ADVERTISEMENT

Election Day = Purdue vs WI determination

MilwaukeeBoilerFan

All-American
May 29, 2001
If cancelled, wonder what happens to a team only playing 6 or 7 games in 8 game season with 9th game alignment? And will there be lower tier bowls or will that be out of the question for the B1G ...just BCS or bust? I honestly haven’t heard what later December holds.
Questions remain and a few days will bring more into focus.

Reactions: Purdue85
If cancelled, wonder what happens to a team only playing 6 or 7 games in 8 game season with 9th game alignment? And will there be lower tier bowls or will that be out of the question for the B1G ...just BCS or bust? I honestly haven’t heard what later December holds.

After the elections the media will stop the media frenzy against Covid 19 and I doubt any games will be cancelled.

Look at it like this.. would you rather miss a game or play them and have 8 guys out the next week with covid?

If they can’t play then the team available to play should get the win and the opposing team gets the loss in a forfeit.

Reactions: ANDY597
Any word on which players would be sitting out for Wisconsin besides Mertz and his backup?

I can pretty much guarantee that if Biden wins, the media will start downplaying the virus.
My friend, I'm really not trying to argue with you. But let me give you some facts, that you may not be totally aware of. Over the last 10 days, the rolling average for the whole US daily infections, is 90,622, and most unfortunately, the daily deaths from this virus is currently averaging 904, and rising. And I can also guarantee that any responsible media will definitely NOT downplay the virus, before, during, or after the election. We've really only just begun with the cold weather.

Reactions: krs84
I can also guarantee that any responsible media will definitely NOT downplay the virus, before, during, or after the election. We've really only just begun with the cold weather.
Keeping this neutral: Processes have to change. Besides testing, waiting for results and sheltering, there has to be a 2nd sizable setup staffed and ready to distribute prophylactic medicines to keep those with positive tests from advancing to needing hospitalizations. Whatever those medicines are...get it kitted and into those positive test tents for anyone testing positive to reduce the duration and severity. Use National guard as the distribution channel. Create the process and move it forward.

Reactions: 72Boiler
My friend, I'm really not trying to argue with you. But let me give you some facts, that you may not be totally aware of. Over the last 10 days, the rolling average for the whole US daily infections, is 90,622, and most unfortunately, the daily deaths from this virus is currently averaging 904, and rising. And I can also guarantee that any responsible media will definitely NOT downplay the virus, before, during, or after the election. We've really only just begun with the cold weather.
When I say downplay the virus, what I mean is that the media won't be consistently trying to link COVID statistics to what a President has or hasn't done, regardless of what other House, Senate, local or state leaders have or haven't done. Biden will be allowed a free pass and his actions won't be questioned by the media. Kinda like what's happening with the Hunter Biden email scandal.

Reactions: bonefish1

This virus is extremely deadly and we should all be mad as hornets against CCP for unleashing it. CCP allowed their citizens to spread it across the globe and kept quiet about it until caught. They then said that it was not contagious. And Dr. Fauci and the WHO believed them. IMO CCP did this because their GDP went downward two years ago and they can benefit from the outbreak, since they still have so much manufacturing over there.

However, the good news is that we are learning to live with it. The FDA also recently released some medicines that have reacted very well with it. And it seems that 3 to 4 Pharmaceutical Companies will have a vaccine before the end of the year. BTW, my friend is a Hospital Administrator and she admitted the daily death toll is inaccurate.

I do think the virus is horrific and I understand the fear. However, IMO there is some danger to young men, but cooler heads will decide that the consequences of shutting down are far worse. We will come out of this far better than before and already the economy looks like it is coming back strong.

Keeping this neutral: Processes have to change. Besides testing, waiting for results and sheltering, there has to be a 2nd sizable setup staffed and ready to distribute prophylactic medicines to keep those with positive tests from advancing to needing hospitalizations. Whatever those medicines are...get it kitted and into those positive test tents for anyone testing positive to reduce the duration and severity. Use National guard as the distribution channel. Create the process and move it forward.
I totally agree with you that the processes need to change. I also believe that the processes have made significant improvements. However, their are many areas throughout the country (some very rural areas) that are still not improving, and in fact, are struggling now.

I hope Purdue doesn't play them. I just saw that Wisky is up to 22 cases, and you kind of wonder if that is how it passed to Illinois. At least from the COVID stand point, we have a healthy team, no need to play that game.

Again, a few things worth pointing out...

COVID cases are simply positive test results (asymptomatic "cases" are included).

COVID fatalities have been steadily in decline, per CDC. (One of the reasons they've been focusing on reporting the number of "cases", IMHO.)

COVID cases are going up primarily because of the extraordinarily high number of tests administered. When I looked last week, they're hitting 1.3M tests daily.

Reactions: todd brewster
For what it's worth, the number of hospitalizations is up to its highest levels in MN and WI. This is not a function of more tests. It really is getting worse from that perspective, though the treatment is getting more effective with shorter lengths of stay.

Reactions: todd brewster
For what it's worth, the number of hospitalizations is up to its highest levels in MN and WI. This is not a function of more tests. It really is getting worse from that perspective, though the treatment is getting more effective with shorter lengths of stay.

I checked MN, and you're correct. Hospitalizations are up.

However, what you wrote (in bold) is not necessarily true. CDC's definition of a hospitalization is someone who is "confirmed or probable COVID-19 cases". In other words, they tested positive. In other words, they don't necessarily need to be hospitalized because of COVID, just be hospitalized and be positive for COVID. Or, be suspected of having COVID.

We also know for sure there are substantially greater numbers of tests today, which will also result in hospitals testing more, which will result in more positive COVIDs in hospitals.

What supports your position is the number of positives in ICU, which has trended up, but still appears to be quite manageable. To re-visit what got us here, "15 days to flatten the curve" (back in March) was not to eliminate or prevent people from getting it, but to prevent ICUs from being overrun.

People admitted to hospitals have been prioritized for testing all along - i.e. they have not seen an increase in testing because it's been close to 100% of that population all along. More hospitalizations = it's getting worse.

People admitted to hospitals have been prioritized for testing all along - i.e. they have not seen an increase in testing because it's been close to 100% of that population all along. More hospitalizations = it's getting worse.
And, again, that testing has increased. Not just in the general population, but in medical facilities, as well.

And, they don't need to be admitted for COVID, just be admitted with COVID.

And, again, that testing has increased. Not just in the general population, but in medical facilities, as well.

And, they don't need to be admitted for COVID, just be admitted with COVID.
We might be talking past each other. 100% of inpatients have been tested since very early on. That testing cannot increase because you can't test more than 100%. Whether COVID was a primary or secondary admitting diagnosis is a red herring - everyone gets tested regardless (and has for months), and more are testing positive.

We might be talking past each other. 100% of inpatients have been tested since very early on. That testing cannot increase because you can't test more than 100%. Whether COVID was a primary or secondary admitting diagnosis is a red herring - everyone gets tested regardless (and has for months), and more are testing positive.
you could be right on the first part.

No doubt, testing has increased dramatically, even in medical facilities.

Additionally, the "cases" in hospitals are not necessarily hospitalizations due to COVID, as I mentioned. Nor do they have to be positive tests.

Our medical "leaders" have failed us in this pandemic, and they've failed us miserably. Not only have the goal posts been moved, and moved significantly, the focus has changed time and again. That has created an inordinate amount of panic in the public, and a complete lack of confidence and trust.

AGAIN... we've gone from flattening the curve, to acting like we cannot do anything if we risk being exposed to this virus.

It's a complete failure, and that's on the medical/scientific community.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT