ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue football Fall practice No. 3 deep-dive analysis

Tom_GoldandBlack.com

All-American
Staff
Jan 16, 2002
5d45d8c4dbaa0-_DSC18752896.jpg

OK, here we go ...

1. The team was in full pads for the first time. Finally! Football, right? There were some nice hits during controlled scrimmage portions of today's workout under a blazing mid-North Indiana sun. And, there even was a dust-up between S Jalen Graham and RB Tario Fuller. God, I love dust-ups. And I really like typing "dust-up."

2. Speaking of Jalen Graham, he is A-OK after colliding with a camera mount on the west sideline on Friday. Today, there was a giant pad covering the camera mount that Graham ran into yesterday.

3. Purdue was missing key personnel, including WRs Rondale Moore, Mershawn Rice and David Bell. All were at practice to watch. Rice was seen with ice on the back of his left leg at practice yesterday. Bell has a hamstring issue. Not sure what was up with Moore. OL Mark Stickford was in a boot. He has a stress fracture. I also didn't see frosh LB Crishawn Long.

4. Oscar Brohm was at the last two practices. He loves to drive up to watch and see his grandchildren. He told some great stories about Jeff Brohm's baseball prowess, as well as his speed. Several MLB teams made big pushes back in the day to get Jeff to commit to baseball. Great hitter with a powerful right arm.

5. For those of you who love punting, and I do, freshman Brooks Cormier and sophomore Zac Collins are battling to replace Joe Schopper. The 6-5 Cormier just looks like a stud. He can boom it. Collins has a nice leg and can execute a rugby-style kick if needed.

6. Junior Jackson Anthrop has become lost in the shadows in some ways, what with all of this boffo freshman WR talent pouring onto campus. But don't forget about No. 33. He looked good today. At one time, he made a catch that saw him pin the ball between his knees. It's the early candidate for "Camp Catch of the Year." It was sensational. Anthrop is looking good. I have to think he will play a nice role of some sort.

7. Couldn't help not to notice the massive tattoo on Ben Holt's torso. I asked him about it after practice. He lifted his jersey and said the artwork is of St. Michael, a wise man and two family crests. "I need to get more money to finish it," he told me. Spencer Evans would be proud.

8. The No. 1 o-line remained the same as Friday: LT Grant Hermanns; LG Alex Criddle; C Viktor Beach; RG DJ Washington; RT Matt McCann. The No. 2 o-line: LT Eric Miller; LG Marc Roland; C Sam Garvin; RG Jimmy McKenna; RT Will Bramel. I saw o-line coach Dale Williams throw his hat only once.

9. Lots of "celebrities" on the sidelines today: In addition to Oscar Brohm, there was football sideline reporter and ex-Boiler OT Kelly Kitchel, former DC Greg Hudson, football color man and ex-star center Pete Quinn and even the "Big O," Orlando Itin, who runs Bruno's in the Levee. Is there a bigger Purdue fan in this universe than Orlando? Nope. Affable play-by-play man Tim Newton also has been around.

10. Quinn mentioned this is the 40th anniversary of the 1979 Purdue team that won 10 games. It's the only time in school history that has been done. He says the players remain close today. Players included Mark Herrmann, Bart Burrell, Dave Young, Steve McKenzie, Marcus Jackson, James Looney, Calvin Clark, Ken Loushin, Wayne Smith, Tim Seneff, Bill Kay, Mike Augustyniak and Keena Turner, among others. What a team. Purdue went 10-2 overall and 7-1 in the Big Ten, finishing second to 8-0 Ohio State.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News