ADVERTISEMENT

DJ Allen enters transfer portal

True freshman rush end DJ Allen enters the NCAA Transfer Portal. The 2024 recruit was an early enrollee with the Boilermakers this spring.

200w.gif

Kids want to play right away and now they have plenty of freedom to try to do that. This kid saw Purdue take 3 guys out of the portal at his position that are all clearly ahead of him so he bails. They'll be picking up another from the portal to fill this rush end 5 role.

Reactions: pboiler18
all this plus ex commit rush end Keylan Abrams was at Neb this past weekend
I’m not convinced this staff knows what they are doing between the white lines but players coming and going doesn’t bother me.

What does…saying we don’t have 6-7 win talent when we aren’t maximizing what we do on the field.

Reactions: Bippus33
Well that stinks, met him and kids got a picture w/ him after the spring game. Wish all the best, very respectful young man

Problem is no one will take the other side. 😁 💵
Hell no I won’t. Haha

Since I like to play devils advocate though…

Maybe he’s homesick? Maybe he didnt jive with the staff like he thought? Maybe he thinks they are horrible? Who knows but maybe he’s a good kid with a good head on his shoulders leaving a situation hat wasn’t going to work?

Hindsight will be 20/20 here for sure but there’s always the other side of a transfer being just what a kid needs to get it going. We have had plenty of kids come here and make the most out of it.

Willing to give this guy the initial benefit of the doubt.

Hell no I won’t. Haha

Maybe he’s homesick? Maybe he didnt jive with the staff like he thought? Maybe he thinks they are horrible? Who knows but maybe he’s a good kid with a good head on his shoulders leaving a situation hat wasn’t going to work?

Hindsight will be 20/20 here for sure but there’s always the other side of a transfer being just what a kid needs to get it going. We have had plenty of kids come here and make the most out of it.

I think he should at least give it a year to make a decision and grow up a bit.

Hell no I won’t. Haha

How would a frosh have any ability to know anything about whether the coaching staff is "horrible?"

This guy looked like a tall WR. He's a 220 edge rusher who was 5th on the depth chart. He probably wants to play and wouldn't have here barring injuries. He can go to UAB or something and get some snaps or wait a year and get a chance. Or wait a year and get recruited over in the portal again.

Since he arrived early and played in our spring game, would this semester count towards his eligibility? Will he still have 4 years plus a red shirt year? Or does he lose a year?

This guy looked like a tall WR. He's a 220 edge rusher who was 5th on the depth chart. He probably wants to play and wouldn't have here barring injuries. He can go to UAB or something and get some snaps or wait a year and get a chance. Or wait a year and get recruited over in the portal again.
The portal has made it really easy to just bail...not necessarily saying that happened here.

Our staff saw something in him. He had committed to UCF before decommitting and coming to Purdue. Looks like a flipper and probably was not going to be a keeper anyway.

If CRW can develop Heldt like he did with KJ and Scourton, we should not have trouble attracting Rush Ends to this defense.

Our staff saw something in him. He had committed to UCF before decommitting and coming to Purdue. Looks like a flipper and probably was not going to be a keeper anyway.

If CRW can develop Heldt like he did with KJ and Scourton, we should not have trouble attracting Rush Ends to this defense.
Yeah he was great in HS and I’m sure a great athlete, but when you see him up close vs Heldt, Sillah, Madden, and Ojata it’s clear he had work to do. Which of course he does, he should still be in HS. Just saying he’s not ready to play at the B1G level yet.

Reactions: Kocher101
Yeah he was great in HS and I’m sure a great athlete, but when you see him up close vs Heldt, Sillah, Madden, and Ojata it’s clear he had work to do. Which of course he does, he should still be in HS. Just saying he’s not ready to play at the B1G level yet.
He def had some growing to do in the weight room to play DE at the Big Ten level. Look at the growth Ryan Kerrigan did to his size from his frosh to senior year…..

DJ is from Germantown which is like the Carmel to Memphis. I’m sure he can get playing time at a smaller school down south, grown into his body then get a larger NIL deal later on in his career.

Reactions: HUD628
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT