ADVERTISEMENT

Edey

Sep 2, 2001
Is it me or is Edey getting called for fouls that are stupid. It seems to me that every time he turns around, some dumb referee is trying to call a flagrant foul on him. When you are 7’4”, you are going to accidentally bump someone in the head. Why is he being picked on by the referees?

Is it me or is Edey getting called for fouls that are stupid. It seems to me that every time he turns around, some dumb referee is trying to call a flagrant foul on him. When you are 7’4”, you are going to accidentally bump someone in the head. Why is he being picked on by the referees?
It's called the "Haas effect". You get penalized just for being big...

2 or 3 of his fouls Tuesday were just for being big and guys flopping off him. He did nothing wrong. The color guy was clueless, but all of the ESPN studio guys were calling the refs out at halftime, which is rare. Mike Decourcey was also calling out the refs on this on 1070 yesterday. If enough media gets behind it should start to swing back in Edey's favor. People want to see him play and he shouldn't be penalized for being 7'4 290.

2 or 3 of his fouls Tuesday were just for being big and guys flopping off him. He did nothing wrong. The color guy was clueless, but all of the ESPN studio guys were calling the refs out at halftime, which is rare. Mike Decourcey was also calling out the refs on this on 1070 yesterday. If enough media gets behind it should start to swing back in Edey's favor. People want to see him play and he shouldn't be penalized for being 7'4 290.
The color guy sounded as if he were broadcasting from the hull of a submarine.

Pretty sure it is Edey. And some of those calls are truly stupid.

Reactions: SIBoiler2
It is not just fouls because he is big, but the Miami defenders were leaning in sometimes to make it appear that he was just swinging his arms and he contacted them because of it. They did some great acting jobs that the competent officials just fell for as always.

It is not just fouls because he is big, but the Miami defenders were leaning in sometimes to make it appear that he was just swinging his arms and he contacted them because of it. They did some great acting jobs that the competent officials just fell for as always.
Completely agree with this. Edey has to be more aware but it’s clear that the Miami bigs were coached to lean into the contact and flop (which is good coaching).

Just watched the 1st half. The 1st 2 fouls called on Edey were a joke. Purdue was totally controlling and the one referee decided to change the flow. I will watch the 2nd half when I want to get pissed later. The referees control the game. No reason 1 team shoots 20 more foul shots.

Just watched the 1st half. The 1st 2 fouls called on Edey were a joke. Purdue was totally controlling and the one referee decided to change the flow. I will watch the 2nd half when I want to get pissed later. The referees control the game. No reason 1 team shoots 20 more foul shots.
Correct, he took it on himself to mitigate Zach's size. Zach needs to manage better but Miami bigs were allowed to foul him pushing for position, called completely one way. Same thing happened at times to Haas.

My new theory on Matt Haarms. He stepped onto the floor for the first time with Edey and was like there’s no f-ing way I’m out of here.
He made the right decision. He woudve had about 6 mins against Indiana State

Reactions: Zaphod_B and BBG
When you have the announcers pretty much every game so far saying something like "He is getting fouls called on him just because he is big" ..........something is up.

If Edy so much as farts in one direction he gets called for a foul.

When you have the announcers pretty much every game so far saying something like "He is getting fouls called on him just because he is big" ..........something is up.

If Edy so much as farts in one direction he gets called for a foul.

HAHAHA!
Hearing the announcer say: "and Edey with the farting foul, his 3rd of the night."
Hahaha -make me chuckle.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and BBG
I think calls will be more favorable for him once he becomes more of a commodity in the league. And its starting to happen. I’ve heard the baseball/hockey background story at least twice now.

I wonder if last night was the first game Edey ever started? I am sure he didn't at IMG last year maybe when he was playing on its "B" team his first year there. Zach hasn't lived in the fast lane until now so I imagine he will have a lot of ups and downs this year as it is all new to him. It's probably a good thing he doesn't have to deal with the usual Big Ten crowds.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and TX4GB
I wonder if last night was the first game Edey ever started? I am sure he didn't at IMG last year maybe when he was playing on its "B" team his first year there. Zach hasn't lived in the fast lane until now so I imagine he will have a lot of ups and downs this year as it is all new to him. It's probably a good thing he doesn't have to deal with the usual Big Ten crowds.
He needs some drills on listening for your name to be called. 😂

Reactions: DrEss and Bill4411
I think calls will be more favorable for him once he becomes more of a commodity in the league. And its starting to happen. I’ve heard the baseball/hockey background story at least twice now.

You are right. Once refs get the idea that “everyone flips around Edey” and they get to watch some of the BS vs Miami they will call things better.

He’s also going to become a star. He’s a nobody right now. Stars get treated better.

Haas never got a call in four years. It will be the same for Edey. Refs can’t officiate players over 6’8” correctly

Might be right. Painter needs to work the refs. Unlike most bigs, Edey can make you pay form the FT line.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
If we keep recruiting the 7+ footers, which I think we should and will, we need to have some strong talking points for refs. Back this up with video of Haas, Edey etc. getting mauled or flopped against. Agreed.
In case you don't recall, this is exactly what Painter did. He made a video tape of Haas getting mauled and sent it to the head of the BIG officials. It did improve things a little bit, but the play around big guys is always rough. Nobody is going to concede to larger players without a fight. That is just competative basketball.

In case you don't recall, this is exactly what Painter did. He made a video tape of Haas getting mauled and sent it to the head of the BIG officials. It did improve things a little bit, but the play around big guys is always rough. Nobody is going to concede to larger players without a fight. That is just competative basketball.

I figured he did. Painter is pretty sharp.

The flopping vs Miami was bad....

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Came back to bite us. Matt Cross had 2 baskets late once Edey was out.
Changed the game entirely...it impacted it in that he was not on the floor more, but, once he fouled out, the game changed entirely.

Bardo who is doing the Michigan-Penn State game was talking about how well Dickinson plays and moves but that Zach Edey moves better. I didn't catch all of it but Bardo appears to be a big fan of Edey's.

Bardo was effusive in his praise of the potential for Zach Edey during the Purdue game....based on his ability to move and awareness, even at this early development stage....the opportunity is certainly there. A ways to go yet, but I think many are pleasantly surprised with where Zach Edey is as a player even right now. Still will be some ups and downs and times where he gets limited due to foul trouble this year, I suspect. Even so, it takes some pressure off Trevion Williams if Big Tre can avoid foul trouble, too.

That’s fine. Just don’t call our guy for the nickel dimers either. Let them play both ways.

Do you think with his late start in basketball that he’s likely to hang around here for 4 years? Does anyone know about his family? Would someone tell him to bolt for the G league after a year to continue his development?

Do you think with his late start in basketball that he’s likely to hang around here for 4 years? Does anyone know about his family? Would someone tell him to bolt for the G league after a year to continue his development?
I believe Zach's mother is an engineer. I'm not sure what the father, Glen does but I don't think they need money. Harvard was looking at Zach because of his grades and apparently he has a high IQ from what I have read, so academics are probably important to both Zach and his parents. I'm sure they will put a lot of thought into when is the best time to go pro.

It will be interesting to see if Zach can develop any kind of perimeter game. If he can learn to shoot with any range, the sky is the limit. However, if he never gets out of the low post, he may end up more like Haas with limited NBA potential. Speaking of NBA, Iowa's Garza is looking like a future star. His 3 point range is outstanding. I'd love for Zach to develop a similar game.

It will be interesting to see if Zach can develop any kind of perimeter game. If he can learn to shoot with any range, the sky is the limit. However, if he never gets out of the low post, he may end up more like Haas with limited NBA potential. Speaking of NBA, Iowa's Garza is looking like a future star. His 3 point range is outstanding. I'd love for Zach to develop a similar game.
Garza has no future in the NBA. That’s why he’s back playing in college after being arguably the best player in college last year. He’s way too slow for the NBA and a huge liability defensively. He will make a lot of money overseas for sure, but he’s in not “a future star”.

Garza has no future in the NBA. That’s why he’s back playing in college after being arguably the best player in college last year. He’s way too slow for the NBA and a huge liability defensively. He will make a lot of money overseas for sure, but he’s in not “a future star”.
You may be right, but the guy is shooting over 60 percent from 3. I don't recall the 3 being a big part of his game last year. Was it?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT