ADVERTISEMENT

Doyel on Edwards

Purdue Engineering students stepped up last year to try and create a device to allow Haas to play with his injury. Maybe the college of Pharmacy could step up for Carsen this year??

Reactions: euchre13
Now the fans are questioning whether he even has a back situation? Unreal.

Get'em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WsC4R.png

Don't know about the time frame but he hasn't seemed to be able to cut as sharply and shake defenders crossing the lane in the past couple of weeks.

Purdue Engineering students stepped up last year to try and create a device to allow Haas to play with his injury. Maybe the college of Pharmacy could step up for Carsen this year??

It's interesting that the two PU players in question have been the most fouled in recent times...……..mostly with no call

Reactions: QBoiler12
The thing is, Carsen has had good games in this span. It's not that it isn't a challenge for him - but the terrible decision making has nothing to do with a bad back. It killed us again last night - he was doing fine in the first half. Teams collapse on him because they know he's going to take the shot. Illinois' coach said so after we played them - they know once the ball is in his hand they assume he's just going to take it, whether it's a good shot or not.

He's gotta shake the back injury and get back to the Carsen of 2017-18, where he was an aggressive player that made much better decisions, if we want to have success in the tournament.

Well, it ain't a fricking light switch...….but hopefully CE can get back into form. Cline went thru a big period where he was not shooting well at all, but seemed to get past it for the most part. It needs to happen for CE, if for no other reason than to shut some of you people up.

The NCAA takes injuries into account when seeding teams. Painter isn't going to broadcast an injury and besides he never makes excuses anyhow.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
So, another reason he should of been sitting Carsen, but he still gets 36 minutes a game. Those are the back problems I need. lol

The puzzling thing about the back injury since January is why CP would have continued to play him so much if what he really needed wasto rest sndvgetbbetter. And I agree that if his back has been hurting since January, there’s not much hope of getting him to full strength by next Thursday or Friday. If Carsen’s back is still no good for the NCAA, I fear we’ll be looking at an early exit from the tourney. I sure hope not.

Never seen anyone with a bad back move around like he does.....Cline sort of responded like it was news to him....
OK. That's just dumb. I get your criticism of shot selection and apparent selfish play, but are you now diagnosing injuries? Did you see GRob against Duke in the second half? Did you diagnose the problem as a back injury? Or did you diagnose from his movements that there was no injury and conclude that everyone just made up a story about an injury?

The puzzling thing about the back injury since January is why CP would have continued to play him so much if what he really needed wasto rest sndvgetbbetter. And I agree that if his back has been hurting since January, there’s not much hope of getting him to full strength by next Thursday or Friday. If Carsen’s back is still no good for the NCAA, I fear we’ll be looking at an early exit from the tourney. I sure hope not.
It’s been since February. But it’s enough to play though.

So is your position that CE shouldn’t play at all?
I think that if his back has been affecting his play since January and playing the minutes he’s played has prevented it from getting well, then, yes
I think it would have been better for him and the team tomiss some playing time. But We’re not the ones who can make these calls with any intelligence. I would think we have some medical expertise weighing in with the coaching staff about what’s-the best for getting him back to full strength. But in hindsight, whatever Carsen’s been doing has failed to get him back to 100% for several weeks. and I find that to be a bit scary with less than a week to tourney time

If this injury occurred in January and is causing a player to limp in March then it is more than just a back injury. What signs of any type of injury were noticed if any in February? Injuries don't all of a sudden show their sign 6-8 weeks later.

I know from experience. I've spent a lot of time in hospitals and watching my own son rehab from his various injuries. His coach allowed him to be a warrior at his last indoor meet and now he's walking around in a boot and will miss 6 weeks of competition! He popped his knee and had an ankle strain. He finished last in the hurdles! But like a warrior. He finished. Being a warrior is selfish and BS. Being a warrior and being allowed to compete in 5 more events after his injury may have ended his college track career! We'll find out in April after he's scratched from the next 4 meets.

If Carsen was truly bothered by this injury, it should have been identified immediately and proper safeguards taken. As a parent of an athlete I cannot believe Coach Pinter allowed Carsen to play as much as he did for the past 6 weeks if he was injured. I can believe the injury was from the previous game.

As a parent I can't believe any athlete would be allowed to play through obvious pain although I've seen it happen all too often as stupid players try to be heros to please the fans and try to win the game.

Reactions: purduepat1969
This is just as bad. Again, I get the criticisms. But now you are prescribing treatment. Purdue has excellent sports doctors and athletic trainers. They know whether he should or shouldn't be playing.

I in no way implied treatment. I said if it was that bad he probably shouldn't have been playing. Warriors who miss a significant number of shots, make bad decisions, and aren't close to 100% hurt the team. It's not a matter of whether he can play. If a doctor says it's OK to play, then it's a matter of whether he can be effective while he's playing. And that's Painter's call, not a sports trainer or medical doctor.

Actually a doctor has authority over a coach to make a decision! A doctor also has authority over generals and pilots if they can deploy to war or not! I have inside sources fro Dr. wolegib who grounded many pilots many several generals unhappy. Dr wolegib friend was once a medical trainer at IU who is also now a military doctor. Painter is not the final decision maker. Final word is he player.

But in the game of rock, paper , scissors, a doctor's orders outweigh a coach!

I in no way implied treatment. I said if it was that bad he probably shouldn't have been playing. Warriors who miss a significant number of shots, make bad decisions, and aren't close to 100% hurt the team. It's not a matter of whether he can play. If a doctor says it's OK to play, then it's a matter of whether he can be effective while he's playing. And that's Painter's call, not a sports trainer or medical doctor.
Understood. But coaches rely on the doctors. If the doctor says he's good to go, then the coach needs to put his best players on the floor.

I'm with you guys who question shot selection and not sharing the ball. I stated it a few weeks ago and choose not to continue harping on it. Carsen and the team are at their best when everyone shares the ball, rebounds, and plays defense. No one should be one-dimensional and carry the load in any category. That tells an opponent exactly what they need to do to stop Purdue.

Understood. But coaches rely on the doctors. If the doctor says he's good to go, then the coach needs to put his best players on the floor.

I'm with you guys who question shot selection and not sharing the ball. I stated it a few weeks ago and choose not to continue harping on it. Carsen and the team are at their best when everyone shares the ball, rebounds, and plays defense. No one should be one-dimensional and carry the load in any category. That tells an opponent exactly what they need to do to stop Purdue.

He can also take his "best" player off the floor when it's clear he's not having a good game. One decision isn't exclusive from the other. Last night was just a bad coaching job plain and simple.

I was under the impression the limp was repercussions from the shin collision in the NW game. If so, I know from experience the best way to aggravate a back injury is to walk around with a limp.

Don't know what type back problem Edwards has, but when a person's back tightens up, it makes you feel weaker and just flat out miserable. Can remember stretching out like he was doing. Hopefully it lets loose and stays that way.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
OK. That's just dumb. I get your criticism of shot selection and apparent selfish play, but are you now diagnosing injuries? Did you see GRob against Duke in the second half? Did you diagnose the problem as a back injury? Or did you diagnose from his movements that there was no injury and conclude that everyone just made up a story about an injury?
Bottom line is.....no coach or trainers are going to allow a player to play virtually an entire game week in and week out, if in fact he has any form of a serious injury. Not in this "cover your ass" mentality world we live in. Did he tweak it maybe a while back, and maybe it flared up a little in the MN game.......that I will buy. But by no means am I buying into his sub par play for the past 2 months as being related to a bad back. No way you can tell me that that bit of information would not have leaked out to the public somehow...

Bottom line is.....no coach or trainers are going to allow a player to play virtually an entire game week in and week out, if in fact he has any form of a serious injury. Not in this "cover your ass" mentality world we live in. Did he tweak it maybe a while back, and maybe it flared up a little in the MN game.......that I will buy. But by no means am I buying into his sub par play for the past 2 months as being related to a bad back. No way you can tell me that that bit of information would not have leaked out to the public somehow...
It’s actually quite easy for Purdue to control information. People didn’t know Sindelar was playing on a torn ACL until the end of the season. My guess is this is one of those scenarios where he’s had good days and bad days and the doctor said playing through wouldn’t cause further/permanent damage.

If this injury occurred in January and is causing a player to limp in March then it is more than just a back injury. What signs of any type of injury were noticed if any in February? Injuries don't all of a sudden show their sign 6-8 weeks later.

I know from experience. I've spent a lot of time in hospitals and watching my own son rehab from his various injuries. His coach allowed him to be a warrior at his last indoor meet and now he's walking around in a boot and will miss 6 weeks of competition! He popped his knee and had an ankle strain. He finished last in the hurdles! But like a warrior. He finished. Being a warrior is selfish and BS. Being a warrior and being allowed to compete in 5 more events after his injury may have ended his college track career! We'll find out in April after he's scratched from the next 4 meets.

If Carsen was truly bothered by this injury, it should have been identified immediately and proper safeguards taken. As a parent of an athlete I cannot believe Coach Pinter allowed Carsen to play as much as he did for the past 6 weeks if he was injured. I can believe the injury was from the previous game.

As a parent I can't believe any athlete would be allowed to play through obvious pain although I've seen it happen all too often as stupid players try to be heros to please the fans and try to win the game.
Spot on............................

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT