ADVERTISEMENT

Dre Davis recruitment

TX4GB

All-American
May 19, 2012
Dre Davis has reopened his recruitment and backed out of his Nebraska verbal (at the moment). I see he is now #2 in the state behind Ivey and top 100 nationally. Not sure if he could play some type of 4 similar to Eifert who was around the same height. Maybe back off the 7 footer route and go this route?

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaphod_B
I wonder if K-State has any available scholarships left. If so, I wonder if he follows Pack.

I wonder if K-State has any available scholarships left. If so, I wonder if he follows Pack.
I can't remember the name but I saw the other day K State getting another verbal. I think that wrapped up Weber's class.

I'm not familiar with the player but wonder why a 4 star kid has such a bleh offer list?

is he better the Carr ???

I ask because Carr will get some minutes as a walk-on and it will probably be at the same position.

I'm sorry to say he would have been nice, but we filled that hole with other players. Maybe if eh had committed to us earlier, we would not have signed that grad transfer.

In-home visit without offering? How unusual is that?

It probably has something to do with his recent decommit from NU, but it still seems odd.
Either he’s getting offered, or Painter is paying his dues visiting a 4 star in-state kid as a courtesy thing. I’ll take the former, since the latter doesn’t make as much sense since the visit is so promptly after he decommitted. I’ll bet you he thinks he can get this guy instead of Ingram or Christie.

Either he’s getting offered, or Painter is paying his dues visiting a 4 star in-state kid as a courtesy thing. I’ll take the former, since the latter doesn’t make as much sense since the visit is so promptly after he decommitted. I’ll bet you he thinks he can get this guy instead of Ingram or Christie.

Courtesy visits don't align with Painter's character, imo, so I agree. He must be a hell of a player for all these schools to jump into his recruitment.

During Celtics Time Outs, I took a look at our future rosters and commits. If one moves Morton to PG instead of the 2 he's placed in, that puts Isaiah and Morton at a G, then Sasha, Hunter, Newman & Ivey at the other G. Wheeler and Gillis at SF. Tre at the other F (Just wait, that's where he'll be) and Dow at C.

So, do we need Dre (I know several have clearly said no)? And do we need Edey? A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

I'd take Dre in a heartbeat and let the cards fall where they may. Injuries, transfers, redshirts, unknowns for next year. I would never say no to a top-100. There will be another Edey next year... IMHO

And, I KNOW this doesn't seem to make a difference, but daumn, how could a BIG not see immediate playing time with only Tre and Dow ahead of them??????? WE could take three bigs and not miss a beat.

Last edited:
Reactions: SIBoiler2
I just saw Louisville offered De’Ante Davis - class of 2022. I believe he is his younger brother. Nebraska also offered him over the summer. A Butler grad told me that Micah is known for being a good recruiter in Indy and has connections. Can’t hurt here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaphod_B
He wants to play in F4’s and win a championship. I have a gut feeling this kid is Painter’s to lose. MP has a track record at winning in these situations. He won’t keep recruiting a kid once he commits but seems to have a plan as soon as they become available again.

Wasn't there a tweet by an assistant coach during the past year or so indicating that he couldn't/wouldn't talk to a committed recruit? Implication was that a committed recruit had tried to contact him regarding Purdue - perhaps it was Davis?

During Celtics Time Outs, I took a look at our future rosters and commits. If one moves Morton to PG instead of the 2 he's placed in, that puts Isaiah and Morton at a G, then Sasha, Hunter, Newman & Ivey at the other G. Wheeler and Gillis at SF. Tre at the other F (Just wait, that's where he'll be) and Dow at C.

So, do we need Dre (I know several have clearly said no)? And do we need Edey? A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

I'd take Dre in a heartbeat and let the cards fall where they may. Injuries, transfers, redshirts, unknowns for next year. I would never say no to a top-100. There will be another Edey next year... IMHO

And, I KNOW this doesn't seem to make a difference, but daumn, how could a BIG not see immediate playing time with only Tre and Dow ahead of them??????? WE could take three bigs and not miss a beat.
Haarms is a Junior. You didn't factor him in. I think it's completely understandable for a recruit to look at our roster and see that our center position is our best/deepest position. A guy looking for immediate playing time isn't going to like upperclassmen Haarms and Williams ahead of him on the depth chart.

I still say we bank the scholarship for 2021.

We already recruited 2 big guards in this class....on top of 2 guards last year. Our only need for this class is a reserve developmental big........if anything. He projects to a 2/3 and we are set there. Could play small ball 4.....we are good there too.
Painter needs another 6'5" 2/3 perimeter guy like Brohm needs another quality WR

Painter needs another 6'5" 2/3 perimeter guy like Brohm needs another quality WR

Louisville is stacked at that position too. It may not be about immediate playing time since he would have plenty of chances at Nebraska. He may want to be closer to home at a higher profile program.

Where is StickPurdue? He was pretty high on him.

Haarms is a Junior. You didn't factor him in. I think it's completely understandable for a recruit to look at our roster and see that our center position is our best/deepest position. A guy looking for immediate playing time isn't going to like upperclassmen Haarms and Williams ahead of him on the depth chart.

I still say we bank the scholarship for 2021.
I'm not following. We have Tre, Haarms, and Dow to play both 4 and 5 (and I do agree that "positions" don't relate too much to how we play, but still...) /// we have at least two+ PGs, three at the two-guard and two at the SF position.

That's three to fill the two 4/5 positions, Two to fill the small-guard, three+ to fill the shooting-guard, and two to fill the SF.

I'm not following. We have Tre, Haarms, and Dow to play both 4 and 5 (and I do agree that "positions" don't relate too much to how we play, but still...) /// we have at least two+ PGs, three at the two-guard and two at the SF position.

That's three to fill the two 4/5 positions, Two to fill the small-guard, three+ to fill the shooting-guard, and two to fill the SF.
See this is where we disagree. I have next year's roster looking as follows right now.

1: Eastern/Morton/IT
2: Sasha/Hunter
3: Newman/Ivey
4: Wheeler/Gillis
5: Haarms/Williams/Dow

If we were to add another player, a guy like Davis makes more sense than another center, IMO. However, I don't think we should add anyone.

See this is where we disagree. I have next year's roster looking as follows right now.

1: Eastern/Morton/IT
2: Sasha/Hunter
3: Newman/Ivey
4: Wheeler/Gillis
5: Haarms/Williams/Dow

If we were to add another player, a guy like Davis makes more sense than another center, IMO. However, I don't think we should add anyone.
True - I was looking two years out PLUS, I was looking at a perfect world where no one is playing "out of position."
I see:

1: Morton/IT
2: Sasha/Hunter/Newman/Ivey
3: Wheeler/Gillis
4: Tre (he will be a 4 in two years!!!)
5: Dow

True - I was looking two years out PLUS, I was looking at a perfect world where no one is playing "out of position."
I see:

I thought you were saying you didn't know how a guy like Hunter Dickinson couldn't see immediate playing time, which is why I thought you were talking about next year's team.

I think Tre will always be a 5, and also believe Wheeler and Gillis are 4s in Purdue's system (ie. Vince Edwards/Robbie Hummel). We can agree to disagree on that though :).

I thought you were saying you didn't know how a guy like Hunter Dickinson couldn't see immediate playing time, which is why I thought you were talking about next year's team.

I think Tre will always be a 5, and also believe Wheeler and Gillis are 4s in Purdue's system (ie. Vince Edwards/Robbie Hummel). We can agree to disagree on that though :).
Honestly, I wasn't saying anything other than whether we should take Dre. Even if he doesn't really have a place, I think you take him at his skill-level. Then worry about the "Evey" type next year. I think there will be an Evey type every year. And yes, Wheeler/Gillis can move to a 4 - especially in an up-tempo offense. I'm not disagreeing as much as wishing for a higher perfection. LOL

Reactions: Boiler Kyle
I have watched him play many times . He attacks constantly and plays much bigger than 6'5 every time I watched him I wanted him more . He will be a huge get for any team and a huge loss for Nebraska . Position less basketball can only exist with guy's like him . Similar to Nojel he can play a variety spots and is a nightmare to guard .

I have watched him play many times . He attacks constantly and plays much bigger than 6'5 every time I watched him I wanted him more . He will be a huge get for any team and a huge loss for Nebraska . Position less basketball can only exist with guy's like him . Similar to Nojel he can play a variety spots and is a nightmare to guard .
Perfect!!!

How dedicated to D is he since you have seen him? Will he be a Ray Davis or a guy like Smith who eventually learned to be a passable defender?

Reactions: oldboiler52
I could see him at the 3. I also see the 3 as one of our weakest positions. I also see Tre eventually moving to the 4 and allowing Dow to play goalkeeper. I also saw Newman as a 3 and Wheeler as a tall 3.

like many, I rate the unknown higher than the known. My expectations for Wheeler, Sasha and Hunter are not big. I believe they will have careers at Purdue, sort of like Cline and Mathias. I see them more as quality supporting players rather than stars.

How dedicated to D is he since you have seen him? Will he be a Ray Davis or a guy like Smith who eventually learned to be a passable defender?
He is better in man to man than in a zone . He is one of those guys that gets right up on you and plays physical . At one point the Indy heat only had 7 players I think it was a tourney in Ft. Wayne he played 3 or four positions and played them all well . But by no means would I put him on Ray Davis's level . I would say he is a serviceable defender . But an excellent scorer .

Not disagreeing with anything in particular here, but I believe you take the best talent available even if it does not make perfect since from a position standpoint. What if's are a big deal in High major CBB. What if two guys jump to play pro? What if someone/s is lost for the season due to injury? Great teams have bench players that are way better than most teams bench players..

Wasn't there a tweet by an assistant coach during the past year or so indicating that he couldn't/wouldn't talk to a committed recruit? Implication was that a committed recruit had tried to contact him regarding Purdue - perhaps it was Davis?
Not sure but could be. I know he would not talk to Haas until he decommitted. Even as going as far to tell he should stay where he was at. When Haas pulled the trigger it was pretty much a done deal. At least that is how it is told.

I see:

Agreed. Tre just need a constant outside shot and when he has it becomes very hard to handle playing the 4. He is already above average with handles, passing and low post game. He starts knocking down shots and we will all understand why he was ranked so high before his injury.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT