ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue women's basketball Final Thoughts: Purdue's win over Nicholls

Brian_GoldandBlack.com

Jun 18, 2003
West Lafayette, Ind.
A few final musings from Purdue's 104-90 win over Nicholls, because I know how you like musings.

• The 90 points is a real eyesore, but I think the biggest issue there wasn't Ty Gordon going all NCAA Tournament Carsen Edwards, but rather the fact that Purdue allowed way too many loose balls and offensive rebounds to reach Nicholls hands.

Nicholls had 14 offensive rebounds and 24 second-chance points. Had Purdue just gotten the balls it sometimes competed amongst itself for, both those numbers are cut by a quarter probably. If the Boilermakers just do a better job — play in this regard like they ought to and will against Big Ten teams — it's probably cut by three-quarters, and then you're talking about Nicholls scoring low-70s - despite NBA Jam ball-on-fire shooting — instead of 90 and Purdue probably gets enough extra possessions to either score 115 or clear the bench two minutes earlier.

Purdue needed to do a better job on the glass, blocking out and simply grabbing the ball when there were balls there to be grabbed. I attribute this to boredom. Once Purdue went on that 20-0 run, this game was over, and one team kinda played like it, same as it did against Iowa. That's not a great habit to build, but playing with big leads is better than the alternative.

the-office-approval.gif

Had Purdue just rebounded better, whatever defensive concerns might have come out of this game would be largely off the table.

• Just want to keep highlighting Ethan Morton, who is really becoming something. He's still going to have his share of scoreless, 10-minute outings during the Big Ten season, but Matt Painter talks all the time about the importance of players earning a coach's trust, and I'd have to think Morton is well on his way.

Seven assists and no turnovers in 22 minutes is really something.

When Ethan Mortons and Sasha Stefanovics and Trevion Williams' are leading a team in assists, that is a credit to those players, but also a credit to the whole offensive operation functioning at a high level.

But with Morton you're seeing now why Matt Painter was smitten with him out of high school. He is often one step ahead of the game with his passing, plays within himself, doesn't do anything crazy and knows his role. He makes Purdue better offensively just by being on the floor.

• I know you have to do something against Purdue when you can't match its size, which no low-majors can, but doubling off Sasha Stefanovic ball side might be the craziest thing I've seen someone do against Purdue since Michigan State came in and put Marcus Bingham on Trevion Williams to start the game instead of Xavier Tillman.

• Purdue's running a lot of stuff for Isaiah Thompson now and being rewarded for it. He's showing you more of what he's capable of now that he's being featured more. That's added another layer for Purdue offensively.

• I don't know what's going on with Caleb Furst in terms of whether this is a matter of days or cleared tests or whatever. I assume this is just a contact and not a positive case, but don't know that either. I do know that Purdue expects to have him vs. Wisconsin, and that's what matters most.

To be honest, Purdue could have used his hustle and tenacity on the glass tonight. Betcha he'd have gotten three or four of those rebounds Nicholls came away with.

• Good for Brandon Newman. His back to back threes in the first half were a big part of turning this game. That's what he gives you, that potential.

• Nicholls is good. Those two dudes — Ty Gordon and the big kid, Rhyghe Lyons — can play for a lot of people.

• My sense is that Purdue's coasted a bit the past two games and is ready to play peers again.

Thanks for reading, everybody, and have a good night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News