Anybody who read it is now dumber for their efforts. Shame on basically the whole thread.

Reactions: MONROvÆ
This thread sucks. Anybody who read it is now dumber for their efforts. Shame on basically the whole thread.
Well I started the thread, basically because some people see what others post and take it as the gospel without knowing for sure or take what someone says the wrong way, or read way too much into it. If you think it was a dumb thread that's your opinion and it's all good. No way I am gonna please everyone on here with my comments or threads

Last edited:

Hey I’m at Burning Man since Sunday. Reception been iffy. Any BM’s at Burning Man? Buy any of my BM’s a beer.....

U serious Clark?

I'm serious in the fact I don't totally trust the words that come out of Brohm's mouth - especially to the media and public. He's not very forthcoming about a lot of things. he even lied about how man y trick plays he planned to use last year. When he saw he didn't need them, he didn't use them as much. But by using them a couple of times, they became part of the mystery.

I'm serious in the fact I don't totally trust the words that come out of Brohm's mouth - especially to the media and public. He's not very forthcoming about a lot of things. he even lied about how man y trick plays he planned to use last year. When he saw he didn't need them, he didn't use them as much. But by using them a couple of times, they became part of the mystery.

So you don't trust Brohm's words to "the media and the public"?? Where the hell else have you heard or seen those words? Did he call you personally and "lie" to you? He's one of the more direct speaking coaches, actually. I think the fact that he doesn't use a lot of "coach speak" actually confuses someone like you. Or you just want to bitch(could be both).

Reactions: SDBoiler1
Wow.

Reactions: Purdue85
Brohm not " getting " an OL transfer, or not TRYING to get a transfer ??

Big difference. Try #2 for your answer.

If you follow recruiting, or have KFC inside sources, you would find Brohm tried REAL hard to get an OL transfer, and is still trying REAL hard to recruit another offensive linemen. And he tried REAL hard last year to recruit some quality linemen . unfortunately, he was not able to sign his top targets at offensive line. To me, the fact Brohm tried real hard to add experience to the line tells me he's not that confident in the talent/ability of his current linemen. he also has not heaped a lot of praise on his linemen. He talked about two of them being decent on practice. and he said his back-ups are about as good as his starters. You can interpret his words/actions however you like.

So you don't trust Brohm's words to "the media and the public"?? Where the hell else have you heard or seen those words? Did he call you personally and "lie" to you? He's one of the more direct speaking coaches, actually. I think the fact that he doesn't use a lot of "coach speak" actually confuses someone like you. Or you just want to bitch(could be both).

I can see through coach speak ! I look for what is not being said. Often times history has proven the stupid rumors that nobody believed were actually true, and there are a lot of things that happen behind the scenes that nobody talks about that did actually happen.

go back a few months. What did brohm say about Louisville? What did he say the year before about Tennessee ? What did he say about Moore ? Very little if nothing. He didn't say anything about contacting Tennessee or Kentucky before they were leaked by other sources. he didn't say anything about Cronk either. that story was also leaked by somebody else. He may be a straight shooter to you, but he doesn't say much or reveal much about anything. For that matter, neither does Bellicheck!!

I'm not complaining or bitching. I'm just pointing out the obvious. I feel bad for those who believe everything they hear and read. Typically people only reveal what they want you to know, and not how they really feel. it's called the misdirection.

Yes... I have legit concerns about OL and I don't think I am needlessly worried.
1. A RS starter
2. A untested injury prone center. Maybe been in a total 5 mopup plays in his career
3. A starting guard who has been on defense his entire career up till now
4. (2) experienced players that seem to be healthy for about 5 games a year
5 An OL coach who claims to be worried about a number of guys who don't practice every day

I can see through coach speak ! I look for what is not being said. Often times history has proven the stupid rumors that nobody believed were actually true, and there are a lot of things that happen behind the scenes that nobody talks about that did actually happen.

go back a few months. What did brohm say about Louisville? What did he say the year before about Tennessee ? What did he say about Moore ? Very little if nothing. He didn't say anything about contacting Tennessee or Kentucky before they were leaked by other sources. he didn't say anything about Cronk either. that story was also leaked by somebody else. He may be a straight shooter to you, but he doesn't say much or reveal much about anything. For that matter, neither does Bellicheck!!

I'm not complaining or bitching. I'm just pointing out the obvious. I feel bad for those who believe everything they hear and read. Typically people only reveal what they want you to know, and not how they really feel. it's called the misdirection.

"I look for what is not being said" - while wearing a tinfoil hat I'd bet. He DIDN'T contact Tennessee or Louisville - Tennessee reached out to him through an intermediary and Louisville did so directly. Kentucky?????
Brohm can't discuss a recruit before they sign, including Moore. He spoke about him the day he signed, didn't he?
Despite your complaints the man hasn't lied about anything.

You actually called Brohm a liar? Once again, wolegib being wolegib......

If you follow recruiting, or have KFC inside sources, you would find Brohm tried REAL hard to get an OL transfer, and is still trying REAL hard to recruit another offensive linemen. And he tried REAL hard last year to recruit some quality linemen . unfortunately, he was not able to sign his top targets at offensive line. To me, the fact Brohm tried real hard to add experience to the line tells me he's not that confident in the talent/ability of his current linemen. he also has not heaped a lot of praise on his linemen. He talked about two of them being decent on practice. and he said his back-ups are about as good as his starters. You can interpret his words/actions however you like.

But he could have been lying about all that....

That's a personal attack.

Not good, bigs. Not good at all.

Reactions: Nukeboiler

It’s probably not gonna be very good.

That's a personal attack.

Not good, bigs. Not good at all.
hey 85 - I believe I already said I don't care anymore . and for those who've attacked me through the years, I'm coming right at them this year !

You can believe brohm all you want. You should read his preview of the Nevada game on 24/7. he addresses each area. Does he praise his offensive line ? if you believe he does, there is nothing I can say that will change your mind. He also talks about Sindelar. he didn't sound very positive to me.

And I didn't say he contacted either Louisville or Tennessee. I said brohm is not very forthcoming. and he didn't talk about either opening or what was said between him and their AD. Was there an interest? did the two talk? he's not going to reveal what went on behind the scenes.

Like many things, if your mind is already made up, there is nothing I can say that will change it. the BIG 10 power ratings that just came out placed Purdue as the 5th best team in the West above lofty Illinois and Minnesota. I didn't write the article. I doubt many on this forum will agree with the prediction/assessment. But the author is paid to evaluate teams and make predictions. if you're an Iowa or Michigan fan, you would say he is spot on.

if Purdue finishes 6-6 this year, will you still say that's a good year and Brohm is still a genius? or will you start to question his coaching and his style ? how long will you accept a 6-6 season?

Reactions: Purdue85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT