ADVERTISEMENT

Does Wheeler start at TX?

I think we need to temper our expectations a bit. He had a great game against Maryland. I'd like to see it on a consistent basis before we basically declare him the 3rd best player on the team. I don't know what kind of matchup Texas presents so I don't know if Painter will start him necessarily. I don't know much about them at all other than Smart getting good recruits but not really having a whole lot of success with them yet.

I think we need to temper our expectations a bit. He had a great game against Maryland. I'd like to see it on a consistent basis before we basically declare him the 3rd best player on the team. I don't know what kind of matchup Texas presents so I don't know if Painter will start him necessarily. I don't know much about them at all other than Smart getting good recruits but not really having a whole lot of success with them yet.

That’s the point though. Painter needs to let him learn on the fly. Let him make mistakes during games and not have a quick hook.
Keady (and even Painter) has been known to put a guy on the bench right after a mistake. Let him work through it.

No. The bench needs someone who can create their own shot. Putting Eifert on the bench doesn't make much sense to me. He's the teams glue guy right now with his effort and physicality. Wheeler should come off the bench for at least a few more games. He's a perfect spark plug to come in. He can still play starter minutes off the bench. I would love to see Purdue try to start Wheeler at the 5 against small teams and let them run.

No. The bench needs someone who can create their own shot. Putting Eifert on the bench doesn't make much sense to me. He's the teams glue guy right now with his effort and physicality. Wheeler should come off the bench for at least a few more games. He's a perfect spark plug to come in. He can still play starter minutes off the bench. I would love to see Purdue try to start Wheeler at the 5 against small teams and let them run.
Yeah I have to agree with this, even though Wheeler is better than GE starting might be too much too soon for him. Like you said he can still play starter minutes from the bench.

I don’t think GE has done so much as lose the job as AW has done to win it.
AW just brings a different dimension on both ends. I think the more he plays, the better he gets.

We really should focus less on the starting lineup and instead on minutes and when those happen. Haarms was starting and playing 16 minutes some games after coming out at or before the first media timeout.
I think wheeler will get an equal chance to play more minutes. If he plays like the Maryland game he'll play a lot. If he's in foul trouble or struggling grady will play more.
Purdue will be a better team when wheeler is playing well and I'm more optimistic that will happen consistently at some point this season.

We really should focus less on the starting lineup and instead on minutes and when those happen. Haarms was starting and playing 16 minutes some games after coming out at or before the first media timeout.
I think wheeler will get an equal chance to play more minutes. If he plays like the Maryland game he'll play a lot. If he's in foul trouble or struggling grady will play more.
Purdue will be a better team when wheeler is playing well and I'm more optimistic that will happen consistently at some point this season.

Agree.

Wheeler, a RS FR, is generally playing 10-17 min/game. That's solid.

Against MD, he went 21 minutes.

If he continues to progress, he'll play more minutes. If he steps back he'll get 10-17/game.

Let's let the game come to him, and let him continue to gain confidence. As he does that, he'll see more minutes.

Interesting to note, Grady's minutes have been coming down.

I’ve always been of the belief you have your best players on the floor, not storing talent on the bench.

Yeah I have to agree with this, even though Wheeler is better than GE starting might be too much too soon for him. Like you said he can still play starter minutes from the bench.

Cause we started so well in the Maryland game padding the lead early.
Oh my bad, we didn't have a lead till the second half.

Reactions: IUhaterade
Wheeler needs to start. Its not fair to Grady to have him guarding the players he does. He may even stick with his man but the problem is nobody is intimidated when they face up with him. He doesn' and can't affect their shot and it gives opposing players more confidence. Let him come in as a sub against the other teams bench and I think we see more production out of him on a per minute basis. Wheeler also pairs much better with Evan who is an important part of our offense especially with offensive rebounds.

I realize Grady maximizes his abilities and gives it his all (as does every player on the floor) but the fact remains he’s a walk-in for a reason.
I’d be interested to see if he’d start on any other B10 team.
I think he’s be better coming off the bench, bringing a shot of energy to the second team, maybe getting a few good physical fouls on the other teams scorer.

Great post. Too many attribute athleticism to being better when that's not true in many cases. Eifert brings so much to the flow, he's aggressive on the boards, and is a solid defender. I'll take Eifert in the starting line up and Wheeler coming off the bench this year.

Great post. Too many attribute athleticism to being better when that's not true in many cases. Eifert brings so much to the flow, he's aggressive on the boards, and is a solid defender. I'll take Eifert in the starting line up and Wheeler coming off the bench this year.
For me, it isn’t who starts. I prefer to see certain lineups play together. The lineup with Haarms, Eastern Ana Wheeler together appears pretty strong at defending the rim. So , if we need to stop the other team from getting into the lane, I like those three together. I also like Wheeler playing with Evan if we need shooters on the floor offensively and/or we need to spread the defense.

Wheeler will get plenty of minutes. I would imagine some games he will get the start, but, I am not sure today is that day being on the road.

Reactions: anon_y5n942o85fk69
This debate about who should be starting is indicative of the current state of Purdue's roster. Neither Wheeler nor Eifert are good enough to be starters. That's a failure on Painter's part.

I disagree with those of you downplaying the value/importance of starting. Whenever a coach picks you as one of the starters, that's his way of saying that you are one of the best 5 players on the team and give the team the best chance to win. It's even more important nowadays because the starters get their names announced and their faces displayed on TV. There's some value behind that stuff, and it is a recruiting tool. Whenever top recruits see players like Eifert starting at Purdue on TV, they change the channel.

I really haven’t seen Wheeler create his own shot as of yet. That’s where he’s behind Hummel and Vince, as a stretch 4. Pretty much just a catch and shoot guy.

This debate about who should be starting is indicative of the current state of Purdue's roster. Neither Wheeler nor Eifert are good enough to be starters. That's a failure on Painter's part.

I disagree with those of you downplaying the value/importance of starting. Whenever a coach picks you as one of the starters, that's his way of saying that you are one of the best 5 players on the team and give the team the best chance to win. It's even more important nowadays because the starters get their names announced and their faces displayed on TV. There's some value behind that stuff, and it is a recruiting tool. Whenever top recruits see players like Eifert starting at Purdue on TV, they change the channel.
I agree starting is a big statement. To me it shows he values eifert more as a player when wheeler brings soooo much more to the table.

Reactions: IUhaterade
You obviously haven't seen wheeler play the last couple games. Small sample size, but he is going to be really good

Reactions: Purdue85

I think you are overthinking this. Recruits aren’t deciding whether to come to Purdue based on whether Eifert or Wheeler starts.

It's Matt Painter who has always downplayed the importance of starting. I agree that most kids grow up in systems where the starters are the best players. But as you said, the goal is to put your best team on the floor. Your five best players may not start. Many of us wanted to see both Hammons and Haas on the floor more, because they were two of the best players on the team. But it created bad match-ups. If a player, especially a freshman, gets sufficient playing time, he is not going to feel like he is being slighted. Based on what I have seen and read, Wheeler is pretty happy with how things worked out for him in the last game.

When Painter thinks Wheeler is ready to start, he'll start. Some people have these very bizarre conspiracy theories about why Eifert is starting, as if Painter will sacrifice wins for some hidden reason. I'm sure that if they know anything about basketball and were able to watch the team practice, they would probably understand why Painter is doing it his way.

Reactions: chiboiler7
I think you are overthinking this. Recruits aren’t deciding whether to come to Purdue based on whether Eifert or Wheeler starts.
I disagree. The starting 5 are the most visible players on Purdue's team. When you pull up the box score, the stats of the starting 5 are the first 5 players listed. If you ask any college basketball player if they want to start or come off the bench, they will ALWAYS say they want to start!

Reactions: purduepat1969

We are talking about the guy that had 2 rebounds against Maryland aren’t we?

It's Matt Painter who has always downplayed the importance of starting. I agree that most kids grow up in systems where the starters are the best players. But as you said, the goal is to put your best team on the floor. Your five best players may not start. Many of us wanted to see both Hammons and Haas on the floor more, because they were two of the best players on the team. But it created bad match-ups. If a player, especially a freshman, gets sufficient playing time, he is not going to feel like he is being slighted. Based on what I have seen and read, Wheeler is pretty happy with how things worked out for him in the last game.

When Painter thinks Wheeler is ready to start, he'll start. Some people have these very bizarre conspiracy theories about why Eifert is starting, as if Painter will sacrifice wins for some hidden reason. I'm sure that if they know anything about basketball and were able to watch the team practice, they would probably understand why Painter is doing it his way.
If Matt Painter is the only college coach that downplays the importance of starting, it doesn't make him right. One could argue that might be part of his struggles recruiting the top talent. The best players ALWAYS want to start. It's that plain and simple. Your example of Haas and Hammons isn't valid. There is only one center position. Therefore, you couldn't start them both. If Haas was better than Hammons (or vice versa), you would start the best one as the center.

It's foolish to think that Eifert isn't being given some level preferential treatment. If he walked on at Illinois or Rutgers, he wouldn't play. Sorry. That's just how it is. That's favoritism and it due to Eifert's father being a former Purdue player.

If Matt Painter is the only college coach that downplays the importance of starting, it doesn't make him right. One could argue that might be part of his struggles recruiting the top talent. The best players ALWAYS want to start. It's that plain and simple. Your example of Haas and Hammons isn't valid. There is only one center position. Therefore, you couldn't start them both. If Haas was better than Hammons (or vice versa), you would start the best one as the center.

It's foolish to think that Eifert isn't being given some level preferential treatment. If he walked on at Illinois or Rutgers, he wouldn't play. Sorry. That's just how it is. That's favoritism and it due to Eifert's father being a former Purdue player.
I think you have a good imagination. First, you are in the minds of high school kids, and you imagine you know what they are thinking when they see Eifert... As if a high schooler would even know all the subtleties behind this inconsequential message board issue. Then you decide that Eifert is getting preferential treatment for some odd reason. Let me break it to you. I take Painter at his word. He starts those kids whose practice performance justifies starting. When Wheeler performs better than Eifert in practice, he will start.

I don’t think GE has done so much as lose the job as AW has done to win it.
AW just brings a different dimension on both ends. I think the more he plays, the better he gets.
I don't think he starts. I thought there was a reasonably good chance he would start "at home" against Maryland after Purdue lost a couple since that is when a shakeup happens if it does. Consequently, I don't think he starts today...but depending on what is goining on will get in quicker.

If I could write the script the way I wanted...and I can't (and highly unlikely to be successful)... Purdue would continue to win and they would be close games. Players would be put in positions where there was some failure for teaching points in practice, but Purdue would still win. Competion for all to improve those "weaker areas in each players game" due to visual struggles "while Purdue still wins" and players improving outside their comfort zone...all improving weak areas...all remaining hungry...comfortable, but not 100% secure in playing time.

Then, perhaps in the Big tourney the reins are removed, everyone is hungry...perhaps an alteration in starters, weak areas have been improved...scouting reports altered on the team there is no holding back allowing the team to peak at exactly the right time before teams can get a good understanding how to beat Purdue.

Won't happen I know, but it is the script I would want...even if "somewhat" of a fairy tale.

That’s the point though. Painter needs to let him learn on the fly. Let him make mistakes during games and not have a quick hook.
Keady (and even Painter) has been known to put a guy on the bench right after a mistake. Let him work through it.
Only with players who’s upside outweighs their potential mistakes. Any of painter’s high profile players have been able to play through mistakes. This is just a biased take

No, Haas and Hammons is a great example, because on occasion it happened. We had a twin towers line-up with Hammons playing PF. Hammons was mobile and had a soft shot from outside. They were two of the best players on the team, but Painter didn't like the match-ups most of the time.

All starters are given preferential treatment. But where does this conspiracy stuff originate? What is your source that it's because of his father? This is the crazy stuff I was referring to. If this crazy conspiracy theory was correct, don't you think he would have been given a scholarship to come to Purdue? Purdue had one to give when he walked on. And don't you think he would have been a starter before this year?

Kendall Stephens' dad also played for Purdue, but Kendall transferred because his playing time was dwindling. There is absolutely nothing there.

Reactions: tjreese and mathboy
No, Haas and Hammons is a great example, because on occasion it happened. We had a twin towers line-up with Hammons playing PF. Hammons was mobile and had a soft shot from outside. They were two of the best players on the team, but Painter didn't like the match-ups most of the time.

All starters are given preferential treatment. But where does this conspiracy stuff originate? What is your source that it's because of his father? This is the crazy stuff I was referring to. If this crazy conspiracy theory was correct, don't you think he would have been given a scholarship to come to Purdue? Purdue had one to give when he walked on. And don't you think he would have been a starter before this year?

Kendall Stephens' dad also played for Purdue, but Kendall transferred because his playing time was dwindling. There is absolutely nothing there.
Opinion of position is a dichotomy in all of humanity. Many have a belief and look for supporting evidence. Some have evidence that is an impetus to opinion…and then other times the lines between the two routes are blurred.

Answer this. Would Grady Eifert see any playing time on the other Big Ten teams? Would he see playing time on VA Tech, FSU, ND, or Texas?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT