ADVERTISEMENT

Dumb time out, jeez, Painter is mediocre.nm.

It was a dumb timeout but you can't even admit that??? Come on he let the offense set up a shot and we loss!!! Kind've reminds me of that Hope timeout against ND for another loss!!!

The TO did bail them out in addition to still being unable to handle a press. To Painter's credit he got them playing defense. Offense doesn't work and in game decisions are awful. The reason neither he nor Gene could make a deep run in the tournament. Questioning the coach's decisions does not make one a troll. Nice season and glad we beat IU twice.

^^^^ TD75 = Troll me thinks ^^^^

Originally posted by td75:
Purdue is way better than UC, what a bad coaching job!!
No, you are blatantly and ignorantly wrong.

cool.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 3/19 9:58 PM by mathboy

What hurt us the most was free throws and that call going against use when Mathias had the ball knocked out of his hands. I have never, ever see that call reversed or made.

BBG you are wrong on this. The timeout by CMP was an egregious error. Very bad. And if he did not tell them to quit shooting 3's and take to rack he made another mistake. We had a 7 point lead and choked it away. Sure players play(and officials make really bad reversal calls) but that is coaching. I support coach, but it was a terrible performance on his part.

Fire Painter!!!!!!!!! What a pathetic excuse for a coach. Anyone would be better. Why are we accepting a guy who has 1 co-B1G championship in 10 years and 2 sweet 16's??? Who are we, Valpo or something? How is that acceptable????

The timeout was a good call...the team had played poorly on defense in the last minute...if hammons just slides over the game is over...no way painter told him to stay home on d. Anyone that thinks that was a bad call on Painter's part, does not understand the game.

That damned Painter...he ought to be fired for not sprinting down the court and shoving Hammons into help position on that last UC shot in regulation. What a moron!

I thought it was bad at the time and really still do as they didn't have any left. I guess the question whether you think it was good or bad(which I do). What was the objective, what was accomplished. Cincy drove and took it to rack and in OT we jogged ball up the court to launch a 3.
This post was edited on 3/20 11:51 AM by Boiler BCT 93

The major reason we lost was being unable to hit a high enough percentage of our 3's and free throws.

All these other little things like the timeout are very minor by comparison.

Painter could have just let them play without calling a timeout, and the other team might have scored even easier... maybe they would have hit a 3 instead of a 2. How do you know that wouldn't have happened? Nobody knows what would have happened. The coach decided it was, on balance, better to remind his team about the defensive principles to follow in that situation. His call. He knows the players better than you or I, and I trust his judgment on that one.

It was a terrible called TO! Cinny was out of TO's. If CP doesn't take a TO, then UC would have a 19 year old making decisions with the ball and a bit nervous and rushed, and more than likely, chucking up a 3 for the loss.

With the TO - they set the play and take the 19 year old decisions out of the game, draw a play, and then its about execution - IMO - I would rather have the 19 year old kid making those decisions than a seasoned coach - - we lost for many reasons, and that IS one - bad job on CP there.

It's obvious most you don't watch much CBB. If you did, you'd see that 99% of the coaches take that time out. Is it the right thing? Who really knows, you can't know what isn't knowable, but one thing is knowable and that is MOST CBB coaches take that time out!

Originally posted by PurdueDave:
It's obvious most you don't watch much CBB. If you did, you'd see that 99% of the coaches take that time out. Is it the right thing? Who really knows, you can't know what isn't knowable, but one thing is knowable and that is MOST CBB coaches take that time out!
This.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I didn't have a problem w/ the TO. It gave us a blow and to set up a defensive plan. The guy made a double clutch sh+t shot over a taller Edwards. Don't forget before the TO, Octeus only made 1 of 2 FT's. We made 1 of 5 FT's including a missed 1 and 1 down the stretch, that's where the game was lost.
This post was edited on 3/20 3:54 PM by PaBoiler78

I watch a lot of CBB. I dont think its knowable that most CBB take that time out. Woul rather see the offense in dis array. The reporter asked Cincy coach if he was shocked or happy that CMP called the TO for him to set up offense.

Ok all of us arm chair experts have spoken. Question for all you other experts what is easier playing defense, or scoring the ball?

You are not asking the right question. It is not an issue of whether or not it is easier to play defense or score. It is about the situation. It appears (I am not speaking as I know) that Painter wanted to cover the 3, and use Edwards to guard the drive. Did it work? No...does that make the TO wrong? No it means it didn't work. Please stop grading Painter's coaching based on one play...instead look at the season. If you don't think the season was successful...fine. Personally, thought the growth throughout the year was great to see...and give kudo's to the coaching staff for getting them there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT