ADVERTISEMENT

First to commit?

So, what's the likelihood Tillman will have second thoughts about his lack of playing time and decide to transfer?

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
So, what's the likelihood Tillman will have second thoughts about his lack of playing time and decide to transfer?

In a perfect world, that would be awesome.......I also thought I read that he was a father to be and staying close to home was important to his decision. My guess is Tillman will be that perfect program guy who adds depth to MSU front line for 4 years.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
In a perfect world, that would be awesome.......I also thought I read that he was a father to be and staying close to home was important to his decision. My guess is Tillman will be that perfect program guy who adds depth to MSU front line for 4 years.

if true, he could become one of those players who stays 4 years, contributes, gets a degree and gets a job. there's nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: Roeder
Looking like Williams could be the first to commit. He has narrowed his list to Purdue and Xavier and most of the 247 experts have changed their crystal ball projection from M$U to Purdue

Looking like Williams could be the first to commit. He has narrowed his list to Purdue and Xavier and most of the 247 experts have changed their crystal ball projection from M$U to Purdue

That would be great ...Last year Williams averaged 22 points, 25 rebounds, 1.5 blocks, 3.5 assists and 2.5 steals. He posted five triple-doubles. He twice scored over 30 points and grabbed more than 30 rebounds in a game. Sounds like a keeper. (http://www.mlive.com/sports/2017/04/trevion_williams_once_an_outsi.html)

Although scary .......sometimes when 247 predicts it ends up going the other way.

That would be great ...Last year Williams averaged 22 points, 25 rebounds, 1.5 blocks, 3.5 assists and 2.5 steals. He posted five triple-doubles. He twice scored over 30 points and grabbed more than 30 rebounds in a game. Sounds like a keeper. (http://www.mlive.com/sports/2017/04/trevion_williams_once_an_outsi.html)

Although scary .......sometimes when 247 predicts it ends up going the other way.

Williams needs to drop some weight, but he is a rebounding machine and has a nice touch around the rim. If he improves like Biggie did, he will end up an All American. Would be a very good get. Tremendous upside.

Williams needs to drop some weight, but he is a rebounding machine and has a nice touch around the rim. If he improves like Biggie did, he will end up an All American. Would be a very good get. Tremendous upside.
Pretty sure he has extra weight right now because he had a foot or leg injury that prevented him from working out much.

He sounds like an excellent fit given that the post Haas Boilers will not have a physically powerful interior threat and rebounder. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Roeder
Pretty sure he has extra weight right now because he had a foot or leg injury that prevented him from working out much.

That is correct. He has even mentioned he isn't down to what he wants to be. He is an absolute monster. If he gets back to 100% he will easily be a top 50 incoming freshman. Would be a heck of a get. He really likes Biggie and what he did, so hopefully we can sell that and bring him in. He would get very big minutes as a freshman if he continues to improve his conditioninn and works those pounds off. I hope he shows the same work ethic and improvement as Biggie when he signs on. He is exactly what Painter needs. Willing to defend and rebound, but can also score. If he can develop a consistent jumper/3, he will be all conference. I really do hope he picks Purdue, and I do think we are the favorite at this point, but it's close. Hopefully Biggie tips the scales for us.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
That is correct. He has even mentioned he isn't down to what he wants to be. He is an absolute monster. If he gets back to 100% he will easily be a top 50 incoming freshman. Would be a heck of a get. He really likes Biggie and what he did, so hopefully we can sell that and bring him in. He would get very big minutes as a freshman if he continues to improve his conditioninn and works those pounds off. I hope he shows the same work ethic and improvement as Biggie when he signs on. He is exactly what Painter needs. Willing to defend and rebound, but can also score. If he can develop a consistent jumper/3, he will be all conference. I really do hope he picks Purdue, and I do think we are the favorite at this point, but it's close. Hopefully Biggie tips the scales for us.

Top 50? Monster? Not saying you're wrong, but on what are you basing these opinions?

I've only watched a couple youtube videos, and I saw a large frame that, while somewhat skilled in handling the ball (nowhere near the level of Biggie coming out of HS), was slow with below avg athleticism. Convince me I'm wrong.

Top 50? Monster? Not saying you're wrong, but on what are you basing these opinions?

I've only watched a couple youtube videos, and I saw a large frame that, while somewhat skilled in handling the ball (nowhere near the level of Biggie coming out of HS), was slow with below avg athleticism. Convince me I'm wrong.

I too saw a big-frame who can handle the ball and has court vision. At least those 3 things are like Biggie.

Will he tone and strengthen that heft while exhibiting Biggie's work ethic? An unfair expectation, but he has the example right there before him.

While the guy is a total monster no doubt....just check his high school stats.....it would be tough to go from rivals rank of 95 to sub 50 in a under a year. Not unprecedented but rare.

I too saw a big-frame who can handle the ball and has court vision. At least those 3 things are like Biggie.

Will he tone and strengthen that heft while exhibiting Biggie's work ethic? An unfair expectation, but he has the example right there before him.

I actually missed this video, and he does show some decent shooting form & long arms. Still limited jumping ability, but that shouldn't hinder him as much in rebounding given his large frame.

You're right about the template for improvement in Biggie. If he comes here, which seems likely at this point, I hope he brings a similar chip on his shoulder.

I actually missed this video, and he does show some decent shooting form & long arms. Still limited jumping ability, but that shouldn't hinder him as much in rebounding given his large frame.

You're right about the template for improvement in Biggie. If he comes here, which seems likely at this point, I hope he brings a similar chip on his shoulder.
Williams to Purdue makes great sense. I like having a player like him on the roster.

If anyone should be impressed about how Swanigan blossomed at Purdue, it would be Williams. He might not be as highly ranked as a prospect, but the similarities between him and Biggie are hard to miss.

Landing Williams is a pretty big deal....can CMP pull it off?

Big deal because....
1. Even though TW is ranked @ 95 right now I would say he is undervalued and with the HS stats and body he has the potential as being an all B1G player.
2. He is a top 100 out of state player. In the past many if not most of CMP's top 100 have come in state. Haas, and CE for example....are two that show CMP is branching out and getting these top 100s elsewhere. TW would continue this trend.
3. Xavier....I do not think you can underestimate the coach @ X and his recruiting abilities. Mack has shown to be superior to CMPs recruiting to land higher ranked talent IMO. It would be big to beat out X for his services.
4. Getting a guy highly coveted out of Michigan would be tough. Never happened under CMP yet....TW would be the first.
5. Many say CMP has poor sales ability and cannot land the big fish in recruiting (they say he got lucky in 07 & point to CS as being brought in by Roosevelt Barnes and thus is an outlier to the CMP and hasn't shown much in recruiting outside of those) ....I guess this is another data point to that argument --- one way or the other. So it is important to get TW to show folks CMP does/can and will recruit and sell hard like anyone else.

Last edited:
5. Many say CMP has poor sales ability and cannot land the big fish in recruiting
Got a link to support that load of hyperbole? Because the only people that truly know what goes on are those involved.

And let's also make note of something else, you said that HAAS, CE, VE, etc were a 'rarity' for CMP but really it's more of a trend now that he has the resources/AD to support him.

Last edited:
Got a link to support that load of hyperbole? Because the only people that truly know what goes on are those involved.

And let's also make note of something else, you said that HAAS, CE, VE, etc were a 'rarity' for CMP but really it's more of a trend now that he has the resources/AD to support him.

geez - settle your jets... I have edited the bold above to be clearer. I could not remember any other top 100 out of state players....yes there could be others. (since VE was not top 100 & ranked rivals 124; I took him out leaving only 2 players I could think of.....maybe "rare" was a good word afterall).

I will stand by the first statement though...I have read "Many say CMP has poor sales ability" on this site for years.

Last edited:
I will stand by the first statement though...I have read "Many say CMP has poor sales ability" on this site for years.
So your 'source' for the poor sales ability you are referencing are posts from this site? That says it all.

I stand by my statement that we are seeing more of what is expected out of CMP with the recent recruits of Haas, CE, VE, Eastern and so on now that he has the resources to go after these recruits. I think it is not just coincidence that we start getting those types of recruits more regularly when all of that changed.

Perhaps it's not so much poor salesmanship, but was a lack of resources or something less hyperbolic eh?

So your 'source' for the poor sales ability you are referencing are posts from this site? That says it all.

I stand by my statement that we are seeing more of what is expected out of CMP with the recent recruits of Haas, CE, VE, Eastern and so on now that he has the resources to go after these recruits. I think it is not just coincidence that we start getting those types of recruits more regularly when all of that changed.

Perhaps it's not so much poor salesmanship, but was a lack of resources or something less hyperbolic eh?

Please list other Rivals top 100 out of state players CMP landed.....since you did object when I used the word "rare"

I still can think of only 2...CE & Haas. But hey, I likely have forgotten several.....

originally I said... "Many say CMP has poor sales ability" -- I have read that on here for years and heard it from several fans. So I did not see what the problem is? I am not saying he has poor sales ability -- I am just saying I have read that here--- see the difference....

originally I said... "Many say CMP has poor sales ability" -- I have read that on here for years and heard it from several fans. So I did not see what the problem is? I am not saying he has poor sales ability -- I am just saying I have read that here--- see the difference....
My point still remains.

Some people are glass half full and other glass half empty......

In the end CMP is passionate about Purdue and the best person to lead the program.

It is trending upward again and just a matter of time before we get a couple Final 4's and NCAA Championships under the belt.

Boiler Up and I know I will always be positive about Purdue and the future!

Reactions: BBG and BoiledSteel
Please list other Rivals top 100 out of state players CMP landed.....since you did object when I used the word "rare"

I still can think of only 2...CE & Haas. But hey, I likely have forgotten several.....

Weren't Eastern, V Edwards and C Edwards and Stephens all out of state top 100 players? Dakota was out of state. Was he a top 100? Was the Johnson from Chicago a top 100 player?

Weren't Eastern, V Edwards and C Edwards and Stephens all out of state top 100 players? Dakota was out of state. Was he a top 100? Was the Johnson from Chicago a top 100 player?

Eastern and Stephens were - thank you....tried to think of other top 100 out of state earlier. Prob others, but these 4 for sure --now 5 with TW.

I called it, Trevion Williams is first to commit, are there any chicken dinners for this one? I called Dowuona second.

I don't follow recruiting all that closely, but it seems from afar like Dowuona would be a great fit next to TW. The latter is a skilled wide-body in the Biggie mold; the former is a more defensive-minded rim protector, at least from what I've heard. Together they could form a fearsome front line.

Just curious, what impact do you see this signing have on bringing in Dowuona ? Do you think he'd want to join and form a formidable front court? or would he look elsewhere to get more playing time? I see both players as inside rim protectors.

Yes Dowuona would be a great fit next to TW.......

TW can pass the ball and handle it as well.....which is good if we have shooters ready on the wing or athletic wings cutting to the basket.

Lots of good players wanting to b Boilermakers...next few weeks should be fun!

I see a lot of pick and roll opportunities with C Edwards, Eastern and Williams - much like Stockton and Malone!

I called it, Trevion Williams is first to commit, are there any chicken dinners for this one? I called Dowuona second.
Please head down to your local Elks Lodge and let them know I sent you.

If they act weird about it, just tell them you know people.

Just curious, what impact do you see this signing have on bringing in Dowuona ? Do you think he'd want to join and form a formidable front court? or would he look elsewhere to get more playing time? I see both players as inside rim protectors.

But is TW a rim protector? He looks and sounds like a great rebounder and a guy to whom we could feed the ball for post buckets, but usually a rim protector needs to really be able to get up. No knock on TW--I haven't seen him play--but he sounds more...skillful and less like a high flyer. More like a Biggie or a Nick Ward-type.

Dowuona sounds more to me like a guy who can run the floor, block shots, and hopefully develop a face-up game from fifteen feet in. If these characterizations are true, they'd be different enough to bring out the best in each other and the team.

0ea10107ee60e8eac0dcd927bea4bba4.jpg

Think he was close... But ended up 101 in final list.

Is that within the "margin of error?" lol

I remember him at one point being in the top 100....unfortunately, things didn't work out for him, and he had some personal struggles with his family situation. Didn't he finish up at Northern Illinois?

Reactions: Boiler Buck
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT