ADVERTISEMENT

Farewell Tom Izzo

bump for IZZO getting his butt handed to him by Beilein in the Breslin Center.
been worse if X would ahve knocked down some Fts. Taped, but never watched live until after the Purdue game. I know X handles the ball, but surprised Michigan never got the ball into Rahkman's hands when they knew MSU would foul.

I understand Michigan has a good class coming in as well. Jackson should have been a Boiler...saw stars and hype at MSU

Michigan has the best class they've had since the McGary-Robinson-Stauskas class next year and whether they are merely top 25ish or top 5ish depends on Wagner/Matthews and if they go pro or not. But that's next year. I'm just happy to win the 1 game season series vs angry little midget in East Lansing when he has his most stacked team in years.

Last edited:
Michigan has the best class they've had since the McGary-Robinson-Stauskas class next year and whether they are merely top 25ish or top 5ish depends on Wagner/Matthews and if they go pro or not. But that's next year. I'm just happy to win the 1 game season series vs angry little midget in East Lansing when he has his most stacked team in years.

Michigan should be good, regardless, but as you state, if they return....really high potential. Brandon Johns (from East Lansing no less) should be really good, among others. I also expect Maryland's class will also help them move up as well.

The Boilers may take a step down in the standings, but they will have some play-makers...and present some match-up problems....should be a fun/different team to watch/follow.

JMHO

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Some youngsters are getting time this year and did well against Purdue. Losing Moe would be huge...and Rahkman has had a nice career as well..isn't he a senior.

Some youngsters are getting time this year and did well against Purdue. Losing Moe would be huge...and Rahkman has had a nice career as well..isn't he a senior.

Michigan graduates Duncan Robinson and MAAR as well as grad transfer Jaaron Simmons who hasn't done squat. Matthews is a RS sophomore after transferring from Kentucky and Wagner is a junior. Matthews looked like a sure thing earlier this year but has struggled recently so he might be more likely to stay. Wagner is tough to read since he loves college, but also could go play in Germany if he doesn't make the NBA.

Maybe I'm wrong but it doesn't seem that Whizzo has as firm of a hand on his teams the last couple of years as he used to. Attempts at late in game coaching seem to have little effect.

Reactions: Roeder
Sort of like Coach Karl? A basketball genius who lost touch with his main stars? Sometimes having too many stars becomes detrimental as the stars don't want to do the little role playing requirements. Purdue had Kramer and cardinal and Davis who were probably the best at doing the little things!

I knew Wagner was a junior and thought Matthews was either a soph or junior
If someone has the energy and resources, I want to see what B1G teams (or other top level teams) get out-of-country trips this summer.

Lot's of talk about guys staying, underclassmen maturing, recruiting classes making a difference.

I vote that the games we got to play this summer directly contribute to our success .... so, who gets some next summer?

Reactions: tjreese
If someone has the energy and resources, I want to see what B1G teams (or other top level teams) get out-of-country trips this summer.

Lot's of talk about guys staying, underclassmen maturing, recruiting classes making a difference.

I vote that the games we got to play this summer directly contribute to our success .... so, who gets some next summer?
yes...and I think there is value in having another seals camp. I was just thinking about WV yesterday and how much more effective a pressing team is typically early in the season and when Purdue played WV...THAT offense in fast play had already had several games. Since then I'm sure WV has improved their pressure and Purdue's offense against it never had the potential for improvement like WV defense. This doesn't mean Purdue wouldn't be fine...just that WV had more opportunity for improvement. The bonding, the practice has to be a great advantage.

What I like about Purdue is that we see a "basketball team" with basketball skills rather than a track meet. I always enjoyed basketball much more than track

Reactions: BoilerGal74
I think we are about to witness the final phase of the glorious peak of Tom Izzo. Dude is 63 - the next 5 years will probably be his last great years

I like Matt Painter's chances of replacing Izzo as the best coach in the BIG. Still only 47 - last year's title and Sweet 16 bought him at least another 4 years leeway to crack the tourney - and I am optimistic that Purdue will better the Sweet 16 by the time this current freshmen class graduates

85% probability the torch passes from Izzo to Painter in the next 5 years

If Painter was able to consistently recruit at a high level, this might prove to be true.

That said, Purdue is still the Purdue team coached by Matt Painter, which, unfortunately, is not overly appealing to high level recruits.

He wouldn't have the on court success if he didn't cover for his criminals to keep them on the court.
Like Malik Hall? Or Dawson, or Gary Harris? Or any other recruit Izzo took from Purdue like candy from a baby. The only one he lost was Swanigan - and everyone knows what happened there.

Reactions: Keric9823
Do you need me to once again copy and paste the Appling/Payne Deadspin article?

Just provide one way Izzo has 'covered up crimes' committed by his basketball players.

Just one. That's all.

Responses of 'google it yourself' or 'do I need to post a deadspin article' do not suffice.

All I want from you is to tell me a single, factual instance, in which Tom Izzo covered up a crime.

Thanks

You mean the one where noted UM basketball season ticket holder prosecutor Stuart Dunnings who was no friend of MSU athletics stated that “no crime had been committed” by both of them? Keep trying. We all know you hate Izzo because he beats you out for recruits and you guys don’t want to face that most top recruits don’t want to play for your mediocre coach. I get it, you’re bitter.

Izzo covered a crime? Were Appling and Payne ever even charged with a crime? Are you suggesting Izzo was complicit in a cover up? Or are you just made Izzo didn’t take action based on an allegation?

You mean the one where noted UM basketball season ticket holder prosecutor Stuart Dunnings who was no friend of MSU athletics stated that “no crime had been committed” by both of them? Keep trying. We all know you hate Izzo because he beats you out for recruits and you guys don’t want to face that most top recruits don’t want to play for your mediocre coach. I get it, you’re bitter.

How does a basketball coach even go about covering up a crime in the first place? Send hitmen to the victims house to silence them? Actively destroy evidence? Threaten to kill prosecutors?

How does a basketball coach even go about covering up a crime in the first place? Send hitmen to the victims house to silence them? Actively destroy evidence? Threaten to kill prosecutors?

How does a basketball coach cover up a crime?

Like this:

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/03/31/bernstein-ucla-hired-a-scumbag/

Eleven years later, too many have forgotten exactly what Alford did in the aftermath of that incident in Iowa City on September 6, 2002. The University of New Mexico didn’t care, welcoming him for a desert exile long enough to fade too many memories.

None of it appears to matter to UCLA, either.

Pierre Pierce performed unwanted sex acts on a female student at his apartment, covering her mouth when she tried to scream. He eventually plea-bargained to a charge of assault causing injury, later issuing a public apology for “inappropriate sexual contact with a fellow student.”

Had Alford succeeded in his efforts to strong-arm the victim, it all would have evaporated. The disgusting ploy backfired, however, and only steeled her resolve to pursue criminal charges.

Alford enlisted the help of close friend Jim Goodrich, the campus representative for Christian group Athletes in Action who often traveled with the team and conducted bible-study sessions. Per specific instruction from Alford, the victim was invited to what she was told was a “prayer meeting,” at which she was urged to back off and not cause problems for a basketball program that could overpower her.

Don’t make waves, honey, in the name of Jesus. The Lord wants you to shut up, if you know what’s good for you.

According to the official report from the special committee that later investigated the handling of the case after the ugly facts emerged, “The desire to facilitate an informal resolution of the matter may have had the opposite result. The Committee recommends that the Athletic Department take steps to limit the involvement of outside advisors, religious or otherwise.”

The report also slapped down Alford for his boorish public statements trying to defend his player from any criticism. “I totally believe he’s innocent,” Alford affirmed at Big Ten Media Day. “I believed it from day one, and I still believe it.”

He clearly knew otherwise, having already tried to make her go away. Still, he took every opportunity to vouch for Pierce and question the victim, including during an interview with The Boers And Bernstein Show on 670 The Score in 2003. Shortly thereafter, the Chicago Tribune reported “Sources close to the victim say that hearing Alford go out of his way to defend the moral fiber of Pierce these past few months, and turning it into another one of his all-for-one sermons was, in fact, the most painful aspect of trying to move on.”

The school’s report later listed this behavior among its concerns, concluding “While Coach Alford believed he was acting as he had been directed in making the statements he made to the media, one set of those statements – confirming his certainty in Pierce’s innocence – implied that he disbelieved and discredited the claims of the student victim, and his words were perceived as reflecting insensitivity to issues of sexual assault and sexual violence.”

After the plea deal, Alford was also rebuked by Johnson County State’s Attorney Patrick White, who told the Daily Iowan “We have difficulty getting convictions in these kinds of cases because victims are afraid of how they will be treated or how juries will look at them.”

As described in the Tribune story, a furious Alford responded to White’s comments by initiating a phone call that became a shouting match.

And this sweet guy Pierce — the person on whom Alford staked his own, righteous word – was arrested again in 2005. He pled guilty to two charges of first-degree burglary, assault with intent to commit sexual assault, and fourth-degree criminal mischief. He spent 11 months in jail before being released on probation.

Every bit of this information was available to UCLA athletic director Dan Guerrero, who celebrated the introduction of Alford as his new head coach Saturday, calling him “the perfect fit for UCLA.”

“He’s ready for this stage,” Guerrero said. “He’ll handle the expectations with dignity, with understanding and with class.”

I hope this replacement theory happens, but wonder if Holtman and Miller just sweep into the vacuum left by Izzo anyway. It seem that in recruiting, we're already seeing that a bit.

I think we are about to witness the final phase of the glorious peak of Tom Izzo. Dude is 63 - the next 5 years will probably be his last great years

I like Matt Painter's chances of replacing Izzo as the best coach in the BIG. Still only 47 - last year's title and Sweet 16 bought him at least another 4 years leeway to crack the tourney - and I am optimistic that Purdue will better the Sweet 16 by the time this current freshmen class graduates

85% probability the torch passes from Izzo to Painter in the next 5 years
This is beyond moronic, Jeezuz...Izzo is one of the BEST EVER!!! Dumbass! Believe me, when Izzo retires, Michigan State will be able to hire a big time coach to fill his shoes.

Reactions: Iuzach04
This is beyond moronic, Jeezuz...Izzo is one of the BEST EVER!!! Dumbass! Believe me, when Izzo retires, Michigan State will be able to hire a big time coach to fill his shoes.
Hey td75, have you finished your melt down over Brohm staying at Purdue? You made yourself a bit of a laughing stock with your posts on our board, the IU board, and the Louisville board. Maybe MSU will hire Brohm to replace Izzo?

I did not realize you joined the MSU Politically Correct Police force. That's all right. You guys deserve each other.

CMP can continue to rise with IZZO here.....just keep doing what he is doing while continuing to upgrade recruiting.

The two programs I really see rising are ILL and OSU as the recruiting base and coaching philosophies there seem very positive to that outcome.....(baring any unseen rules violation/recruiting baggage).

Izzo just beat OSU at OSU , down their 3rd best player, with a team without any studs. Just sayin

If our alumni paid players like Mich St. he would, hell he beats him without a top 5 class every year.

Who got paid?
I think Izzo has had 1 recruiting violation having to do with a summer job for some coach , paid $500 .

When all the investigations were going on , Izzo was the one coach who didnt pay and dropped out. Sean Miller was in trouble as were others.

Lost out on others he would not pay like Cliff Alexander.

Izzo is about as clean as it gets unless there is some evidence you have

Izzy doesn’t have any studs? What team are you watching? Is your name Helen Keller?

This could be one of MSUs best teams.
Studs meaning top 25 recruited commits.
They have developed but there are NO 5 STARS.

Very good team due to coaching.

Are you Helen Keller?

Hey td75, have you finished your melt down over Brohm staying at Purdue? You made yourself a bit of a laughing stock with your posts on our board, the IU board, and the Louisville board. Maybe MSU will hire Brohm to replace Izzo?

I did not realize you joined the MSU Politically Correct Police force. That's all right. You guys deserve each other.
I had to respond, I mean it's one of the most asinine posts I've personally ever read on a rivals board, and that's saying something!!

Comparing Matt Painter to Tom Izzo?? Get the fvck outta here! Painter is mediocre and everyone knows that, he recruits about as well as a military recruiter walking around an Ivy league campus....

The dude is running on fumes.

Just provide one way Izzo has 'covered up crimes' committed by his basketball players.

Just one. That's all.

Responses of 'google it yourself' or 'do I need to post a deadspin article' do not suffice.

All I want from you is to tell me a single, factual instance, in which Tom Izzo covered up a crime.

Thanks
Here’s your basketball program:

https://deadspin.com/5651355/sexual...state-players-why-arent-charges-being-brought

Sexual Assault Allegations Against Two Michigan State Players: Why Aren't Charges Being Brought?
Barry Petchesky9/29/10 4:05pm
17iskwj5227uijpg.jpg

Two MSU players were accused of sexually assaulting a woman on campus in August. Despite a police recommendation to prosecute, and one of the accused players later corroborating the victim's account, the prosecutor's office will not be pursuing the case.

The two players have not and will not be named, as long as they aren't charged with any crime. And it doesn't look like they ever will be, despite what looks to our untrained eyes like plenty of evidence to go forward.

The woman met the two at a dorm orientation meeting, she says in the police report. After a few drinks she returned to the players' room.

Once in the room, the three started playing basketball using a mini-hoop. When the victim missed a basket, one of the men told her she had to remove an article of clothing. The victim agreed and removed her t-shirt because she had a tank top on underneath.

At this point, the victim says, the players began to deliberately miss baskets until they were stripped "completely naked." One of the men allegedly blocked the doorway to the room, while the other "cornered" the victim in the room.

"[The victim] explained to [detectives] that the body language of [the players] suggested she was not free to leave," the report says. "[Redacted] was blocking any escape path to the exit of the dorm room. [The victim] stated that after [redacted] approached the door he turned the lights in the room off and the room went completely dark. At this point, the sexual assault began."

The victim told police the players penetrated her in various positions. The victim told detectives the players allegedly asked her "how does that feel?" and "how do you want it?" The victim says she told the players she didn't want it and gave "other indicators she was not a willing participant."

The victim told police that the players pinned her down, but at one point she freed her arms momentarily and struck one of the players in the face. The player was on top of her and in response to her hitting him, he allegedly said, "Don't. Just relax. C'mon," as he continued to assault her, the report says.

According to the Ingham County Prosecutor, charging a case like this "requires the element of force and/or coercion," and of the prosecutors who reviewed it, "none could find any of these necessary elements." It's almost like they didn't read the police report.

It gets worse: the MSU Police Department asked for and were granted a search warrant, and removed DNA evidence, clothing and used condoms from the players' room. They also interviewed one of the players (the other declined to speak).

He told investigators that when it was clear from the victim's statements that she did not want to have sex, he stopped. However, the other player continued "despite her reluctance and statements that she did not want to continue."

After all this, MSU Police forwarded their report to the prosecutor's office with a recommendation that the two players be charged with Criminal Sexual Conduct 1, the most serious level of assault.

Prosecutors say the decision not to bring charges was a mutual one, made with the victim's agreement. She denies this, though she admits to being wary of the backlash that inevitably hits anyone accusing athletes of sexual assault.

I worry about what would happen if it didn't go through and having to deal with all the publicity and everything that goes with pursuing charges," she said. "But also I am angry. It's just that everybody looks at them as heroes and they're so excited for basketball season that [the players] get off without anybody caring. They haven't even been punished."

Maybe not in a courtroom. But it's a matter of time before the rumor mill, the media, and public opinion put everyone involved through the wringer.

Like Malik Hall? Or Dawson, or Gary Harris? Or any other recruit Izzo took from Purdue like candy from a baby. The only one he lost was Swanigan - and everyone knows what happened there.

Apparently I am the only one who doesn't know???? My understanding is that Izzo refused to meet Barnes' demand to allow Swanigan to live off campus with his own cook/nutritionist. That is what I was told by an MSU grad?????

Apparently I am the only one who doesn't know???? My understanding is that Izzo refused to meet Barnes' demand to allow Swanigan to live off campus with his own cook/nutritionist. That is what I was told by an MSU grad?????

This is bull made up by iu and MSU fanboys

This is bull made up by iu and MSU fanboys
Doesn't matter. Painter will miss the tourney this year and Izzo is going on 22 straight. This thread is bad and you all should feel bad. If posting espn/deadspin trash articles makes you feel better tha more power to ya. Pretty sure if izzo was covering up rape he would be in deep crap with the AG, considering the whole university is under investigation and both the football and basketball programs have been cleared.. On wisconsin!

Reactions: boilerupmoose3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT