ADVERTISEMENT

Dontay Hunter

PaBoiler78

All-American
Jan 18, 2002
w/ the woes the defense is experiencing, was hoping to see Hunter get some PT, has he played at all?

He’s a true freshman. Prob needs to add more weight.
"Free year" from an eligibility standpoint, and, whether he needs to add weight or not, no reason that he is not getting an opportunity, and, hard to believe that he could/would not help in any way given what we have seen to date.

"Free year" from an eligibility standpoint, and, whether he needs to add weight or not, no reason that he is not getting an opportunity, and, hard to believe that he could/would not help in any way given what we have seen to date.
'No reason he isn't getting an opportunity....' as he gets pancaked into the turf and is pushed out of position and the already terrible defense gets worse because guys are playing that aren't ready.

There is a difference between playing out of necessity and playing out of opportunity. A few years ago Hunter would all but likely be playing because there was literally nobody else to play....there are guys who are more capable and more able to play in front of him. It's hard to be really good as a true frosh on either side of the LOS. GK's ability last year was incredible and Hartwig's is equally impressive, IMO

'No reason he isn't getting an opportunity....' as he gets pancaked into the turf and is pushed out of position and the already terrible defense gets worse because guys are playing that aren't ready.

There is a difference between playing out of necessity and playing out of opportunity. A few years ago Hunter would all but likely be playing because there was literally nobody else to play....there are guys who are more capable and more able to play in front of him. It's hard to be really good as a true frosh on either side of the LOS. GK's ability last year was incredible and Hartwig's is equally impressive, IMO
While I agree with your point in the bigger picture and greater context, quite frankly, there is nobody more capable/able in front of him in that the guys up front are being equally pancaked into the turf, pushed out of position, and, flat run over/dominated.

While that may happen to/with him as well...sitting idle on the sidelines and watching it happen to those ahead of him does not seem productive, nor really make much sense.

Let him play when the rest of the defense is doing little. Perhaps he'll bring in some passion and fire and re-enthuse the defense. Perhaps some other players, too, could have a similar impact. At least you're not just sitting back letting yourself be pushed around without doing anything, to accept another loss.

I am typically on the optimistic/patient side of things. This team is overall young and the recruited talent skews even younger.

However....

I am beginning to question the development of the talent from the 2018 and 2019 classes. I wouldn't expect those guys to be dominating the depth chart yet, but out of a bunch of 2nd and 3rd year guys (mostly 3 and some 4 star recruits), there ought to be a handful making a positive impact. More impact than nearly zero pass rush. More impact than the opponent backup QB rushing up the middle at will. At that point when some of the starters are playing like freshmen 2 and 3 stars, how can these guys not be getting PT?

That's where these questions come from IMO. Not specifically one guy, but as a whole Hunter, Faucheux, Johnson, Deen, Stokes, Sullivan, Kpaka, Marks, etc.

Unfortunately, with one or two adequate space fillers from the 2017 class this wouldn't be nearly the issue it is. But those evacuations- Reviere, Higgins, Daniels - leave the roster relying on more early bloomers than what the following classes have produced.

Reactions: NVboiler
w/ the woes the defense is experiencing, was hoping to see Hunter get some PT, has he played at all?

he plays the same position as Mitchell but me he’s a hand in the dirt guy.. we should be in a 4-3 where he might overtake Mitchell ... he’s supposed to have some real burst

I don't believe looking forward at next year, it is suited to be a 3/4 defense either. We sure aren't recruiting with a 3/4 in mind.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT