ADVERTISEMENT

Eric Anderson (IU player 1992 grad)

Very sorry to hear that......yes, sometimes we lose sight of what really matters, and it's unfortunate that it takes something like this to be a reminder. Prayers to his family. RIP, Eric Anderson.

Reactions: tjreese
passed away this weekend. I know he was a rival player. 48 yrs old.
Makes you realize all this message board stuff and losing close games, isn't always as important as we think it is. Godspeed to his family. Way too young.
Wow... that's sad. It seems alot of former IU players have passed away to soon. Neil Reid, Jason Collier, Eric Anderson... I'm sure there are others I'm missing.

Wow... that's sad. It seems alot of former IU players have passed away to soon. Neil Reid, Jason Collier, Eric Anderson... I'm sure there are others I'm missing.
Daryl Thomas earlier this year. Another one of the good guys, real hard working kid that fought through some tough yrs under RMK.

Makes you realize all this message board stuff and losing close games, isn't always as important as we think it is. Godspeed to his family. Way too young.
That’s really sad. Does he leave behind a wife and kids?

That’s really sad. Does he leave behind a wife and kids?

He had a son. I haven’t seen anything about a wife (maybe divorced?). Brian Evans has a nice comment about Eric as a father:

"I’ll remember Eric for the way he approached fatherhood," said Hoosiers teammate Brian Evans. "I’ve never seen a person more devoted to another person in my life, as Eric was to his son, Sam. The love he displayed will stick with me the rest of my life."

Reactions: PU pit bull
Good guy. I know Keady recruited him.

Bless his family.

What happened to William Gladness?
Gladness, a former volunteer boys coach at Fayetteville Christian, died suddenly Friday afternoon at Springdale Hospital after being taken to the emergency room with flu-like symptoms. Craig, who took Gladness to the hospital, said Gladness, 34, seemed fine until complaining about a headache Thursday night.

Craig said Gladness' death was apparently a bacterial infection made worse because Gladness had his spleen removed after being shot in high school. Gladness' funeral is scheduled for 11: 30 a.m. today at Life Harvester Church in Fayetteville, with burial at noon Friday at Paradise Gardens in Edmondson.

"He did so many things people don't know about," said Craig, who taught alongside Gladness at the Ozark Guidance Center. "Things he did went unnoticed and unheard of. He didn't need to be recognized.

" He was special to so many people. He had a lot of best friends. He could be that to everybody." Doliza Reyes-Bibbs said one of Gladness' last acts was symbolic of what kind of character he had. Reyes-Bibbs said Gladness learned after school Thursday that one of his students would skip the next week of school because his guardian couldn't afford gasoline.

Gladness drove with the guardian to a local gas station and paid $ 50 to fill the car's tank. Less than 24 hours later, Gladness was dead.

"It's absolutely a shock," said Reyes-Bibbs, the director for the Early Childhood Development at the Ozark Guidance Center. "His kids loved and adored him. He's going to be greatly missed. All he wanted to do was help kids." The 6-8 Gladness didn't play high school basketball in West Memphis but became a junior college All-America center at Carl Albert State in Oklahoma. He later played at Indiana for Bob Knight and played professionally in Europe.

wow, very sad to hear. RIP

I caught a bit of the Knight 30/30 a few weeks back. Had no idea Neil Reid AND Jason Collier died, not sure how I missed both or maybe just forgot. That's a lot of guys dying very young. Always tragic to hear, very sad.

Gladness, a former volunteer boys coach at Fayetteville Christian, died suddenly Friday afternoon at Springdale Hospital after being taken to the emergency room with flu-like symptoms. Craig, who took Gladness to the hospital, said Gladness, 34, seemed fine until complaining about a headache Thursday night.

Craig said Gladness' death was apparently a bacterial infection made worse because Gladness had his spleen removed after being shot in high school. Gladness' funeral is scheduled for 11: 30 a.m. today at Life Harvester Church in Fayetteville, with burial at noon Friday at Paradise Gardens in Edmondson.

"He did so many things people don't know about," said Craig, who taught alongside Gladness at the Ozark Guidance Center. "Things he did went unnoticed and unheard of. He didn't need to be recognized.

" He was special to so many people. He had a lot of best friends. He could be that to everybody." Doliza Reyes-Bibbs said one of Gladness' last acts was symbolic of what kind of character he had. Reyes-Bibbs said Gladness learned after school Thursday that one of his students would skip the next week of school because his guardian couldn't afford gasoline.

Gladness drove with the guardian to a local gas station and paid $ 50 to fill the car's tank. Less than 24 hours later, Gladness was dead.

"It's absolutely a shock," said Reyes-Bibbs, the director for the Early Childhood Development at the Ozark Guidance Center. "His kids loved and adored him. He's going to be greatly missed. All he wanted to do was help kids." The 6-8 Gladness didn't play high school basketball in West Memphis but became a junior college All-America center at Carl Albert State in Oklahoma. He later played at Indiana for Bob Knight and played professionally in Europe.

Wow, I missed when that happened. There have been some good guys that played under Knight at IU.

Correct. Collier was only 28 when died of enlarged heart in the off season while with the Atlanta Hawks. Just awful...

Think Reed was only mid-30's when he had his massive heart attack. Saw the 30 for 30 where he was a much loved teacher in CA.

Gladness passed from some kind of infection that was complicated due to having no spleen, which was removed previously due to a GSW. Very sad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT