ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite non-Purdue Big Ten players

TC4THREE

All-American
Mar 20, 2002
Just for something to discuss right now. I know some fans won't like any players from other programs but I think most mature basketball fans can have an appreciation for opposing players. I'm going to try to come up with one I liked for every program just to get it started.

Illinois - Had to think awhile on this one. I kind of cheered for them when Bruce Weber was coaching and they had a run in 04-05 so I'm going with Deron Williams just from an appreciation of him playing at a very high level.
Indiana - Victor Oladipo. Came in under the radar and turned himself into a top pick in the NBA Draft. Never cocky from my recollection.
Iowa - Chris Street. Has to be top of the list for them. He's grown from an Iowa legend to a Big Ten legend.
Maryland - Juan Dixon. For some reason, I really loved it when he won a national title.
Michigan - Spike Albrecht. His title game performance made him Michigan legend and then he came and helped Purdue win a Big Ten title afterward.
Michigan State - This one is tough because I feel like the program has been scum under Izzo. Fortunately, I'm old enough to remember Shawn Respert. He was really good and I believe he is the all-time leading scorer in Big Ten games. On top of that, he had a rather remarkable story about playing through cancer as an NBA rookie and he somehow managed to do that without it becoming public until ten years later after his playing career was over. Talk about tough.
Minnesota - Not going to go back very far for this one. Daniel Oturu. For my money, the best player in the Big Ten last year. It's a good thing the conference won't experience this kid as an upperclassman.
Nebraska - Not a long history with them in the Big Ten. I was tempted to go back and select one of their NBA players that I was familiar with (Piatkowski or Lue) from back when I used to watch crappy basketball but I have almost no recollection of either from college. So I'm going with James Palmer Jr. as he was a memorable scorer in recent history. He finished in their top 20 scorers of all-time even though he only played 2 seasons.
Northwestern - Evan Eschmeyer. I think he played there 8 seasons so he's hard to forget.
Ohio State - Jay Burson. Kid was an amazing scorer for them in the late 80's before a freak basketball injury broke his neck to end his senior season. It's notable that he likely broke his neck in the first half of a game that he played most of the 2nd half in and ended up with 25 points. Never like to see a great player end his college career like that.
Penn State - Pete Lisicky. He was on that really good Penn State basketball team in 1996. 4th in the Big Ten all-time in 3-pointers made Shot like 47% in 1996. That's good enough for me to finish ahead of Calvin Booth.
Rutgers - Toughest one yet. They haven't been in the Big Ten very long and were terrible until the past couple of years. I'm going with Corey Sanders. He wasn't the best player in the world but he was a scorer who was fun to watch.
Wisconsin - Micheal Finley. I'd say he was the first good Wisconsin player to play on a good Wisconsin team in my memory. 3 straight 20 ppg seasons at Wisconsin before a good NBA career. Runner up here is Trevon Hughes. I have no idea why I like him so much but he always seemed smooth and probably played best whenever I happened to watch by some coincidence.

Just for something to discuss right now. I know some fans won't like any players from other programs but I think most mature basketball fans can have an appreciation for opposing players. I'm going to try to come up with one I liked for every program just to get it started.

Illinois - Had to think awhile on this one. I kind of cheered for them when Bruce Weber was coaching and they had a run in 04-05 so I'm going with Deron Williams just from an appreciation of him playing at a very high level.
Indiana - Victor Oladipo. Came in under the radar and turned himself into a top pick in the NBA Draft. Never cocky from my recollection.
Iowa - Chris Street. Has to be top of the list for them. He's grown from an Iowa legend to a Big Ten legend.
Maryland - Juan Dixon. For some reason, I really loved it when he won a national title.
Michigan - Spike Albrecht. His title game performance made him Michigan legend and then he came and helped Purdue win a Big Ten title afterward.
Michigan State - This one is tough because I feel like the program has been scum under Izzo. Fortunately, I'm old enough to remember Shawn Respert. He was really good and I believe he is the all-time leading scorer in Big Ten games. On top of that, he had a rather remarkable story about playing through cancer as an NBA rookie and he somehow managed to do that without it becoming public until ten years later after his playing career was over. Talk about tough.
Minnesota - Not going to go back very far for this one. Daniel Oturu. For my money, the best player in the Big Ten last year. It's a good thing the conference won't experience this kid as an upperclassman.
Nebraska - Not a long history with them in the Big Ten. I was tempted to go back and select one of their NBA players that I was familiar with (Piatkowski or Lue) from back when I used to watch crappy basketball but I have almost no recollection of either from college. So I'm going with James Palmer Jr. as he was a memorable scorer in recent history. He finished in their top 20 scorers of all-time even though he only played 2 seasons.
Northwestern - Evan Eschmeyer. I think he played there 8 seasons so he's hard to forget.
Ohio State - Jay Burson. Kid was an amazing scorer for them in the late 80's before a freak basketball injury broke his neck to end his senior season. It's notable that he likely broke his neck in the first half of a game that he played most of the 2nd half in and ended up with 25 points. Never like to see a great player end his college career like that.
Penn State - Pete Lisicky. He was on that really good Penn State basketball team in 1996. 4th in the Big Ten all-time in 3-pointers made Shot like 47% in 1996. That's good enough for me to finish ahead of Calvin Booth.
Rutgers - Toughest one yet. They haven't been in the Big Ten very long and were terrible until the past couple of years. I'm going with Corey Sanders. He wasn't the best player in the world but he was a scorer who was fun to watch.
Wisconsin - Micheal Finley. I'd say he was the first good Wisconsin player to play on a good Wisconsin team in my memory. 3 straight 20 ppg seasons at Wisconsin before a good NBA career. Runner up here is Trevon Hughes. I have no idea why I like him so much but he always seemed smooth and probably played best whenever I happened to watch by some coincidence.

You have some good ones there.

A lot of fairly recent players, too, which is okay. A few that stick out for varying reasons...

Wisconsin guard Rick Olson (80's). Just loved the way he played.

Iowa - Jess Settles. Gene Keady/Purdue type of player. (Steve Carino, 2nd, but that guy had to play for Iowa for 10+ years, just 2 more years than Jess Settles!)

OSU - Aaron Craft.

IU - John Lazkowski. Didn't get as many starts as he could/should have, but always seemed like a team player.

Jay Burson, Michael Finley, Evan Eschmeyer, all great choices.

Some good choices by the OP. Eschmeyer for NU, Burson for OSU, and Finley for Wiscy I agree on.

Illinois - The Flying Illini 1989 team. I know you said 1, but that was a fun team! Loved watching Gill, Battle, Norman, etc.

Indiana - Rick Calloway. Smooth, athletic. Loved him.

Iowa - Roy Marble. Great scorer.

Maryland - Len Bias - Loved his game. Sad it had to end with a drug overdose.

Michigan - Glenn Rice - on of the nicest jumpers ever! Was a better all around player in college; but fell in love with the 3 in the NBA.

Michigan State - Steve Smith; I tried to mimic his game, but I wasn't 6'7"

Minnesota - Might be slightly off the wall, but I loved watching Arriel McDonald. Could defend, great assist man. Reminded me of Everett Stephens.
Voshon Leonard was a close 2nd.

Nebraska
- Isiaiah Roby, all around game, smooth. I watched him in high school. Played PG at 6'8.

Penn State - Tony Carr, and/or Tim Frazier

Rutgers - No one yet. Nothing against them, but I haven't found myself rooting for or following any of them to this point yet.

Some good choices by the OP. Eschmeyer for NU, Burson for OSU, and Finley for Wiscy I agree on.

Illinois - The Flying Illini 1989 team. I know you said 1, but that was a fun team! Loved watching Gill, Battle, Norman, etc.

Indiana - Rick Calloway. Smooth, athletic. Loved him.

Iowa - Roy Marble. Great scorer.

Maryland - Len Bias - Loved his game. Sad it had to end with a drug overdose.

Michigan - Glenn Rice - on of the nicest jumpers ever! Was a better all around player in college; but fell in love with the 3 in the NBA.

Michigan State - Steve Smith; I tried to mimic his game, but I wasn't 6'7"

Minnesota - Might be slightly off the wall, but I loved watching Arriel McDonald. Could defend, great assist man. Reminded me of Everett Stephens.
Voshon Leonard was a close 2nd.

Nebraska
- Isiaiah Roby, all around game, smooth. I watched him in high school. Played PG at 6'8.

Penn State - Tony Carr, and/or Tim Frazier

Rutgers - No one yet. Nothing against them, but I haven't found myself rooting for or following any of them to this point yet.

I loved Lenny Bias...….man, those were the days. NCAA basketball wasn't ruined yet. Miss those days. Lenny was a true SKYWALKER!!!!!
RIP Lenny......
b20bbe9ecbcc2a2035b2043fba5c936b.jpg

Very interesting list TC.....here is a truncated list for me:

Illinois - Stephen Bardo

Indiana - Brian Evans

Iowa - Chris Street

Maryland - Albert King - after joining Big Ten (14?), Dez Wells

Michigan - Mike McGee (honorable mention to Cazzie Russell and Spike Albrecht)

Michigan State - Steve Smith

Minnesota - Trent Tucker

Nebraska - James Palmer, Jr.

Northwestern - John Shurna/Bryant McIntosh (tie on all three ballots)

Ohio State - Clark Kellogg (honorable mention to Kelvin Ransey and to John Havlicek, whose collegiate career pre-dated me)

Penn State - Tony Carr

Rutgers - Phil Sellers - after joining Big Ten (14?), Eugene Omoruyi

Wisconsin - Frank Kaminsky

Last edited:
Very interesting list TC.....here is a truncated list for me:

Illinois - Stephen Bardo

Indiana - Brian Evans

Iowa - Chris Street

Maryland - Albert King - after joining Big Ten (14?), Dez Wells

Michigan - Mike McGee (honorable mention to Cazzie Russell and Spike Albrecht)

Michigan State - Steve Smith

Minnesota - Trent Tucker

Nebraska - James Palmer, Jr.

Northwestern - John Shurna/Bryant McIntosh (tie on all three ballots)

Ohio State - Clark Kellogg (honorable mention to Kelvin Ransey and to John Havlicek, whose collegiate career pre-dated me)

Penn State - Tony Carr

Rutgers - Phil Sellers - after joining Big Ten (14?), Eugene Omoruyi

Wisconsin - Frank Kaminsky

Anyone remember Sky King for the Hawkeyes in mid-late 70's? Only saw him on TV, but those goggles!
Rod Robertson at Northwestern. He is from my hometown and is now mayor of Elkhart.
Skiles at MSU, cannot help myself.
Have a real hard time with IU...Tom Abernathy from South Bend. I read somewhere that Kareem had a party at his house in the 70's, and the only teammate he invited was Abernathy.
OSU should be Kellogg, since he has/had so much class after college, but could not stand to see the guy in Mackey! Ransey, as someone mentioned, had a nice game, and, it seemed to me, alot of class. So I pick him.
UM: Thad Garner seemed to be a leader with class. Runner-Up: Timm McCormick.
Illinois makes me draw a blank, but I believe I saw Kendall Gill one time.
Wiscy: Claude Gregory, only because Eifert, the Elder shut him down in '81.
I draw a blank with Minnie also, so I will go with a local boy Kim Zurcher.

THAT is the Big 10 that I know and still believe in. Sorry youngsters.

Michigan - Stauskas? Or Tractor Traylor. I liked them both for different reasons. Nik had such a good work ethic and Traylor was a bruiser.

Michigan State - Scottie Skiles

Ohio State - Bob Knight. I kid, I kid. Aaron Craft. I love defense.

IU - Oladipo? I loved Alford back in the day. I tried to emulate his free throw shooting. Not sure.
Illini - Dee Williams. He would kick your ass but still stop to help you off the floor.

NW - Drew Crawford

Wisconsin - Landry just because of his brother, otherwise Rashard Griffith.

Minnesota - Willie Burton, nice point guard.

Iowa - BJ Armstrong. Dang the Big Ten was tough back then.

Rutgers- Haven’t a clue.

Nebby- see above.

PSU - Tim Frazier.

I always enjoyed watching Sam Dekker. Also liked that red head kid on Iowa the year they got up to like #4 at a point. Was pretty recent. I kind of like Valentine for MSU as well

Michigan State - Scottie Skiles

IU - Oladipo? I loved Alford back in the day. I tried to emulate his free throw shooting.
Wisconsin - Landry just because of his brother, otherwise Rashard Griffith.

Good ones with Skiles and Rashard Griffith. I also emulated the FT shot sequence of Alford. Good technique.

Tex had a few I was thinking about: Carr, Kellogg, Bardo and Kaminsky.

Roy Marble was tough. Brad Lohaus was also fun to watch when they were pressing.

Minnesota always had the 7 foot lumberjacks it seemed - McHale and Randy Breuer. Trent Tucker was a great shooter.

Northwestern - maybe McIntosh. Not much success there.

Rutgers and Nebraska - also no favorites that come to mind.

Herb Williams at O$U and Pacers.

Flying Illini were deep - Lowell Hamilton, Marcus Liberty, Kenny Battle, Nick Anderson, along with Bardo. Man did they have a pipeline to Chicago. They would have had Ben Wilson.

Good ones with Skiles and Rashard Griffith. I also emulated the FT shot sequence of Alford. Good technique.

Tex had a few I was thinking about: Carr, Kellogg, Bardo and Kaminsky.

Roy Marble was tough. Brad Lohaus was also fun to watch when they were pressing.

Minnesota always had the 7 foot lumberjacks it seemed - McHale and Randy Breuer. Trent Tucker was a great shooter.

Northwestern - maybe McIntosh. Not much success there.

Rutgers and Nebraska - also no favorites that come to mind.

Herb Williams at O$U and Pacers.

Flying Illini were deep - Lowell Hamilton, Marcus Liberty, Kenny Battle, Nick Anderson, along with Bardo. Man did they have a pipeline to Chicago. They would have had Ben Wilson.

Not to hijack this excellent thread, but I believe for 20 years U of Minnie had a center who played in the NBA. (Micheal Thompson, Jim Petersen, in addition to the ones you mentioned, and prob some others.

Reactions: TX4GB
Yay, I made it to Sophomore status with last post. 10000 more to All American.

Skiles wasn't everybody's cup of tea but loved his competitiveness .
Taking on Antoine "Judge" Joubert from UM classic line "cmon fatboy show me what you got" kills me .

I forgot Joubert! He was my favorite Michigan player.

Reactions: zigybean
Always like Joe Hillman from IU. Think he has some legal issues after though but good basketball player.

yeah... unless something has changed, Hillman has some serious legal challenges ahead of him.

It also wrecked his career.
Yeah he was working for a guy here in New Pal on that...they were even taking bets on high school football games! Not sure he was ever charged though.

Reactions: Purdue85
I just thought you were getting Joe Hillman confused with Todd Leary. Hadn't heard about Hillman's issues.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT