ADVERTISEMENT

Doyel thinks C Edwards is going to be the new alpha on the team.

Well he did say by mid season so that implies knowing how they all are playing.
There is no evidence that suggests he will be starting mid season either. All we have seen are highlight videos and the video of him dunking in the other thread. We can discuss further after we see him play later this month.

That's certainly your opinion, and you are entitled to it.....even if it's wrong!

I think a tangible argument could be made that our offense and defense are better with PJ in the lineup and not Cline. And I think it's been demonstrated.
Lol.... Cline got so high last year that he passed out in his car with it running and still started most the season. CMP loves him and what's not to.... He would have been Mr. Basketball had Biggie not skipped a year. He will start all season.

Yep, I'm the one who doesn't get it. You're right. There is only one way to generate offense at the end of a game.

Pj is going to start, I hate to break your hearts. He's a senior and has earned it. Now if somebody is clearly better a choice will be made. But some of you are acting like you already have talked to Painter

Reactions: tynd10
I did not reply to anyone on this string and did not even read them all. PJ plays until someone pushes him out from a performance standpoint.

The dude can ball with anyone. Some look at his size and want him out of there. There is more to the game. If it's clear that someone is beating him out I am sure PJ would be the first to say "coach he is better than me" play him for teams sake.

Until someone can beat him out in all facets of the game he plays the major min. At point.

Out of 360 D1 programs out there I would bet that 320 of them would take a senior that does not turn the ball over, makes the correct pass and makes his foul shots reguardless of what his weakness may be.

May go down as one of of the most unheralded stars of Purdue basketball Look at the stats. PJ does not hurt you. He has earned it and that should mean something in amuture BB

And I am most certain the most important person in the equation knows what he is working with. With everything the new comers bring Coach should be telling the young guns if you want to play you better watch what that guy does.

Resorting to Gregg Doyle for a feel good is horrible. I will let the play speak for itself when it happens. Gregg Doyle is a paid bull s-itter.

My contention is that PJ will start if he earns starting minutes, not just because he's a senior. and the same applies to Haas, V Edwards and Mathias. If given more minutes, and Haas proves to be foul prone and still lacks stamina, then we have a guy named Taylor who is ready to prove he belongs. V Edwards found his lackadaisical play earned him some time on the bench. We should never just give players starting roles based on their class.

And rather than saying Painter is going to bench PJ or Haas, I would say the play of Eastern, C Edwards, Wheeler, Ewing and/ or Taylor will earn them additional playing time and a starting role. Nothing is ever given.

I think we can all agree what the starting 5 is going to be for the first game of the upcoming university games. but what we are seeing and hearing about is that unlike other years and other teams, we have 6 players that currently are not projected as starters that have the talent, and could force their way into a starting role .

this is sort of unfamiliar territory for Purdue basketball. think about it A team of C Edwards, Eastern/Cline, Wheeler, Ewing and Taylor could probably win 15-20 games next year. those guys are actually that good. I doubt any team in the country other than UK has a bench better than ours.

And Painter is NOT going to BENCH anybody. But he may ELEVATE somebody!

Reactions: Fansince72
There is no evidence that suggests he will be starting mid season either. All we have seen are highlight videos and the video of him dunking in the other thread. We can discuss further after we see him play later this month.
No there isn't any evidence. I was pointing out to you that the poster was not saying he should be starting now as you asserted. He was saying by mid season he thinks Eastern may take the job. my stance is that I don't know because like 99.9% of us, I have not seen them play this year.

Why would I give it to him at the top of the key with 6 seconds left when I can run him off a double screen for an open shot and if the secondary screener jumps him, I have the 4 or 5 roll to the goal?
Because you dont always have time for a time out to set up a play. Also plays dont always work right as fefenses can play them differently and now the players are up against the clock trying to read a situation rather than just going.

Players win games, not sets

Why should Eastern start? He has yet to play a game. No one knows if he will be good or not at this point. The same can be said for the rest of the new guys. I'm with holding judgement until they actually play a few games against decent opponents. There is no evidence available right now that suggests PJ won't/shouldn't start.

I said by B10 season. Meaning, PJ and Eastern will have 12 games to sort out who should be starting.
With CE and DM on the floor at the same time, you have 2 good shooters but neither who can create their own shot. I think Cline replaces DM when DM needs a break because they're the most interchangeable whereas someone like Eastern brings a very different look and skillset.

I said by B10 season. Meaning, PJ and Eastern will have 12 games to sort out who should be starting.
With CE and DM on the floor at the same time, you have 2 good shooters but neither who can create their own shot. I think Cline replaces DM when DM needs a break because they're the most interchangeable whereas someone like Eastern brings a very different look and skillset.
I said there is no evidence right now that suggests Eastern will replace him at all. It doesn't matter if you meant before the season or during conference. There is not enough information. Unless you have talked to Painter, and he has told you that it looks like Eastern will be overtaking PJ in the starting lineup at some point, your prediction has no weight. CE can't get his own shot?

Reactions: BoiledSteel
I said there is no evidence right now that suggests Eastern will replace him at all. It doesn't matter if you meant before the season or during conference. There is not enough information. Unless you have talked to Painter, and he has told you that it looks like Eastern will be overtaking PJ in the starting lineup at some point, your prediction has no weight. CE can't get his own shot?
Some people on here don't think things logically and seem to have it in for PJ even though his stats have been very good.

Reality is that there is no reason to not start PJ all season long unless he starts to tank.

Reality is that there is no reason to not start PJ all season long unless he starts to tank.
I believe the biggest key for Eastern to take time from PJ, outside of him tanking, is Eastern becoming a clutch free throw shooter and a legit 3 point threat (~35%). As good of a passer as he is, I believe his shot is the area he needs to make the biggest improvements.

I believe the biggest key for Eastern to take time from PJ, outside of him tanking, is Eastern becoming a clutch free throw shooter and a legit 3 point threat (~35%). As good of a passer as he is, I believe his shot is the area he needs to make the biggest improvements.
I agree that his shot is the area that needs the biggest improvement, but his ball security could also be a concern. We know PJ wont turn the ball over. Eastern is a freshmen coming into a new position (SF in high school). We can't, at this point, predict if Eastern will be able to play PG at the college level. He might end up a wing. We have no idea.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I agree that his shot is the area that needs the biggest improvement, but his ball security could also be a concern. We know PJ wont turn the ball over. Eastern is a freshmen coming into a new position (SF in high school). We can't, at this point, predict if Eastern will be able to play PG at the college level. He might end up a wing. We have no idea.

how can you make an assessment on Eastern's shot in one post and then in another post say there is "no evidence" ??? Obviously, there is evidence. if not, you shouldn't be evaluating his shot. and just because players have not played a game, doesn't mean Painter has not been practicing different combinations and watching how players are building their own team chemistry. you don't wait until game time to make player decisions - unless your last name is Hazell. that's what practice is for and about.

As for myself, I'll repeat, no Boiler player is going to tank or get benched. But some, maybe one or two of Eastern, Wheeler, Ewing, Taylor and C Edwards may prove on the court or in practice that their talent is far superior than the incumbent at their position and forcing more playing time and potentially starting. it won't happen on day 1, but it may happen sooner than people realize.

Reactions: nagemj02
how can you make an assessment on Eastern's shot in one post and then in another post say there is "no evidence" ??? Obviously, there is evidence. if not, you shouldn't be evaluating his shot. and just because players have not played a game, doesn't mean Painter has not been practicing different combinations and watching how players are building their own team chemistry. you don't wait until game time to make player decisions - unless your last name is Hazell. that's what practice is for and about.

As for myself, I'll repeat, no Boiler player is going to tank or get benched. But some, maybe one or two of Eastern, Wheeler, Ewing, Taylor and C Edwards may prove on the court or in practice that their talent is far superior than the incumbent at their position and forcing more playing time and potentially starting. it won't happen on day 1, but it may happen sooner than people realize.
Your are correct that those players MAY start eventually. With that same logic I could say Sasha MAY start at SG over Mathias if he outplays him. It's unlikely, just like it's unlikely PJ doesn't start. I didn't say Eastern's shot was terrible right now. I said coming in his shot was the biggest thing he needed to work on. We know that as fact. He could have remedied that since he has been on campus.

That's why it's called a 'prediction'. In other words, a 'guess'. What evidence do I base it on:
Top 100 recruit
6'6 PG
Good ball handler
Very good athlete
Painter willing to start freshmen
Hence, why I want to see what happens in the preconference before I'm more confident in my prediction.

As for Cline not being able to get his own shot...Have you watch any Purdue games in the last 2 years? How many times have you seen Cline take his man off the dribble and create something? Rarely if ever.
It's not his game. He's a spot up 3 pt shooter.

That's why it's called a 'prediction'. In other words, a 'guess'. What evidence do I base it on:
Top 100 recruit
6'6 PG
Good ball handler
Very good athlete
Painter willing to start freshmen
Hence, why I want to see what happens in the preconference before I'm more confident in my prediction.

As for Cline not being able to get his own shot...Have you watch any Purdue games in the last 2 years? How many times have you seen Cline take his man off the dribble and create something? Rarely if ever.
It's not his game. He's a spot up 3 pt shooter.
You should read posts before you reply. My question was "CE can't get his own shot?". "CE" refers to Carsen Edwards. You said Carsen and Dakota can't get their own shots. That's false. Carsen definitely can get his own shot. As for your "prediction", I predict you are wrong and that PJ starts all year. End of story.

My thoughts center around C Edwards, Eastern and Haas. I believe C Edwards and Eastern will find a way to earn additional minutes at the expense of other players. Many point at PJ as the likely loser in minutes. But I believe it could also be Mathias and V Edwards losing minutes as well. As for Haas, it's not that I'm against him. I just believe Taylor and Ewing are going to surprise people. .and we might go with a Ewing/Haas tandem at PF/C and let V Edwards play SF.

We have plenty of offensive weapons and three point shooters. But we need somebody who's willing to do the dirty work and crash the boards. that person could be Taylor or Ewing .

This year is going to be so hard to predict as there are so many different possible combinations and interchangeable parts.. For each position there is a player who is currently a back-up that could easily start.

Each of us could have our favorite starting 5, and I doubt any two would match, and I truly believe any combo will be successful. However, I will reserve my tourney forecast until I see the bracket. predicting a one and done tourney is a lot different than predicting a regular season. the talent is there. but we will see how it blends, and how the ball falls.

and I'll repeat - no player is going to tank or get benched. but we may be shocked to see the talent level of our new young guns on display. Wheeler came from a national championship team. Ewing was the best juco power forward in the country. We beat out Izzo for Eastern. C Edwards played for our national USA team. You can criticize all you want or predict who the starting line-up is. This is going to be a great year.

You should read posts before you reply. My question was "CE can't get his own shot?". "CE" refers to Carsen Edwards. You said Carsen and Dakota can't get their own shots. That's false. Carsen definitely can get his own shot. As for your "prediction", I predict you are wrong and that PJ starts all year. End of story.

I think that may have been a typo, but I'll let Lenny correct the record as it was his post. He wrote CE, but in looking at the rest of it, I think he meant RC....as I had the same question.....don't think many would agree that CE can't get his own shot....(pardon the double negative).

No matter who starts, I know PJ will give everything he's got.....and CMP definitely trusts him. In addition, many are excited to see what Nojel Eastern and Carsen Edwards can bring this year....they are the future in the back-court....I hope none of the players get too hung-up on starting/coming off the bench, but I know it can sometimes be an issue. Good problems to have in my book....as long as the players know the "team" is above it and can handle it.

Because you dont always have time for a time out to set up a play. Also plays dont always work right as fefenses can play them differently and now the players are up against the clock trying to read a situation rather than just going.

Players win games, not sets
I thought we were talking about with 10 seconds left. If there are 3 seconds left, I agree that we want the ball in one of the Edwards' brothers hands.

With 10 seconds left, good coaches provide multiple options and anticipate defensive adjustments.

I'm not sure how much basketball you watch but I've seen plenty of good sets win games when executed by good players.

I am reminded of the Bulls with MJ. He was no question the star. And he made his share of last second game winning shots. but there was that one time where he faked everybody out and passed to Steve Kerr who drained that open three to win the game.

And I see C Edwards doing the same in those last 10 seconds. . I can see him trying to create, and taking some game winning shots. But I can also see Cline and Dakota in the wings, and C Edwards passing them the ball for 3 !!!

Oops. I meant CE can definitely get his own shot, better than anyone else on the team. I meant Cline can't get his own shot.

As for PJ, he's had the benefit of being able to dump it into an NBA big man the last 3 years. I'm not sure this years offense will revolve around the block like it had with AJ and Biggie. Haas isn't the same low post threat and scorer those two were, so if he's forced to create more, that's not his game.

I thought we were talking about with 10 seconds left. If there are 3 seconds left, I agree that we want the ball in one of the Edwards' brothers hands.

With 10 seconds left, good coaches provide multiple options and anticipate defensive adjustments.

I'm not sure how much basketball you watch but I've seen plenty of good sets win games when executed by good players.

Last year, if we had the last possession of the half, I would be screaming at the TV, yelling at Painter to get a TO so he could set up a play to get the ball in CE's hands. Not sure why he doesn't treat the end of the half like the end of the game and practice getting a clutch shoot from your playmaker with time running out. Can't tell you how many times we ended with a crap, helter skelter finish with the ball at halftime.

One more huge question.....how do you rank Purdue's 4 returning seniors against Seton Hall's 4 seniors? Three of the returning Pirates have scored 1000+ points. Delgado lead the nation in rebounding.

Oops. I meant CE can definitely get his own shot, better than anyone else on the team. I meant Cline can't get his own shot.

As for PJ, he's had the benefit of being able to dump it into an NBA big man the last 3 years. I'm not sure this years offense will revolve around the block like it had with AJ and Biggie. Haas isn't the same low post threat and scorer those two were, so if he's forced to create more, that's not his game.
I agree with this. I do think we will work mostly through Haas though to start the year at least.

Who is the PF? Vincent Edwards? They list him on 247 as a SF.

I would agree at the beginning of the year those 5 listed above are going to be our starting five. and it will change based on the teams we play. I'd like to see V Edwards play SF with Ewing at PF, but that would mean one of PJ, C Edwards or Mathias will be sitting.

He played mostly 4 alongside Swanigan last year. He can play either.

Vin Edwards is a terrific player, but other than Haas (and VE), lineup is rather small. 5"10", 6"0 and 6"4". Pirates would have a height advantage, except at center. On the other hand, you have a huge edge on the foul line (Pirates are awful) and you commit 100+ less turnovers than SHU. Pirates also don't block many shots. SHU might be the top rebounding team in the nation during 2017-18. Wish the Pirates were playing the Boilermakers rather than Indiana in the BE/Big 10 challenge.

Vin Edwards is a terrific player, but other than Haas (and VE), lineup is rather small. 5"10", 6"0 and 6"4". Pirates would have a height advantage, except at center. On the other hand, you have a huge edge on the foul line (Pirates are awful) and you commit 100+ less turnovers than SHU. Pirates also don't block many shots. SHU might be the top rebounding team in the nation during 2017-18. Wish the Pirates were playing the Boilermakers rather than Indiana in the BE/Big 10 challenge.

Purdue does not have height with starters, but will have some length and athleticism that hopefully will mix well as a change of pace off the bench with 6'6 PG Eastern, 6'9 3/4 forwards Wheeler and Ewing, and 7'3 4/5 Haarms. Also Jaquil Taylor is a 6'10 4/5 coming off injury.

We are all crossing fingers the new bench guys can play, and if reports from summer ball so far are true, this could be a great year for Purdue.

Purdue fans will be cheering for the Pirates against IU in November! Should be a good non- conference game.

True, on paper the starters look small but in person you will notice these are not skinny kids but grown men. And when A 7'2" 290 zero fat center is there with them you will see that they are not small.
There is a lot of talented length coming off the bench as well. You may want to look at depth in your article as that could be a factor as well. Purdue is a combination of tremendous experience and long athletic newcomers that may make for a special season. The game should be a fun one!
Can you tell us about the Pirates?

Reactions: Roeder
Out of 360 D1 programs out there I would bet that 320 of them would take a senior that does not turn the ball over, makes the correct pass and makes his foul shots reguardless of what his weakness may be.

May go down as one of of the most unheralded stars of Purdue basketball Look at the stats. PJ does not hurt you. He has earned it and that should mean something in amuture BB

And I am most certain the most important person in the equation knows what he is working with. With everything the new comers bring Coach should be telling the young guns if you want to play you better watch what that guy does.

Agree 100%. Another pro PJ stat is that he shoots 40% from 3. You can't sag off him and he hit some clutch shots last year(@ Ohio State comes to mind).

When I watch games Thompson is one of the few guys (along with Vince and Dakota) that I want to shoot because I think he'll make it everytime, usually because it's a good shot he's taking.

I think PJ needs to play with Haas to open up the floor spacing for Isaac to operate in the middle.

Having Eastern will be a nice change of pace however, and will give Purdue an option against teams with bigger PGs PJ struggled guarding last year like Trimble and Carr from Penn St. Matchups will dictate minutes too.

Purdue does not have height with starters, but will have some length and athleticism that hopefully will mix well as a change of pace off the bench with 6'6 PG Eastern, 6'9 3/4 forwards Wheeler and Ewing, and 7'3 4/5 Haarms. Also Jaquil Taylor is a 6'10 4/5 coming off injury.

We are all crossing fingers the new bench guys can play, and if reports from summer ball so far are true, this could be a great year for Purdue.

Purdue fans will be cheering for the Pirates against IU in November! Should be a good non- conference game.

Aye.....Boiler Up, me matey!

5831529.png

Thanks for the excellent reply. As much as I love my Pirates, I think Purdue is a shade better. SHU's putrid foul shooting and sloppy ball-handling will continue to plague us. However, our rebounding and offensive fire power might help us overtake Villanova in the BE.

Why should Eastern start? He has yet to play a game. No one knows if he will be good or not at this point. The same can be said for the rest of the new guys. I'm with holding judgement until they actually play a few games against decent opponents. There is no evidence available right now that suggests PJ won't/shouldn't start.

Because he is a better player than Cline. It is the same reason that Biggie started as a freshman. Eastern is an absolute stud. He may not start day one, but if he shows out at WUG, then I fully expect him to start day one. Gives Purdue something they haven't had in a while. The only reason you wouldn't start him, is if you want PJ starting with Haas. That way a Eastern can be on the floor with Ewing, which would be an even better fit if you mix in Carsen (who will likely be tied with Vince and Dakota for most mpg. It would be safe to say Carsen, Vince, and Dakota are locks as starters if injuries aren't a factor). Looking at the highlight videos of practice, it is almost always Ewing, Carsen, Eastern, and sometimes Wheeler. Senior leadership is huge, but the new guys should have a giant impact and if they are better than expected, this could be the best mix of talent Purdue has had in a long time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT