ADVERTISEMENT

Frantic Francis Okoro

lowly Illini fan here , hope we get this dude but he easily could choose Oregon or Purdue or somebody else. Who knows. Seems like a really bright young dude and excellent athlete .

As for Illinois being terrible, no argument there. We've missed the Dance for like 5 straight years (Thanks Groce! Thanks former AD Thomas!) But I think things are looking up for my Illini . Really dig what Coach Underwood is building in Champaign. We lost Mark Smith (who transferred to play for Zo at Misery) BUT we are adding a 5 star PG named Ayo (yes thats his first name lol). And the rest of the class has some potential too. The biggest loss is Black declaring to go pro . I don't think Finke will be that big of a loss tbh . He didn't fit the offense & wasn't that good of a defender.

We shall see how things play out!

lowly Illini fan here , hope we get this dude but he easily could choose Oregon or Purdue or somebody else. Who knows. Seems like a really bright young dude and excellent athlete .

As for Illinois being terrible, no argument there. We've missed the Dance for like 5 straight years (Thanks Groce! Thanks former AD Thomas!) But I think things are looking up for my Illini . Really dig what Coach Underwood is building in Champaign. We lost Mark Smith (who transferred to play for Zo at Misery) BUT we are adding a 5 star PG named Ayo (yes thats his first name lol). And the rest of the class has some potential too.

We shall see how things play out!

Underwood has succeeded everywhere, Illinois is my pick for surprise team in B1G next year with a top 5 in conference finish. I would rather Okoro not go to Oregon, Hopefully it's between Illinois and Purdue.

Well the guy who posted about his "sources" has blocked his twitter account. Wondering if he got a lot of negative push back on his "story" or what.

He is scheduled to take an official to Purdue on April 25 - unless he is coming to tell Painter no thanks, I think we are okay

This post made my heart happy.

Thx, Beef <3

Man talk about a sad story - wasn't his mom super pissed when he picked Kansas over Illinois? Pretty sure there was money exchanging hands on that decision hence why his career at Kansas ended in February....pretty sure he is playing in France now.

my son was the other guy in Cliff Alexander's highlight reel clips. yup, he's the guy who got dunked on by Cliff.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
Well the guy who posted about his "sources" has blocked his twitter account. Wondering if he got a lot of negative push back on his "story" or what.

He is scheduled to take an official to Purdue on April 25 - unless he is coming to tell Painter no thanks, I think we are okay

That twitter account has been "private" for years, surprised it got unlocked for the past few days. They may have something, but I wouldn't put too much stock into it. They are famous for "always being right" because they'll change their story many, many times. And that's why they block the account, so many critics that they want to ignore. If they're wrong here, those tweets will get deleted, too.

my son was the other guy in Cliff Alexander's highlight reel clips. yup, he's the guy who got dunked on by Cliff.
Still famous in his own right. Maybe your son will get some credits when they make a 30 for 30 on college basketball players who went pro only to watch their careers fizzle out.

Reactions: Purdue11
I'll bite (I know I shouldn't) but why?

How is this a horrible decision, if it is indeed the decision. And how does it have nothing to do with painter? Based on what? And again, why assume there is a"circle" or that his own opinion would be different then said "circle".

UI hadbetter talent coming in than Purdue without him. Could be as simple as that, wants to join a strong incoming class. Or just clicks with the coach much better. Or 100s of other reasons.

Why is it always something nefarious, its as if we get top 50 kids all the time and something must be a miss when we don't. This is the least surprising outcome.
You stumped me on nefarious. Had to look it up as my old brain has forgotten more than I know anymore. Lol!

You really can't understand why Underwood hasn't had a notable center after five seasons at low-major SFA, one season at Oklahoma State, and one season at Illinois? Isn't it pretty obvious what the reasons might be?
Yeah, his system benefits guards over big men. Not really that hard to understand. Maybe for you, the guy on the national board who talked up Illinois all last offseason while trashing Purdue and had these picks before the season started:

1. Michigan State
2. Minnesota
3. Maryland
4. Northwestern
5. Wisconsin
6. Illinois
7. Iowa
8. Penn State
9. Indiana
10. Michigan
11. Purdue
12. Ohio State
13. Rutgers
14. Nebraska

Yeah, his system benefits guards over big men. Not really that hard to understand. Maybe for you, the guy on the national board who talked up Illinois all last offseason while trashing Purdue and had these picks before the season started:

1. Michigan State
2. Minnesota
3. Maryland
4. Northwestern
5. Wisconsin
6. Illinois
7. Iowa
8. Penn State
9. Indiana
10. Michigan
11. Purdue
12. Ohio State
13. Rutgers
14. Nebraska
I made a homer prediction and was wrong, feed me to the lions for it. I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThreeTwaunMoore
Underwood puts on a sales pitch for sure (see Lamont Evans, his assistant in trouble with the FBI at Oklahoma St). I hope we can sway him back when he visits here on April 25.

Reactions: pboiler18
That's exactly my point. Perhaps take off the Illinois-colored glasses, and view your program, and the system Brad Underwood runs, impartially.
PF Leron Black led the team in scoring last season. So, I don't get your argument.

BTW, do you really believe you're totally objective in your views regarding Purdue athletics? Most fans are in varying degrees too optimistic or way too critical of his or team of choice.

Reactions: DannyGranger
Still famous in his own right. Maybe your son will get some credits when they make a 30 for 30 on college basketball players who went pro only to watch their careers fizzle out.

it was easy to tell in AAU ball that Alexander was a rather lazy player and his success was mostly due in part to playing against players in high school that were undersized and overmatched, and Alexander basically coasted, and was already saying .... show me the money.

it was easy to tell in AAU ball that Alexander was a rather lazy player and his success was mostly due in part to playing against players in high school that were undersized and overmatched, and Alexander basically coasted, and was already saying .... show me the money.

Alexander played in what is possibly the best high school basketball leage top to bottom...I just think his power style doesn't translate to the NBA this day and age..Also Alexander said himself that he left Kansas because he assumed he would not be eligible to play....Whether or not he got money, his mother was the one that screw him over

Reactions: Purdue11
Alexander played in what is possibly the best high school basketball leage top to bottom...I just think his power style doesn't translate to the NBA this day and age..Also Alexander said himself that he left Kansas because he assumed he would not be eligible to play....Whether or not he got money, his mother was the one that screw him over

I was very surprised the NCAA ever cleared him to play. he did play in a very competitive high school basketball league. however, I only saw him in AAU play, so that's all I can really attest to. he did have a game against another 5* center in high school that was really hyped.

PF Leron Black led the team in scoring last season. So, I don't get your argument.
So what? Carsen Edwards led Purdue in scoring this past season and will be a preseason All-American next year. Yet it's obvious, still, that Purdue's offense (body of work over past 5 years) favors big men over guards. We dump the ball into the post more than pretty much any team in the country. That could change, but right now, that's its identity. Brad Underwood has had virtually zero success with big men, and none with true centers, over the course of his career. His system favors guards, like Evans at Oklahoma State and Frazier.

Reactions: Zanzibar528
We played and won a road game without Vince.

The only teams Illinois beat in B1G play were IU (home), Nebraska (home) and Rutgers (home and away).
I’m not arguing they were stellar. I’m simply saying they made significant strides as a team from their first game to their last. I’m only saying this because the last time we played them, I said to myself “they won’t be fun to play next year”. I think they have a good coach running their program now. I’m simply stating what I saw.

Reactions: ChuckJr

BTW, do you really believe you're totally objective in your views regarding Purdue athletics? Most fans are in varying degrees too optimistic or way too critical of his or team of choice.
Boiler fans are unique in that our gold and black glasses are often tinted very dark. Lots of “self loathing Purdue” fans.
And he’s big! And a stud! More congrats!!
Serious need to stroke his own ego. Oh well, if that’s all he can get...

Boiler fans are unique in that our gold and black glasses are often tinted very dark. Lots of “self loathing Purdue” fans.

Serious need to stroke his own ego. Oh well, if that’s all he can get...
I think we can agree that are expectations are a little more realistic than those down south.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
So what? Carsen Edwards led Purdue in scoring this past season and will be a preseason All-American next year. Yet it's obvious, still, that Purdue's offense (body of work over past 5 years) favors big men over guards. We dump the ball into the post more than pretty much any team in the country. That could change, but right now, that's its identity. Brad Underwood has had virtually zero success with big men, and none with true centers, over the course of his career. His system favors guards, like Evans at Oklahoma State and Frazier.
So don't you think that shows that neither system is exclusively this or that? Purdue plays inside out. Illinois plays guard to wing to post, which means PU facilitates its offense through the low post, while UI through its wings. Underwood wants to push the ball more, so yes, the guards will dominate the ball more in those situations. But, Black got plenty of touches in the low-post.

Underwood's so-called lack of success with centers can be solely attributed to his coaching history thus far. Also, I doubt Okoro is looking to develop into a solely back-to-the-basket center.

So don't you think that shows that neither system is exclusively this or that? Purdue plays inside out. Illinois plays guard to wing to post, which means PU facilitates its offense through the low post, while UI through its wings. Underwood wants to push the ball more, so yes, the guards will dominate the ball more in those situations. But, Black got plenty of touches in the low-post.

Underwood's so-called lack of success with centers can be solely attributed to his coaching history thus far. Also, I doubt Okoro is looking to develop into a solely back-to-the-basket center.
Actually, in Hummel's last year Purdue played outside to outside...very little inside due to the players on O. With Johnson, Purdue used him quite a bit I seem to recall at the mid to high post. Only with Haas and AJ (AJ had some mid post) have Purdue been strictly a low post offense.

Illinois has a high pressure D...wanting turnovers and an up and down game. Most turnovers that lead to scoring will come before the Bigs get down the court and so the Bigs for Illinois will be less involved than on a team that plays less pressure D. I thought Black was an athletic 6'7" player...more of a tall 3 or small 4 player (size wise)rather than a 5 or powerful 4? If there is anything that can really be stated it is that motion and Matt's sets take advantage of what a player needs. He has had 5s, 4s and 2's primarily that have been major scorers on many teams with a sprinkle of a 3 here and there. he has NOT had 1's that were main scorers and so any player that is good can shine it seems...except for the possibility of a 1 that is the main scorer. A 1 can score, but not leading the team in scoring it seems so far in history.

Reactions: USPURDUE
Carl Landry was used in the low post.
yes, compl;etely forgot about him and could add that Biggie played low to high post and even behind the arc. The intended point and Landry helps with this is that Matt where ever you play...if you are good enough you will get showcased at Purdue. Whether low post, mid/high post..5's, 4s and 2's have been in the spotlight..and a bit with 3s. The only place missing is a high scoring 1

If I remember right when Southern Illinois was in the tournament under CMP, he had a couple 6’8” bruisers underneath that were the focal point.
Very easily could have...I don't know...just goes to show it doesn't have to be 2s and 4s that score or if you're correct...two 4s or a 4 and a 5 I don't know the players you are suggsting. Besides there are a lot of advantages to having some bruisers inside in addition to fg%...like fouls, rebounds, internal D and a more consistent scoring option in some cases. In motion...it is an equal opportunity offense!

If I remember right when Southern Illinois was in the tournament under CMP, he had a couple 6’8” bruisers underneath that were the focal point.
Maybe not looking at the box score back in 2004. The guard shot the most back then. It is equal opportunity.

Reactions: Boilermaker24
Speaking of developing base line players, I watched NO's nba playoff game last night and they start E'twaun at the 3. I think he was 6'4" when he was here??? Maybe 6'5"? The Big Easy really owes us for this and Drew Brees leading them on the grid iron. Actually, I just really want this Okoro. Best looking HS Jr I've seen clips on so far

I thought Black was an athletic 6'7" player...more of a tall 3 or small 4 player (size wise)rather than a 5 or powerful 4?
Sorry, that's a bad take on Leron Black. He's was a small 5 on offense. He never played anything remotely resembling the three spot. At the end of the year, he was able to slide into the 4 spot at times because Eboigbodin started getting playing time alongside him.

The main takeaway from this argument is that coaches adapt their systems to their players (good coaches do). Illinois played through Leron frequently because that's where the mismatch was and they knew he could get buckets.

Back to lurking.

Sorry, that's a bad take on Leron Black. He's was a small 5 on offense. He never played anything remotely resembling the three spot. At the end of the year, he was able to slide into the 4 spot at times because Eboigbodin started getting playing time alongside him.

The main takeaway from this argument is that coaches adapt their systems to their players (good coaches do). Illinois played through Leron frequently because that's where the mismatch was and they knew he could get buckets.

Back to lurking.
The operative word in () was size wise. Never once said he played like a 3. He was (size wise) a 3 or small four as I stated. Okoro is a (size wise) a solid four and a player that could play a 5 spot as well. Physically, the two are different in that Okoro's ceiling may be higher at a 4 than Black's. Black's stock would not increase by playing with his back to the basket...Okoro would be helped with that being another area of his game as well as facing the basket. They are two different players and would never see Okoro's game being like Black's game...although there would be "some" over lap.

Course teh defensive approach has ties to offense and the D approach is different between Illinois and the rest of the Big. I think Underwood is a step up for Ill, but Okoro would be better served IMO on offense at Purdue than at Illinois and if you disagree that is fine...

Reactions: Views
Hey guys, so Painter called me up and is having me help recruit Okoro on his OV to Purdue.. he contacted me after seeing my recruiting insides on this free board.
Matt will use reverse psychology and tell him bigs rarely see the ball at Purdue and unlike others will NOT show him video or stats to back that up….making Okoro hungry to prove otherwise. Then Matt will tell him that in a read offense...no where is there an option for him to receive the ball and will develop him defensively by always fronting the post…like…and develop his speed by trying to catch up with the guards on turnovers. It will be all about reverse psychology to make him want to come to Purdue to prove him wrong… ;)

Matt will use reverse psychology and tell him bigs rarely see the ball at Purdue and unlike others will NOT show him video or stats to back that up….making Okoro hungry to prove otherwise. Then Matt will tell him that in a read offense...no where is there an option for him to receive the ball and will develop him defensively by always fronting the post…like…and develop his speed by trying to catch up with the guards on turnovers. It will be all about reverse psychology to make him want to come to Purdue to prove him wrong… ;)
Don’t forget his close: “I’m not even sure you’re good enough to see the floor here.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT