ADVERTISEMENT

Did you attend the same HS as...

BoilerBulldog

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2011
New Hampshire
We have a few days until our big game with UMD. I thought it would be interesting if any of you went to the same HS as a Purdue BB player and did you attend at the same time? What memories do you have of them as a player and person?

I attended FW Concordia, where Eugene Parker and Ricky Hall attended and they both predated me quite a bit. So I really don't have a great story to add to my own thread but was curious if others might....

Reactions: Purdue85
I attended Wayne High School in Ft. Wayne, IN. I was there when Alan Eldridge was there and played JV when he was varsity. He was one year ahead off me I think. He was a really good high school player, great 3-point shooter, and had all the confidence in the world. He never seemed to play the way I thought he was capable at Purdue, but he is still a favorite of mine.

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
I was at Lafayette Jeff with Ryan Berning but he was a couple of years ahead of me. I graduated with the worst Indiana Mr. Basketball possibly ever. Do you remember Mark Jewell who ended up going to Iowa. I think he ended up lasting two years there and rarely played so he left.

Gerald Thomas (player on Connersville's 1972 State Championship team) was an undergrad at Purdue when I was in grad school. Purdue won the NIT in 1974 with Thomas. Missy Taylor was a Boilermaker for a year before she transferred to Louisville.

Richmond Red Devils - Woody and Chad Austin

I was an acquaintance w Chad as we were both athletes in HS, both went to PU, etc, but he was a year older than me. I would see him at Wiley Hall once in a while, while visiting friends, and we would say hello and give a head nod. Bout it.

1992 State Champs, baby!!

I went to Kokomo as did my father. My father played with Jimmy Rayl in the late 50's. I played with his son in the mid 80's. Talk about having a huge shadow over your shoulder.

Neither were Purdue players but the splinter was kind of big. Played many games in his driveway growing up and he can still shoot it today.

Matt Waddell, Tipton, IN. 17 years between my class and Matt's. I was long gone before Matt. While Matt had a darn good career at Purdue and got to play with Big Dog and Cuonzo. I felt like he lost a step after he came back from the ACL injury and he could have been even better. Smart player, good assist man, and shot well because he understood what a good shot was. Shame they lost in the sectionals to Rossville his senior year.

Unfortunately, Tipton is also the hometown of Derek "tripper" Elston. Went to school with his father Darrell, who played for the Tarheels and briefly in the ABA and NBA. From my HS days, all I can say is like father, like son.

Reactions: Frankie611
South Bend Clay. Was in school with Jaraan Cornell. Best memory was in the state championship (before class) we were down very late in the game against the favored Bryce Drew and Valpo, but Jaraan nailed a couple of 3's and I think Clay stole an inbound pass too to send the game in OT. I remember Jaraan swishing a 3 to tie it with no time left. Clay won the championship in OT and I think ESPN rated it one of the (if not THE) top HS game of the year. Jaraan was a sophomore at the time. Lee Nailon was also on that team who played in the NBA. Awesome memory. Thanks for the thread!

Ft Wayne North-- I was a soph on reserve BB while Matts dad- Dave Painter played varsity his SR year---- he was really a tough small forward-- meanwhile then my Sr. year we finished second in state finals to Indy Washington and played against Bill Kellar and Ralph Taylor, both on that team

Reactions: neckster87
We have a few days until our big game with UMD. I thought it would be interesting if any of you went to the same HS as a Purdue BB player and did you attend at the same time? What memories do you have of them as a player and person?

I attended FW Concordia, where Eugene Parker and Ricky Hall attended and they both predated me quite a bit. So I really don't have a great story to add to my own thread but was curious if others might....
Bellmont high in Decatur. Graduated in 1977. Kip Jones was maybe 7 years later. Best Purdue related memory was playing against Roosevelt Barnes when we were seniors. Wayne had a starting front line of all Div 1 players, Rosie, Al Gooden who played at Ball State and a 6'9" center with a last name of Bates who went JUCO and then finished at Mich State. We were 16-0 when we played them and led the whole game until the last three minutes but lost by 7. We played a mile over our heads the whole game. Our best player was my buddy Herb Schlemmer who was an NAIA recruit at Tri State in Angola. The rest of us were a bunch of guys who could only dream about playing in college. I still replay some of that game in my head 39 years later.

Went to New Pal with John Allison. I was 1 year ahead of him. We had had a very strong team my senior year, 1997 that eventually lost to Petey Jackson and Delta in the Regionals in the Wigwam. Allison swatted a ton of shots and had a ton of dunks. It was pretty cool going to a high school game and seeing multiple dunks. He was fairly athletic for his size. I thought it was a bit of a stretch for Keady to go after John as he was really skinny in high school. I think Keady thought John would bulk up and follow in the footsteps of a Reilly or Scheffler.

Went to New Pal with John Allison. I was 1 year ahead of him. We had had a very strong team my senior year, 1997 that eventually lost to Petey Jackson and Delta in the Regionals in the Wigwam. Allison swatted a ton of shots and had a ton of dunks. It was pretty cool going to a high school game and seeing multiple dunks. He was fairly athletic for his size. I thought it was a bit of a stretch for Keady to go after John as he was really skinny in high school. I think Keady thought John would bulk up and follow in the footsteps of a Reilly or Scheffler.

Didn't go to school with him but worked with Craig Riley for 5 years. Good guy, good structural engineer and one big dude.

Didn't go to school with him but worked with Craig Riley for 5 years. Good guy, good structural engineer and one big dude.
I met Reilly a couple of times in Broad Ripple (the Mineshaft) well after his playing days. Yes, big dude and nice, down the earth guy.

Craig Reilly's dad was my gym teacher at Franklin Jr High. I shot baskets with Alan Eldridge several times but he was a little kid while I was in high school and his dad, AJ was North Side's assistant coach under By Hey.

Not Purdue related but my kids went to Luers and I have gotten to know Thomas Hammock (running back coach with the Ravens,) Kevin Kiermaier (Tampa Bay,) and Deshawn Thomas (Austin Spurs) among many other awesome athletes over the years.

Reactions: PurdueInFW
Ft Wayne North-- I was a soph on reserve BB while Matts dad- Dave Painter played varsity his SR year---- he was really a tough small forward-- meanwhile then my Sr. year we finished second in state finals to Indy Washington and played against Bill Kellar and Ralph Taylor, both on that team
Very cool, I had no idea CMP's dad was from the Fort.

Reactions: nagemj02
Our CLHS team in 1989 was very solid (lost in OT to Elkhart Memorial in S16) and the SAC came down to us and Harding. Riley and Titus Hunter (who I think went to Iowa but never made grades??? Maybe a fellow Fort guy can clue me in) were amazing. We played them for the SAC title at our place and I think we lost by 1-2 points. I just remember it was the loudest I've ever heard a gym - including Mackey - and I still remember Titus slamming an alley oop from a pass that was barely inside the half court line. Great stuff.

Not Purdue related, but I graduated with Avery Sheets at McCutcheon, who went on to play at Butler, and went to school with Clayton Richard (my 8th grade year and throughout HS), who should have been in my class but his dad Barry held him back.

I went to the same High School as former football player Jason Werner and current basketball player Bridget Perry.She is a native of Mooresville and Roncalli is on Indianapolis southside,so someone went to a lot of trouble getting her there every day,at least for a few years.I am almost old enough to be Jasons grandfather and definitely old enough to be Bridgets.

Craig Reilly's dad was my gym teacher at Franklin Jr High. I shot baskets with Alan Eldridge several times but he was a little kid while I was in high school and his dad, AJ was North Side's assistant coach under By Hey.

Not Purdue related but my kids went to Luers and I have gotten to know Thomas Hammock (running back coach with the Ravens,) Kevin Kiermaier (Tampa Bay,) and Deshawn Thomas (Austin Spurs) among many other awesome athletes over the years.

Craig RILEY graduated from high school (Harding) with my wife - his father was not the Franklin Junior High gym teacher. That was Dave Riley who became long time girls coach at Northrop. Dave Riley was one of the finest people to coach anywhere in Indiana and served as a mentor to many boys and girls coaches in Northeastern Indiana. Dave was elected to the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame in 2008 and unfortunately passed away in 2013. Dave's oldest son Steve was the boys coach at Snider during the mid-90's.

AC Eldridge Alan's father and became the longtime boy's coach at Northrop. AC fielded outstanding Northrop teams in the 80's and had many an epic battle with Marion in those years.

Went to the same HS as Mike Phipps (football), Ray Eddy and Dutch Fehring.

Born after all of them had graduated.

Last edited:
I went to Perry Meridian High School on Indianapolis' south side. Herb Dove played while my sister was there (I was still in middle school) but I went to many games that he played in for the Falcons. That guy could jump out of the gym. I believe he was Academic All Big 10.

Katie Douglas was a sophomore there when I was a senior.

Our CLHS team in 1989 was very solid (lost in OT to Elkhart Memorial in S16) and the SAC came down to us and Harding. Riley and Titus Hunter (who I think went to Iowa but never made grades??? Maybe a fellow Fort guy can clue me in) were amazing. We played them for the SAC title at our place and I think we lost by 1-2 points. I just remember it was the loudest I've ever heard a gym - including Mackey - and I still remember Titus slamming an alley oop from a pass that was barely inside the half court line. Great stuff.
I was at that game as a 5th or 6th grader. I could tell you the starting 5 of that CLHS team that year.(Reinking, Patterson, Dellinger, Heoppner, Freeman). I was a ball boy and my dad was an assistant on that staff. I thought Harding ran us out that night and the dunk was huge. I seen a mention of Steve Riley of which I played for and Alan Eldridge who was my backcourt mate on his dad's AAU team. Had some nice battles with Brad Millers AAU team one summer.

I was at that game as a 5th or 6th grader. I could tell you the starting 5 of that CLHS team that year.(Reinking, Patterson, Dellinger, Heoppner, Freeman). I was a ball boy and my dad was an assistant on that staff. I thought Harding ran us out that night and the dunk was huge. I seen a mention of Steve Riley of which I played for and Alan Eldridge who was my backcourt mate on his dad's AAU team. Had some nice battles with Brad Millers AAU team one summer.
I forgot to mention that Craig Riley I believe graduated Harding in 88. Jason Edwards along with Titus and the coach's boy were they're studs in 89.

I'm surprised there are that many from Fort Wayne on this board. I went to HS at Elmhurst with Robert Littlejohn. He spent 1 year with Purdue if anyone remembers.

Reactions: punaj
I'm surprised there are that many from Fort Wayne on this board. I went to HS at Elmhurst with Robert Littlejohn. He spent 1 year with Purdue if anyone remembers.

I remember Littlejohn. Do you remember why he left Purdue? And where did he go after leaving?

I played baseball at Elmhurst little league for years - that was my childhood. My parents both graduated from Elmhurst High School in Ft Wayne around 69 or 70. My dad played there and tells me stories of a few big guys that he played with to this day that got recruited by Knight. He was an IU fan growing up but now is for the boilers because I went to school there.

Reactions: *4purdue*
I played baseball at Elmhurst little league for years - that was my childhood. My parents both graduated from Elmhurst High School in Ft Wayne around 69 or 70. My dad played there and tells me stories of a few big guys that he played with to this day that got recruited by Knight. He was an IU fan growing up but now is for the boilers because I went to school there.
They closed the school about 5 years ago. I hated to see that. I think most of the kids ended up at Wayne.

Crown Point HS...PU guard Dennis Gamauf was way older than me. My dad's favorite Crown Point player ever. He is a minister now in Michigan City.

More my age were former Bulldogs/Boilers, Anne Kvachkoff and John Brugos. Good people.

I attended Franklin Central, but graduated way before JJ. Went back to watch him when purdue was recruiting him. Also attended the regional game when they played and lost to North Central led by Eric Gordon. FC picked him up at 3/4 court with a double team, he would get frustrated and pull up from 25 feet, not sure he missed.

Graduated from Bishop Dwenger..........no future PU basketball players during my years. But my sisters' graduated about 9 years earlier when Greg Eifert played ball. I remember watching him as a youth. I do remember during my years Dwenger vs Concord at the coliseum.........Shawn Kemp got a pass right from the opening tip, and threw down a dunk that absolutely stunned me. Man among boys.

Graduate from Williams Henry Harrison High School in West Lafayette. Got to see Bobby (Buckets) Riddel play as he was a freshman when I was a senior. Got to take his sister to prom as well, although she went to CC. What an absolutely wonderful family!!

Also, got to watch Josh Whitman play football at HHS. He ended up at Illinois and played in the NFL for a few seasons. He is my personal choice for the next AD as he is a former high division football player and is experienced as the Washington St. Louis University AD right now.

Three guys from my high school (Rod Hicks, Darryl McQuitty and Dick Mitchell) all played at Purdue at the same time, well before my days. I played with Hick's sons and McQuitty was the AD when I was at Elwood.

ADVERTISEMENT