ADVERTISEMENT

Embarrassing Our State...

This should surprise anyone. iu bb fans are obsessed in a weird sort of way. Sort of like when Crean used to tweet to recruits that "I'm thinking about you.... a lot."

My favorite is when iu fans show up at a kids high school game waving iu flags. Seriously? You don't have anything better to do with your time? Loosiers.

Even as an IU fan myself, I do think the antics of the Hoosier Hysterics guys are too much. I don't mind fans making some social media comments to recruits telling them to come to their school. Kids like that, they love the attention and it shows them how plugged in fans are at certian schools.

However, these guys took it too far. They took it to creepy level. And they are not the norm for IU fans. If you look at their posts, there are quite a few comments from fellow IU fans telling them to stop because it's embarrassing. I agree it's embarrassing, but don't lump all IU fans into that group.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Even as an IU fan myself, I do think the antics of the Hoosier Hysterics guys are too much. I don't mind fans making some social media comments to recruits telling them to come to their school. Kids like that, they love the attention and it shows them how plugged in fans are at certian schools.

However, these guys took it too far. They took it to creepy level. And they are not the norm for IU fans. If you look at their posts, there are quite a few comments from fellow IU fans telling them to stop because it's embarrassing. I agree it's embarrassing, but don't lump all IU fans into that group.

Sorry buddy. As a self admitted iu fan, you get lumped in with the rest of the douche bags.

All iu fans are like that. They follow rabdork and pigs like they are gods. They are a sad bunch of fans living in the glory days.

Reactions: milkdude
It is a good article. Social media has gotten way out of hand in multiple ways.

Remember all the hate that was on social media from UL fans when Brohm decided to stay with us last year. There was even someone that threatened to blow up his and Rondale's high school. Fans seem to forget that this is suppose to be entertainment and fun, not life or death.

Unfortunately, there are many that take it to the extreme. It is the world we live in anymore.

Reactions: jindy
This should surprise anyone. iu bb fans are obsessed in a weird sort of way. Sort of like when Crean used to tweet to recruits that "I'm thinking about you.... a lot."

My favorite is when iu fans show up at a kids high school game waving iu flags. Seriously? You don't have anything better to do with your time? Loosiers.

Tweeting at 17 year old boys and begging them to come to a school you probably didn’t even attend is a loser move. Sorry.

Sorry, dude. You seem like a good guy, but while no one is "lump(ing) all IU fans into that group", there are too many stories to tell about encounters with IU fans.

As a Purdue fan coming out of college, I had my college pride, for sure. I was a proud Purdue alum, but never thought of berating people I knew who were IU fans. NEVER.

But, upon graduating and moving to Indy, I couldn't believe the sheer arrogance of IU fans, and unbridled hatred for anyone who was a fan of Purdue. I've had beer thrown on me, vulgar messages on my voicemail, my property defaced, and more. Those were acquaintances who just couldn't control themselves! To be clear, they were people I knew, people who knew ME, but couldn't control themselves and their behavior. These weren't total strangers!

I relish every article like this, because yours is a fan base that is, overall, both delusional and psychotic.

To be fair, I have friends who are IU grads. No doubt there are sane, rational IU grads. But there's something VERY different, when it comes to IU fans...

EDIT: This is why I chuckle at, and have no problem with, the "IU SUCKS" chant.

I have several family members who are IU fans. They didn’t attend the university but they associate with the school anyway. We always have a fun dialog, and it never goes over the edge, thank goodness. The really manic IU fans I try to avoid. You can’t learn anything from them, and will lower your IQ even talking with them.

I have not encountered the level of weird fanaticism from any other university, except OSU, which has its own set of weirdos.

Last edited:

Those people are just plain idiots, and way beyond the pale.
I'm NOT defending iu or it's fans but unfortunately every school has it's share of nut-job fans who go over the top, just not as many or as candy-striped- crazy as the ones cited. Remember the fan who poisoned trees in Auburn(?).
Now, given even a quasi and very limited defense of iu I'm going to go take a shower and wash with bleach.

Sorry, dude. You seem like a good guy, but while no one is "lump(ing) all IU fans into that group", there are too many stories to tell about encounters with IU fans.

As a Purdue fan coming out of college, I had my college pride, for sure. I was a proud Purdue alum, but never thought of berating people I knew who were IU fans. NEVER.

But, upon graduating and moving to Indy, I couldn't believe the sheer arrogance of IU fans, and unbridled hatred for anyone who was a fan of Purdue. I've had beer thrown on me, vulgar messages on my voicemail, my property defaced, and more. Those were acquaintances who just couldn't control themselves! To be clear, they were people I knew, people who knew ME, but couldn't control themselves and their behavior. These weren't total strangers!

I relish every article like this, because yours is a fan base that is, overall, both delusional and psychotic.

To be fair, I have friends who are IU grads. No doubt there are sane, rational IU grads. But there's something VERY different, when it comes to IU fans...

EDIT: This is why I chuckle at, and have no problem with, the "IU SUCKS" chant.

I’m sorry you’ve had so many bad encounters with IU fans. There are plenty of bad and stupid ones for sure. I think most fanbases have those, and the larger the fan base the more you’ll have, so I’m not surprised. I would never think of doing those things to Purdue fans. I’ll argue with them and debate sports, but that’s as far as I’ll go.

I’m an Engineer myself, with a Purdue degree from Purdue-Ft. Wayne. I get a lot of flack from fellow Engineers about being an IU fan. But my dad grew up in southern Indiana before moving to Ft. Wayne, and I grew up a fan just like him, so it’s ingrained in me. I’ll never be a Purdue fan, and I’ll root against them in most circumstances, but I won’t treat them badly.

All iu fans are like that. They follow rabdork and pigs like they are gods. They are a sad bunch of fans living in the glory days.
No, they aren’t. I couldn’t care less about Rabjohns and Peegs. Now I do love Inside The Hall and am part of their premium forum. But I feel like the fans there are more classy than most. Again, we’re not all the same, and to think so is ignorant.

I’m an Engineer myself, with a Purdue degree from Purdue-Ft. Wayne. I get a lot of flack from fellow Engineers about being an IU fan. But my dad grew up in southern Indiana before moving to Ft. Wayne, and I grew up a fan just like him, so it’s ingrained in me. I’ll never be a Purdue fan, and I’ll root against them in most circumstances, but I won’t treat them badly.
You should get a lot of flack. If you really do have a Purdue degree, you are a Boilermaker, not a hoosier. Why would you root against yourself? I grew up in South Bend, part of several generations that grew up there as big notre dame fans, and Catholic no less. The day I left for Purdue I through all my nd gear in the trash and have never felt better. I'm part of something bigger because Purdue is a part of me and I'm a part of the university. I love Purdue and that includes all Purdue athletics.

I knew one guy at Purdue that tried to maintain his iu fandom, which was weird because his older brother was a good friend of mine at school and naturally a huge Purdue fan like the rest of us. I only knew that kid his freshman year, so I'm not sure if he finally switched to the right team. We mercilessly teased him. He was a complete idiot, and now unfortunately when you post ill have that image of that guy in my head.

You should get a lot of flack. If you really do have a Purdue degree, you are a Boilermaker, not a hoosier. Why would you root against yourself? I grew up in South Bend, part of several generations that grew up there as big notre dame fans, and Catholic no less. The day I left for Purdue I through all my nd gear in the trash and have never felt better. I'm part of something bigger because Purdue is a part of me and I'm a part of the university. I love Purdue and that includes all Purdue athletics.

I knew one guy at Purdue that tried to maintain his iu fandom, which was weird because his older brother was a good friend of mine at school and naturally a huge Purdue fan like the rest of us. I only knew that kid his freshman year, so I'm not sure if he finally switched to the right team. We mercilessly teased him. He was a complete idiot, and now unfortunately when you post ill have that image of that guy in my head.
Well like I said, I went to Purdue Fort Wayne, and it really didn’t feel like Purdue at all. You can get an IU or Purdue degree there, but since I was Engineering, it was a Purdue degree. A large number of people around here are IU fans, so it didn’t really matter. I’ve been an IU fan ever since I can remember, and I love it, so why would I change that? If I could have gotten a good Engineering degree at IU, I would have.

To be fair, I’ve seen stuff on social media from Purdue fans to recruits that I didn’t like either. Not nearly as bad as what was in the article but still cringed a little. I think people need to chill out on social media in general. I’m a Purdue fan btw

To be fair, I’ve seen stuff on social media from Purdue fans to recruits that I didn’t like either. Not nearly as bad as what was in the article but still cringed a little. I think people need to chill out on social media in general. I’m a Purdue fan btw

with all due respect, nobody was being unfair. This has been a major issue from the IU fan base for years.

with all due respect, nobody was being unfair. This has been a major issue from the IU fan base for years.
Yeah, I absolutely agree it’s a larger problem with IU than most other schools. The stuff they talked about in the article was pretty damn creepy and inappropriate. I guess what I was getting at when talking about fairness is lumping in all IU fans. I’m just saying I personally don’t like the idea of the dumbest, loudest, individuals in a fan base representing the whole. I’m sure plenty if not all IU fans agree with what this article says.

Reactions: mathboy
Yeah, I absolutely agree it’s a larger problem with IU than most other schools. The stuff they talked about in the article was pretty damn creepy and inappropriate. I guess what I was getting at when talking about fairness is lumping in all IU fans. I’m just saying I personally don’t like the idea of the dumbest, loudest, individuals in a fan base representing the whole. I’m sure plenty if not all IU fans agree with what this article says.
We get it big Jon. You’re trying to be diplomatic and magnanimous. It’s not appreciated.

I think that's his whole point. There are posters on here that are dumb and loud, but then the logic doesn't follow that ALL Purdue fans are dumb and loud.

That's a lame defense.

I don't recall anywhere that someone said "all".

The point is, was, and continues to be, IU has had a problem with their fan base for many years.

If you have an issue with the reporting, (by the way, kudos to IDS) take it up with the IDS.

That's a lame defense.

I don't recall anywhere that someone said "all".

The point is, was, and continues to be, IU has had a problem with their fan base for many years.

If you have an issue with the reporting, (by the way, kudos to IDS) take it up with the IDS.

Well there were these two posts....
Sorry buddy. As a self admitted iu fan, you get lumped in with the rest of the douche bags.

And yes, I agree, IU fans can get out of hand, they have been known to trash players and recruits. So have fans of other schools. I think you see a lot of it from IU fans first of all because there are a lot of IU fans. It’s a large fan base, so more loonies. Also, you notice it and take note of it more than others because it’s IU, and you’re a Purdue fan. I take special note of ridiculous and unclassy Purdue fans too. You can find it right here on this site with many fans that trash Nojel, his mom, and other players that aren’t good enough to make them happy. Don’t notice it from other schools as much because it doesn’t stick out to me like it does with rival fans. My point is, IU fans aren’t much worse than any other fans, there’s just a lot of them, and it sticks out like a sore thumb to Purdue fans.

And yes, I agree, IU fans can get out of hand, they have been known to trash players and recruits. So have fans of other schools. I think you see a lot of it from IU fans first of all because there are a lot of IU fans. It’s a large fan base, so more loonies. Also, you notice it and take note of it more than others because it’s IU, and you’re a Purdue fan. I take special note of ridiculous and unclassy Purdue fans too. You can find it right here on this site with many fans that trash Nojel, his mom, and other players that aren’t good enough to make them happy. Don’t notice it from other schools as much because it doesn’t stick out to me like it does with rival fans. My point is, IU fans aren’t much worse than any other fans, there’s just a lot of them, and it sticks out like a sore thumb to Purdue fans.
The reality is the majority of IU fans have no connection to the school. They are rooting for a TEAM. The majority of Purdue fans do, and are rooting for their school. And they have lives, careers, etc, and aren’t BIRGing to the same degree that IU fans do.

Keep in mind that some of those supposed Purdue fans who've trashed Eastern, his Mom and other Purdue players(or coaches, etc) may just as likely be other schools'(very possibly iu) fans whove created user names to log on and post their crap. Normally they only show up following a Purdue loss, and typically have very few total posts. They never actually discuss in depth the player, coach, game in question either. Posters on this site don't get banned, and outlandish posts deleted, as they would on the iu site. Not faulting the moderator(s) here - it's a big(and voluntary) job. But it does make it much easier(and much more likely) that "fans" from other forums/schools can post bullshit on here as "Purdue " fans.

Reactions: PUQBMan.

dude, you're fighting a losing battle.

The IDS article stands by itself.

If you want to take comments on this forum in an effort to form a defense, it won't work.

Your fan base has a horrible history, partially documented by IDS.

If you want to try to excuse it by pulling in other marginal behavior, it will be seen as a way to excuse it.

Stop.

Reactions: delarno
Keep in mind that some of those supposed Purdue fans who've trashed Eastern, his Mom and other Purdue players(or coaches, etc) may just as likely be other schools'(very possibly iu) fans whove created user names to log on and post their crap. Normally they only show up following a Purdue loss, and typically have very few total posts. They never actually discuss in depth the player, coach, game in question either. Posters on this site don't get banned, and outlandish posts deleted, as they would on the iu site. Not faulting the moderator(s) here - it's a big(and voluntary) job. But it does make it much easier(and much more likely) that "fans" from other forums/schools can post bullshit on here as "Purdue " fans.
I don't see many of those. Three strikes and you're on ignore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT