ADVERTISEMENT

Easily the funniest thing I’ve read this year

The Hazell hire was a very good hire, at that time. He had taken Kent State, a program with a worse history than IU’s , to a great record and a national ranking. He received a very strong recommendation from Tressell, ESPN, SI, and the rest of the news media. He was the Hot Hire in that year. Pollian, Grigson, and Smith are all involved with the NFL and knew jacksh** about college coaches. Too, Hazell was an African American who was organized, well spoken, and presented well. I, along with a vast majority of KHs were happy with the hire at the time.

Remember that MB wanted to retire about ten years before he actually did, but the President, The Alumni, and the KH-types all begged him to stay. Many leaders have their good works and mojo turn south after ten to twelve years, and their Dignities turn into Disasters. We should have let MB retire whe he wanted to.

The Hazell hire was a very good hire, at that time. He had taken Kent State, a program with a worse history than IU’s , to a great record and a national ranking. He received a very strong recommendation from Tressell, ESPN, SI, and the rest of the news media. He was the Hot Hire in that year. Pollian, Grigson, and Smith are all involved with the NFL and knew jacksh** about college coaches. Too, Hazell was an African American who was organized, well spoken, and presented well. I, along with a vast majority of KHs were happy with the hire at the time.

Remember that MB wanted to retire about ten years before he actually did, but the President, The Alumni, and the KH-types all begged him to stay. Many leaders have their good works and mojo turn south after ten to twelve years, and their Dignities turn into Disasters. We should have let MB retire whe he wanted to.

Big M little organ backed out of retirement as Tiller started winning. No one begged him to reconsider.

It was easy to see, if anyone looked, that Hazel's one great year was because of the phenomenal season of Dri Archer.

You'll likely get roasted for your reasonable post.

You are correct. The Hazell hire was widely regarded as a good hire. And he had a respectable two year record at a MAC program that is a perennial doormat. And, he did that NOT in his first year after taking over from another coach, but in his 2nd year. Sure, people can do the "yeah, but" game all day long, but those are the facts. What's more, if players don't perform, don't we fault the coach? But, if a coach has a player who plays out of his mind, that should NOT be attributed to the coach? At least partly? That's what happened at Kent State.

I agree with the analysis of using NFL minds to find an NCAA coach. The reason I brought it up in an earlier post was to point out the inaccuracies in a rambling, emotional Burke-bashing rant.

You'll likely get roasted for your reasonable post.

You are correct. The Hazell hire was widely regarded as a good hire. And he had a respectable two year record at a MAC program that is a perennial doormat. And, he did that NOT in his first year after taking over from another coach, but in his 2nd year. Sure, people can do the "yeah, but" game all day long, but those are the facts. What's more, if players don't perform, don't we fault the coach? But, if a coach has a player who plays out of his mind, that should NOT be attributed to the coach? At least partly? That's what happened at Kent State.

I agree with the analysis of using NFL minds to find an NCAA coach. The reason I brought it up in an earlier post was to point out the inaccuracies in a rambling, emotional Burke-bashing rant.

Burke deserves every bit of bashing he gets. Even if it's bashing for something he didn't do. He still deserves it. He set back the major revenue sports by numerous years and turned Purdue football into a laughing stock.

While I agree the Hazell hire was considered decent by the talking heads, it wasn't an "A" hire. Hazell had two years of head coaching experience and hadn't proven he could recruit. Burke's continued hiring on the cheap was the key driver of why that choice was made.

Burke deserves every bit of bashing he gets. Even if it's bashing for something he didn't do. He still deserves it. He set back the major revenue sports by numerous years and turned Purdue football into a laughing stock.

While I agree the Hazell hire was considered decent by the talking heads, it wasn't an "A" hire. Hazell had two years of head coaching experience and hadn't proven he could recruit. Burke's continued hiring on the cheap was the key driver of why that choice was made.

That's an emotional position.

I know people love to bash him, and that's fair. He took a position I doubt you (and others) would have the courage to take. There. I said it.

Why deny his accomplishments? Do you think "on the cheap" was all his decision? Do you think he was NOT operating within the confines set by his bosses? After all, don't you think a person in his position would WANT to spend a lot of money to look good? To hire the BEST? Do you think he pocketed the money?

Too many people allow the hatred in their hearts to rule this subject.

I don't know Burke. Only met him in passing. I find it difficult to get to the level of sheer hatred too many on this forum possess.

I want no part of it.

I know people love to bash him, and that's fair. He took a position I doubt you (and others) would have the courage to take. There. I said it.

Why deny his accomplishments? Do you think "on the cheap" was all his decision? Do you think he was NOT operating within the confines set by his bosses? After all, don't you think a person in his position would WANT to spend a lot of money to look good? To hire the BEST? Do you think he pocketed the money?

I don't know Burke. Only met him in passing. I find it difficult to get to the level of sheer hatred too many on this forum possess.

I want no part of it.
This post is right on target. Thank you 85!

Yes, Burke went cheap. We saw it in Tiller’s last classes. We saw it in Painter’s recruiting, we even saw it as our WBB program went downhill when recruiting budgets were slashed.

Anyone really think Burke did this cost cutting on his own? I don’t.

This post is right on target. Thank you 85!

Yes, Burke went cheap. We saw it in Tiller’s last classes. We saw it in Painter’s recruiting, we even saw it as our WBB program went downhill when recruiting budgets were slashed.

Anyone really think Burke did this cost cutting on his own? I don’t.

No, his hands were badly tied. Not only did Burke get no funding from the university for athletics, he actually had to help fund the university with athletics revenue. The fact that he managed to upgrade facilities and leave us in as good of a position as he did across the entire athletic landscape was an amazing feat. Did he have some miss steps, sure, everyone does, the problem Burke had, his budget constraints were so tight that the slightest miss step could become glaring as you have no room in the budget to reverse course, you are stuck and have to in many cases let it play out until you can free up some money to try again (contract expires).

I want no part of it.

I don't disagree with your assessment on the money situation. But if Burke had real courage, he would have left in protest of what it was doing to the major revenue programs, not become a lap dog of Cordova.

I don't hate the man. I just just believe he deserves his share and more of the blame for what happened to major revenue sports. He had a big say in prioritizing how money was spent, even if there wasn't enough there to go around. You have to prioritize the high revenue sports to help pay for the others. He didn't do that. As AD, he was responsible for the outcome.

Reactions: Inspector100
I don't disagree with your assessment on the money situation. But if Burke had real courage, he would have left in protest of what it was doing to the major revenue programs, not become a lap dog of Cordova.

I don't hate the man. I just just believe he deserves his share and more of the blame for what happened to major revenue sports. He had a big say in prioritizing how money was spent, even if there wasn't enough there to go around. You have to prioritize the high revenue sports to help pay for the others. He didn't do that. As AD, he was responsible for the outcome.

Yes, he is responsible, and I thought that had already been established and wasn't a point of contention. I still don't understand how someone could deserve "his share and more of the blame." How can someone deserve MORE than their share? I mean, if you're genuinely wanting to be "fair," which doesn't sound like you do.

The parts in bold don't square with your follow up. It's either Burke's fault, or it's the President and the rest of the administration.

Yes, he could have quit in a fit, taken his ball and gone home. That's easy for you to say. You can sit in judgment. No problem. Or, he could continue to work the system and try to get everything out of it he could, knowing the next person could make the situation infinitely worse.

You might not "hate" Burke, but it sure sounds like it. I have a lot more to say, but I'm really trying to be nice in this thread.

Reactions: BOILERBOY

Real courage is being loyal to your university and working through difficulties as best you can. Quitting is not a courageous way to act. You go to battle for what you think is right, and do the best you can. Who better to contest poor decisions? Don't force some new guy (probably hired by the same people attempting to strangle the athletic department) to fight your battle with only half interest and no credibility.

Reactions: BOILERBOY
Real courage is being loyal to your university and working through difficulties as best you can. Quitting is not a courageous way to act. You go to battle for what you think is right, and do the best you can. Who better to contest poor decisions? Don't force some new guy (probably hired by the same people attempting to strangle the athletic department) to fight your battle with only half interest and no credibility.

Is that you, COWARDLY LION??
roller_gif_zpscwe8ixta.gif

Barney-Fife_Burke_zps3zn1r1qh.jpg

But if Burke had real courage, he would have left in protest of what it was doing to the major revenue programs, not become a lap dog of Cordova.
Yes, he could have quit in a fit, taken his ball and gone home. ...

Or, he could continue to work the system and try to get everything out of it he could
working the system may be better description than solely personal courage.

m.painter is probably one who accomplished the next significant change to the sport $ commitment (revenue sports). burke didnt have the demand & career options that painter did , so paint had better leverage and was better able to work the system. tiller and keady voiced displeasure for years on lack of commitment to $, resources, facilities etc. even keady considered leaving.

Last edited:

Actually, real courage is standing up for what you believe is best for the university, your employer, etc, regardless of personal consequences. Mitch Daniels was named President in Jan 2013. But interestingly enough, behavior of spending and commitment to revenue sports didn't occur until August 2016, when Bobinski was hired. So Burke had nearly 3 years under Daniels to make his case for more commitment to revenue sports. Maybe I missed it, but I didnt see much happen during that time period. Maybe it did behind the scenes. Regardless, if Burke wasn't effective, he could have stepped aside for someone else who might have been.

Actually, real courage is standing up for what you believe is best for the university, your employer, etc, regardless of personal consequences. Mitch Daniels was named President in Jan 2013. But interestingly enough, behavior of spending and commitment to revenue sports didn't occur until August 2016, when Bobinski was hired. So Burke had nearly 3 years under Daniels to make his case for more commitment to revenue sports. Maybe I missed it, but I didnt see much happen during that time period. Maybe it did behind the scenes. Regardless, if Burke wasn't effective, he could have stepped aside for someone else who might have been.

I like your post. It appears to me that Daniels gave Burke a chance and saw it wasn't going anywhere after a couple years. Then Daniels hired a new AD to follow Burke, but turned that into a replacement and gave Burke another place to work till his retirement became official. Meanwhile, the new AD went off to hire a new FB coach and start the process of bringing back the alumni backers that sort of stopped their contributing, all before Burke left campus. So basically Burke did step aside.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Before Hazell was hired, Burke put together a committee, which included former Colts GM Bill Polian.

You might not like Hazell's results (I don't), but that isn't my feeling, that's a fact.

Wasn't Butch Jones in the mix? My recollection was that Jones may have even been offered and Haze was the next in line.

Wasn't Butch Jones in the mix? My recollection was that Jones may have even been offered and Haze was the next in line.

Not sure if there was a pecking order publicized, but that would be my guess.

It's not like we were going to have our pick of elite coaches. We were going to have to take a chance and roll the dice. Turns out, both didn't work out.

Here’s a good one: courtsense thought IU had a great crowd at the IU Purdue game last year lol.

A gem from @fkfootball: “I think we will beat them this year. Jeff Brohm will only get so far with his bag of gimmicks.”

What they don't get is we beat their arse straight up. They couldn't defend a fake punt. they threw an INT deep in their own territory, in which our guy jumped the route.

We beat their @ss.

We'll do it again. Repeatedly.

Not sure if they'll win another one during the Brohm era.

Check out the thread with the link to the season predictions by “experts”

Two picking 8-4....

All the ingredients are there for an 8 win season... like uncertainty at QB, a poor but at least more experienced offensive line and a lot of turnover on defense.

Sounds like a solid case for 8-4.

All the ingredients are there for an 8 win season... like uncertainty at QB, a poor but at least more experienced offensive line and a lot of turnover on defense.

Okay, this sounds like sarcasam, right? No uncertainty, at all, at QB, and the OL is NOT poor, and I think we'll see the defense being much better than anyone expects.

New challenger to funniest line:

“A few calls against (CB) Fant were bogus”-FieldJock

That guy made a career out of celebrating uncalled pass interferences. They need to man up and admit he was beat by a WR who runs a 4.7 forty

If I recall correctly both calls against him were clearly PI

Reactions: Purdue85
Guys we are in trouble, iu has figured that players need to lift weights! What are we going to do?!

Seriously that whole thread is awesome, so many excuses for getting dominated until we let off the gas. And courtsense is going to courtsense.

Okay, this sounds like sarcasam, right? No uncertainty, at all, at QB, and the OL is NOT poor, and I think we'll see the defense being much better than anyone expects.
Sorry, sometimes I forget the thread I'm on. Just chalk it off to a senior moment.

Another gem from @td75:

“Indiana should beat Purdue out for in-state talent 3 out of 4 times. Purdue simply does not have some great football program or tradition. Indiana should be a far easier sell, especially to Indianapolis area products. All it would take is several top players from Indy to come down to Bloomington and have success to get the ball rolling. I’m talking the 4 and 5 star QB, RB, etc... Wilson was VERY close with the 2013 class. These kids would be legends in the state if they had big success. I don’t know why this can’t happen?”

Hahahahahahaha

Another gem from @td75:

“Indiana should beat Purdue out for in-state talent 3 out of 4 times. Purdue simply does not have some great football program or tradition. Indiana should be a far easier sell, especially to Indianapolis area products. All it would take is several top players from Indy to come down to Bloomington and have success to get the ball rolling. I’m talking the 4 and 5 star QB, RB, etc... Wilson was VERY close with the 2013 class. These kids would be legends in the state if they had big success. I don’t know why this can’t happen?”

Hahahahahahaha

Just getting ready to share this. The only tradition iu has is being the worst D1 program in history.

Easily the most delusional take I’ve seen there.

Just getting ready to share this. The only tradition iu has is being the worst D1 program in history.

Easily the most delusional take I’ve seen there.

He followed that up with saying he could make a case for IU winning 10 games in 2015 if Tom Allen had been their DC lol

Reactions: joe for prez
Another gem from @td75:

Hahahahahahaha

I....

uh ....

did he really . . . ?

I got nothin'.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT