ADVERTISEMENT

game 3

I've stayed out of this because it isn't particularly interesting to me for the most part, but will offer a couple of thoughts. 1. you need enough players to go five on five in practice...10 good players min. Having the right 11 or 12 is okay in case someone gets hurt for practice. I don't see Purdue needing that many to play in games, but I do to maintain quality practices. 2) players seem a little more self centered in general than years ago...PJ being an exception. That said a couple of disgruntled players not getting the playing time may hurt the team chemistry. I think it is really hard to play more than 8 the majority of the time..perhaps a stretch to nine, but the ninth player many times is a gap away in the minutes from 8. What happens to the players that don't get the minutes? How do they practice? What attitude takes place outside and away from the coaches? How does that affect the friends that maybe think they should have more time than another player? Bottom line IMO...practice dictates more players than the game, but any extra players needed above practice, need to be players that are really happy just to be on the team.

In reference to your #1, I am sure there is at least one kid at the Co-Rec they could find that would be a suitable practice player only. Hell, when I was at Purdue...had they asked me that, I would jump at the chance to do so...along with all the free stuff I would have gotten. I played on the women's practice squad for 2 years and it was an amazing time.

In reference to your #1, I am sure there is at least one kid at the Co-Rec they could find that would be a suitable practice player only. Hell, when I was at Purdue...had they asked me that, I would jump at the chance to do so...along with all the free stuff I would have gotten. I played on the women's practice squad for 2 years and it was an amazing time.

Cool, was that with Coach Versyp, or Coach Curry, or before that?

Purdue also has a relatively new club team and I know they've scrimmaged at least once against the men's squad (minus Biggie). I'm not sure how good they are, but I plan on attending at least one of their games this year.

Reactions: nagemj02
Cool, was that with Coach Versyp, or Coach Curry, or before that?

Coach Curry. Both Kristie and her husband were amazing people. Very nice and made each of the guys feel like we were a valuable aspect of the program. Bought me dinner on more than one occasion.

Funny story about a practice about a week before their first game in 2002. It was a Saturday morning and we were scheduled to have a full scrimmage...but we went 3 periods of 12 minutes each. The major problem with this is that it was a Saturday morning and only 5 of the 8 guys showed up. We made it through the first period well but halfway through the second period we were totally gassed. I had the unfortunate job of guarding Shareka Wright that entire season and after she and her teammates had completely run us in to the ground, Kristie called a mercy TO for the guys and gave us 5 minutes and a trainer to let us catch our breath. It was comical at how exhausted we had become and we flopped on the floor. We had to cut the third period short or we may not have made it out of Mackey Arena without an ambulance.

Last edited:
after the quality 10 it is not as crucial. Walkons if the the rules haven't changed (since late 80's) don't get near the benefits as scholly players...beside the obvious. Can't eat with them...go some places etc... course that was a long time ago and things probably changed

Coach Curry. Both Kristie and her husband were amazing people. Very nice and made each of the guys feel like we were a valuable aspect of the program. Bought me dinner on more than one occasion.

Funny story about a practice about a week before their first game in 2002. It was a Saturday morning and we were scheduled to have a full scrimmage...but we went 3 periods of 12 minutes each. The major problem with this is that it was a Saturday morning and only 5 of the 8 guys showed up. We made it through the first period well but halfway through the second period we were totally gassed. I had the unfortunate job of guarding Shareka Wright that entire season and after she and her teammates had completely run us in to the ground, Kristie called a mercy TO for the guys and gave us 5 minutes and a trainer to let us catch our breath. It was comical at how exhausted we had become and we flopped on the floor. We had to cut the third period short or we may not have made it out of Mackey Arena without an ambulance.

Wasn't it normal for a trainer to be available for your group during practices?

Thanks for glossing over the main point, as you always do........but you also proved the point. Your google search pointed out that these players all went to blue blood schools with national championship history and aspirations. We aren't that. These guys aren't dying to come to our school. .....sorry to break the news to you. You still ignore all the variables involved in getting a transfer to committ. Keep deflecting.

UConn was never a blue-blood school until Jim Calhoun started having success there. Michigan State was never considered a blue-blood until Tom Izzo started having success there. Just like I'm not always right, you're not always right. Like many others, you seem to be stuck in a narrow box of thinking, where things can only work if they're done one certain way. Things can be done differently (i.e. deeper rotation) and still be successful.

He's only getting grief from one source. In the past I've read some of Nagem's posts because he had a good breakdown of team rosters prior to the games with some decent insight. Now it's become a broken record of not enough world class players and always needing more then at least replace Painter with some unknown worldbeating commodity. I think I've finally reached the point to pull the trigger although most threads will be hard to follow since 25% of all posts are his.

No one is holding you back from starting threads other than yourself. If you want to have an active message board with a variety of discussion, you have to post messages and start threads.

Last edited:

thanks for the story......

good thing she didn't take the attitude......"you %&*-n guys will run till you can't eat supper........

Reactions: Beeazlebub
UConn was never a blue-blood school until Jim Calhoun started having success there. Michigan State was never considered a blue-blood until Tom Izzo started having success there. Just like I'm not always right, you're not always right. Like many others, you seem to be stuck in a narrow box of thinking, where things can only work if they're done one certain way. Things can be done differently (i.e. deeper rotation) and still be successful.

You are such a putz. UConn and Calhoun had won three national championships when your guy transferred there and they owned the Big East. Kind of a blue blood. This whole line is irrelevant to the original point.

My "narrow box of thinking" is the reality of college basketball. You want to reinvent the wheel, get a coaching job and you can get all these great transfers that are a dime a dozen. Successful programs play 8 or 9 deep yet you seem to think you know a better way. The best argument for having a full roster is for practice, as has been mentioned earlier.........but not by you. You just keep digging holes for yourself when you act like you know more than the coach. You don't. You won't. If your way was better, coaches would already be doing it. See, they do it for a living, every day. They don't come to Walmart and tell you how to stock the shelves, do they?

Wasn't it normal for a trainer to be available for your group during practices?

Yes but it was unusual to have a trainer check on us if we weren't bleeding or on the ground for other reasons beyond being gassed. I needed a good stretch to keep my legs from cramping. I was in damn good shape...but there is a definite difference from in shape and in 'game shape.'

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT