ADVERTISEMENT

Former Players Only: biggest surprise, greatest disappointment

In my era, biggest disappointment was Jeff George closely followed by overhyped Jimmy Smith

Jimmy Smith came in after being named the top player in IL. He transferred after 3 seasons, but still had almost 1500 yds rushing and 15 TDs while at Purdue.

Even though Jimmy left after 3 years, he still went on to play in the NFL.

Not sure I'd call a kid like that out of Kankakee, IL, "overhyped."

Reactions: tjreese
Rob Ninkovich needs some consideration in this conversation. Brees won some state titles but Ninkovich was an “under the radar guy” even when he was on campus. Didn’t get significant minutes until his senior year, then went to a successful NFL career

Last edited:
I’ll go with 2 WRs...
Surprise: Rondale Moore...for a small, 3* recruit (can’t ever completely move on from the Rivals’ analysts “we’re comfortable where we have him rated” replies), he sure produced (TIC).
Disappointment: Kevin Noel. I was expecting the purple practice jersey to be named after him at some point. It’s a shame he wasn’t able to ever get/stay healthy.

Nick Hardwick was my biggest surprise - He was a walk-on and made a career in the NFL. Biggest disappointment - Eric Hunter. I believe left school for a mental hospital. He could scramble with the best of them.

Nick Hardwick was my biggest surprise - He was a walk-on and made a career in the NFL. Biggest disappointment - Eric Hunter. I believe left school for a mental hospital. He could scramble with the best of them.
Agree on Hunter. I was at the MSU game with a friend where we were down by 7 touchdowns, I told my buddy "Let's go to Harrys so we can get a good seat". Watched the game from there and Eric scored 6 TD's and almost pulled off the comeback. He ended up homeless somewhere in the south, I think he just passed within the last couple of years. Had another friend who had to chase him down when he broke out from observation from one of the Lafayette facilities. Funny story but a sad tale, as they say.

Reactions: Bob the Boiler
Didn't Hunters downward spiral begin just prior to 93' draft when he signed with untested aspiring sports agent, Puff Daddy. No NFL team wanted to deal him after that. Mind boggling lack of judgement. Would have made me crazy too

Biggest Surprise: Eric Hunter 1990 Biggest Disappointment: Eric Hunter 1991. Very sad his life turned out the way it unfolded. He brought a lot of enjoyment and great plays in a not so great era of Purdue Football.

Not the biggest surprise from a career standpoint, but everybody told Seth Morales not to transfer from Butler, and he had a nice catch IIRC...
We used to see his girlfriend down at the Rathskeller on occasion. She'd tell us every year around draft time, Seth was always thinking "Maybe I should look at doing some tryouts for some teams this year." Gotta love the guy. He will go down as a legend in Purdue football for "The Catch".

For me, biggest surprise was Drew Brees. Ryan Kerrigan a close second. Greatest disappointment, Selwyn Lymon. After the ND game showing thought he would take off.

Hate to admit Gelen Robinson let me down. Being on poor teams may have held him back, but a 4 star just a few years ago was a Big Deal here. Biggest surprise was Mark Herrmann. Without a strong arm or elite athleticism, he was able to have a major role in 3 Bowl victories (no other QB in the Cradle can boast that) and carved out a lengthy journeyman NFL career.

Hate to admit Gelen Robinson let me down. Being on poor teams may have held him back, but a 4 star just a few years ago was a Big Deal here. Biggest surprise was Mark Herrmann. Without a strong arm or elite athleticism, he was able to have a major role in 3 Bowl victories (no other QB in the Cradle can boast that) and carved out a lengthy journeyman NFL career.

Gelen was best suited to dt too bad it took so long to move him

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT