ADVERTISEMENT

Extremely disappointed in every aspect of this team

HUD628

Senior
Apr 11, 2007
I have been a supporter of Walters and this staff, and will continue to be, but this is ridiculous. He absolutely did not get this team ready to play. Team was totally flat. Harrell’s game plan was terrible. He really thought he was just going to drop Card back all game and have him pick apart that defense, and did nothing to adjust and try to ease the pressure.

The players have no fire, no heart whatsoever. There is no effort. Can’t block, can’t tackle. Don’t look like they care.

I don’t think it is really as bad as it seems today though. I knew ND losing that game last week was bad news for us. That is an extremely talented team that is pissed of and desperate. They kicked our ass and we took it meekly.

Just so disappointed in the lack of preparation and lack of heart today.

I have been a supporter of Walters and this staff, and will continue to be, but this is ridiculous. He absolutely did not get this team ready to play. Team was totally flat. Harrell’s game plan was terrible. He really thought he was just going to drop Card back all game and have him pick apart that defense, and did nothing to adjust and try to ease the pressure.

The players have no fire, no heart whatsoever. There is no effort. Can’t block, can’t tackle. Don’t look like they care.

I don’t think it is really as bad as it seems today though. I knew ND losing that game last week was bad news for us. That is an extremely talented team that is pissed of and desperate. They kicked our ass and we took it meekly.

Just so disappointed in the lack of preparation and lack of heart today.
I saw the same problems a lot last year in our losses. There were multiple games we spotted teams 14 points from the first whistle and didn't look ready to go. In those games, we finally seemed to get it together a bit and compete. Unfortunately never happened today, but this staff seems to have trouble getting the guys fired up and ready to go from the start.

I saw the same problems a lot last year in our losses. There were multiple games we spotted teams 14 points from the first whistle and didn't look ready to go. In those games, we finally seemed to get it together a bit and compete. Unfortunately never happened today, but this staff seems to have trouble getting the guys fired up and ready to go from the start.
Big10 is not a great testing ground for wet behind the ears coaches with gimmicky schemes.

Big10 is not a great testing ground for wet behind the ears coaches with gimmicky schemes.
Agree on the experience part but Tiller's offense was viewed as gimmicky coming into Purdue and Brohm had some offensive innovation and a lot of trick plays that perhaps could be construed as gimmicky by some. There's a fine line between innovative and gimmicky and it's probably just whether or not it works.

Agree on the experience part but Tiller's offense was viewed as gimmicky coming into Purdue and Brohm had some offensive innovation and a lot of trick plays that perhaps could be construed as gimmicky by some. There's a fine line between innovative and gimmicky and it's probably just whether or not it works.
They both had a much longer track record of success and were head coaches.

I don’t. Crazy things happen in sports sometimes. I’ve seen a Purdue team crush Ohio St by 3 TDs and get dog walked just like this by 6 win Auburn team that fired their coach after the game. ND is a top 10 team talent wise and they put some extra stank on it today because they were embarrassed, angry, and desperate after last week.

Reactions: RossMackey
Agree. Like I said. Experience. They both came here confident in who they were as a coach.
We got fortunate with brohm. Purdue may have to hire a guy a little long in the tooth who scores points and can bring some people with him. It won't be sexy but when has Purdue been sexy. Hazzel and walters were never going to work out. It was just a matter of how bad it would get. Agree on hope from previous post. He got a raw deal and honestly if Purdue was going to take a chance on a defensive guy with no head coaching experience it should have been spack. Anyway, I would prefer a guy a little long in the tooth with success at a lower level.....they always seem to work out ok at places like purdue.

If they don't fire Walters end of season, minimum they need new coordinators.

Find two innovative up and coming guys, go all in on the young coach train.

Because these coordinators aren't it.

Also, need better line recruiting and coaching. These lines are putrid. Same for linebacker.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER

Also, need better line recruiting and coaching. These lines are putrid. Same for linebacker.
At this point it's a financial decision. They could give him the hope treatment and hire a couple duds from big programs that everyone will get excited about cheap. Then plan past 25.

We got fortunate with brohm. Purdue may have to hire a guy a little long in the tooth who scores points and can bring some people with him. It won't be sexy but when has Purdue been sexy. Hazzel and walters were never going to work out. It was just a matter of how bad it would get. Agree on hope from previous post. He got a raw deal and honestly if Purdue was going to take a chance on a defensive guy with no head coaching experience it should have been spack. Anyway, I would prefer a guy a little long in the tooth with success at a lower level.....they always seem to work out ok at places like purdue.
The more I ponder this, the more I’m convinced that Brohm played us like a Stradivarius…
He cut his chops, burnishing his reputation against elite competition at Purdue, until the time when the Cards and their endless cream puff schedule would be on their knees begging with open coffers for the prodigal son to return in glory….

Seven to nine wins annually guaranteed in the ACC and they name the stadium after him Upon retirement!

The more I ponder this, the more I’m convinced that Brohm played us like a Stradivarius…
He cut his chops, burnishing his reputation against elite competition at Purdue, until the time when the Cards and their endless cream puff schedule would be on their knees begging with open coffers for the prodigal son to return in glory….

Seven to nine wins annually guaranteed in the ACC and they name the stadium after him Upon retirement!
He was always going back to the ville I agree. Everyone knew. When u have a coach constantly eyeing other jobs recruiting suffers. Bobo screwed up by not having a solid plan after brohm.. he had to do whatever he could to keep him and I don't fault him for what happened with brohm just allowing his brother to coach bowl games and really no plan to back fill him. Brohm had him by the balls.

Blaming Brohm 2 games in. lol.

He hasn’t been here for 21 months.

I’m sure it’s his fault our guys can’t tackle.

They showed the stat on 1st quarter scoring and it we abysmal.

Jenkins isn’t working out as a linebacker, need one with some speed

It's his fault the cupboard was barely yes. It's Walters fault they didn't show effort or discipline.
He had some good players that left at their discretion. Walters brought in most of the players on this roster, many as transfers. Would love to have brohm here still.

Reactions: pboiler18
It's his fault the cupboard was barely yes. It's Walters fault they didn't show effort or discipline.
Is the cupboard bare or does the coaching just make it look that way? I remember everyone saying that about Hazell and Brohm came in and got to a bowl game in year one.

And that was prior to NIL and the transfer era we are in now kicked in. There aren't going to be any coaches in major college programs that will be afforded the opportunity to take three years and build from the ground up anymore.

Is the cupboard bare or does the coaching just make it look that way? I remember everyone saying that about Hazell and Brohm came in and got to a bowl game in year one.

And that was prior to NIL and the transfer era we are in now kicked in. There aren't going to be any coaches in major college programs that will be afforded the opportunity to take three years and build from the ground up anymore.
His defense is shit. Need more speed and when you play a team running it down your throats with a qb that hasn't proven he can throw it down the field with a safety 30 yards back....you are a complete bufoon.

His defense is shit. Need more speed and when you play a team running it down your throats with a qb that hasn't proven he can throw it down the field with a safety 30 yards back....you are a complete bufoon.
But that was his area of expertise no? Wish I could remember his quote last year about how he and his defensive coaching staff were the best in the country or something along those lines.

I remember him saying that, and then I remember thinking his defenses at Illinois weren’t that great and Brohm cut them to pieces.
Yeah. That great defense he had at Illinois may have had as much to do with the putrid offenses in the Big Ten West as any scheme he put them in. Like you said, our passing game never struggled against it.

Reactions: Boiler8285
Blaming Brohm 2 games in. lol.

He hasn’t been here for 21 months.

I’m sure it’s his fault our guys can’t tackle.
To be clear:

The debacle today is TOTALLY the fault of CRW and Bobinski.

Having said that , I’m amazed by the ongoing fellatio of a coach who disingenuously played us in order to burnish his reputation, then clumsily bolted, leaving the program he rebuilt in disarray.

Should Bobo have pivoted better? Absolutely- but that was a totally shitty move by Brohm, and all this posthumous adoration of a guy who quit on Purdue ignores this reality.

Walters became a star at Illinois because he was gifted five future NFL draft picks in his backfield (including the #3 overall pick, and three others who went in the 3rd round or better). And he didn’t recruit a single one of those players; he inherited every single one. That will make any DC/Safeties coach look like a star. Without that talent he doesn’t look like much.

The other problem with hiring a young coordinator is he doesn’t have any connections or ways to fill out his staff. He hired the parts of Bret’s staff that Bret didn’t try to retain, and otherwise had to fill the rest with whoever would answer the phone and say yes.

I love Ryan, but he’s in over his head. I think he can still succeed but he’s got to make some big changes.

Walters became a star at Illinois because he was gifted five future NFL draft picks in his backfield (including the #3 overall pick, and three others who went in the 3rd round or better). And he didn’t recruit a single one of those players; he inherited every single one. That will make any DC/Safeties coach look like a star. Without that talent he doesn’t look like much.

The other problem with hiring a young coordinator is he doesn’t have any connections or ways to fill out his staff. He hired the parts of Bret’s staff that Bret didn’t try to retain, and otherwise had to fill the rest with whoever would answer the phone and say yes.

I love Ryan, but he’s in over his head. I think he can still succeed but he’s got to make some big changes.
Fair.

The front was just as important. Newton was awesome and Randolph was pretty damn good too. We just have a group of guys up front who look like Tarzan and play like Jane

The front was just as important. Newton was awesome and Randolph was pretty damn good too. We just have a group of guys up front who look like Tarzan and play like Jane
Yes, they were good too. But that’s just reiterating my point. Walters inherited a team full of future NFL players and schemed them well. That’s very different than being the HC. He can still succeed, but he’s going to have to make a bunch of changes. He burned a lot of bridges when he exited Mizzou and Illinois, so he doesn’t exactly have a deep list of former colleagues and contacts he can lean on for help either.

Yes, the cupboard is pretty bare in key positions.
We started the offseason before Brohm left concerned about the defense and the oline, and to a certain extent QB and WR.
I certainly remember those conversations.

Brohm brought some key players, including on the oline from WKU. That plus a not too difficult schedule got us to 6 wins. Brohm did not face either last year's or this year's schedule his first two seasons. If he had, he wouldn't have gotten to a bowl game either.

Walters wasn't so lucky, and the oline, dline, lbs this year are pretty bereft and they mostly were last year too. There's a reason this defense was bottom basement last season and it wasn't simply because "scheme."

Now, the effort, discipline and just utter lack of execution out there today? That's obviously on the coaching staff.
Two things can be true, the talent level can be subpar, and the coaching can be insufficient to get that talent to perform.
Also, as good as I think this staff has been at recruiting skill positions, they've been equally unsuccessful in recruiting both lines and the LBs. There's not a lot of NFL talent there, if any. Of course, those positions take the most time, but nothing I've seen so far says we have high talent in the two deeps.

It’s year 2. Coaches can turn entire rosters over by their 2nd year, in the portal era.

Stupid move to have a head coach learning on the job in the B1G.
I'm sorry but no. This isn't basketball. This is football, and it's football against a top ten schedule for the second year in a row. People are in the portal for a reason, and it's usually not because they were super successful in their prior teams. And since we are not breaking the bank with NIL, we ain't buying our way to stars like some teams do and can. So we are getting a lot of second chance players, and there's a reason they needed a second chance usually.
There's a whole lot of teams going into that portal, and a whole lot of them are spending bigger bucks than we are to do it.
You can bring whatever coach you want, as long as we are going to be cheap, we are going to require a coach to get players to overperform instead of spending some money and getting players ready to perform.

Fire Walters, that's fine, but the next guy coming in is likely to struggle, in part BECAUSE of the portal and because we aren't monetarily competitive.

2 years later it’s invalid.
that's just nonsense. It's not been two years later by the way, it's been one season plus two games. Brohm barely got to 6 wins against a much weaker schedule his first two season. You think he gets to 6 wins with these schedules? I don't. Now does the team lose a little better? Yes. But just like Brohm took four seasons to get to quality teams, any new coach is going to need that time. And it's going to be fragile because if that coach just gives up on recruiting his last two seasons like Brohm did, it's real easy to fall off a cliff.

You want to blame scheme, and you think talent isn't an issue. You're wrong on both. Talent is a problem, and it's bad enough that scheme doesn't matter. We weren't outschemed today, we were overpowered, outquicked and just beatdown by better, stronger and faster players at every position...particularly on the line.

Now maybe an experienced coach brings along a couple of his own players to patch holes like Brohm did, but then again, no guarantee there.

Ultimately, Walters can't survive if he doesn't figure out how to make up for the talent deficits. I don't think he has the coordinators to do that ultimately on either side of the ball. They want to play normal on offense (few gimmicks, our best against your best straight up) and man to man on defense, but we don't have the talent on either line to do that, or at linebacker. We haven't had a lot of good linebackers for awhile, even before Walters. CBs and Safeties seem talented but if the front 7 suck, it doesn't matter. QB, WR, RBs and TE seem talented, but if the oline can't run block and can't pass block, and they were putrid at both today and really not stellar against ISU IMO, then it doesn't matter.

So you have two options:

Fire em all. Which fine, you can do that, but you're still left with all the same talent issues, and no those aren't going to just be "portal'ed" away in one or two seasons.

Get better coordinators, more innovative and better recruiters for both lines and LBs OR break open the damn piggy bank and pay for some impact players on the lines and at LB.

If you have good lines and LBs, your team looks a whole lot better regardless of who your coach is. So this program has to figure out how to make that happen. And quite frankly, it's only going to happen with money, lots of money, and we don't want to spend that money.

• Haha
He had some good players that left at their discretion. Walters brought in most of the players on this roster, many as transfers. Would love to have brohm here still.
Well, first of all Brohm left. He wasn't fired, he wasn't kicked out. He left. And he was planning on leaving all along. His recruiting the last two years shows it. So yeah, Walters HAD to bring in most of the players on this roster, many as transfers BECAUSE there wasn't a roster filled with talent. And that meant going around and finding a bunch of second chance players who didn't work out at their first school. And that approach is extremely iffy.

And I agree with others, this huge defense of Brohm, as the guy who utterly screwed us is ridiculous, regardless of whether or not you like Walters.

Brohm knew he was leaving, which is why his last two classes were low rated. He was heading out the door, he just needed to ride a great QB and receivers long enough to still be attractive to UL. He left us with nothing, and took several players we could have used.

This was going to be a rebuild no matter who we hired. We are a historically mediocre football program with plenty of bad seasons. We weren't just going to "reload." It was always going to take time, and quite possibly multiple coaching staffs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT