ADVERTISEMENT

Does Brohm want to get fired?

Brohm is a victim of his own early success. Expectations were through the roof after what he did with Hazell's guys. Then bringing in highly ranked recruits (3 of whom are/will be All-Americans).

I can't place why exactly things haven't panned out in terms of wins-losses, but it's unfortunate for him that he hasn't been able to translate all the good things that have happened into 7, 8, or 9 win seasons.

Brohm is a victim of his own early success. Expectations were through the roof after what he did with Hazell's guys. Then bringing in highly ranked recruits (3 of whom are/will be All-Americans).

I can't place why exactly things haven't panned out in terms of wins-losses, but it's unfortunate for him that he hasn't been able to translate all the good things that have happened into 7, 8, or 9 win seasons.
How many times do we have to say defense,defense,defense! to explain why we don't have a better record.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Brohm is not going to get fired. I still believe he can bring success but he’s obviously going to have to change some things or this will continue. 1. Diaco is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole with his defensive scheme. The proof is that the players have not bought in and don’t believe in it. They look absolutely lost and couldn’t stop a wet paper bag. I think he’s trying to force a system without having the personnel to pull it off. That falls on Brohm. He is responsible. Same thing goes for the Special Teams. Brohm is responsible. Put coaches in there who can succeed at this level. Bottom line is that I think Purdue has a personnel problem and it’s not just with the players. That’s the coaching staff too.

I’m kind of tired of giving him the benefit of the doubt. There is things that he has done to make Purdue more appealing but at the end of the day putting together a winning program is the name of the game. He signed a huge new contract and since has gone 6-11. We have been spinning our wheels in mediocrity or below for the last 13 years or so. But l will give him one more year since everyone keeps say 2021 is the year. Then he will have no excuses. He will have Juniors and Seniors of his own recruits and the program should be ready to go and have at least 7 wins. Now I know it’s just a game and I never get too up or down about anything but it’s a leisure to get away from the real world for a while and it’s more fun when your team you follow has success

After 61 years on this earth and 43 of them as a Purdue fan, I have come to two conclusions. There is a God and there is nothing, and I mean nothing, more frustrating than being a Purdue sports fan.
I am a lifelonf Purdue fan (51 years on this earth), Reds fan since the earliest age I can remember and a Bengals fan for15 years.

• Sad
Reactions: Riveting

seems like this year we get off to good starts in the first half, then other teams make adjustments, we can't counter them. There's too much talent on this teams offense not to overcome that.

I’m kind of tired of giving him the benefit of the doubt. There is things that he has done to make Purdue more appealing but at the end of the day putting together a winning program is the name of the game. He signed a huge new contract and since has gone 6-11. We have been spinning our wheels in mediocrity or below for the last 13 years or so. But l will give him one more year since everyone keeps say 2021 is the year. Then he will have no excuses. He will have Juniors and Seniors of his own recruits and the program should be ready to go and have at least 7 wins. Now I know it’s just a game and I never get too up or down about anything but it’s a leisure to get away from the real world for a while and it’s more fun when your team you follow has success
Who do you want to replace him with that we know will be an upgrade?

Who do you want to replace him with that we know will be an upgrade?
I never really said anything about firing him. Just expecting more. Especially next year. I wouldn’t have a clue who would come here and be better. As I’ve stated before, he definitely brought a vibe and a hype that the program needed but at some point I would like to turn that into wins.

Reactions: NVboiler
In fairness, Brohm had a better record than Schiano in his first year. Transfers can plug a lot of holes, but eventually to have a healthy sustainable program you have to grow your talent. Jury is still out on that one.
In all fairness, brohm was was using hazell's recruits as his starters his first year and not his own!

I wasn't a huge fan of Hope. However, he produced better results than Brohm has produced at 1/5th the price. Brohm was great until he received his contract extension. as for his recruiting success, if you look at it, his recruiting rankings were based on players primarily at three positions. And instead of recruiting 4 star linemen or 4 star LBs, if he saw a 4 star receiver available, he signed him. he built tremendous depth at receiver, which looked nice on his overall recruiting class ratings, but created huge holes /weaknesses in other places that need filling. i distinctly remember one year when fans wanted us to sign a certain 4 star linebacker, and an elite offensive guard, and we signed a 4 star receiver instead. The guard was from Indiana and went to Iowa. and how many 4 star QBs did we really need? and now we're converting another QB into a TE ? if we needed a TE, it's better to recruit one rather than trying to convert a QB into one.

Success starts in the trenches. Even mediocre skill players will have success if given enough time he time for recruiting undersized linemen and trying to bulk them up by redshirting them is a thing of the past. Most elite linemen have already bulked up as much as they are going to bulk up in high school. look at Moore. and look at what he was doing strength wise in high school. He was already bulked up and strong when he arrived. the same is true for every high school elite players. redshirting for the purpose of bulking up and adding weight is a thing of the past. and we're seeing the results. You need to start with a 280-300 pound lineman who is already strong and work on developing his skills and fundamental techniques. Our assistant line coaches are doing a terrible job at developing linemen. look at Neal and his development! he is worse today than he was 2 years ago. We've turned a projected first round pick into a maybe 5th round pick at best.

In all fairness, brohm was was using hazell's recruits as his starters his first year and not his own!
An overly reductive argument. Brohm had a lot of experienced players his first year, regardless of who recruited them. The fact that this year's team is young is due to misses in the 2 recruiting classes prior to Brohm's arrival.

As a reminder, the defensive starters in Brohm's first year (2017) went like this:
DE: Senior, 5th year
DT: Senior, Soph
LB: Senior, R-Soph, 5th year
CB: 5th year, 5th year
S: Senior, Soph

Some home run transfers in 2017 also helped that situation. That is indisputable.

Reactions: MisterBlack7
An overly reductive argument. Brohm had a lot of experienced players his first year, regardless of who recruited them. The fact that this year's team is young is due to misses in the 2 recruiting classes prior to Brohm's arrival.

As a reminder, the defensive starters in Brohm's first year (2017) went like this:
DE: Senior, 5th year
DT: Senior, Soph
LB: Senior, R-Soph, 5th year
CB: 5th year, 5th year
S: Senior, Soph

Some home run transfers in 2017 also helped that situation. That is indisputable.
And his first class was a thrown together on the fly mish-mash as far as the HS prospects. Hardly any of the 2017 kids left I don’t think.

And his first class was a thrown together on the fly mish-mash as far as the HS prospects. Hardly any of the 2017 kids left I don’t think.
Yes, that 2017 class is the one with the giant holes. It was the transition class recruited by Hazell and Parker with Brohm coming in very late. Hence the tiny senior class.

Yes, that 2017 class is the one with the giant holes. It was the transition class recruited by Hazell and Parker with Brohm coming in very late. Hence the tiny senior class.
If you look at the 2016 and 2017 recruiting classes, that should make up most of our upperclassmen, it’s pretty bare bones. I still think the 3-4 is a bad scheme for our personnel tho.

Reactions: Boiler8285
I wasn't a huge fan of Hope. However, he produced better results than Brohm has produced at 1/5th the price. Brohm was great until he received his contract extension. as for his recruiting success, if you look at it, his recruiting rankings were based on players primarily at three positions. And instead of recruiting 4 star linemen or 4 star LBs, if he saw a 4 star receiver available, he signed him. he built tremendous depth at receiver, which looked nice on his overall recruiting class ratings, but created huge holes /weaknesses in other places that need filling. i distinctly remember one year when fans wanted us to sign a certain 4 star linebacker, and an elite offensive guard, and we signed a 4 star receiver instead. The guard was from Indiana and went to Iowa. and how many 4 star QBs did we really need? and now we're converting another QB into a TE ? if we needed a TE, it's better to recruit one rather than trying to convert a QB into one.

Success starts in the trenches. Even mediocre skill players will have success if given enough time he time for recruiting undersized linemen and trying to bulk them up by redshirting them is a thing of the past. Most elite linemen have already bulked up as much as they are going to bulk up in high school. look at Moore. and look at what he was doing strength wise in high school. He was already bulked up and strong when he arrived. the same is true for every high school elite players. redshirting for the purpose of bulking up and adding weight is a thing of the past. and we're seeing the results. You need to start with a 280-300 pound lineman who is already strong and work on developing his skills and fundamental techniques. Our assistant line coaches are doing a terrible job at developing linemen. look at Neal and his development! he is worse today than he was 2 years ago. We've turned a projected first round pick into a maybe 5th round pick at best.

Couldn't agree more. We are losing the games in the trenchs. All the skilled offensive players don't matter when the QB has a pocket that collapses in 1.5 seconds. Interior defense is just as bad. I would not consider Brohm a great recruiter as he has not addressed the team's obvious needs. Record speaks for itself.

You are one of the most clueless people on this board and again have no clue how football recruiting works. Maybe you should stick to track , cross country or whatever non team sport your son coaches. You said that Brohm didn’t recruit and 4 star lineman. Where is your proof ? There is a difference in recruiting and signing. Also you said he signed a 4 star WR instead of a 4 star LB and 4 star lineman. Who would those 2 be ? Because again I will bet anything that he was recruiting them and yet they chose someone else. You also have no clue how developing lineman work. Take a look at Iowa and WI and see how many true freshman lineman usually start for them. Very few. They redshirt them and bulk them up with good weight. Very very few offensive lineman enter college anywhere near as strong at 18 years old as they are at 21 and 22. Those are facts. You’ve made it very clear that you don’t like Brohm and to be honest really don’t seem to like Purdue. You also forget how bad it was just a short 4 years ago. We weren’t even competitive in almost all games. Some serious revisionist history.

Reactions: Beorik
This group in place right now is not fixing it, even in "a few more years"...four years in and they have not come close to fixing it.

This topic came up some time ago...namely, after year one when Purdue graduated much of the OL and never addressed the matter as if it came as a shock to them when it happened.

Save Karlaftis, they have not recruited anyone that is a difference-maker at any position on the defensive side of the ball, and, whereas initially Brohm seemed to have an advantage with what he called and ran offensively, that has vanished...the only one confused now is him, by his own calls.

Purdue called timeout today...wasted a timeout actually, on a crucial 3rd down and then came out and ran a garbage play that would not have even worked had the awful past not been just that...and that has happened multiple times this year.

Today was just bad in every way...but, there have been signs all season actually...it just culminated with an epic fail today in about every way.

They have the players

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT