ADVERTISEMENT

Drayvn Gibbs Lawhorn

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may take a half empty Mackey and consecutive losing seasons to get folks’ attention. I’m not driving up there to watch a meh product.
You would be surprised how many people have/do/will...

It has always been difficult to get folks' attention unfortunately, and, they are continuing to ignore what is happening not just around them, but, literally to them.

These issues that existed with DGL were there even before NIL. He was always going to be a flight risk. People blaming him decommitting on NIL isn’t accurate IMO. Even if we paid him a decent amount, I could still see him leaving.
We lost momentum on recruiting other guards when he committed. It will be hard to recover. It might put us in a better spot for 2024 though.

We lost momentum on recruiting other guards when he committed. It will be hard to recover. It might put us in a better spot for 2024 though.

While this is true, and even though he is not ranked highly now, I believe it will eventually take NIL $ to land G Harris as I think he climbs up in rankings where it matters. There are other guards in 24 we are on, but I think G. Harris will end up being the biggest difference maker.

Looked it up this morning on 247. Since Painter's been coaching Purdue, he's had 5 top 50 recruits. One redshirted last year (TKR), Biggie and three that signed 15 years ago. Heck in the last 6 years Purdue has only had 4 top 100 guys (Ivey, Eastern, Furst and TKR).

During Painters reign Izzo's had 22 top 50 guys.

I think Painter, just like Keady, gets the most out of what he has but I don't know if I would call him a great recruiter.
Painter isn't even close to being a great recruiter. He just isn't. He's a basketball nerd that gets a lot from his players, but I see no path to greatness for him. I'm happy to have him at Purdue. But I don't see him or Purdue getting over the hump to the Final Four with the path they're taking.

He should've been ND's to lose. You just got to give Painter credit for his recruitment. Painter has been successful with top 125 recruits.

That's why I'm not really worried until these recruits get on the court. We've been out recruited for years and still compete for the B1G every year.
And never make it any further than that. If you're happy with getting knocked out of the tournament early year after year, I'm happy for you...

Painter isn't even close to being a great recruiter. He just isn't. He's a basketball nerd that gets a lot from his players, but I see no path to greatness for him. I'm happy to have him at Purdue. But I don't see him or Purdue getting over the hump to the Final Four with the path they're taking.
Have to agree with this. Good, but far from great.
And never make it any further than that. If you're happy with getting knocked out of the tournament early year after year, I'm happy for you...
Never said I was happy.... content?(some days). It definitely could be a lot worse as we've seen other programs have been in that position of continuing failure.

I would love to see players that commit stick it out, play here 4 years and win big. In today's world there are only a handful of coaches that are able to sustain the success. Even Izzo has seen a drop off and he's the best in the B1G.

Yes, recruiting has always been our failure with getting to the top of the mountain. I don't know enough of the actual internals that can get us there without breaking any rules or lack thereof.

Reactions: purduepat1969
The only de-commit followed by a re-commit to the same schooI can ever remember is James Blackmon Jr. at IU. Can anyone remember another?

also— while Purdue needs guards in a big way, I would file this kid under “addition by subtraction.” Talented but undersized and a less than optimum family and future as a teammate.

Let Izzo have him and Booker. There are plenty of talented players without headcase issues.
I can’t remember the names, but I do remember just a couple in the last few years. Either way, we aren’t going to reach our highest potential putting dudes on the floor who don’t know they want to be here. Hopefully it works out the best for both parties, whatever that ends up being.

Just be careful not to strain your shoulder giving yourself a pat on the back.
He told you so! It natural for any person who you constantly did and Harass as being stupid who are 95% accurate to come back and tell you o told you do! It’s not a matter of patting ourselves on the back! It’s more a matter of stop getting on our case when our original posts just happen to differ than yours or the majority of people here. Perhaps in the future if you didn’t harass people so much, they wouldn’t feel the need to come back and tell you where to go! Just some food for thought. Right Hausta?

Let’s look at facts, history and trends! He was a top 50 pg! elite point guards don’t sign with Purdue! Are we shocked another Elite pg decided against coming to play for Purdue?

Perhaps it might have something to do with Purdue’s motion offense doesn’t allow their pg to become a floor general and directly run the offense and showcase their talents to nba scouts?

These issues that existed with DGL were there even before NIL. He was always going to be a flight risk. People blaming him decommitting on NIL isn’t accurate IMO. Even if we paid him a decent amount, I could still see him leaving.
For someone who hasn't followed his recruitment very closely, could you elaborate on "issues"? Or do you mean not specific to him, but rather in general that the earlier the commitment, the higher the likelihood of it changing?

Unlike the Pack recruitment where the timing of NIL deal made it really easy to draw a line as to what likely drove where he committed to, I've not seen anything on Twitter or other articles suggesting that his decision to open things up is based on NIL money (but maybe I'm just not following the right people). Understanding the fanbase disappointment in losing a top-50 player, I don't really think its fair to characterize him as just some money-hungry mercenary.

I was just told how great of a recruiter Painter is. Izzo level.... LOL
I

I think this is a most realistic assessment of Purdue and NIL.

It's so ridiculously out of control that I would have no problem with Purdue University taking a defiant stance and attempting to found a conference or association of like-minded schools that return to the concept of student-athletes. Call it the Federated National Intercollegiate League (FNIL).

Absent Congress granting an antitrust exemption or passing a national law allowing for them to do so, you would be back in the same place in short order. NIL is a function of the Supreme Court and various state laws. The NCAA fought tooth and nail for it and its member schools not to have to allow athletes to be compensated to avoid having to share any of the multi-billion dollar pie they are feeding from while screaming amateurism (yes, I know the schools are not paying directly under NIL, but the fear originally was that the schools would have to directly compensate the athletes).

How many B1G crowns has Purdue won with that model in recent years?

And, it has already shown that it is an incredibly monumental task for them to approach reaching a Final Four...that task is about to grow even more difficult likely...unless college basketball goes the way of college football where guys sit out the post-season to protect their draft stock.

The best opportunities that it had to reach a FF were with premier backcourt guys that were indeed NBA-talent (or, close to it in Edwards' case)...the odds of them landing a guy maybe like Edwards or Ivey may remain about the same, but, the odds of retaining them if/when they explode are less with the way things are (NIL and immediate eligibility with the transfer portal).
Purdue has been in the top 4 in the B1G for 7 of the last 8 years. With the exception of the 2018-2019 season, we have played with a large post presence.

Again, not saying we can be a final four team playing 4 shooters with a low post presence but Painter is a good enough coach, we can compete.

This year will be a good test. If we can win with the current combination of guards, i think we'll be able to compete in the future NIL or not.

Purdue has been in the top 4 in the B1G for 7 of the last 8 years. With the exception of the 2018-2019 season, we have played with a large post presence.

Again, not saying we can be a final four team playing 4 shooters with a low post presence but Painter is a good enough coach, we can compete.

This year will be a good test. If we can win with the current combination of guards, i think we'll be able to compete in the future NIL or not.
That's where we keep with the same concept in recruiting our bigs and bring some top tier guards. Recipe for a F4 IMO

Again, if Painter could and would play by rules,Izzo plays by, I think Matt is better at locating talent and thus would out recruit him, but Purdue will never play by those rules.
Give some specifics. Show where Izzo has had violations. And don't give me the crap about hiring a coach for a 1 time ball camp.

maybe it is good in the long run.
Could be, but, if it were the actual case or even a concern, no way they would have offered likely.

It is basically a way to try to rationalize it so as to try to make it seem more bearable...we can spin it however...bottom line, Purdue just lost the 3rd highest-rated recruit it had obtained a commitment from in program history...and, it is not as if it has opportunities to land those type of guys with any regularity.

Ultimately...it appears that he might not have been a good fit, or, been happy...so, in the end, it may be good in the long run as you suggest if that were to be the case, but, it is not just a blow...it is a big blow...and, more so in that they are unlikely to find another guy as talented that is even interested, much less a potential commit.

Love and appreciate it, but, if Zach were a top-100 guy coming out and NIL had existed, it may not have not seemed wild.

It probably is not as wild to those guys...and, in the case of many (guys at 'Zona...Kentucky...LSU...Auburn...Louisville, etc.), it was anything but wild...in fact, the reverse was/is true...deciding on a school for anything but a paycheck seemed wild to those guys likely.

It will be interesting to see if he feels the same when he might have to make a decision after this year (or even the following).

Do Purdue fans not already embrace those athletes?

The difference is, it was easy for a guy like Swanigan or E'Twaun or Ivey to choose Purdue for what it offered...now...with the opportunity to literally cash in, it is hard to imagine those type of guys choosing to play at/for Purdue simply for the glory of doing so.

I tried to embrace DGL and Rickie.. following on IG, Twitter. DGL’s post were never about Purdue in any way .. Rickie’s were only to the extent that he was pressed..

Compare that to Karlaftis, Colvin and Berglund.. a much different feel

I tried to embrace DGL and Rickie.. following on IG, Twitter. DGL’s post were never about Purdue in any way .. Rickie’s were only to the extent that he was pressed..

Compare that to Karlaftis, Colvin and Berglund.. a much different feel
It takes all kinds. Not everyone is born a rah rah person. I'll never be convinced that Carsen or Ivey developed a deep love for Purdue like Robbie or Rapheal. But they were great assets to the basketball program while they were here and handled their business off the court. Chances are DGL will always be about himself first and wherever he ends up he will feel the same way about. Chances are he will also be a good player.

Family drama issues. It’s laid out pretty clearly on the premium board.

CMP obviously was fully aware of everything when he recruited & offered. Thus, all that on KHC is the BS stuff people say after one of these recruitments go off the rails, CMP & staff knew all & was excited for this kid to be a Boiler, and staff is disappointed now he's not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT