ADVERTISEMENT

Fletch at Tatum Elite camp

If you polled Purdue fans, I'd wager most think he'll take a step back next year between Zach not attracting attention or other people passing him by. Don't be surprised if he makes a jump and that doesn't happen. Dude is a competitor and is pretty damn skilled.
Agreed. I think Fletch would start and be featured on every team in the Big Ten.

If you polled Purdue fans, I'd wager most think he'll take a step back next year between Zach not attracting attention or other people passing him by. Don't be surprised if he makes a jump and that doesn't happen. Dude is a competitor and is pretty damn skilled.
And this is exactly what paint sees in him too. I’m sure you’ve heard paint talk on the boilerball podcast how fletch is going to be asked to do more things and have the ball more in his hands this year. Kid is a gamer, just like Braden. Gonna be fun to see how they both evolve post Zach. I think we are going to be pretty quick up and down.

What I like from that clip was the shot he made after driving to the free-throw line and pulling up for the 15-footer. He needs to develop the quick feet to stop on a dime and get that shot off. I like it better than when he drives to deep into his defender and puts up an off-balance flip shot. He did that a couple of times in that clip too.

This is encouraging. Fletch -- and more importantly, the team -- will be the better for it if he abandons what seemed like a stubborn insistence to get to the rim on drives.

The "goofy"-foot jumpers put me in mind of what Mount calls "wrong-foot" jumpers. I would think this technique would keep defenders off-balance.

It's exciting to watch his progression!

This is encouraging. Fletch -- and more importantly, the team -- will be the better for it if he abandons what seemed like a stubborn insistence to get to the rim on drives.

The "goofy"-foot jumpers put me in mind of what Mount calls "wrong-foot" jumpers. I would think this technique would keep defenders off-balance.

It's exciting to watch his progression!
As devils advocate, Maybe his role last year (besides hitting 3s) was more so to see the opening and drive to the hole, because if he missed, there’d be a good chance edey would have got the rebound and put it back.

I think ppl are going to be surprised by what fletch can do. He’s a competitor and isn’t going to stay stagnant. He’s going to get better.

What I would like to see from Fletch is giving him some PnR with Willie/TKR etc....dude is crafty as hell and if given the right spacing, he is lethal. He has to take what the defense gives him and use that midrange plus floater game.

Kuddos to him and Painter for getting him on this Tatum elite camp....just proves he isn't some slouch.....

What I would like to see from Fletch is giving him some PnR with Willie/TKR etc....dude is crafty as hell and if given the right spacing, he is lethal. He has to take what the defense gives him and use that midrange plus floater game.
And stop with the flopping. That always irritated me as I think his success rate is something like 2% at getting a foul called.

And stop with the flopping. That always irritated me as I think his success rate is something like 2% at getting a foul called.
Soccer Player GIF

Consistency is the jump I want to see.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
Everybody thinks their shooters are inconsistent. You should check the stats of the other top shooters in the Big Ten. Most just as inconsistent if not more.

Yes TY.
But not talking consistent % ... but consistent double digit scoring will be needed with Edey gone. Had 14 single digit scoring games last year. That's what needs to be improved for an experienced 2 guard.

He likely uses his experience to produce pts, or CMP will go to what we all hope is a deep bench.

Everybody thinks their shooters are inconsistent. You should check the stats of the other top shooters in the Big Ten. Most just as inconsistent if not more.
Also consistent on defense. He is limited physically in terms of foot speed but can at least be an average defender every game imo if he brings the required physicality every game and uses his already high bball IQ.

Yes TY.
But not talking consistent % ... but consistent double digit scoring will be needed with Edey gone. Had 14 single digit scoring games last year. That's what needs to be improved for an experienced 2 guard.

He likely uses his experience to produce pts, or CMP will go to what we all hope is a deep bench.
I agree with you, they'll need him to produce consistently, but would argue that when he scored in single digits last year it generally wasn't that he played or shot poorly, it was that the didn't run stuff for him. That will change this year and he'll also need to be more assertive, per your point.

I agree with you, they'll need him to produce consistently, but would argue that when he scored in single digits last year it generally wasn't that he played or shot poorly, it was that the didn't run stuff for him. That will change this year and he'll also need to be more assertive, per your point.
Absolutely. If Zach was dominating and the P&R with Braden was super effective (it often was), it would have been coaching malpractice to not go to that well time and again. Because it happened, there were games where guys didn't get consistent touches.

The only guy who consistently got shots up was Lance and that's because a few times a game, he went outside the offense to shoot the ball, sometimes good and sometimes not so good.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Absolutely. If Zach was dominating and the P&R with Braden was super effective (it often was), it would have been coaching malpractice to not go to that well time and again. Because it happened, there were games where guys didn't get consistent touches.

The only guy who consistently got shots up was Lance and that's because a few times a game, he went outside the offense to shoot the ball, sometimes good and sometimes not so good.
Completely agree. I’d also say that Fletch was the last guy the teams wanted to allow open looks to on the perimeter..

Consistency is the jump I want to see.
I want to see him get stronger. I think it will really improve his handles, ability to finish in traffic, and defense to some degree. I was most disappointed that he didn't improve his body much from his freshman to soph year. Some people have a hard time adding weight but he needs strength badly.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I want to see him get stronger. I think it will really improve his handles, ability to finish in traffic, and defense to some degree. I was most disappointed that he didn't improve his body much from his freshman to soph year. Some people have a hard time adding weight but he needs strength badly.
Most of us don't have a hard time adding weight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT