ADVERTISEMENT

Elijah

Dandelion1972

Sophomore
Aug 24, 2002
West Lafayette
Yep, summer is slow. Here's another FB mini-story.

---------------------------------

Just a little bit of history to set up this up, then the story. This was before the Foster Farms Bowl game, so it’s a little dated, but I think it’s interesting. I taught school for many years, and one of the things that I did was to ask students what they were going to do after graduation.

Typical conversation:

Me: So, what are you gonna do after graduation?

Student: I want to study medicine.

Me: Oh yeah, so you think you’ll be able to study until you can practice as an actual medical doctor?

Student: Sure, no problem.

Me: Then you will be happy studying until you’re 30 or 31?

Student: Wha ---- ?

Me: You’re 18 now, 4 years of college, 4 years of med school, 2 years of internship, 2 years to study a specialty, most of my former students don’t start to practice medicine until they are in their 30’s.

Student: Really?

Me: Yeah, and most that have earned their MD, didn’t get a D+ like you have. They were straight A students.

Student: Oh.

--------------------

You get the picture, I think. So I was a little early for an FCA meeting one night and in walks Elijah. We couldn’t get the TV in our meeting room to work, so I “put on my teacher hat” and struck up a conversation.

Me: I know most players at the this level want to play on Sunday, and you’re no exception.

Sindelar: You’re right about that.

Me: So, what if it doesn’t work for you, what’s your backup plan?

Sindelar: Well, I was actually drafted out of high school in baseball, but I would’ve started at the lowest level, and I felt football gave me the best opportunity to play for a living.

Me: Cool. So what’s the backup plan after that?

Sindelar: Well, I am getting a degree in electrical engineering . . . .

Me: OK, I’ll shut up now.

There was more to the conversation, but that’s enough for now. I think it’s really great to see young men and women, who go above and beyond their sports to attend something like FCA. Of course, most of you know, David Blough was a very active leader in FCA for 5 years.

Yep, summer is slow. Here's another FB mini-story.

---------------------------------

Just a little bit of history to set up this up, then the story. This was before the Foster Farms Bowl game, so it’s a little dated, but I think it’s interesting. I taught school for many years, and one of the things that I did was to ask students what they were going to do after graduation.

Typical conversation:

Me: So, what are you gonna do after graduation?

Student: I want to study medicine.

Me: Oh yeah, so you think you’ll be able to study until you can practice as an actual medical doctor?

Student: Sure, no problem.

Me: Then you will be happy studying until you’re 30 or 31?

Student: Wha ---- ?

Me: You’re 18 now, 4 years of college, 4 years of med school, 2 years of internship, 2 years to study a specialty, most of my former students don’t start to practice medicine until they are in their 30’s.

Student: Really?

Me: Yeah, and most that have earned their MD, didn’t get a D+ like you have. They were straight A students.

Student: Oh.

--------------------

You get the picture, I think. So I was a little early for an FCA meeting one night and in walks Elijah. We couldn’t get the TV in our meeting room to work, so I “put on my teacher hat” and struck up a conversation.

Me: I know most players at the this level want to play on Sunday, and you’re no exception.

Sindelar: You’re right about that.

Me: So, what if it doesn’t work for you, what’s your backup plan?

Sindelar: Well, I was actually drafted out of high school in baseball, but I would’ve started at the lowest level, and I felt football gave me the best opportunity to play for a living.

Me: Cool. So what’s the backup plan after that?

Sindelar: Well, I am getting a degree in electrical engineering . . . .

Me: OK, I’ll shut up now.

There was more to the conversation, but that’s enough for now. I think it’s really great to see young men and women, who go above and beyond their sports to attend something like FCA. Of course, most of you know, David Blough was a very active leader in FCA for 5 years.

good story! I really don't know how someone plays at the D1 level and gets a degree with that requires that kind of discipline and time. Impressive.

good story! I really don't know how someone plays at the D1 level and gets a degree with that requires that kind of discipline and time. Impressive.
I barely found the time to play intramural sports 1-2 hrs a week for a month or so in a semester let alone a demanding 20 hrs a week sport. It is a job. It also is equally impressive when they are attaining a challenging degree as well.

You are exactly right! The discipline is one thing, but you have to just be a different kind of smart to graduate with honors or close to that with an electrical engineer in degree while playing big-time college football! Kudos to he and very big kudos to the staff and university!

Reactions: purduepat1969
You are exactly right! The discipline is one thing, but you have to just be a different kind of smart to graduate with honors or close to that with an electrical engineer in degree while playing big-time college football! Kudos to he and very big kudos to the staff and university!

You have to be extremely driven to do what he's doing. I would hire him out of college in a heartbeat, because you know he's going to be successful in whatever he does.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT