ADVERTISEMENT

Evans/Dellinger

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
I like that we are looking to possibly redshirt Dellinger this year if Evans wins the #1 spot. I did not like us constantly rotating our PK duties last year. It never allowed either kicker to get into a rhythm. It also gives Dellinger 2 more years to play.

same! good strategy if he's cool with it. Never fun when you graduate a good experienced K, this would buy us 3 years of general stability

Reactions: pboiler18
. . . and, with the new redshirt rule, you can use him multiple times in an emergency if needed and still preserve his redshirt. Looks like a no-brainer if the kid is willing to stay another year on the back end.

I like that we are looking to possibly redshirt Dellinger this year if Evans wins the #1 spot. I did not like us constantly rotating our PK duties last year. It never allowed either kicker to get into a rhythm. It also gives Dellinger 2 more years to play.
Not sure if giving Dellinger two more years to play is a good thing?????

It's pretty common for kickers and punters to be walk-ons, even the starting kickers. Many schools won't have more than 1 on scholarship at any given time. There's also a 2019 K commit.

It's pretty common for kickers and punters to be walk-ons, even the starting kickers. Many schools won't have more than 1 on scholarship at any given time. There's also a 2019 K commit.
It is in the SEC. Its been more common in the big ten to have both kicker and punter on scholarship from the get go.

This is probably a good idea if it happens. I haven't liked the flip-flopping of kickers at all. Gives Evans more confidence and lets Dellinger continue to work toward 2019. I imagine the recruit Cormier either beats Dellinger for the job next year or redshirts himself so there should only be one year of overlap right?

Reactions: ejs1111
This is probably a good idea if it happens. I haven't liked the flip-flopping of kickers at all. Gives Evans more confidence and lets Dellinger continue to work toward 2019. I imagine the recruit Cormier either beats Dellinger for the job next year or redshirts himself so there should only be one year of overlap right?
I think he is a punter

Reactions: Mullah
Listed as a K on this site. Maybe he does both, which makes a little more sense from the scholarship aspect of things.

Listed as a K on this site. Maybe he does both, which makes a little more sense from the scholarship aspect of things.
He is a kicker now but was recruited as a punter. Not sure how much punting he does now. Guess the coaches see somehting in him as a punter.

I have a feeling once he arrives, he'll be our new kicker beating out Dellinger. I know what the coach speak is. He was a great kicker in high school now and not a punter and college coaches have a tendency to lie to the media. By the time he arrives, Dellinger will be an afterthought and Brohm will find a walk-on punter.

To me it is not logical to give a scholarship to a high school kicker who is an awesome kicker and then declare he will be our future punter - a position he's never played. We shall see how the story unfolds.

I have a feeling once he arrives, he'll be our new kicker beating out Dellinger. I know what the coach speak is. He was a great kicker in high school now and not a punter and college coaches have a tendency to lie to the media. By the time he arrives, Dellinger will be an afterthought and Brohm will find a walk-on punter.

To me it is not logical to give a scholarship to a high school kicker who is an awesome kicker and then declare he will be our future punter - a position he's never played. We shall see how the story unfolds.

A lot of players change positions once they get to college. Why doesn’t it make sense for a kicker to change to a punter?

He is a kicker now but was recruited as a punter. Not sure how much punting he does now. Guess the coaches see somehting in him as a punter.
You do realize that there isn't a difference on recruiting sites for P and K, right? Who says the kid hasn't punted? I can't imagine a kid only being the place kicker at a high school program outside of a place like Trinity or some of the larger programs in Texas, Florida, or California.

You do realize that there isn't a difference on recruiting sites for P and K, right? Who says the kid hasn't punted? I can't imagine a kid only being the place kicker at a high school program outside of a place like Trinity or some of the larger programs in Texas, Florida, or California.
I went to the Penn versus Valparaiso game last week and both teams had different punters and kickers.

If you read more than one recruiting site and or his posts, you'd know he is just a kicker and also one of the best kickers in the country. My logic is if you don't like Dellinger and you have an awesome kicker arriving in 2019, why try to transform him into being a mediocre punter? Why not let him do what he does best?

And yes, most high school teams have a different punter and kicker

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT