ADVERTISEMENT

G. Miller done for the year

Sucks but at least it's a position where there's some depth. Hope he makes a full recovery and comes back better next year.

Overranked.
This is why I don't get excited about retreads in the transfer portal. Once your cards are on the table in the D1 arena, high school ratings don't mean squat.
Where is Joe Anderson in the depth chart? Haven't heard a plumb thing about him in the Hagen interviews. Brevard, reading between the lines, lacks the agility to be an every down player.
Sampson was a big bag of nothing.

The P5 transfers that are expected to contribute were significant contributors at their prior school. This is the trend.

This is why I don't get excited about retreads in the transfer portal. Once your cards are on the table in the D1 arena, high school ratings don't mean squat.
Where is Joe Anderson in the depth chart? Haven't heard a plumb thing about him in the Hagen interviews. Brevard, reading between the lines, lacks the agility to be an every down player.

The P5 transfers that are expected to contribute were significant contributors at their prior school. This is the trend.
Brevard I think will contribute. He wasn’t going to start over johnson.

Reactions: pboiler18

A bunch in here..

> bilodeau - his dad got him into a AA game I’ve heard. Thus the rating. When I saw him against UConn I wasn’t sure I couldn’t do better, and I suck.

> transfers are not all bad, but there is plenty of bad

A) Anderson - I guess he doesn’t have the burst for DE and is more of a future 3T guy. Sydnor and caraway are going to blow it up this year at DE anyway.

B) James - Lymon brain; when people see Lewis, downing and mockobee no one is Going to care

C) Brevard - it’s not really a rush the passer position .. apparently he makes Lawrence Johnson look small and isn’t slow for his massive size. Guess where that’s gonna help? Against Wisconsin, Illinois, Syracuse, Minnesota, iowa.. besides the same is true for Sullivan; strong player who isn’t quick for his size.

Also depth. When we get to the middle of our schedule and Johnson is light on his feet and fresh it’s gonna be a big plus.

A bunch in here..

> bilodeau - his dad got him into a AA game I’ve heard. Thus the rating. When I saw him against UConn I wasn’t sure I couldn’t do better, and I suck.

A) Anderson - I guess he doesn’t have the burst for DE and is more of a future 3T guy. Sydnor and caraway are going to blow it up this year at DE anyway.

B) James - Lymon brain; when people see Lewis, downing and mockobee no one is Going to care

C) Brevard - it’s not really a rush the passer position .. apparently he makes Lawrence Johnson look small and isn’t slow for his massive size. Guess where that’s gonna help? Against Wisconsin, Illinois, Syracuse, Minnesota, iowa.. besides the same is true for Sullivan; strong player who isn’t quick for his size.

Also depth. When we get to the middle of our schedule and Johnson is light on his feet and fresh it’s gonna be a big plus.
You really got into the weeds there, but I appreciate the detail. But does my overall point have a point? Are we getting much out of formerly high ranked castoffs? Or are better off with the transfers who have actually proved they are D1 caliber, even if they came from a program lacking prestige like IU. What is more important by the time you get to age 21, your high school ranking or what you have done in college?

Reactions: DAG10
You really got into the weeds there, but I appreciate the detail. But does my overall point have a point? Are we getting much out of formerly high ranked castoffs? Or are better off with the transfers who have actually proved they are D1 caliber, even if they came from a program lacking prestige like IU. What is more important by the time you get to age 21, your high school ranking or what you have done in college?
It’s clear that Anderson won’t live up to the ranking but he’s still young and will play some this year and a lot more next year. Same with Brevard. Can’t teach size.

At the end of the day, take players that can contribute any way you can get them. We’ve gone from having maybe 6-7 guys we can play on the DL just 2-3 years ago to having 10-11 I think can contribute meaningfully.

As BC said…helps with keeping the starters fresh in the meat of our schedule. Can’t hate that.

I like to know what to expect.. sorry

I’m not saying high school rankings mean much. I just mean that Just because a high ranking guy doesn’t work out somewhere, that doesn’t mean he can’t here. It all depends why.

but the very best g5 players will probably be better than a lot of those who transfer down. Like penn state got a kid out of wku who will probably be better than most of the receivers who transferred from p5. I almost said all but I forgot about Jordan Addison

Portal has been somewhat of a mixed bag, but I'd say pretty good overall for Purdue.

By and large Brohm has at the least built good depth with the transfers and a few of them have really emerged.

Brown, Jefferson, Thompson, all played a big part last year and will be asked to do even more so this year. D. Mitchell is another one although he was hurt most of last year. I like Lewis from Indiana as well.

Reactions: Boiler8285
I’m not saying high school rankings mean much. I just mean that Just because a high ranking guy doesn’t work out somewhere, that doesn’t mean he can’t here. It all depends why.

but the very best g5 players will probably be better than a lot of those who transfer down. Like penn state got a kid out of wku who will probably be better than most of the receivers who transferred from p5. I almost said all but I forgot about Jordan Addison
I believe in trends. I never said a retread couldn't possibly work out, only that the trend for the ones who end up at Purdue seems to be that they weren't all they were hyped to be out of high school. We aren't talking about the stud Oklahoma QB who transfers to USC.

Note I am not saying anything about Bilodeau here specifically, other than hypothetically if he would have transferred to, let's say a MAC school, they would probably have fans all excited about a former Big Ten player joining their team and then wondered a year later why he wasn't on the field. That would be the same retread trend.

I have likened recruiting to a game of black jack. When you are recruiting a player you only see the face up card. Once he is in your program you see the face down card also. Some guys are Ace up, King down (George Karlaftis). Some guys are Ace up, 6 down (Marvin Grant). Some guys are 4 up, Jack down, then you draw a 6 (Aidan).

They guys who have proven it at the college level, whether it was at a G5 school, IU, Iowa, even D2, those are the ones coming in and making an impact.

Last edited:
I believe in trends. I never said a retread couldn't possibly work out, only that the trend for the ones who end up at Purdue seems to be that they weren't all they were hyped to be out of high school. We aren't talking about the stud Oklahoma QB who transfers to USC.

Note I am not saying anything about Bilodeau here specifically, other than hypothetically if he would have transferred to, let's say a MAC school, they would probably have fans all excited about a former Big Ten player joining their team and then wondered a year later why he wasn't on the field. That would be the same retread trend.

I have likened recruiting to a game of black jack. When you are recruiting a player you only see the face up card. Once he is in your program you see the face down card also. Some guys are Ace up, King down (George Karlaftis). Some guys are Ace up, 6 down (Marvin Grant). Some guys are 4 up, Jack down, then you draw a 6 (Aidan).

They guys who have proven it at the college level, whether it was at a G5 school, IU, Iowa, even D2, those are the ones coming in and making an impact.
I think it’s going to be different now. Transferring wasn’t very common until recently. With the one time rule it’s going to be a thing a LOT of players do. It’s gonna be like “hey, I’m good, I’m putting in the work. I’m third string at Ohio state? I gotta go.”

remember when brohm hired Diaco? Lacking a network that provides a good coach is lacking a skill. Another skill is going to be determining if a kid is transferring because he’s Sampson James or Cole brevard

I think it’s going to be different now. Transferring wasn’t very common until recently. With the one time rule it’s going to be a thing a LOT of players do. It’s gonna be like “hey, I’m good, I’m putting in the work. I’m third string at Ohio state? I gotta go.”

remember when brohm hired Diaco? Lacking a network that provides a good coach is lacking a skill. Another skill is going to be determining if a kid is transferring because he’s Sampson James or Cole brevard
I think the fallacy with that line of thought is that the bigger programs are typically going to have more wherewithal and resources to identify whether that OSU third stringer is a bust or simply caught up in a stacked position. And if those programs offer, Purdue isn't getting him. We are taking fliers. Sampson James came with well known baggage.
The wide receiver position is the exception, as Purdue under Brohm has become a receiver magnet. That's why I have not been nearly as skeptical of the Tracy, Jones, and Sheffield pick-ups. They were clearly stuck in a numbers crunch and had prime transfer options.

I like the idea of using the transfer portal to supplement the roster. It is essential in today's game. But Purdue's primary targets to plug holes in the 2 deep should be late bloomers that rose up at the college level and are looking for a spot to showcase themselves against top notch competition for a year or two. Not on guys who peaked in high school.

Reactions: DAG10
I think the fallacy with that line of thought is that the bigger programs are typically going to have more wherewithal and resources to identify whether that OSU third stringer is a bust or simply caught up in a stacked position. And if those programs offer, Purdue isn't getting him. We are taking fliers. Sampson James came with well known baggage.
The wide receiver position is the exception, as Purdue under Brohm has become a receiver magnet. That's why I have not been nearly as skeptical of the Tracy, Jones, and Sheffield pick-ups. They were clearly stuck in a numbers crunch and had prime transfer options.

I like the idea of using the transfer portal to supplement the roster. It is essential in today's game. But Purdue's primary targets to plug holes in the 2 deep should be late bloomers that rose up at the college level and are looking for a spot to showcase themselves against top notch competition for a year or two. Not on guys who peaked in high school.
Depends. Brevard was from Indy. I don’t think we get him if he was from Baltimore. That said, Hagen continues here and we might.

that IU team wasn’t covid it was real. It was just Hagen and deboer

Reactions: pboiler18
A bunch in here..

You really should have your own podcast, and I apologize if you already do (maybe w/ nat100?). I think the DE's will surprise some people to your point on Sydnor and Caraway.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
ADVERTISEMENT