ADVERTISEMENT

Did you attend the same HS as...

I live in Ossian 200 yards away from Heyerly’s bakery. Norwell is 2-3 miles away.

I grew up down 800 N. Not to far from Uniondale....family sold the farm when I was in college.

We were friends with the Heyerly's...my first job as a kid was washing those giant windows every Saturday...and they use to bring their dogs out to our field every Saturday in the summer to train them to point...and I'd wake up with 2 dozen donuts on our counter.

Reactions: punaj
You never go thru Ossian and not stop at Heyerly's ………..it's a tradition
mvimg-20180131-085315.jpg

bake-700x525.jpg

I grew up down 800 N. Not to far from Uniondale....family sold the farm when I was in college.

We were friends with the Heyerly's...my first job as a kid was washing those giant windows every Saturday...and they use to bring their dogs out to our field every Saturday in the summer to train them to point...and I'd wake up with 2 dozen donuts on our counter.

Thanks for posting. We enjoying driving those country roads. Probably drove past your old farm more times than I can count.

Reactions: Bears1980
We have a few days until our big game with UMD. I thought it would be interesting if any of you went to the same HS as a Purdue BB player and did you attend at the same time? What memories do you have of them as a player and person?

I attended FW Concordia, where Eugene Parker and Ricky Hall attended and they both predated me quite a bit. So I really don't have a great story to add to my own thread but was curious if others might....

Same HS as Kip Jones, though I was already out when he was in HS. He was a great shooter in HS but I think all the weight lifting in college ruined his touch.

Same HS as Kip Jones, though I was already out when he was in HS. He was a great shooter in HS but I think all the weight lifting in college ruined his touch.
I worked with Kip in Auburn in the late 90's. Teased him a lot about his free throw shooting at PU (we were in college at same time). Very nice guy. Also worked with Luke Recker's dad for many years in Indiana and Iowa. Lots of good stories from both guys about B1G basketball.

No one who played basketball at my high school, Hammond Gavit, has played at Purdue. However Joey Wright played for Gavit and then played on the Texas team which beat Purdue in the NCAA 2nd round in 1990. He lead Texas in scoring in that game with 20 points. He was at Gavit many years after me, so I did not know him. More recently Mark Barnhizer served as both the AD and boys basketball coach at Gavit for the 2014-15 school year.

Graduated from Bishop Dwenger..........no future PU basketball players during my years. But my sisters' graduated about 9 years earlier when Greg Eifert played ball. I remember watching him as a youth. I do remember during my years Dwenger vs Concord at the coliseum.........Shawn Kemp got a pass right from the opening tip, and threw down a dunk that absolutely stunned me. Man among boys.
I had a bunch of Dwenger guys in my house at Purdue.

Reactions: PU pit bull
Yeah, me. But you don't remember if you took HS chem! Someone made a lasting impression on you!
Don't feel bad, you were not the only one. The one thing I remember about the last two years of HS is how much I hated it. The only thing I really thought about was getting out and getting on with my life. I went back and tried to remember the names of teachers i had and only come up with a few.

Interesting, sorry you had a bad experience.

For me, football, basketball, track, golf and baseball, participated in all of them over 4 HS years. I loved HS. Not always the best teachers, but some were very interesting (I have some very interesting and funny stories and it reminded me that I didn't want to be one of those teachers!).

All I had to do was go to school, play sports, study a little (well, actually, a lot). Dad and Mom were paying all the bills to provide the 4 of us a stable home. Did have a part time job, but it didn't consume much time - 10 to 15 hours a week.

I couldn't imagine it would be much better, but adding a spiritual side to life, made it much better.

Reactions: Inspector100
Interesting, sorry you had a bad experience.

For me, football, basketball, track, golf and baseball, participated in all of them over 4 HS years. I loved HS. Not always the best teachers, but some were very interesting (I have some very interesting and funny stories and it reminded me that I didn't want to be one of those teachers!).

All I had to do was go to school, play sports, study a little (well, actually, a lot). Dad and Mom were paying all the bills to provide the 4 of us a stable home. Did have a part time job, but it didn't consume much time - 10 to 15 hours a week.

I couldn't imagine it would be much better, but adding a spiritual side to life, made it much better.
I participated in a sport outside of HS and have became a different person over the last 30 year or so. As a result of my experience, my kids were treated to the "don't do it the way I did HS" treatment. Went on to have a very successful career with a fortune 50 company and would not change much. Lafayette was just not for me.

Reactions: Dandelion1972
You guys impress me with your memories. I went to Anderson, and I hardly remember anything a about it, let alone what players were there. I do recall Rod Freeman, who was a basketball player. His dad coached swimming, my sport, and then followed his kid to some mid sized college. Hell, I cant even remember the names of the girls I dated in high school.

I went to the same school as the Splendid Splinter who played with my dad in high school. His son, Jimmy Jr was in my class and graduated with me. We played a lot of HORSE in his driveway!
My favorite basketball memory though was playing for Mike McCroskey in 7th grade. His coaching style was one of the best and those memories have stayed with me throughout life.

El Toro High School: Jeff Arnold, He was about a decade ahead of me. He stopped to visit with Coach during one of my practices. I remember we were doing a drill that involved full court, no dribble layups to get the ball out, and down the floor faster. I went in for a layup and thought I hit the wall along the baseline, but It was just Jeff Arnold walking under the hoop. Let me tell you that is one tall and solid man. Coach asked me later if I got a chance to talk to him since I had been accepted to Purdue, and that is when I found out who I had run into….

Reactions: TX4GB and Purdue85
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT